Awoo.

Is Sonic CD overrated?

Mangoaxe5

Sonic CD is more similar to the modern games than other classic sonic games Imo.Here are the elements that I feel are similar

You can gain max. speed instantly(super peel out as apossed to boost,speed boosters everywhere)

Tacked on Gimmick(Time Travel)

Questionable Level design/Design choices

CD-quality Sound Effects/Music rather than retro genesis style.

Feels more Japanese than the Genesis games(so closer to Modern games)

Vocal Theme Song/Epic sort of Intro with things that you can't do In-game

Edited by ChikaBoing
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 4

Sonic CD personally is my favorite of the bunch, I do agree Sonic 3 and Knuckle sis the better game but Sonic CD is the title i go back to play the most..

Compared to the other classics, CD definitely has the better presentation overall with the colorful designs, great music and the animated cut-scenes for flavor. Gameplay wise, it isn't better then S3&K, but better then the original. Spin-dashing was much more ideal in Sonic 2 and 3&K. The time travel gimmick is a love/hate it thing so you're going to have mixed reactions. Special stages were fun and trippy like others.. I see nothing wrong with the level design besides the fact of the time travel signposts which people who don't like the time travel gimmick complain about. Then you have those little extras like artwork and the sonic jumping off stage after a certain amount of time for fanservice.

I Love CD, it may not be the best of the group but its a good game to me.

I just started playing through Sonic CD again, and my opinion on the game still stands.

At first I thought that I was being too hard on this game, but now I almost feel like I wasn't hard enough on this game.

The time travel system isn't a bad idea but it could have been so much better.

All in all Sonic CD had a bunch of good ideas, but they just weren't put into the game well.

All in all *insert Sonic game name here* had a bunch of good ideas, but they just weren't put into the game well.

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that line...

Too tired to type my opinion, Copy-Pasta powers activate:

The only great game I can say I was somewhat disappointed with is Sonic CD. I've made a few posts on this before some I'm just gonna quote myself:

To elaborate on this more the time travel gimmick reminds of the Special Ring BS from Advance 2 as Sonic and Amy. It contradicts the traditional design philosophy of letting the player choose their own path and forces them to take a single specific route to experience the game as intended.