Awoo.

Let's be positive for once

Chaosmaster8753

So, what exactly does anyone LIKE about anything non-Sonic 1-3&K Sonic material, if any? On a minor side-note, I'm sort of a kind of person who doesn't want to believe that there isn't ANYTHING good about certain things.

"Let's be positive for once"

Clearly you have not heard me heap praise upon Metal God Damn Knuckles who is now in a 3 way tie for my favorite character in the whole damn series.

Like really, all my favorite things from the franchise have come post S3K. I'll come back to elaborate cause I'm strapped for time now.

The sheer potential and endless possibilities, mostly where the plot is concerned.

With just the material they have right now, this series can go for a series of plots that could stretch a long way. Now the gameplay is another department, as while the potential there is massive it has a heavy risk of losing its identity by adding more material that has the posibility of detracting from the series selling point.

Because of that, my standards have to be realistic while stretching as far as possible.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

The best thing about the entire series is how unpredictable it is. It's also one of the worst things, but being a Sonic fan is so exciting. Everything that happens is so unpredictable. Does nobody else think that it's fun?

• Thumbs Up 8

I like the new possibilities that become accessible as gaming evolves. Sonic games can be faster than ever now, and they can introduce increasingly more varied gaming experiences with the evolution into 3D gaming in general. S1 through 3&K set the foundation for Sonic games, and SA1/2 set the standard for 3D Sonic games. What really needs to be done is to show what can really be done with Sonic games, rather than trying to be as good as SA1.

Does nobody else think that it's fun?

Not with the way the series is right now.

The werehog was actually a pretty good idea!

About a year ago, I wouldn't have agreed, but after playing around with it and having fun beating things up, yes, I think it was good.

• Thumbs Up 3

Just because the Post-Genesis games get more flak doesn't mean we hate every single thing about the recent titles. Contrary to popular belief, we're not talking Modern Sonic Black Holes.

Anyways, despite the Genesis games still being my favourites, there's a lot of things I like about the modern games. There's some of the characters (like Johnny), most of the music (when it isn't just rock and/or lyrics), some of the decent level ideas (like Digital Circuit/Black Comet/the Robotnik-related levels in the otherwise bland ShtH), some of the games themselves (there's a few - the Advance series, the Rush series, Unleashed, Colours, the Riders series... in fact, fuck it, I suppose I had some fun with Heroes as well)...

Does nobody else think that it's fun?

Are you implying that, if the Sonic series had consistently good games, things would be boring?

Because if that's the case, no. The day Sonic fans can regularly talk happily about all of their excitement for whatever the next non-gimmick non-grimdark game is will be the day I cry tears of unbridled happiness.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

Are you implying that, if the Sonic series had consistently good games, things would be boring?

No, but we'd probably always act high and mighty like I've seen some Mario fans act on Nintendo forums. They actually think stuff like 8.0 is a bad score. WUT.

Also, I must admit that if we did get one good game after another, it'd be kinda like if the Coyote actually caught the road runner in a sense, it'd be like ":D ... :) ... :I... so now what?" Not that I'm saying I don't want a good Sonic game, but you've gotta admit that the "continuous hunt for the holy grail of Sonic games" is sort of...dare I say it...fun? >_0

Man, speak for yourselves. I'm always positive. I love almost everything about this series. Very few modern Sonic games have dissapointed me - in fact I barely really see the classic and modern games as seperate strands of the series in my head.

I'm also usually always positive, but in the past, I was always treated like an idiot for it, so I would usually tone it down a bit to "fit in." :/

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 2

Positive? Okay. I recently played through Shadow the Hedgehog, and I loved it. Not my favorite, (Unleashed HD with colors following close behind.)but I enjoyed it as much as the Adventure games, which I happen to like quite a bit.

Yeah yeah, the story throws logic out the window; I still like it. As for the gameplay, I think it's solid; it's a hybird of Sonic and mech shooting. As for the complaints about the auto-aim, never had problems with it, seriously.

To Inferno: I'm preety sure Metroid fans do the same thing. I love Other M, but the fans at the Metroid board I go to almost completly hate it. :/

Edited by DarkDefeater
  • Thumbs Up 1

Man, speak for yourselves. I'm always positive. I love almost everything about this series. Very few modern Sonic games have dissapointed me - in fact I barely really see the classic and modern games as seperate strands of the series in my head.

• Thumbs Up 2

No, but we'd probably always act high and mighty like I've seen some Mario fans act on Nintendo forums. They actually think stuff like 8.0 is a bad score. WUT.

Difference between Mario fans and Sonic fans is that the former have pretty much NEVER been through the kind of depression that the Sonic series has been through. Not to mention Mario is THE Video game mascot, it's kinda reasonable for the standard for Mario games to be exceptionally high.

• Thumbs Up 2

All fandoms do that, good or bad.

