Awoo.

Who is your favourite side character?

Cortez

Uh-huh?

Well as long as I'm carrying nukes, I think I can force everyone to like Shadow. :P

You can't get me to like Shadow! (Actually, I kind of like him. Now that he doesn't suck as bad since he isn't a whinny emo bitch now.)

You can't get me to like Shadow! (Actually, I kind of like him. Now that he doesn't suck as bad since he isn't a whinny emo bitch now.)

Once I nuke you, I won't have to. You'll be dead. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

I notice no one mention Bean, or Fang. Bean has always been my favorite character, not because of his personality, but his design has always appealed to me. Something about a green duck that just looks cool. to me. The same with Fang, but appeals to me for different reasons. I believe that if they used him right in the games, then he would make a excellent villain. But I also believe that if they could come up with a nice RPG game style, then Sonic Archie's comics would make a wonderful RPG game. But that would take alot of work to play it off.

I would say something about Bark, but that haven't used him much.

- Edit -

Oh, and the fact that Bean wears a Bandanna around his neck makes him pretty cool.

Edited by A.C.193

If you like Bean have you ever played Dynamite Dux? Bean was based on the main characters from it.

I do hold the classic characters in high regard but it's been so long since they appeared that I find it difficult to bring them up in topics like this, I suppose it's because I don't want to rant on about Fang, knowing that it's unlikely he'll appear again ;_;

I'm only really counting Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Amy and Eggman as the 'main' characters since they're the most recurring and have the biggest roles.

Well then allow me to add to my list to the 2 cats of the series, Big and Blaze are 2 of my favourite characters in the series: I have a funny story with "the big guy", because I used to hate him untill I realised how much I want to be like him. D: Big has a careless, quiet and free lifestyle, he values friendship above anything else and thanks to his free life he always has time to help (as much as he can) to a friend in need. And Blaze is awesome because she is a tsundere *shoted*

EDIT: After thinking about it for a little, maybe I should explain this a little, she often reminds me of this typical anime character because:

- She seems to be so powerfull that she can actually fight hand to hand to the protagonist.

- She has some sort of inferiority complex.

- She has some sort of sad past that doesn't allow her to be more open to the others or even outright dislike them for no reason.

- She seems to be the most coldheaded of the group (not talking about the Sonic cast) that also may lead to some misunderstandings or to act somewhat cruel towards others.

- She feels unconfortable (or something like that) when someone is kind to her.

- She has some silly weakness wich is funny, since nobody would expect a weakness in this kind of person (not stereotype, most of them have this sort of weakness, more than once exploited by the rest of the cast).

- She reminds me of this character:

hinagiku.jpg

Wich happens to be a tsundere.

- Also the Wikipedia agrees with me (wich obviously means I must be right v.png ).

And I think that pretty much sums my thoughs, also she is really similar to my omgwtfloldonotstealfancharacter. *shoted again*

Edited by imarafan

I'm only really counting Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Shadow, Amy and Eggman as the 'main' characters since they're the most recurring and have the biggest roles.

Well damn...that's really hard to say then. I only picked out the side characters that were actually more side characters, but when you limit it to just those six, damn near the whole cast is my favorite...

Espio, because I like Ninjas.

Blaze, because she's on fire.

GUN Commander, because he's a freaking Commander.

Prof Pickle, because he's a freaking pickle Professor.

Omega, because he's a walking tank (litterally).

I'm not doing this for the whole cast, dammit.

From the games: The artist formerly known as Professor J makes a good case for Marine, but I haven't played SRA, so I can't really comment. Safe to say she hasn't done anything to piss me off, which is a lot more than I can say for a lot of other characters.

I'm going to have to go with Omega here. I've always found comically angry characters to be really funny. Gamma had a great story, but the character wasn't very interesting outside of that.

From Sonic X: Chris's Uncle (Leader of the S Team), who goes by a different name in almost every appearance. His descriptions of how he does x fast but it doesn't matter because he also does y fast are pretty funny in their own right, but he also isn't afraid to lay down some of his philosophical views when someone else needs it. I also can't help but think Sonic should act more like him in newer games, being much more personable rather than just hanging out with people because he thinks he has to (See Chris and Chip... when I say it like that it sounds like either a British snack or an American recipe). I can't help but wonder how Chris could be related to this guy.

