Awoo.

Dark Sonic

hookons0nic2

Pure fanon tripe is what "Dark Sonic" is. It's not a form, super or otherwise. It was just plain normal Sonic getting angry, with dark wavy anime lines surrounding him as a purely aesthetic visual effect. The name "Dark Sonic" is never mentioned, and certainly not from any canon sources associated with Sonic X.

Frankly, it was a shoehorned out-of-character moment for Sonic, so much so that even Eggman had to step in and say "Sonic, seriously, what are you doing" in a (surprisingly successful) attempt to calm his nemesis down. Fans latched onto it because the fandom sure does eat up grimdark angst like sugary sweet cereal, and the rest is history.

That is all "Dark Sonic" ever is or ever will be- Sonic getting angry, some trippy visual effects, and a fandom that makes way more out of it than was ever intended.

• Thumbs Up 3

It's not a form, super or otherwise. It was just plain normal Sonic getting angry, with dark wavy anime lines surrounding him as a purely aesthetic visual effect.
I don't buy it. It's got all the hallmarks of a Super-styled transformation; the aura, his fur color changes, his spikes stick up, and he's right near a bunch of (fake) emeralds. Seems pretty obvious that it's a negative-energy/emotion counterpart to the positive-energy/emotion Super form.
  • Thumbs Up 3

The name "Dark Sonic" is never mentioned, and certainly not from any canon sources associated with Sonic X.

So what is people suppose to call him? That form of Sonic was never given an official name

Frankly, it was a shoehorned out-of-character moment for Sonic, so much so that even Eggman had to step in and say "Sonic, seriously, what are you doing" in a (surprisingly successful) attempt to calm his nemesis down. Fans latched onto it because the fandom sure does eat up grimdark angst like sugary sweet cereal, and the rest is history.

What did Sonic do that was so out of character for him though? I always felt that if it wouldn’t have been for Eggman’s guilt trip, the whole scene would have been able to continue to show that Sonic was still the same Hedgehog. The whole thing was only looked at as a bad thing because Eggman interpreted it that way.

We still see the same mannerisms in Sonic during the short time he is on the dark side. He still had an ego about him to blow away a Meterex designed to test his quicks with speed and use a power move on a Meterex trying to test his strength. He still shot a snarky remark before and after toppling his opponent. You even gotta give him additional bonus points for not even considering attacking Eggman the second he popped up. Dark Sonic never crossed a line to be considered out of character. He just stood around purging chaos energy.

I’d wager that the reason Eggman was able to calm Sonic so easily was due to the fact that he was still in complete control of his emotions. He was angry for sure, but he never jumped the gun into blind rage. People get angry sometimes, why is that so OOC.

• Thumbs Up 2

Maybe because there was a hint of DSS being evil with the semi-evil cackle? (It sounded like one to me, at least.) :unsure:

Not saying DSS was flat-out evil, but was very close to it.

Edited by DragonSoul

I think it's important to note that the cackle is only heard in the 4-kids awful dub.

In the Japanese version, while sounding angry, there is no cackle.

Here, look.

• Thumbs Up 2

I guess what most people are saying is, why is it sooo wrong for Sonic to loose his temper? In SX chris and that female character were captured or badly injured. I mean could you imagine the amount of anger and rage he may have unleashed if it were like for instance Tails or Knux? I mean I don't care how cheerful and kind hearted you are. If someone badly injured your family member, boy/girl friend or your best friend, wouldn't you loose yourself a little? I know personally that is a side of sonic I'm itching to see in a game. I mean I drew up with sonic being cheerful and blah but it's not normal for someone even a video game character to just live that peaceful when you are constantly saving the world from a crazy mad man. And don't give me that DS sonic crap. FUCK THAT GAME and any character that went along with it.

I mean look at Naruto and DBZ. Gohan and Naruto are fairly nice people (in general) but when pushed to that limit or fuck with someone they really care about and you'll be in for a real fight.