Also, I must admit that if we did get one good game after another, it'd be kinda like if the Coyote actually caught the road runner in a sense, it'd be like ":D ... :) ... :I... so now what?" Not that I'm saying I don't want a good Sonic game, but you've gotta admit that the "continuous hunt for the holy grail of Sonic games" is sort of...dare I say it...fun? >_0

No it's not. Every time I hear "Sonic's been in the dumps lately..." from reviews and "How To Save Sonic/Which Characters Need To Die" lists and all the rest, I do not think "Ho ho, the search continues!" I think "Dammit, Sonic needs respect. Give it to him SEGA." Being laughed at by your peers just for being a Sonic fan is anything but fun.

I don't know. Not that there's anything automatically wrong with the opinion, but there's always something about the idea of the "Fandumb = Fun, Consistent Good Games = Boring" thinking that strikes a nerve in me.

• Thumbs Up 3

Hand's out +1's where they're due.

Didn't think throughly when posting again. heh. ;3;

I guess, when something bad happens to you over and over again, you just get used to it to the point that it's almost "fun," and you can't imagine how things would be any other way.

Edited by Inferno
  • Thumbs Up 1

I enjoyed the two Sonic Rush games and I'm looking forward to buying Sonic Colors whenever I pick up a Wii. And Sonic Riders is somewhat fun even though it's also pretty bad.

I'm afraid that's as much positivity as you'll squeeze out of me, though. I really had to think this through.

That's probably borderline masochistic. I for one enjoy my consistently good Kirby platformers and Mario RPGs.

• Thumbs Up 1

SONIC ADVENTURE 2 CHANGED MY LIFE BECAUSE IT WAS JUST THAT AMAZING.

I wouldn't give a crap about other games if it wasn't for SA2.

• Thumbs Up 4

+1 for quoting and +1 for inferno saying that.

Now for the topic, I'm a shadow fan. And the music (most games) are fantastic and makes me wanna play it. Heck sometimes I use to just go to the options screen and listen to the music. I still listen to His world (full zebrahead) and Open your heart every now and then. And Shadow's theme from Adventure 2 was amazing.

• Thumbs Up 1

That is exactly what I am trying to say. Let's all be positive, here.

I appreciate both the modern and classic games, myself. And there is nothing wrong with that.

The colors felt so right last year. They gave me hope for a great 20th aniversary.

Edited by Jaouad
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Because if that's the case, no. The day Sonic fans can regularly talk happily about all of their excitement for whatever the next non-gimmick non-grimdark game is will be the day I cry tears of unbridled happiness.

What? No. Re-read my post- I said nothing about the quality of the games. I said the unpredictable nature of the series is fun. Sonic Rush was good, so in the sequel they added boats. And then we have Sonic on a hoverboard, Sonic in the Arabian Nights and Sonic is King Arthur. It's exciting to never know what coming next.

So yeah, my point is I like surprises and this series is full of them.

Edited by Blue Blood

I guess, when something bad happens to you over and over again, you just get used to it to the point that it's almost "fun," and you can't imagine how things would be any other way.

...Nah.

It's been a few years now, and hiding the detail of you being a Sonic fan from the rest in worry of being openly mocked is still not fun. It is however, frustrating. And tiring.

Sorry, I'm afraid I just don't see how it could bring anything, well, positive. If the Sonic series were to get consistently good games, rather than go "...tis' sad, in a way...", my reaction would be more along the lines of "FUCK YES THE SERIES IS OFFICIALLY GOOD AGAIN SEGA HAVE CLEANED UP THEIR ACT ABOUT FUCKING TIME."

What? No. Re-read my post- I said nothing about the quality of the games. I said the unpredictable nature of the series is fun. Sonic Rush was good, so in the sequel they added boats. And then we have Sonic on a hoverboard, Sonic in the Arabian Nights and Sonic is King Arthur. It's exciting to never know what coming next.

So yeah, my point is I like surprises and this series is full of them.

But you said it yourself - it's just as much of a pain than it is a bonus point. We all know that the games' "unpredictable nature" is one of the very things that most of the fanbase hates - and rightly so IMO.

Even if I did like Rush Adventure.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

But you said it yourself - it's just as much of a pain than it is a bonus point. We all know that the games' "unpredictable nature" is one of the very things that most of the fanbase hates - and rightly so IMO.

Even if I did like Rush Adventure.

It's one of the worst things because some of the ideas can be utterly stupid, but on the whole I like it. And besides, this topic is about being positive.

What really needs to be done is to show what can really be done with Sonic games, rather than trying to be as good as SA1.

If we are talking about Unleashed, I would agree. However Colors is definitly it's own thing and not an attempt to recreate Sonic Adventure.

I'm pretty much gonna say I love almost everything about the series(except ShTH, and 06), so I remain pretty damn optomisitc when it comes to the series.

Like Crusher said, I don't enjoy when the media bashes Sonic, because it hurts his name a lot, even though most of those articles are mostly BS anyway. Though its just going to make it that much more sweet when we get a great game in hopefully, the forseeable future; The day a Sonic game is universally loved by all, and has grounds for being game of the year, I will go onto every forum and shout "UP YOURS, YOU THOUGHT WE COULDN'T DO IT, BUT WE DID, WHO'S LAUGHING NOW"?

• Thumbs Up 1