Awoo.

Your favorite cartoons

SuperStingray

Sorry, is that considered major flamebait? I should have figured. But I'd rather not derail my own thread, so forget I said anything.

Edited by SuperStingray

Top favorite cartoon?

Tom and Jerry.

Yes Looney Tunes is nice and some 90s Disney cartoons were fun, but Tom and Jerry is really where its at for me. Most people I know hate them with a passion and it boggles me! It's the only cartoon that I enjoy where the emphasis is not in what the characters say, but it's in the background music and the actions of the characters. Plus you have to love that violence!!!

tom-and-jerry.jpg

However the newer cartoons, basically the movies that constantly come on Cartoon Network, and the Gene Deitch cartoons I can't take. Especially those of the latter; too damn trippy!

Other amazing shows:

Recess

Powerpuff Girls

Courage the Cowardly Dog (So dark!!!)

Johnny Bravo

Dexter's Laboratory

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (HILARIOUS. I was ecstatic when it used to come on Toon Disney, and I was upset when they took it off)

Kids Next Door

Fairly Odd Parents (I adore this show. Well, I used to, I don't watch as much television now. I loved this show like most people love Spongebob.)

I used to love old school Cartoon Network as you can tell.

Currently, my favorite is Adventure Time.

SPOILER

Adventure Time takes place in a

post-apocalyptic world, but seemingly no one in show is aware of it. This is why Jake is the only human in the show.

Apparently, it's also going to come up in the show one way or another.

I've only watched the show once or twice, but it looks pretty good. Probably going to try watching it again soon.

EDIT: Also, NOSTALGIA EVERYWHERE.

Edited by Ekaje

My favorite cartoons. Geez, I have a pretty big list, but I'll only get into the ones that deserve some recognition from me. So here we go!

South Park

southpark13-2.jpg

Awesome, simply awesome. I love the social commentary and all of that jazz. The cartoon is pretty much flawless. The simplicity of the way it's drawn and animated is really damn awesome. I like this cartoon a lot. I've been a fan since 1997. Butters is my favorite character, by the way.

The Weekenders

Disneys+The+Weekenders.jpg

I love The Weekenders. I had a website dedicated to it. Sadly, it's no longer around. The website was called The Weekenders Zone. This show was one of the very few Disney shows that I liked. The writing was superb. Too bad it didn't last too long.

Metalocalypse

metalocalypse.JPG

What can I say about this? I really dig the animation and it's about metal! Hell yeah! There's some really sick and awesome episodes. This is a cartoon that's about a band called Dethklok and they're really into sick stuff. I don't know if this show is still on the air. I was really into it from 2006-2008. This is an outstanding cartoon. I have awesome memories associated with Metalocalypse. I have 2 seasons on DVD. I plan on getting the third one.

The Simpsons

simpsons_family.jpg

This cartoon reigns supreme as one of the best cartoons in the universe. The new episodes are pretty damn good. They're up to season 22. I can go on and on about this show. I have seasons 1-8 (got 8 recently). This cartoon just might go on to season 50. Well we'll see!

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog

AoStH.jpg

This will be the last one I will get into detail. Screw the naysayers of this show. I loved this show when I was a kid and I still do. I intend on getting the DVD. It only had one season, but it was a great one. Sonic is voiced by the dude who was Urkel (Jaleel White). I found it be a really entertaining cartoon. I really liked the zaniness of it. This cartoon definitely brings back good memories of my childhood.

Well that's that! Here are honorable mentions.

Honorable mentions:

Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies

Fairly Odd Parents

SpongeBob SquarePants

Beavis & Butthead

Doug (Both versions)

I Am Weasel

Recess

Ren & Stimpy

Cow & Chicken

Woody Woodpecker

Tom & Jerry

Pepper Ann

Dexter's Laboratory

Powerpuff Girls

Johnny Bravo

Ed, Edd and Eddy

• Thumbs Up 1

cover5_image_378813.jpg

The Twisted Tales of Felix the Cat! :D

And...

dinoriders1.jpg

Dino Riders! >:3

I love both these shows. I don't suppose there's anything too special about them, though I really like Felix the Cat. Felix is cool. And Dino Riders shouldn't need an explanation. Dinosaurs with lasers!!! My older brother had tapes with Dino Riders episodes on them, and I'd watch them everyday when I was little. Dino Riders is probably one factor that caused me to be obsessed with dinosaurs back then. I still watch quite a few cartoons, but these ones are the first ones to pop into my head when choosing favorites. :3

Edited by Meemz

batman_the_animated_series-show.jpg

I got the entire DVD set, and Mask of the Phantasm/Sub Zero.

