Awoo.

Is Sonic CD overrated?

Mangoaxe5

In this thread: July repeats itself.

Check the old thread I linked and spot who's posted in both. :P

I originally played Sonic 1 very briefly when I was 4. I didn't play a Sonic game again until Sonic 3D Blast for the Saturn. Most people can't say that's their entry point into the franchise. Sonic CD was the next game I played for the PC, then I got Sonic Jam and played the classics. That probably counts for a lot.

That's absolutely fair enough, and a large contributing factor to why I hold the classics in such high esteem (they ruled my childhood for a good few years before somebody sat me down, said "this film is called Star Wars, enjoy" and left me to get obsessed). And I fully appreciate the power of nostalgia. There comes a time in a videogame's life where it'll have a reputation entirely based on nostalgia, rather than Metacritic, and that'll ensure that somebody, somewhere, will always love a videogame regardless of said game's quality. Indeed, I'm sure we've all got a few "guilty pleasure" videogames in our collections, right?

Glenn, have you ever considered a career as a diplomat? :P

Strangely enough, no! I just like it when people get along and are respectful of one another's beliefs and opinions. It makes me smile, not to mention makes life a whole lot easier to live through overall.

Thank you kindly for the suggestion, though! :)

Can we rename the topic to "Everybody Hates Sonic CD"?

Because that's what I'm getting from this. :P

Overrated? Most overrated Sonic game in the history of forever. There's no end to how overrated it is. If it were a person it'd be a tiny douchebag who kicks sand in your face, yet everyone seems to love him so much.

oh u~ <3

Edited by Azukara

Hating something isn't the same thing as preferring one thing over the other.

But I love it personally. D: I am also wondering why it's garnishing such hatred. I mean, I understand people would dislike it and that the game would not be for them, but the outright hate for it seems misplaced to me. I mean, I barely ever see the game get mentioned compared to most of sonic's other games, is it cool to hate on the game or something?

I respect the people that didn't enjoy the game, it's their opinion and it is a love it or hate it title. But I don't see what qualities could really be bashed on or hated so much. It had good graphics, good music, was a fine game back in 1993, the only thing was it's design was different and wasn't made for speed. It made some improvements from the mechanics of Sonic 1 and took a more exploration and platforming approach, an overall more strategic approach as there were small puzzles, defeating enemies often required more strategy, time travelling involved strategizing as well, and it was all set with non-linear level design and a surreal environment.

Dislike? More than understandable, this title has a specific audience that's not for everyone. But why is everyone ragging on this game this much? I barely see it mentioned, let alone praised. What's with all the hate on the game and ignorance to people who might enjoy it?

Edited by Dusk the Horror Keeper
  • Thumbs Up 2

In my eyes, Sonic CD is pretty much the Anti-Unleashed. It's doing everything that Unleashed doesn't want to be. There's alot more depth and thought, albeit a bit too much depth since the level designs are a bit too complex to handle and sometimes don't work. Although personally what makes it stand out for me is that it doesn't rely on trigger fingers, and there's too much stuff in the game that I can go back and find some things I never even noticed bforehand. Plus it for me, has the best art direction and music in any Sonic game.

That said, I can definitely see why people wouldn't like it, because like Unleashed it is excessive in its one main archetype. But is it overrated? If SSMB is to go by, not at all.

Hating something isn't the same thing as preferring one thing over the other.

I know, but I am getting a lot of vibes of "ugh this is so overrated it doesn't deserve it's pedestal it doesn't really have because its awful bawww".

I think Dusk's post sums up my ideas on SCD's 'fame', and thoughts on the game in general. I can respect people's opinions, it's just that for some reason in places like here, it seems to be the cool thing for everyone to bash SCD relentlessly for being too "overrated" and "bad" whenever it's neither. I'm sorry, and this may sound rigid of me, but there's no way I can say SCD is a bad game. It may not be of someone's (read: most of SSMB's) taste, but I honestly think it was grand. To tell me it was badly put together and a really bad game is completely different from telling me it wasn't what you look for in a Sonic game. For a game that came out in 1993 (and even for today's standards), SCD was well put together and that is fact.

tl;dr - Didn't like the game? Okey doke. Wasn't your kind of Sonic game? Peachy keen, fine and dandy. Relentlessly bash it for little reason and then call it overrated whenever clearly it's underrated? That just makes no sense.

Sorry bros. :v

Edited by Azukara
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's got the super-fucking-peel out! It just can't be overrated!

Edited by CanofEpicSauce

It was ok just ok it isnt good it isnt bad ITS JUST OK!

It's like a huge ball of adequasy.

Nostalgia Critic jokes aside I thought the game was alright just not as good as the hype.

I think it's really nostalgic. It was the first 90's era sonic game I ever played. The calm music, the huge skybox backgrounds, the dreamy special stages (which are the only special stages in the series I thought were actually fun). I think it gives off a Zelda: Links Awakening vibe, because the whole game feels like a dream. I'm surprised with how much detail they put in the environments.

Still, like Sonic 1, 2, and 3&k, it doesn't hold my attention for long.

I used to love Sonic CD, but these days I can barely play it. Everything that it does differently from Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 (especially Sonic 2), it does worse. The jumping is overly stiff. The collision detection is terribly inconsistent. The camera is too tight when in motion. Even just hitting a spring is weird. And the pinball bits in Collision Chaos are bad on a Sonic Heroes level. Compared to Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, everything is all super stiff and unwieldy, and it is pretty damn hard to get used to it.

Now, there are some really cool ideas in this game that I truly wish the "main" series followed along with. The art style is imaginative and cool as hell. The soundtracks, both of them, are inspired and clever, yet completely fitting all the same. The concept, though somewhat flawed in execution, it a neat one. The level design is disjointed and random, but it actually plays really well anyways once you get used to how it plays. But actually playing it just feels so.... off.

