Awoo.

Unused & Beta Sonic Colors Material

Agent York

Now that Colors is out what is the first thing we do after we beat it? Find out what scrapped and lost ideas happened different development! This is in big help with Retro as well.

More will get discovered as people check disk and pre-release things, but we already know a few things. First of all..

colorspatabata1.jpg

The butterfly Badnik, Pata Bata which is a retro and obscure Badnik, didn't make it into the final game. My guess is likley having to do with the fact Pata Bata doesn't present much of a threat and was kind of a throw away Badnik but that is just my guess with absolutely no proof behind it. However we do know they didn't make it in. There might be some other scrapped Badniks, as some of the file names of enemies don't match up with enemies found in the game. I have no idea what a "Sprinkler" is supposed to be in terms of enemies, and most of them have their classic Genesis names (besides some like Mole and Larva).

Apparently before the Wisps were called Wisps they were called 'Phatoms' internally within SEGA as things on the disk suggest.

We also know before the announcer yelled "DRILL!" whenever you used the Drill Wisp, he would instead yell "SPIN IT!" With that the Laser Wisp used to not have any music to go with it. Tropical Resort also had a few design tweaks like bombs underground not existing, one section replacing a bomb section with an extra life, several laser crystals near the end absent, the music in act 2 isn't different than the music in act 1, and such. You can see examples of this in this video: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-sonic-colors/101810

Of course more will be uncovered, hoping we can see the concept art that apparently exists in the DS version as well as get a confirm of some things like apparently the zones had different names originally, like interestingly enough apparently the first zone of Sonic Colors instead of Tropical Resort was going to be "Aqua Park" (which of course signified Aquarium Park now) and some things suggest Planet Wisp was originally going to take place at night instead of day and such, but more will come. You guys notice anything?

Edited by Dusk the Horror Keeper

Hey, I do remember the Planet Wisp Night scenes, but I didn't notice it until I read this post!

You sure about that? I don't remember any Planet Wisp night scenes and I think I would if they were shown because that sounds pretty awesome.

Yeah, I don't remember anything about Planet Wisp at night. Hell, even the teaser shows it during the day...

We also know before the announcer yelled "DRILL!" whenever you used the Drill Wisp, he would instead yell "SPIN IT!"

Ah, yes, I remember that from the... E3 build? It was around the time rumours were flying around about Sonic's voice change, and some people thought the announcer was Sonic.

Lets see, I'll see if I can find some screens. It's not night maybe but the sky was a lot darker and you could see stars in the sky, like early morning or something before the sun rose.

What, like this?

I'd hardly call that "night". The level itself looks about as bright as it does in the final version; it's just that you can see the stars, too. I wouldn't be surprised if you could still see them in the final, if you can get a decent look at the sky...

We also know before the announcer yelled "DRILL!" whenever you used the Drill Wisp, he would instead yell "SPIN IT!"

A wise change. I guess they didn't want to be sued by the makers of Bop It!

• Thumbs Up 4

a Driffting part in Tropical Resort Act 3 was in the game. but they removed it before release, it was featured once in the Japanese Demo/Turotial Preview of the game at Sonic colors Japanese web site :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgwFMgQJv1Q

0:33.

my guess that they felt it was useless and/or a lot automated.

Its Still In There But Not Accessible Through normal playthrough.

I've Been There.

a Driffting part in Tropical Resort Act 3 was in the game. but they removed it before release, it was featured once in the Japanese Demo/Turotial Preview of the game at Sonic colors Japanese web site :

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sgwFMgQJv1Q

0:33.

my guess that they felt it was useless and/or a lot automated.

That bit is still in the game. You have to get a Cyan Wisp from right at the start of the level and zip right over the rainbow rings to get over to that section of Act 3.

Edited by Shaddix da Immortal Enigma
  • Thumbs Up 1

With that, I think they had more planned for Terminal Velocity and maybe a two-phase final boss. I find it weird they have the models for Spacesuit Egg Models with electric rods that never really get used, the stage music of Terminal Velocity is longer than the stage really, and the two final boss songs are both used in the same battle.

It might be time restraints or something but I feel like they had something more planned for Terminal Velocity but for some reason didn't get a chance to do it.

With that, I think they had more planned for Terminal Velocity and maybe a two-phase final boss. I find it weird they have the models for Spacesuit Egg Models with electric rods that never really get used, the stage music of Terminal Velocity is longer than the stage really, and the two final boss songs are both used in the same battle.

It might be time restraints or something but I feel like they had something more planned for Terminal Velocity but for some reason didn't get a chance to do it.

and also the final boss had an untapped poetical. somewhat the boss used Frenzy according to you (from game faqs) and some say he used hover and drill,

but he hardly use them.

The Wii wisps are in the intro of the DS version, Sonic may not use the wisps, but they are certainly there.

The only place the Blue, Green, Purple and Pink Wisps are seen is in the opening, and even then they only appear in the Planet Wisp parts. The end of the intro and part when you get shown all the powers has the Violet and Red Wisps in place.

Is there a way to open those files and see the contents of them (This I remarked and the "Sprinkler" badnik)

What I found short is Terminal Velocity act 2, I see it strange that they didn't make it last longer (Or maybe they did plan but didn't have the time to do it)

Yeah, TV Act 2 was more of a cinematic effect than a level considering its length. I wish they could have made it a bit longer. Though I did get a game over on it and had to repeat the final boss because I forgot to turn my controller back on when the level started after the cutscene. :P I'm very stingy with battery life.

Just throwing myself in here.

Ive been collecting every type of media known to colors since the beginning in the highest quality possiable. If anyone needs a screenshot or a video, PM me and see if i have it.

Media hoarding FTW!

Edited by goku262002

• 1 month later...

Some more things hacked from the Retro guys. Unused springs:

AhzqV.png

Also apparently someone has found a lot of unused Sonic one-liners, including ones that he would use after each boss just for some reason... he didn't... And some unused in-game banter between Sonic and Eggman, and some scrapped things like things Sonic would say during stages but were cut when they decided to not make him talk in stages. Hope to get these soon.

• Thumbs Up 3