Awoo.

PSP Topic

Sega DogTagz

Currently? I think the only colors available not as part of a bundle are Black and Silver. If you get it with a bundle (as Sega DogTagz mentioned he wanted to), the color choices are far greater.

The PSP go is much more technically advanced

Slapdashed Bluetooth support is just about the only technical feature that the Go has over the 3000.

and the screen is much better.

The screen is identical to the one in the 3000, but half an inch smaller.

The only flaw is that it cannot play UMD's.

Plus, you know, all of the things other people including myself have mentioned in this thread.

I would go with the go since it has built in memory

The Go built-in memory stopped being an advantage as soon as it became far cheaper to just buy 16GB memory sticks.

The 2000 has its own, more serious screen problems. Other than the scanlines, the 3000 screen is better in every way (and scanlines are usually only noticeable in sprite-based games). It doesn't have motion blur at all, the contrast is worlds better and the 3000 can be hooked up to any kind of TV (whereas the 2000 can only be hooked up to HDTVs).

There are composite video cables available for the 2000 that let you hook it up to a SDTV. What are you doing with a SDTV still? Get with the times I say XD

It doesn't have motion blur at all

I never had motion blur on my psp 2000, but maybe I was lucky... I can't say anything about the contrast though seeing how I could care less lol. The scan-lines however are fairly noticeable, maybe less on any other game that isn't sprite based, but they are.

If anything I would recommend a 1000 but it does lack what the 2000 and 3000 strive in. I just like how the 1000 series were heavier and didn't feel like they will break in your pocket if you bent the wrong way (I wear tighter jeans opposed to baggy). However the 3000 does have a built-in mic for you skype users lol

I'm surprised that KH:BBS isn't seeing a digital release.. I thought developers had to release a digital copy along with the UMD copy or Sony converted the UMD into a digital copy themselves or whatnot, seeing how ripping a UMD via psp to PC isn't hard at all with homebrew. Tsk tsk PspGo

Edited by LunarEdge

You can only use the composite cables with the TV-out function of the 2000 for the XMB and PSX games. PSP games need a TV that at least supports Progressive Scan, which requires the component cables.

Edited by Tornado

You can only use the composite cables with the TV-out function of the 2000 for the XMB and PSX games. PSP games need a TV that at least supports Progressive Scan, which requires the component cables.

yes but i was still right in a sense lol

I never had motion blur on my psp 2000, but maybe I was lucky...

One thing about the PSP 2000 that isn't much of a problem on the 1000 or 3000 was that the build quality was quite varied. My original 2000, a Daxter Pack silver model, was fantastic. Blur was usually not noticeable and it was solid as a rock. My second 2000 (the demise of my original PSP is rather embarrassing), a Piano Black model that I had to resell to get one that was hackable, still had fantastic "feel" but the screen had a bit more blur. My current model, a Star Wars Battlefront system, is basically shit. It feels chintzy, the case has cracked near the top two screws, and the screen is awful. Motion blur up the ass, and it gets burn-in after only a few seconds, which makes fighting games annoying as hell to play. I'm about one more lost fight in AoF 3 away from bricking the thing intentionally and getting a refund on it.

Still, the 3000 screen is a work of beauty, I must say.

If anything I would recommend a 1000 but it does lack what the 2000 and 3000 strive in. I just like how the 1000 series were heavier and didn't feel like they will break in your pocket if you bent the wrong way (I wear tighter jeans opposed to baggy).

1000s are alright. The screens aren't as good as those in the 2000, and some homebrew can be much more limited. They do feel more durable, and to an extent they are. But they are also more complex, so when they break, they break big.

I'm surprised that KH:BBS isn't seeing a digital release.. I thought developers had to release a digital copy along with the UMD copy or Sony converted the UMD into a digital copy themselves or whatnot, seeing how ripping a UMD via psp to PC isn't hard at all with homebrew. Tsk tsk PspGo

I'm pretty sure it is the publisher's discretion, and since the Go has been a sales bomb since launch publishers don't want to bother. As I understand it, not all publishers have been falling over themselves to release games to PSN anyways, because they basically have to agree to whatever Sony dictate the sales terms to be.