Edited by Tornado

Nah, I don't think Sonic CD is overrated.

If anything, SatAM is way more overrated then any of the games will ever be. I have nothing against the show, but come on, it gets way too much attention it deserves, and it's like people can't say anything positive of the other Sonic shows anymore.

Edited by Vulpine
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 4

Sonic 3 & Knuckles is my favorite Sonic game but it's good to have something unique and slightly abstract to play on the side. I love Sonic CD, I can't say whether it's overrated or underrated since I can't keep track of the fan-base as a whole.

Also, Sonic CD is platform-heavy but many don't realize it does have some nice speed sections OUTSIDE of Stardust Speedway. Also, I LOVE how you can chain together high speed rolls in Collision Chaos like in Sonic 1's Spring Yard half-pipe sections.

The Spin Dash charging is a bit weird though, doesn't bother me as much as it bothers other people but it still bothers me a bit xD

Edited by Segakid

Yes I think it is overrated... mainly because people ( well sides here ) praise this game despite it goes out of it's way to the other games in the series. It did the same as other least fav games in this gen and yet it gets love. IMHO I still loved the game, BUT I enjoyed sonic 2 much more.... it was just BETTER. Plus it brought in the most overratted character ever......... Metal. Seriously... it's like cause he was in that ONE game he gets fame to the extreme... without doing anything. :o

Yes I think it is overrated... mainly because people ( well sides here ) praise this game despite it goes out of it's way to the other games in the series. It did the same as other least fav games in this gen and yet it gets love. IMHO I still loved the game, BUT I enjoyed sonic 2 much more.... it was just BETTER. Plus it brought in the most overratted character ever......... Metal. Seriously... it's like cause he was in that ONE game he gets fame to the extreme... without doing anything. :o

Metal IS cool. It's just games like Heroes that made him look bad.

Watch the mini cutscene in CD where Sonic races Metal. Defeats all the Sonic and Shadow races on EVERY LEVEL.

Also I would play this:

2yws32x.jpg

(High res: http://www.vgboxart.com/viewfullbox.php?boxid=41988&boxloc=%2Fboxes%2FPS3%2F41988_sonic_cd_-orig.png)

Edited by Segakid

Metal IS cool. It's just games like Heroes that made him look bad.

Watch the mini cutscene in CD where Sonic races Metal. Defeats all the Sonic and Shadow races on EVERY LEVEL.

I played and beat the entire game......... the game itself and metal I feel get TOO much praise when there are other games who should get more praise than Sonic CD. Again this is just me tho. No fights.

I played and beat the entire game......... the game itself and metal I feel get TOO much praise when there are other games who should get more praise than Sonic CD. Again this is just me tho. No fights.

I respect your opinion. CD isn't my favorite game though if I made it sound that way, S3&K is still Sonic's peak in my opinion.

I respect your opinion. CD isn't my favorite game though if I made it sound that way, S3&K is still Sonic's peak in my opinion.

Thankyou kindly. Sonic 3 is my fav of the classics for me. Sonic and Knuckles I feel is a step back. And yeah I know most people would say " oh GOD you're posed to use lock on Tech for that game with sonic THREEEEEEEEE" I'm just going for my first time playthrus. XD I respect your opinion also. :D

Sonic CD actually happens to be my second favorite game in the franchise next to S3&K, so I'd have to say no.

I think its as good as people make it out to be. No kidding.

The Japanese soundtrack is amazing and I adore the time travel gimmick. Four versions of every level? Niiiiice.

I think people who don't like it just can't play it. It has to be played in a certain way unlike the rest of the classics. But when you get it, you love it. I like it more than Sonic 1 and way more than Sonic 2.

But... it'll never be as good as Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

I think its as good as people make it out to be. No kidding.

The Japanese soundtrack is amazing and I adore the time travel gimmick. Four versions of every level? Niiiiice.

I think people who don't like it just can't play it. It has to be played in a certain way unlike the rest of the classics. But when you get it, you love it. I like it more than Sonic 1 and way more than Sonic 2.

But... it'll never be as good as Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

I went out of my way to both destroy all the robot generator things I could, and get all the Time Stones. I did, and still can, do both all over again. I never had trouble with the game, and it was never an issue for me to get through a level unless it decided to be completely assanineretarded and put me in a place where the physics of the game itself worked against me.

It's not a good game, and I hate it, but I know how to play it. Obviously, this is wrong.

Also, for the people who say it's fanbase is too small to be overrated, that dosen't matter. One person liking this game makes it overrated, it deserves nothing less than the intense violent hatred that would make the stars themselves weep with horror as they watch our slow combustion and eventual destruction of this game through no more than the pure power of a disgust so large it engulfs out universe and obliterates it, and from the ashes there will rise a new land to live in, one free of this failure to humanity. One free of this pimple on the face of intelligent life. One where, yes, we can truly, finally, live.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

I think people who don't like it just can't play it.

You know, this was the single most common defense for ShtH back in the day. So I'm going to make a huge logic explosion similar to the one you just dropped and say that Sonic CD is exactly as good as Shadow the Hedgehog. I mean, based on what you just said, it has to be.

And by the way, nestled away on my X'Eye is a perfect save for the game, with the sound and movie tests both unlocked.

It has to be played in a certain way unlike the rest of the classics.

This is a problem in and of itself, for reasons I outlined in my original post in this thread. If you are going to break away from the mold in how you do things, you better make sure that the changes you make are for the better.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

Too many goddamned rocks and springs that fire you in the opposite direction you're supposed to be going.

• Thumbs Up 3