Edited by Ultimate X360
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Honestly, it's not some people want Sonic to be happy all the time (Even though that's supposed to be a part of his character.) Like I said before, he can get angry at some point, it just needs to be, how can I put this? Tasteful. DSS just seemed too random and too quick to really have an impact on Sonic's character or the audience. What Darkspine and the Werehog did differently was make Sonic look less random and less semi-crazy and have a reason why they act the way they act and why we should root for them.

I usually hate repeating myself, (but then, who doesn't?) but there's ever a time Sonic got angry and is surrounded by Chaos Emeralds/or some other magical objects, please have it executed to the degree of Darkspine or the Werehog and not have Sonic look like another Shadow.

Edited by DragonSoul

I mean look at Naruto and DBZ. Gohan and Naruto are fairly nice people (in general) but when pushed to that limit or fuck with someone they really care about and you'll be in for a real fight.

And that's why Sonic is different from the rest.

We're not saying he should never be angry. We're saying he shouldn't need a generic ultra-strong grimdark form in order to do it.

And that's why Sonic is different from the rest.

We're not saying he should never be angry. We're saying he shouldn't need a generic ultra-strong grimdark form in order to do it.

That too. By that logic, Shadow, Knuckles or some other character with anger/temper issues should have negative Super Forms too. :P

Even then, how am I supposed to care about what DSS did to make me feel sorry and understand what he was achieving compared to Darkspine or the Werehog when he didn't last for even over a minute? We know seeing his friends get hurt is what got him mad, but did he even try to find and rescue them? No. So him trashing those two robots really didn't mean jack-shit to me or any other viewer like myself if he really cared about his friend's safety.

Darkspine was fighting to save an entire storybook from being rewritten in the Erazor's reality and the Werehog was trying to put the planet back together (as well as coping with the fact that his own ego and false security is what got him like that in the first place.)

Both those dark forms had sound reasons for existing and did not hinder Sonic's sense of saving the world. But some people like to see Sonic angry just for the sake of him being angry and become more like Shadow with the whole, 'getting revenge for hurting/killing my friends.'

Edited by DragonSoul

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Dark Sonic can be credited to the overall crappiness, laughable characterization, and tastelessness of Sonic X. Dark Sonic is something that I would expect out of a fan fiction, but to see it in full fledged TV show stills shocks me to this day. Dark Spine Sonic can own Dark Sonic anyday of the week. Can't we all agree on that?

Edited by CanofEpicSauce
  • Bad Quality Post 4

Dark Spine Sonic can own Dark Sonic anyday of the week. Can't we all agree on that?

Edited by sonfan1984

Meh. If Darkspine showed us anything, it displayed that a form (at least partially) fueled by Sonic's negative emotions could be far from generic.

No, I don't agree with you on that cause I don't like Dark Spine Sonic that much at all, atleast when it comes to his design.

Edited by CanofEpicSauce

That too. By that logic, Shadow, Knuckles or some other character with anger/temper issues should have negative Super Forms too. :P

I'm not either, he's a bit cheesey, but at least his character design was pretty slick and his reason for having a dark form was explained.

We're working in a series in which the magical items are endowed with untold energy that have the properties of turning thoughts into power.

Why should we ignore the macguffin unique to the Sonic franchise?

Of course, but like I said, they don't need a transformation to explore his emotions.

True but wouldn't it be kinda awesome to see what would happen when sonic activates the negative side of the emeralds?

True but wouldn't it be kinda awesome to see what would happen when sonic activates the negative side of the emeralds?
We already did. And as I said before:

Dark Sonic is stupid.

And between that, Darkspine, and the werehog...what else could they do with it, to make it "awesome"? I've seen it before. I've seen it in this series and in dozens of others. It's boring.

No shit! You asked me, "wouldn't it be awesome if", and I answered no, I do not think it would be awesome. Did you expect me to provide an objective proof that it would not be interesting?

• Thumbs Up 4

Diogenes, You read into that wrong. I said that's your opinion. I did not mean anything offensive or anything. Just stating that that's what you think or whatever and I have nothing neg to say about it so chill out.

Thanks you Aquaslash.