Awoo.

Sonic Colors: Not So Colorful?

crush40rocks

I'd go for that. Try for a line closer to the Adventure speed stages.

Edited by Shadic93

Sonic Colors is very good and I find it to be extremely replayable, but it isn't quite as polished as this gen's best Wii platformers like DKCR and SMG2. It's fun and has pretty good level design and flow, but the controls can feel a bit stiff and slippery at times, and the reuse of level designs can get tiresome.

I think Colors is the epitome of average Sonic gameplay, with a mediocre soundtrack (WITH GOD AWFUL VOCAL SONGS), very corny jokes, and ridiculous multiplayer. When it comes to the spectrum of modern Sonic games, it sits directly in the center.

That sounds awful doesn't it?

Don't get me wrong, I don't HATE the game (It's way better than Sonic 06, Heroes, Shadow, and Secret Rings will ever be), but it doesn't feel like "the best Sonic game in years" to me. I beat it and I HARDLY touch it. I feel like the only reason why people enjoy it is because there's no alternate gameplay and there's platforming (which retro fans love). That's fine and all, but if its all about basic Sonic gameplay (Running, platforming, etc), then make STELLAR levels. I can go into details about why I'm not phased by these levels, but its sorta late...

Colors, may be a step in the right direction, but Unleashed made that step first; even though it was in the form of "two steps forward, one step back". No one seems to remember that. Colors just did more with it, but not "more" in a way that I'd call a massive improvement. I'd give it a 6.5/10 at the end of the day.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just because someone else may like Sonic 2006 doesn't mean we'd make death threats to them. We're not savages.
Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1

We're all forgeting who made the game though.

The last two games that Sonic Team Wii made, were Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic and the Black Knight. Two of the most hated Sonic games ever made. For them to have stepped up so massively is nothing short of astounding. Of course design quirks from those former games still find their way through. I for one am certain that the 3D sections used the same movement system from SatSR and SatBK.

Seriously go and compare them, its uncanny.

I think that theses guys were playing it safe with this one. People may disagree with that, but given their past games I think its better that they weren't very flamboyant.

Sonic Team HD on the other hand started out with a massive bang with Unleashed, which had the biggest budget a Sonic game as seen in a while. I don't think Colours' budget was anywhere near the level of Unleashed.

Edited by Scar

Reception was mixed.

Most people just didn't give a damn because it was a spinoff.

To go more in-depth, I feel like that although Colors technically was the closest we've ever gotten to a straightforward Sonic title, it felt so.. gimmicky.

Every stage trope was the same: Eggman's amusement park / factory in space. The only differences (in pure background aesthetic) was that they followed sort of sub-tropes. Look, this stage is a theme park in space with palmtrees and stuff. This one is the same, but with candy! And this one's the same, with neon lights. And this one's the same but with roller coasters. This one's the same but with a slight Asian flair and underwater stuff. This one's the same but with a bit more greenery and construction, and this one is just a straight path down a laser cannon. They all had the same stuff, like the completely artificial feeling and Eggman-on-intercom-in-every-stage thing; and besides the foreground was usually completely lifeless besides the spare set of objects and miniscule stage gimmicks.

Although they didn't deviate from Sonic's gameplay too much, I feel like the Wisps were very intruding on the gameplay. This was probably because the only way you could ever take an alternate route was if you used one of those Wisps. What if you don't want to use a Wisp and instead blast through as vanilla Sonic? Well, then you could only take the main straightforward route... which is really boring. The stages are incredibly straightforward and short, and while 2.5D areas are set up much like controlling Sonic in Mario or Megaman level design (with all them blocks and junk), 3D areas are incredibly restricting and feel as on-rails as the Storybook games.. which is not surprising because Scar is quite right when he acknowledges Colors was developed by the same people.

The rest I don't really have a beef with, although the script is rather corny at times and the artificial feeling that Eggman's theme park gives off is sort of dull, but not unfitting because of what it is.

It's not a bad game, per se, but isn't a great game. It's kind of a decent-ish-good-ish game. Nothing remarkable to me.