I really tried to like Chip, but TBH I can't help but see him as some kind of combination between Scrappy Doo and Garfield with wings thrown on for good measure. He was kinda funny when he had either hurt his teeth or was slapped out of the way, but moments like this were pretty few and far between. Then he dumps a bunch of plot in your face. I also can't help but wish we'd see a game where Sonic & Tails engage in some Duck Dodgers / Eager Young Space Cadet style conversations.

Sonic the Movie: A toss up between Metal Sonic and Old Man Owl. Metal Sonic was the coolest and Old Man Owl was the funniest.

From Sonic X: Chris's Uncle (Leader of the S Team), who goes by a different name in almost every appearance.

Ha ha, this guy. His moment during the first episode is one of the few times this show got me to smile. When he's telling Sonic about how they ran down the joyrider on the highway and he only lasted 2 minutes. And then he goes "You know you can make ramen in two minutes," and Sonic chuckles.

I think that was probably the best intro a speed rival has ever had in the Sonic series. That episode had me thinking the show was gonna be great.

Silver the Hedgehog (basically because he's 100% awesome)

Marine the Raccoon (she really made me laugh, and her energy was infectious)

Captain Whisker (fighting somebody who yells "shiver me timbers" every time he's hit? Dream come true)

The EggRobo from Sonic & Knuckles (his design is fantastic)

Jet the Hawk (yes, he's annoying and one-dimensional, but he was kinda cool)

Light Gaia, aka "Chip" (sorry)

SA-55 (the best part of Sonic Unleashed in terms of comedy)

Metal Sonic (insofar as his first appearance is concerned only, I'm afraid)

I'm quite fond of Blaze the Cat. Blaze reminds me of Knuckles; she's headstrong, likes to be a loner, and is quite strong however she has what Knuckles lacks: sense. I love her strong sense of duty, which I feel like none of the other female characters have (Rouge wants jewels for herself, Cream is merely there for cuteness, and Amy just wants Sonic). She has an interesting back story, even if it's not much, which the Sonic Team should totally elaborate on (remember Sonic Adventure? Remember Knuckles past scenes? Do that with Blaze and we've got some awesome character development!)

She looks cool, has a good voice over, and well... I won't lie, I actually love the Silver/Blaze relationship! =P I don't ship anything but that pairing.

I second Blaze. The button mash struggle in Rush was awesome and she's just interesting. She was so determined to fight alone she tried to take out Sonic to have her way. She's definitely pretty cool, despite 06 trying to ruin her.

If you like Bean have you ever played Dynamite Dux? Bean was based on the main characters from it.

I've never heard of this game. Just watched a video on it and it seems very interesting. For a game that came out in the late 80's it looks real nice.

I do hold the classic characters in high regard but it's been so long since they appeared that I find it difficult to bring them up in topics like this, I suppose it's because I don't want to rant on about Fang, knowing that it's unlikely he'll appear again ;_;

It might be better to keep ranting. If Sega is trying to listen to the fans, and you can get enough individuals to speak about it, you might see a game featuring him.

Are we just talking games here? Or other canons? If we ARE talking other canons then:

SatAM:

Rotor: he's just such a nice guy, and everyone seems to overlook him, but I like him a lot. I don't care that he was the 'tech guy' in SatAM at Tails' expense - he was awesome. Friendly and approachable but also humble and kinda shy. And unashamedly pudgy ♥

Antoine: Everyone hates him, but I think he's adorable. He's just so ridiculous, and if it's okay to love Marine for speaking funny and being a complete ditz, then it's okay to love Antoine for the very same reasons. Of course, he's also rude, haughty, arrogant... and a complete coward. But that just adds to his charms, and makes me say AWWW every time his brave side shows.

Bunnie: She's such a brave and strong character, but so friendly and kind at the same time. She's a very comforting presence, and I do love her accent. She was one of the more complex characters in SatAM, despite her easygoing nature, because she did have a deep sadness beneath her bubbly personality, for obvious reasons.

And lol everybody knows I love Sally but she's so totally NOT a side character so I won't even go there XD;;

Archie comics:

As above, but also Scourge and Miles from the Suppression Squad. While they were originally known simply as Anti-Sonic and Anti-Tails, they really grew as characters over time. Their dynamic, when compared to Sonic and Tails, was really interesting. I think the most interesting thing about them is the fact that they're NOT opposites of the Freedom Fighters at all, really. In numerous ways, they are so similar. It's simply their moral compasses that have been flipped, making them 'evil' rather than 'good'. But it's fun seeing how alike they are to their counterparts in other ways. In case you can't tell, they're my favourite side-characters of any canon right now :3 The whole SS is pretty cool (and also Rosy is TERRIFYING), but Scourge and Miles are my favourites, naturally ♥

AoStH:

Hrrrn... I love Scratch and Grounder, but they were so prevalent in almost every episode that I doubt they can even be called 'side characters'. Also that blob-creature that Tails adopted in that one episode ;_; I don't care if it was a non-verbal one-shot pet creature... it was so cute!