It's a wild change on season four, where the animation is suddenly cleaner, but sometimes, the character designs are wrecked ( Bruce's bangs! Where did they go?? And oh God Riddler and Mad Hatter!! ) The action gets beefed up too, and doesn't sacrifice the story telling for it, unlike a certain clone of the animated series I know.

Despite it's simplicity, I think my favorite episode is "the UnderDwellers", and possibly "Forgotten" another old, and pretty different episode. My favorite characters are the Mad Hatter and Harvey Bullock.

Felix the Cat was so weird O_o

I used to love Weekenders too! I re-watched the whole series a while ago, it was too short.

Oh awesome! Yeah The Weekenders is awesome. I might actually re-watch it soon.

Other favorite cartoons I forgot to mention:

Ducktales

Darkwing

Talespin

Hey Arnold

CatDog

• Thumbs Up 1

-The Simpsons

-Family Guy

-Futurama

-American Dad

-The Cleveland Show

-Aqua Teen Hunger Force

-Home Movies

-Sealab 2021

-Frisky Dingo

-Archer

-South Park

-Drawn Together

-Slacker Cats

-Dan Vs.

-Xavier: Renegade Angel

-The Critic

-Beavis and Butt-Head

-Spongebob Squarepants

-The Fairly Oddparents

-Ed, Edd, 'n' Eddy

-T.U.F.F. Puppy

-Sheep In The Big City

-Codename: Kids Next Door

-Adventures Of Sonic The Hedgehog

-Sonic The Hedgehog (SATAM)

-Sonic Underground

-Sonic X

-The Super Mario Bros. Super Show

-Adventures Of Super Mario Bros. 3

-The Ren and Stimpy Show

-Catscratch

-Kablam!

-Robot Chicken

-The Adventures Of Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius

-Planet Sheen

-The Replacements

-Phineas and Ferb

-Fishhooks

-Dave The Barbarian

-Courage The Cowardly Dog

-Pink Panther and Pals

-Huckleberry Hound

-Yogi Bear

-Powerpuff Girls

-The X's

-Jimmy Two Shoes

-Squidbillies

-The Real Ghostbusters

-The Smurfs

-The Snorks

-House Of Mouse

-Brandy and Mr. Whiskers

-Ahhhh! Real Monsters!

-Pelswick

-The Grim Adventures Of Billy and Mandy

-Evil Con Carne

-Freakazoid!

-The Tick

-Wow Wow Wubbzy

-My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

-Skunk-Fu!

-The Penguins Of Madagascar

-The Powerpuff Girls

-Space Goofs

-Angry Beavers

-Catdog

-Lil' Bush

-Stroker and Hoop

-Shin Chan

-The Venture Bros.

-Kappa Mikey

-Droids

-Ewoks

-Star Wars: Clone Wars

-Star Wars: The Clone Wars

-Minoriteam

-Code Monkeys

-Bob's Burgers

-Kirby: Right Back At Ya!

-Regular Show

-Chowder

-MAD

-Inspector Gadget

-2 Stupid Dogs

-Tiny Toon Adventures

-Bonkers

-The New Woody Woodpecker Show

-Mickey Mouse Works

-The Twisted Tales Of Felix The Cat

-Wayside

-League Of Super Evil

-The Marvelous Misadventures Of Flapjack

-The Mr. Men Show

-Freakshow

-The Adventures Of Buzz Lightyear Of Star Command

-The Proud Family

-Kim Possible

-Recess

-Invader Zim

-Larryboy: The Cartoon Adventures

-Johnny Bravo

-Cow and Chicken

-I Am Weasel

-Tom and Jerry Kids

-The Wacky Adventures Of Ronald McDonald

-Shaun The SHeep

-Yin Yang Yo

-Neighbors From Hell

-Glenn Martin, DDS

-Celebrity Deathmatch

-Extreme Ghostbusters

-Metalocalypse

-DJ and The Fro

-Mogo Wrestling Alliance

-Mater's Tall Tales

-Classic Animated Shorts (Disney, WB, Universal, etc.)