I thought Secret Rings was generally liked?

It was alot better than Black Knight. And Secret Rings was pretty impressive work for 6 Months Development Time, and had great graphics, hell even today one of the best looking Wii games.Also the Idea by itself of controlling with the Wii-mote was cool at the time.

As I said before the reason why Black Knight,Secret Rings and Wii Werehog turned out so mediocore, because of certain circumstances. With Secret Rings they had bring out a near Wii-Launch game and thus didn't have much time. And then they had to make the Wii Unleashed and Black Knight and bring them out in fall/spring period and coudn't really focus on either, and so both of them turned out not so good.

I thought Secret Rings was generally liked?

I personally liked Secret Rings, but at this point, I've basically grown tired of that on-rails gameplay we're getting to much of now. Secret Rings feels like an alpha version of Colors in all honesty. It's not a bad game, but it just got tiring for me after awhile, especially with how they've kind of expanded on the formula with Unleashed and Colors. But hey, it's 10,000 times better then Black Knight. Hell, I think 06 is better then Black Knight.

I personally liked Secret Rings, but at this point, I've basically grown tired of that on-rails gameplay we're getting to much of now. Secret Rings feels like an alpha version of Colors in all honesty. It's not a bad game, but it just got tiring for me after awhile, especially with how they've kind of expanded on the formula with Unleashed and Colors. But hey, it's 10,000 times better then Black Knight. Hell, I think 06 is better then Black Knight.

At least Black Knight wasn't rifled with glitches.

But getting back on topic. Yeah I'm gonna go with Scar and say that Colors` budget was no wher near the level of Unleashed, and it shows. So hopefully they can make something spectacular. From the looks of the new teaser it seems they're sticking with all of the new moves(Butt Sliding, Drifting, and possibly the Quick Step), so maybe we will get level design that can make use of said moves, and not make the game feel like a racer.

Edited by Shadic93
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

And Secret Rings was pretty impressive work for 6 Months Development Time

I'm pretty sure Sonic & the Secret Rings was developed in one year.

I thought it was the best sonic game i'd played since sonic adventure 1. Going through it once was great. Getting the medals let you explore and get to know all new placed in all the stages. Extra's were okay. But I still do the egg shuttle now and then, and that is when I realise that I still really love the game. The stages are cool but the game takes a whole lot more than the one hour I spend to finish the original classcis so a save feature for an "egg shuttle" mode would be great.

Well anyway. It's not "that" special. It's still really good though, especially after they destroyed sonic's gameplay concept in unleashed

Edited by Jaouad

I can see where others can feel it's a bit bland and still not liking the Unleashed gameplay direction, but I personally really liked this game, and I feel it's the first main Sonic game on a console since 3&K to be legitimately good, not because of nostalgia or extreme subjectivity, a game that I could honestly recommended to someone who isn't a Sonic fan. I mean, I enjoy playing the Adventures once in a while, and I actually quite liked Black Knight, but there's no way I would recommend them to other people.

Edited by Ekaje
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's my favorite Sonic game to this very day. I noticed that I keep going back and replaying it a lot.

• Thumbs Up 1

In my opinion, Sonic Colors is not only the best 3-D Sonic game, but also the best Sonic game since Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I love almost everything about it. The graphics, the level design, the writing, and for once even the featured gimmick all help this game to be not a step, but a speed boost into the right direction. (I know, I know, that was really corny :P) But yeah, I thought it was awesome.

I honestly think it was the best 3D Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2.

It has a bit of a higher-edge for me than Sonic Unleashed, but I understand why some would like it better.

I liked the music minus vocal songs, the stages I enjoyed as well as the Wisps who I felt brought more to the gameplay than detracted, and generally I enjoyed the aesthetics, level layout, banter, and structure of it all. There were a few things like oontrols and better 3D sections for example I thought needed some fixing, but I really enjoyed it to beat it 100% twice so far (and a third time soon).

I thought it wasn't just a "step in the right direction," like Unleashed was, but a good game on it's own.

