Awoo.

The Spin Dash Thread

Segakid

A lot of Sonic fans like me really miss the Spin Dash. If you want to join The Spin Dash Club, answer this preliminary questionnaire:

1. What is your favourite Sonic game where you can Spin Dash?

2. Do you think Unleashed and *Colors would be more fun with the Spin Dash?

3. Do you want the Spin Dash to return in all 3D games permanently?

After completing the questionnaire you will automatically become a member of the Spin Dash Club and you may enjoy its spiky entertainment and discussion. Let's get spinning!

315flee.gif

Bonus Spin Dash Quiz Volume #1:

How can Sonic trigger the Spin Dash in Sonic Riders Zero Gravity?

*I know Colors has the Pink Wisp but that ain't the True Blue Spin Dash!

Edited by Segakid
  • Thumbs Up 1

I love the spin dash. Even in the old days when the Western cartoons had to reinvent the Sonic from Japan, they kept one thing. The spin dash. Because the spin dash is across the board cool. A hedgehog character that turns into a spiky ball of havoc. A living buzzsaw! Who would this awesome move gone.

1. I know it's not the original spin dash, but it's SA1. Because what a crazy spin dash this was.

2. Maybe. I think boosting is its own thing entirely. But I like it enough that I wanna see it appear somewhere.

3. Not every single one, I dunno how SatSR would get better with it. But Sonic should ball up more.

Bonus:

I didn't play Zero Gravity but he got the spin dash at level 2 in the first Riders.

• Thumbs Up 1

Although the spin attack alone would be good enough, heck yes for the Spin Dash. It's the perfect tool for gaining momentum and blasting at super speed, and it features Sonic with his most iconic trait: revving and rolling around in a ball.

Now to answer these questions.

Can't really say; I like them all (even SCD's). However I wish for a mixture between the revving sounds and the requiring of a standstill from Sonic 3K, and the hold to charge from Sonic Adventure. The best of both worlds.

Definitely. I had more fun charging and blasting the SA1 spindash than I have ever had with spamming the boost. It's too bad the Pink Wisp is the closest we've ever got to a Colors/Unleashed spindash.

Most likely, but for games that are meant to center around boosting, I'd rather keep it at just the spin attack (where boosting gives you top speed but left vulnerable, and spinning makes you invulnerable but requires momentum). Having two abilities that do the same thing except one requires charging would be really redundant. However, for some slightly less boost-oriented titles I think the Spin Dash would be perfect.

• Thumbs Up 2

A lot of Sonic fans like me really miss the Spin Dash. If you want to join The Spin Dash Club, answer this preliminary questionnaire:

Pfft, ever since the Gumball Brigade it's just been "X Club" or "Y Brigade" left n right, tryin' to be down, yo. Original brigade represent. B)

S3&K, and really only because it's THE best Sonic game evar. :3

Unleashed: No, Colors: Yes.

Colors' gameplay had a lot less emphasis on boosting, and simply had more opportunities to utilize the spindash, mainly in getting a quick start when you didn't want to go too fast by boosting. Plus it'd make the sliding function a lot more useful if it were replaced by rolling.

Unleashed however revolved completely around constantly boosting and going as fast as possible, and it manages to pull it off so well that it doesn't look like it really NEEDED the spindash.

Definitely. Considering how versatile it is, how it could easily fit into a game with boosting (see Advance 2), and, well it just isn't Sonic the HEDGEHOG without it.

• Thumbs Up 1

1. Sonic Adventure. Using the spin dash to blast around the stages was just incredibly fun. The spin dash in that game also had the best physics of any other 3D appearance, in my opinion.

2. No. Those two games are built around different mechanics than games like Sonic Adventure. The levels aren't designed for that kind of ability.

3. Depends on their gameplay. If it goes back to the Sonic Adventure formula, then yes. However, should this happen, they need to take care not to completely ruin the move like they did in the 2006 game.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 1 year later...

I liked it in Sonic 2, 3, and Sonic&Knuckles.

Actually, no, because a game with Unleashed gameplay wouldn't mesh too well with the spindash because of all the boosting in the levels. I haven't played Colors yet.

It would depend on the game. Maybe SEGA could experiment with it a little to see how it would turn out and hopefully it would turn out good.

Edited by colorfulzones104

1. Adventure. You get such an explosion of speed and you could use it continuously!

2. Sadly, no. The Spin Dash would make the games even more awkward.

3. Yes, but only if the game does it justice. Generations and 4's Spin Dashes are too overpowered and underpowered. Find the goddamn balance!

2D - Yeah, it works there, fave will always be Sonic 2 because it was so satisfying. Should use it more often there.

3D - ...I don't think it's ever worked in 3D. Ever since Adventure, lack of control has ALWAYS been a big problem for me, which is why I seldom use it and prefer to run by foot. They really need to work out how to improve control before it becomes fun. That said, Generation's compromise of having the spin dash as the drift was a nice touch.