Edited by Tornado

My one friend has a 2000 as well and he finds himself downloading games from PSN more then buying the UMD's... it's a nice alternative for when you want the game right there on the spot and don't want to go to the store, or for the lazies lol. Well TS, I think you have enough reasons to NOT get a GO...you can say it's a ..... No-Go... see what I did there?

Edited by LunarEdge
  • Thumbs Up 1

Wow, you guys went above and beyond. Mad props to everyone.

*spams +1*

I don’t see a real deal PSP topic so I guess we can keep this thread open if someone else has a question or just for speculation on the next one. I’d personally love to hear some of your favorite games on the console.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Wow, you guys went above and beyond. Mad props to everyone.

*spams +1*

I don’t see a real deal PSP topic so I guess we can keep this thread open if someone else has a question or just for speculation on the next one. I’d personally love to hear some of your favorite games on the console.

Then I think we're due for a new title for this topic XD Like "Sony PsP discussion" "previously PSPgo vs 3000 topic"

glad to help out... or at least, I think I did lol

Edited by LunarEdge
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hey, considering this is now the 'PSP topic' I would like to add my two cents.

I just bought a PSP 2000, the 'slim and lite' one. It's alright but most of the discs don't read if you tilt it a certain way, and also, I kinda went to buy a memory card and later realised it was fake, luckily enough, the store gave me my money back for it after I went in and essentially told all the customers they 'SOLD ME A FAKE MEMORY CARD'. But yeah.

My advice if you get a PSP, check the memory card, there's loads of tutorials online telling you how to do this, that way you can be sure you can download stuff. Also, don't buy second hand XD.

My question, is the slim and lite supposed to not play discs if you tilt it a certain way? Should I take it back?

It shouldn't make any difference. It sounds like your laser is shot.

It loads the games okay, but it seems to just constantly ask me to quit the game if I tilt it/move at all during game play, as if I pressed the home button which it shouldn't do?

But my gf poked around the inside and it seems fine now, so i'll have to update you on that.

Just go with PSP 3000 like I did :). There is no need for Go and like someone said, it is very lame update :/, and you save some money.

Well TS, I think you have enough reasons to NOT get a GO...you can say it's a ..... No-Go... see what I did there?

I c what you did thar

Anyways, I will admit that my PSP hasn't been perfectlately. My thumbstick is a pain in the ass. It has a tendency to move my character/vehicle/whatever either Left or Right on it's own. I have to pause it, literally slam it against the sides of the thumbstick port, un-pause, and it's okay again... for about 5-10 minutes. Big problem in Dead Head Fred and Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars. At least games like Maverick Hunter X allow you to disable using the thumbstick in gameplay (though it gets revenge on me through the menus.... that little bastard.

EDIT- By the way, mines a Silver Daxter 2000, so I'm hoping if it's a well established problem, the 3000 doesn't have it.

Edited by GameFarnsworth940

Might as well change the topic to "Tornado Answers PSP Troubleshooting Questions." :lol:

Anyways, I will admit that my PSP hasn't been perfectlately. My thumbstick is a pain in the ass. It has a tendency to move my character/vehicle/whatever either Left or Right on it's own. I have to pause it, literally slam it against the sides of the thumbstick port, un-pause, and it's okay again... for about 5-10 minutes. Big problem in Dead Head Fred and Crazy Taxi: Fare Wars. At least games like Maverick Hunter X allow you to disable using the thumbstick in gameplay (though it gets revenge on me through the menus.... that little bastard.