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh crap, I forgot about SA-55. He was awesome too. He needs to come back.

So, are we including other canons? Because if so...

Old Man Owl: DUH.

Metal Robotnik: Technically/obviously not a real character (read: it was a Robotnik-controlled machine all along DERP DERP), but I thought he was awesome anyways. It made for a good Robotnik plot (a rather Hijacked By Ganon-ish plot if I may add). I like how he looked almost nothing like the real Robotnik. Sure, all the other Metal *insert character* have their little differences, but overall they still somewhat resemble the respective character. Metal Robotnik does not - it's big, it's fat, it's red... and that's where the similarities end. A black cape? Head horns? Dragon wings? It's so unlike Robotnik that I love it. Put it this way - I'd rather fight this dude as a final boss than any giant monster any day of the week.

Scratch/Grounder/Coconuts: Yes, they appeared in every episode like all the other main characters, but I consider "lackeys" to be side characters, so yeah. I shouldn't need to explain why they're on the list, and if you do, then return to your Decoe/Bocue/Bokkun, ghastly cretin.

Most of the AoStH exclusive cast: Not all of them, but most of them were (stereotypically) charming in their own little ways. I especially liked the pirate captain dude from the Merhog episode, along with his gorilla (I think it was a gorilla) henchman. I can't remember his name unfortunately.

Also, random Robotnik polar bear spy FTW.

Naugus & Mammoth Mogul: These two guys would, in my opinion, make for good secondary villains in the games. Sort of like how you'll occasionally get trouble from Wario and/or (a jealous) Donkey Kong but ultimately you'll be fighting Bowser most of the time in the Mario series, you'll occasionally get trouble from Naugus and/or Mogul but ultimately you'll be fighting Robotnik most of the time in the Sonic series.

I don't know what he's like in Archie, but Naugus was decent enough in SatAM IMO. The whole "make Robotnik cry like a baby" gig didn't bother me that much, because I was never fond of that incarnation anyways. I liked the concept of him living in a crystal cavern of mystery and seeking to break out. Shame Season 3 was cancelled, I was looking forward to seeing what he and Snively had in mind (but mostly Naugus - Snively was never that much of a favourite, although he was a whole lot better than how he is in Archie).

He'd be a good wizard villain, with unique and colourful minions (very important that). I suppose he'd be similar to Ripto of Spyro the Dragon fame.

As for Mogul, again, I know little to nothing about him, and he could be utterly loathsome for all I know - but his design just pulls me in. He's a mammoth in a tuxedo. A mammoth. In a tuxedo. You're telling me that I'm doing away with Halo rejects and crystal Shadow recolours when I could be fighting mammoths in f***ing tuxedos? Man, I feel used.

So yeah, he'd probably be a total gangster villain, because he just looks like that. I do know that he's linked to something ancient, so I guess that could be interesting. Optional Al Pacino/Tony Montana accent may be required for awesomeness.

Just make sure to get rid of the Titan Tails part. No one wants to see that again.

So yeah. Usually I tend to dislike most of Archie's baddies (Snively, the Destructrix, Enerjak, the Dark Legion, the f***ing Iron Queen), but these two guys could do some amazing things. Not Robotnik-amazing of course, but still fairly decent nonetheless.

I don't really like Scourge and his group as much as others do. I actually preferred them when they were just Evil-Sonic, Evil-Tails, Evil-Sally, etc. Back then they at least were "just *insert charcter* but evil", albeit with more clothes. Once they got different colours and renamed themselves, they felt like total honest fancharacters. (Picture it - a green Sonic with a jacket. It just SOUNDS like a fancharacter.)

Plus, a green Sonic in a jacket has nothing on a mammoth in a f***ing tuxedo.

Edited by Dr. Crusher

(Picture it - a green Sonic with a jacket. It just SOUNDS like a fancharacter.)

Almost as bad as a black and red Sonic with guns and hoverskates mirite

I kid. But seriously. My favorite side character...

Well, let's see, I like, uhhh.

Hm. This is telling.