Now to make good go to great, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly think it was the best 3D Sonic game since Sonic Adventure 2.

It has a bit of a higher-edge for me than Sonic Unleashed, but I understand why some would like it better.

I liked the music minus vocal songs, the stages I enjoyed as well as the Wisps who I felt brought more to the gameplay than detracted, and generally I enjoyed the aesthetics, level layout, banter, and structure of it all. There were a few things like oontrols and better 3D sections for example I thought needed some fixing, but I really enjoyed it to beat it 100% twice so far (and a third time soon).

I thought it wasn't just a "step in the right direction," like Unleashed was, but a good game on it's own.

Now to make good go to great, though.

I agree with this alot. I had issues with Sonic Unleashed (though I loved the day time levels) you gotta look at it as a hole. Colors was perfect from beginning to end. To gimicks no nothing to upset me honestly. I see people like unleashed (im sure cause of graphics) but in the end of it. Honestly, the less story, the better for me. Sega's odd stories really just made me tilt my head. Whole werehog thing... chaos emeralds loosing there powers, the list goes on. Colors was straight to the point, and something I would like to see more from him. Voice acting I liked alot also. Music was the best since Sonic 2 for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think Colors is the epitome of average Sonic gameplay, with a mediocre soundtrack (WITH GOD AWFUL VOCAL SONGS), very corny jokes, and ridiculous multiplayer. When it comes to the spectrum of modern Sonic games, it sits directly in the center.

That sounds awful doesn't it?

Don't get me wrong, I don't HATE the game (It's way better than Sonic 06, Heroes, Shadow, and Secret Rings will ever be), but it doesn't feel like "the best Sonic game in years" to me. I beat it and I HARDLY touch it. I feel like the only reason why people enjoy it is because there's no alternate gameplay and there's platforming (which retro fans love). That's fine and all, but if its all about basic Sonic gameplay (Running, platforming, etc), then make STELLAR levels. I can go into details about why I'm not phased by these levels, but its sorta late...

Colors, may be a step in the right direction, but Unleashed made that step first; even though it was in the form of "two steps forward, one step back". No one seems to remember that. Colors just did more with it, but not "more" in a way that I'd call a massive improvement. I'd give it a 6.5/10 at the end of the day.

This is my opinion on the title.

I hyped Colors to death. When it came out, I played it, like twice. I never have played it since.

Not that it was really bad, but it wasn't really great either. I either continue playing Sonic games because they are so good and timeless, or they are so bad that it's hilarious to play. Since this one was dead center, there was no lasting appeal to me so I just kind of never played it again. I dunno.

May I ask what games have you replayed? Some gamers don't replay games until years after the game released. Even your list of modern Sonic games are still recent and you are saying that it is better than all of them except two(SA1 or SA2) which aren't even representative of the series anymore. I never played Colors, but it seems in comparison of recent Sonic games it is a gem and compared to games in general, it is just good.

I'd go for that. Try for a line closer to the Adventure speed stages.

I always thought Adventure speed stages relied more on dash pads than actual speed. They just need to nerf the boost to Colors level and not make it ridiculous hard to traverse a stage. Unleashed seemed unfair in some regards as it required you to boost and punished you for it at the same time.

Edited by turbojet

May I ask what games have you replayed? Some gamers don't replay games until years after the game released. Even your list of modern Sonic games are still recent and you are saying that it is better than all of them except two(SA1 or SA2) which aren't even representative of the series anymore. I never played Colors, but it seems in comparison of recent Sonic games it is a gem and compared to games in general, it is just good.

I replayed Heroes after playing Colors and it was GOD AWFUL. Like seriously, I can't believe I STILL own it or even enjoyed it at one time.

I also took the time to replay Unleashed (360 version) and while Sonic more slippery in Unleashed, I enjoy it more than Colors. In fact I've actually beat the game three or four times over. Colors? Beat it once... every once in a while I replay some levels.

SA2 (Gamecube version) I played like a year ago and it's always special. SA:DX I can't play. Period. It's aged horribly.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's a nice game, but I can't really find any desire to go back to it myself.