Awoo.

A Sonic-Themed FPS?

novelty

No, there's something particular about FPS controls, something about pressing left making your character slide left instead of walking left that doesn't come naturally. It's akin to learning the fireball motion for fighting games. No one gets it right away, they were either acclimated to it on the N64 (Goldeneye -> Turok) or had to struggle at first. I haven't really been paying much attention, are we seriously considering a first person but otherwise traditional Sonic game?

And you didn't seem to seriously consider temporary 3rd person view a nessisary option.

No, there's something particular about FPS controls, something about pressing left making your character slide left instead of walking left that doesn't come naturally. It's akin to learning the fireball motion for fighting games. No one gets it right away, they were either acclimated to it on the N64 (Goldeneye -> Turok) or had to struggle at first.
All the same, as long as it's incorporated into the learning curve properly the specific method of control isn't really an issue. Understandably, a Sonic FPS would have to go a little further indepth on account that their fanbase isn't majorly into shooters, but ultimately, it's not such a massive problem that it couldn't turn out to be worth it.

I haven't really been paying much attention, are we seriously considering a first person but otherwise traditional Sonic game?
Well, not everyone, mostly just me. I was mostly just trying to disprove the notion that all FPS games are obligated to gunplay by default, which honestly, isn't entirely the case even though shooter happens to be in the genre name. Any old fool can throw Sonic models into a bog-standard FPS and call it a day, but it doesn't particularly make for an interesting game, I'm sure we can both agree on that.

And you didn't seem to seriously consider temporary 3rd person view a nessisary option.
Frankly, none of them are particularly necessary. A game can still potentially live without any of that, but they're pleasant interface bonuses nonetheless. Hell, SRB2 gets along fine without any of it - the only time it's ever a problem is when you fall off an edge before you hit the roll or jump button, but it's entirely preventable and hardly game breaking.

Why make a whole game out of it.

It would make no sense. You could just have it as a random extra minigame in the multiplayer of any normal Sonic game.

Or you could just create a Mario-kart-esque game but with guns.

No campaign, just multiplayer....call it Sonic Paintball.

Make it downloadable.

Heck even mario could pull it off; Super Mario Paintball

Just have Halo style gameplay, but with more rapid movements, higher jump heights and a 3rd person mode for vehicle stuff, or spindashing.

It could work, but it would be the biggest waste of a Franchise's name ever.

"Do you ever what to play a serious FPS with a Sonic Theme?"

No, no i won't.

Shadow was fine for me since it was, well.. Shadow, and it still played like a Sonic game.

But a standard FPS bearing the Sonic name?

No.

Okay, this topic is a couple weeks old and I read many of your comments regarding a Sonic-Themed FPS. I have created a list of ideas that are good for an FPS, and I would like you to comment on them.

-Instead of Sonic and his Hero gang (which is highly unlikely), how about people who are Dark themed (yes, I am basing the teams off of SA2). People like Shadow, Rouge, Eggman, and others fight with guns, knives, explosives and stuff...

-Adding Sonic in as an unlockable instead of a main character.

-Everyone has a *slight* special ability (Rouge can hear farther, Shadow can use chaos energy instead of physical bullets, Knuckles can *burrow*, Sonic has the ability of boosting his speed, etc.)

-Game surrounds Rouge instead of Shadow (apparently, Rouge just died in the franchise...badly)

-Multiplayer Support

-Action, not tatical

-Based in the cities of Mobotropolis, Night Bablyon, etc

-Use =SSMB= as a launching net

...Also, Some of your ideas that are mentioned in this topic seems worthy:

-Use of Sonic's Spindash (main attack since he doesn't use weapons)

-TPS for Sonic and Knuckles Only (again, for Spindash)

Now, heres the funny thing, because of your tips and discussions, I have a solid idea in gameplay with my game (Project: Rouge):

Imagine you hold an AK-47....but it isn't called an AK-47, its something else, Its the Kalimunthu-13. You play as a guy with tons of armor and the ability to burrow; with features like a walking tank. Your friend, on the other hand, is the enemy. He is playing as a girl who is famous for owning her own banking chain around the world. The enemy is pretty nimble and sharp, but easier to damage. As you see the special symbol in the ramshackled bank area, you know its the Rose Banking corporation logo...

:-(, Yeah I finally figured out how to use NeoAxis (the main engine for P:R), but I am getting there.

New, and IMPROVED, screenies

post-1062-12789856368571_thumb.png

post-1062-12789856565431_thumb.png

I doubt it would be successful to be honest. I mean I'm sure a good one could be made, but would it really be Sonic game? More like a FPS with Sonic characters chucked on the cover. It'd be really difficult to incorperate some of Sonic's trademarks moves (eg; Spin Dash, High Speed Running) without turning it into a whole gimmicky 'romp that is annoying to play. And seriously, we've seen enough of those lately.

And also, it would be smashed to pieces by critics, and everyone else for that matter. "SONIC IS A RUNNING GAME SO WHY ARE THEY TRYING SOMETHING DIFFERENT GOD I MISS SONIC 2"

So yeah...

Alright, I don't mean to personally attack you or anything, Squirtle. But in all honesty, this is one of the worst ideas I have ever heard regarding the Sonic franchise. While we're at it, why don't we make a game where you play as the werehog with a sword, and add plenty of vehicles to drive around in. Oh, and since the franchise hasn't *quite* hit every forced gimmick imaginable, let's add some stealth sections. Yeah, this is going to be the best Sonic game EVER.

EDIT: Sega, are you kidding me!? I'm playing through Sonic 06 for the first time, and I just got to a part with Silver that's A FORCED STEALTH SECTION. It's short and not on the level of what I was insinuating, but come on I WAS KIDDING!!! I didn't think it had ever been done in a Sonic game or ever would have been done, and now...just...GAAAAAAAAAAH! No way, I can't believe this!

Edited by Speederino

No.

I don't need a reason.

Just no.

But if you really want a reason, please refer to the previous responses.

By the way, no.