Oh! Would we consider Gamma a "side character"? He was pretty much badhard to the asscore. Plasma-missile-launching gunarm and laser targeting system, wheels for heels... I don't think there's been a bad-guy-gone-rogue-good-guy I've liked as much in a long time. He thinks, "Eggman's a bad guy. I feel a natural connection to little birdies. I'm going to reprogram myself and go blow the hell out of everything that stands between me and my little birdy friends," and does it all without the raging and general dark edginess of his successor, Omega. Don't get me wrong, Omega's aight; I can't dislike a robot with machineguns, flamethrowers, and missile launchers, who stomps around being angry and blowing things up, but, still. Gamma had this class and elegance that you don't see too often from chicken-legged egg robots.

That, and he whipped up on Sonic a little, which is unprecedented for a generic Eggman mook bot.

• Thumbs Up 1

It might be better to keep ranting. If Sega is trying to listen to the fans, and you can get enough individuals to speak about it, you might see a game featuring him.

Yeah, but if he get's his own game it's likely to end up like this game... (I seriously do like this game, but it's so easy to make fun of)

Once they got different colours and renamed themselves, they felt like total honest fancharacters. (Picture it - a green Sonic with a jacket. It just SOUNDS like a fancharacter.)

Not as bad as *other* fancharacters I've seen. I made a fancharacter named Menace the Hedgehog the other day. He was Shadow, but purple. And I did that to show my friend how bad some people are about fancharacters. Then I drew Dolloo the Platypus. He was badass.THAT is a true fancharacter.

Not as bad as *other* fancharacters I've seen. I made a fancharacter named Menace the Hedgehog the other day. He was Shadow, but purple. And I did that to show my friend how bad some people are about fancharacters. Then I drew Dolloo the Platypus. He was badass.THAT is a true fancharacter.

F*** YEAH PLATYPUS

Yeah, I tend to hate Amy recolours the most. In fact, I actually remember seeing a total 100% Amy recolour (brown and yellow, as opposed to pink and red... yuck), and I'm assuming someone must have eventually called the creator out on it... and then lo and behold - a picture with Amy and Amy Recolour in the same pose besides each other, saying "We're twin sisters! So deal with it! :D"

*grumble*

Anyways, before we go off topic, I also like Kukku from Tails Adventure. No one can master such ridiculous high heels as he can. And he's got an army of birds that look like Metal Sonic. Guy needs more respect.

SA-55, or "Ergo", from Sonic Unleashed. He was hilarious. Also Professor Pickle, he's the shit.

Well, it's a toughie.

My all time fave would be Mephiles. I mean, he's just insane! Most bad guys want to conquer or destroy the world. He wnated to destroy everything and whatever will be! He was smart, manipulative and I like that in a bad guy. Also I like the insanity of him, how he is determined to be complete. Like Cell (shot).

I also like Marine. All through Sonic Rush Adventure, She made me laugh. she was bossy, funny and loveable. Marine was the main reason I liked this game and also her appearance in the comics was magnificent. Anyone who can make Shadow pull that face is a winner in my book.

Silver the Hedgehog. For all he's gone through, he could be more controversial than Shadow. Brought in Sonic 06 was a move many held agains him. Yet, I can't get enough of the guy. This character has so much potential, the comics actually make him really funny! If they could bring Silver into another game and use him properly, he will be more popular.

As for Mogul, again, I know little to nothing about him, and he could be utterly loathsome for all I know - but his design just pulls me in. He's a mammoth in a tuxedo. A mammoth. In a tuxedo. You're telling me that I'm doing away with Halo rejects and crystal Shadow recolours when I could be fighting mammoths in f***ing tuxedos? Man, I feel used.

So yeah, he'd probably be a total gangster villain, because he just looks like that. I do know that he's linked to something ancient, so I guess that could be interesting. Optional Al Pacino/Tony Montana accent may be required for awesomeness.

Mogul's voice would have to have a British accent. Plus kids would hate him because of all the big fancy words he uses. However, I would absolutely LOVE him to be the villain for a game. It would be brilliant. Plus he couldn't be killed off either, since he's immortal.

He's a mammoth in a tuxedo. A mammoth. In a tuxedo. You're telling me that I'm doing away with Halo rejects and crystal Shadow recolours when I could be fighting mammoths in f***ing tuxedos? Man, I feel used.

Ha ha, Mammoth Mogul. I remember having a teacher in the sixth grade named Mr. Vogel (he was a fat guy), and me and a fellow Sonic reader would call him Mammoth Mogul. I know, not very nice. But yeah, this guy always stood out to me. Probably like you said, because he's a mammoth in a suit.