Am I correct in assuming that it pulls to the left or the right in small amounts? If so, that is just plain old wear and tear. Similar things happen on analog console controllers after awhile. The centering device has worn out a bit (and the PSP never had a particularly good one to begin with), so the stick doesn't center properly when you let it go and it is just close enough to the functional range that the potentiometers pick up a bit of movement from the stick. As such, it isn't really anything that can be eliminated by upgrading to a 3000, because the same would happen to it eventually. My 2000 occasionally does the same thing, and what I've found to be the best method to make it go away is to pause the game and do a complete rotation of the stick

If my assumption was incorrect, and the stick pulls in large amounts, then the stick module has shorted out.In either case, though, the best solution to fix it would be to replace the stick itself, which if I recall the disassembly procedure of the 2000 correctly, doesn't even require you to remove the screen after removing the faceplate. Replacement analog modules are easily available online, as well, and they only cost a couple of dollars.

It loads the games okay, but it seems to just constantly ask me to quit the game if I tilt it/move at all during game play, as if I pressed the home button which it shouldn't do?

Ahh, okay. There are actually two things that that could be (well, three, but one is so unlikely that I'm not going to explain it unless you really want me to).

The first of them is the laser. Think of it like this: Your typical basic portable CD player will work without fail if it is just sitting there. However, if you rotate it and move it around, it will start skipping and crapping out. Now, obviously, for something like a PSP, this is unacceptable, so the PSP has anti-skip functionality like better portable CD players do. Now, if the laser motor has worn out, the anti-skip will stop working properly, but the system will still read games most of the time. Have you noticed load times increasing at all? Strictly speaking, I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure when the laser loses the disc on a PSP it brings up the home menu.

The other (and more likely) thing that it could be is pinswitch problems. A pinswitch, in case you don't know, is the thing that tells something that plays optical media that the disc tray is closed so the laser can start running (they came in VCRs too, but this is getting off topic). Basically, any fliptop CD player or game console ever made has one. The PSP, on the other hand, has two. Since UMDs are encased on plastic surrounds, a pinswitch is used to tell the system when a UMD is inserted. This one is visible (on 2000s, at least) about a centimeter to the right of the spindle. This pinswitch prevents the UMD drive from spinning up when there is no UMD inserted, to save battery life.

The other pinswitch is the one that tells the PSP when the UMD door is closed so it can run the laser. It is built into the UMD door hinge, and I'm pretty sure it isn't viewable without the PSP being disassembled. Now, if either of these pinswitches aren't working properly, they will bring up the Home menu, because they are telling the PSP that the door is open and/or the UMD has been removed.

Edited by Tornado

Might as well change the topic to "Tornado Answers PSP Troubleshooting Questions." :lol:

Am I correct in assuming that it pulls to the left or the right in small amounts? If so, that is just plain old wear and tear. Similar things happen on analog console controllers after awhile. The centering device has worn out a bit (and the PSP never had a particularly good one to begin with), so the stick doesn't center properly when you let it go and it is just close enough to the functional range that the potentiometers pick up a bit of movement from the stick. As such, it isn't really anything that can be eliminated by upgrading to a 3000, because the same would happen to it eventually. My 2000 occasionally does the same thing, and what I've found to be the best method to make it go away is to pause the game and do a complete rotation of the stick

If my assumption was incorrect, and the stick pulls in large amounts, then the stick module has shorted out.In either case, though, the best solution to fix it would be to replace the stick itself, which if I recall the disassembly procedure of the 2000 correctly, doesn't even require you to remove the screen after removing the faceplate. Replacement analog modules are easily available online, as well, and they only cost a couple of dollars.

If only "small amounts" wasn't an understatement. it's actually somewhat severe movements.

Does the stick still have resistance?

Sometimes it cooperates with me, others, it'll just be like "fuck you" and make the game act as if I moved left or right. though I never tried a complete rotation, just left and right movements and leaving it at the center for a few seconds before jumping back in.

It sounds like the potentiometers in the stick are occasionally freaking out, and doing a full sweep of the axis is recalibrating them. It is a simple fix (more of a replacement, actually), but one that you might not want to do. And Sony charges something absurd to fix PSP issues, like $70 and up for the simplest of problems.

If you don't want to do the fix yourself, I saw custom firmware that bitch and sell it. That way you will probably get $20-40 more than you would normally get, which could go towards getting a 3000 or another 2000.