That's kinda it. Will update if I remeber more.

Edited by Anthony D.

Adult-Swims-Aqua-Teen-Hunger-Force-turns-100.jpg

Aqua Teen Hunger Force

I love this show, mainly due to how surreal it is. A bunch of lazy detectives living in a flat somewhere in the suburbs of New Jersey who swim and "borrow" stuff from their neighbour, a 30-40 something year old metal fan, and constantly meet aliens, robots from the future, mutant flys among other things. And the kicker is that they're all anthropomorphic food. Throw in some great humour, ranging from the subtle to the outrageous, and you've got yourself one awesome cartoon.

logo.jpg

Johnny Bravo.

The story of a luckless blonde, buff guy who constantly tries to hit on women, but gets turned down almost all the time. Johnny Bravo had a lot of subtle humour that adults could enjoy as well kids and some funny plotlines, like the episode where Johnny gets a letter from a girl who wants to go on a date with him, but he finds out it's actually a talking deer, or the one where he works out so hard he gets this tribal mark on his chest, which he uses to make money. Probably one of Cartoon Networks best original shows from the late 90's, along with Dexters lab and Ed Edd and Eddy. Also, did I mention that Seth Macfarlane was a writer for this show originally?

I remember cosplaying as Johnny Bravo for Halloween when I was six. Ahh, I even had to gel my hair. But one thing's for certain:

chowder.jpg

This boy bear-cat-rabbit would beg to differ.

I remember cosplaying as Johnny Bravo for Halloween when I was six. Ahh, I even had to gel my hair. But one thing's for certain:

chowder.jpg

This boy bear-cat-rabbit would beg to differ.

I think Chowder's kinda underrated. It's not something I'd try to keep up with, but if I turn on the TV and it's on, I'll leave it on, if you get me.

But if there's one show I'm sick of, it's Spongebob. I don't hold anything against the show itself; I still think its funny and I love the characters, but it's starting to get that Call of Duty feeling in that despite its quality I can't help but feel its running out of steam.

Edited by SuperStingray

Care Bears and Classic Looney Toons for me.

The cute bears will always have a place in my heart.

As for characters like Marvin the Martian, "At last, over 2000 years of work, the aludium pew-36 explosive space modulator." :P Can't get enough of him.

Some of the shows I watch are mostly on cartoon network. I really didn't want to become one of those Nostalgia Freaks that dislike most of the things that are currently on tv... Unfortunately that became the case. That doesn't mean I don't give new cartoons a chance.

Adventure Time

This is one of my favorites on tv currently. Not only is it good at getting crap past the radar and being funny, but it's also such an abstract world, that I get interested with what characters are in this world. Okay so its as deep of a show as I made it sound, but hey, its a comedy plus the characters are quite likable IMO. And it's tons of fun to watch.

Chowder

I like this show for pretty much the same reason as Adventure Time. Funny, and it has a unique world. That's all I have to say about it.

Kappa Mikey

Oh god. This show is stupid. I mean REALLY stupid. Horrible cultural inacuracies, stupid humor, unlikable jerkass characters and really shoddy animation... But why do I love it so much? D: This show is one of my biggest guilty pleasures. The idea may not original, but the way it's been used is great; An American (Drawn in a style simular to Fairly Odd Parents Danny Phantom ect) goes to Japan, where everyone is drawn in anime style. And despite how big of jerks almost all the characters can be, its fun to watch them get into mischief and for some odd reason, they're unlikeable nature just makes them more likable for me... Dunno why, but it just does. Overall it's a stupid show, but I love it.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Edited by The Stinking Recolor
  • Thumbs Up 1

I watched a lot of cartoons as a kid so I can't really make a list.