I remember there was a huge Master Emerald fight involving Mogul about the time I stepped away from Archie. It was the only storyline I liked after Endgame. So Mammoth Mogul is cool with me. For his voice I was thinking more like Marcellus Wallace from Pulp Fiction. "In the fifth, your ass goes down. Say it."

I like Jet the Hawk, not because of his personality and I can't stand his voice, but I like his character design. I think deep down he reminds me of Bad Bird.

5y5fkk.png

If there's any Sonic character that's underrated the most, it's Big the freaking Cat.

- He has all the necessary abilities to play like a regular Sonic character -

He's a quick runner, as seen in Sonic Heroes, and in the same game, we see that he can do a spinning attack, as well as a homing attack. He's just as capable of being a fast-footed furry as any other. Besides, due to his massive circumference (no offense, big guy) he has a more powerful rolling potential.

- He has his own set of moves that makes him unique enough -

I ain't just talking about fishing for frogs. This fishing rod doubles as an umbrella and a medieval flail. He also is a power character, giving him extra strength to punch and brawl his way through enemy robots at a fairly quick pace. The guy picked up cars long before Shadow started tossing them. Plus, he has that awesome belly-flop ability from Heroes. Awesomesauce.

- He is open for some character development -

Most of the characters have had their past delved into to some degree, with the exception of Sonic (depending on how you look at it) and he is open to interpretation. How did he wind up on the Mystic Ruins? How did he meet Froggy? How did he become such a great fisher? We have lots to learn about this guy!

- His personality is more unique than any other character -

Except maybe Eggman. But really, Big is the only character that really isn't in a hurry to go anywhere, unless he really needs to. He loves a care-free lifestyle of relaxation, stationary living, mellow attitude and eating lots of fish. The only reason he'll trot off to kick arse is when his best bud Froggy is gone missing, making him a loyal friend, even to the little guys. In summary, Big is kind of like Sonic if he were perpetually stoned. Also, his voice is unique too. It's not grating, or done by Dan Green. It's calm, cool, and collected.

- Say what you want about his intelligence, I believe he is more than meets the eye. -

This would be a great chance to see how smart this guy really is. He has lived on his own in a jungle for who knows how long. Any stupid person would've died by now... Big has stayed alive and healthy, and very very well fed. (obviously) He also managed to fly the Tornado II, a supposedly advanced machine that only Tails could control (even though he always crashes it). THAT'S awesome.

• 2 months later...

To be honest, I've never been one to take a liking to side characters, I basically only care about Sonic, Tails and Sally, that's it, but I guess there's one side character I like, and that's Blaze.

I don't exactly know why I like Blaze yet dislike so many other newer characters, but she just really appeals to me. I basically like her for her appearance, there's something that appeals to me over all the others (aside from the 3 I mentioned), and I can't quite put my finger on why, a bit like how I have a strong liking to old school Knuckles' design, but can't exactly explain why. I would say I like her personality as well, but I can honestly say Sonic Rush is the only game I've played as her in, so can't really judge.

Blaze: I think she's really easy to relate to. I'm a bit shy and insecure like she is so I understand how she feels a lot of the time. I see myself in her quite often and it relieves me to think there are characters in the franchise who aren't overly outgoing because it's nice to have characters you feel connected to. I haven't been able to do that properly with the others.

Rouge: I like her sassy attitude and how she's more concerned with herself than doing what's right. There are too many heroic, righteous characters and I think Rouge is a refreshing change from that. She does what she does because she enjoys getting paid, she shows little interest in communicating with the others unless she's forced to do so through the storyline but we all know that even she is willing to help out when needed.

Silver: He's a hedgehog with psychic powers, I think that makes him stand out from both Sonic and Shadow. He has a pretty deep plotline in 06. He's naive and unable to do anything without Blaze there to support him, he has a childlike innocence about him which is obvious when he swallows anything Mephilies tells him up. He is also one of the few characters to question morality, whether killing for the sake of the future is right.

Chip: I hear not many people liked him but I adored him. I thought he was so cute and the comments he made about things were entertaining to read. Also he never became a Tails clone, being more subdued and uncultured. He's ironically one of the strongest characters in the series and I think he helped Sonic see the good in himself. Even Sonic was shocked to discover it was his good heart that prevented him being overtaken by the darkness.

Knuckles: He's so dense and that's why I love him. Things pass over his head way too easily and he never learns from his mistakes, providing much humour for us.

Sonic Man: He's hardcore.

Edited by CreamyBagel