I too feel Chowder was underrated. I don't know why but it felt remenescient of my favorite shows....

Adventure Time is perhaps the only show I eagerly watch nowadays (let alone on CN)

Marceline FTW!!!! :D

Wow, this actually hasn't been mentioned once this entire thread. I am disappoint, SSMB.

A little whimsical net-surfing today reminded me of one of my absolute favourites. Just watch the intro (and keep an eye on your volume, the uploader went all-out to retain the signal quality and it shows):

The days when Western animation still kicked ass. I miss you. :(

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like any remaining semblance of my manhood just disappeared in the past 24 hours, because the cult following of this new My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic has finally convinced me to see what the fuss is all about, and god help me, it's a really good show. It definitely has a 5-10 year old girl demographic, but I can see how the appeal extends to even 18-30 year old males; there are two kinds of kid's shows in my eyes- the kind that's patronizing and can't exist on its own merits without pandering and the kind that's not and doesn't. Most kid's cartoons based on a toyline exist solely to promote said toyline. See Transformers, GI Joe and, well, the previous MLP series. This one never even brings up the words "My Little Pony" outside the theme song and instead chooses to focus on character development and having well written plots and humor. Plus, the overly girl-exclusive appeal like "Yay, makeovers" is kept to a minimum, sometimes even parodied, despite the Lisa Frankish design and color scheme of the series.. In the slumber party episode, for instance, one of the characters eats those cucumbers off her eyes. It's no surprise that the series is directed by Lauren Faust, one of the masterminds behind Powerpuff Girls, because her skill in cross gender appeal through a very superficially feminine cartoon shines through here as well. Still, it feels strange and somewhat shameful to be at the age of 18 and participating in online discussions about whether I prefer Applejack or Rainbow Dash, but I take solace in the fact that I'm not the only one.

Edited by SuperStingray
  • Thumbs Up 2

I watched an episode of that new My Little Pony when it first aired.

It's just as I expected it would be. The show wasn't actually bad, but this is a franchise among the most hollow of children's shows for its tired-out pandering to little girl gender roles and the heart of it being a solely merchandise-driven franchise. Its popularity among older viewers astounds me, to say the least! It can try to be good all it likes, but I don't think any amount of halfway-decent writing is really going to make it any more interesting at the core.

I mean, whatever good qualities this show actually may have, there are other shows that do it even better. I really can't see what makes this stand out.

Hey, I'm just as confused as you. After Robot Unicorn Attack, its evident that girlishness is becoming the new manliness or something, but it didn't take long for me to begin to see the appeal of the show.

Edited by SuperStingray

Ah, favorite cartoons, I had a few from my childhood. Those were the shows I'd rush from school and plop down in front of the TV for a couple hours every weekday. Those two-three hours were my hours, I could watch what I wanted! Ducktales, Talespin, Rescue Rangers, Tiny Toons, Winnie the Pooh, Goof Troop. All classics that sadly don't come on TV any more (not that my family has cable). There aren't too many newer cartoons I can say I enjoy as favorites, two that stand out are Phineas and Ferb, and Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes.

Mine are mostly the "well-known" ones as I've yet to branch out into more obscure cartoons.

Sonic, South Park, Regular Show...anything of that type really. If it falls into the nostalgic, hilarious or controversial category then I'll probably watch it.

Clone High is also one of my old favourites. WHY DID THEY HAVE TO END IT ON A BLOODY CLIFFHANGER (sort of)?! ;_; It's smart, funny and parodies it's style of programming perfectly.

I always enjoyed Dexter’s Laboratory growing up. The premise of the show allowed it to get away with a really wide range of stuff and the hi tech backdrop always made you feel like you could take something tangible away from each episode. The feasibility of teleporter’s and battle robots may be in question, but at the very least it served as imagination fuel to get you through the rest of the day.

I still like to go back and look at one or two episodes from time to time. A few days ago, a buddy of mine asked me if I was growing an Action Hank beard, which kickstarted a new wave of nostalgia for it.

I wasn’t particularly growing the beard out to be like Action Hank before… but I certainly am now.