Awoo.

2010 SSMB Top 100 - The Power Is In Your Hands

Biafra Republic

ssmb2010top100imagesigb.png

Well, it's that time again people! With a new host, and a new logo, it's time see which games end up on the Top 100 for 2010!

Voting is now CLOSED. Results are now fully published.

-Biafra

RULES

• One vote per person. Vote for your top (and no more than) 25 games, by e-mail (through SSMB)
  • Please show your ranking on your list. All unordered lists will be assumed to be ordered top-down from 1-25.
  • All games must be or have been available in the US, the UK, or Japan either at retailers or on a PC or console download service (Direct2Drive, Steam, etc.) as of the close of balloting on June 20, 2010.
  • Compilations do not count as one game, please vote for its constituent games (e.g. The Orange Box would be unacceptable, but Half Life 2, Portal and/or Team Fortress 2 would be).
  • Expansion packs go with their original games (Half-Life 2 Episodes 1 and 2 as well as Lost Coast go with Half-Life 2).
  • Main-series Pokemon games all go under the generation of their release, according to Bulbapedia: Gen 1: R/B/G/Y/Stadium1 | Gen 2: G/S/C/Stadium2 | Gen 3: R/S/FR/LG/E/XD/BoxRS/Colosseum | Gen 4: Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HG/SS/BattleRevolution/myPokemonRanch
  • All sports and sports-league franchise games go under the same series name (e.g., FIFA, Madden NFL, Football Manager, etc.).
  • All Rock Band and Guitar Hero games go under the same series name with the following exceptions that stand alone: Guitar Hero World Tour, The Beatles: Rock Band, and Green Day: Rock Band.
  • All Tetris games are lumped together.
  • Votes for remakes and blatant re-skins will count as a vote for the original (e.g., Resi on GC -> Resi on PS, Super Mario Bros. 2 (US/EU version)-> Doki Doki Panic, Super Mario Bros. The Lost Levels -> Super Mario 2 (JP), Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine -> Puyo Puyo, etc.).
  • Different versions of the same game come under the same game name. (e.g. Street Fighter 2 includes Hyper Fighting and Turbo HD Remix, etc.)
  • Balloting closes 11:59:59PM US Central Daylight Time on June 20, 2010 (5:59:59AM British Summer Time on June 21). Any votes received after that time will be discarded.

RANKING

Points shall be assigned to each vote on ballot in accordance with the above rules as follows

• 7.60 points per #1 rank vote
  • 5.45 points per #2-5 rank vote
  • 3.30 points per #6-15 rank vote
  • 1.15 points per #16-25 rank vote
In addition to the above, each vote receives 1 point per vote received.

TIEBREAKERS
In the event of ties, the following tie-breaking system shall be used
  • Number of #1 ranking votes
  • Number of #2-5 ranking votes
  • Number of #6-15 ranking votes
  • Number of #16-25 ranking votes
  • Order of Random.Org List Randomizer

In case of multiple games tied, all tied games go through together until either one ore more tie is broken with rules 1-4 (in which case, any remaining ties would go through rules 1-4 again), or until the first four rules are exhausted and rule 5 comes into effect (in which case, all remaining ties go through the List Randomizer together).

RESULTS

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=00F3481AB494573C

Honorable Mentions: Marvel VS Capcom 2, Jak 2, Call of Juarez, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Trials and Tribulations, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, F-Zero GX, Quake 2, King of Fighters '99, Snowboard Kids, Phantasy Star II, Pole Position II, Left 4 Dead 2, Phantasy Star Online, Baldur's Gate, Day of the Tentacle, Mario & Luigi 3: Bowser's Inside Story, Thief: Deadly Shadows, No More Heroes, Angband, Battlezone 2, Gothic 2, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, Guild 3, Cromehounds, Perfect Dark, Sonic Unleashed, Gears of War, Glover, Grim Fandango, Ms. Pacman, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Mother 3, Gothic, Mischief Makers, Worms Armageddon, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, and Ristar

100.) Icewind Dale II

99.) Timesplitters 2

98.) Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 2 - Rogue Leader

97.) Mega Man V

96.) Street Fighter Alpha III

95.) Final Fantasy VI

94.) Wario Land 4

93.) Pokemon 1st Gen (Red/Green/Blue/Yellow/Stadium)

92.) Neverwinter Nights

91.) Baldur's Gate II

90.) Age of Empires II

89.) The Legend of Zelda (NES)

88.) Icewind Dale

87.) Soulcalibur II

86.) The Secret of Monkey Island

85.) Final Fantasy X

84.) Call of Duty: World at War

83.) Kirby: Canvas Curse

82.) Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky

81.) Metroid Fusion

80.) Mortal Kombat

79.) Saints Row 2

78.) Rayman 2: The Great Escape

77.) Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards

76.) Mega Man III

75.) Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee

74.) Wiz 'n' Liz

73.) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

72.) Kingdom Hearts

71.) Doom

70.) Halo: Combat Evolved

69.) Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis)

68.) Diablo II

67.) Pokemon 2nd Gen (Gold/Silver/Crystal/Stadium2)

66.) Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity

65.) The Beatles: Rock Band

64.) Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

63.) Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge

62.) Kirby's Dream Land 3

61.) The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

60.) Two Worlds

59.) Super Mario Galaxy 2

58.) Halo 3

57.) Spyro: Year of the Dragon

56.) Penny Arcade: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness

55.) Custer's Revenge

54.) MOTHER 2/Earthbound

53.) Mega Man II

52.) Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney

51.) Metal Gear Solid 2

50.) Doki Doki Panic

49.) Disgaea: Hour of Darkness

48.) Gothic 3

47.) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Master System/Game Gear)

46.) Metro 2033

45.) Red Dead Redemption

44.) The Lord of the Rings Online

43.) The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

42.) Space Invaders

41.) Ōkami

40.) Diablo I

39.) Super Smash Bros

38.) Super Smash Bros. Melee

37.) Kirby Super Star

36.) Metroid Prime

35.) Banjo-Kazooie

34.) The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall

33.) Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus

32.) Paper Mario

31.) Bubsy 3D: Furbitten Planet

30.) Daikatana

29.) Duke Nukem 64

28.) Left 4 Dead

27.) Waterworld

26.) Shadow the Hedgehog

25.) Gears of War 2

24.) Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

23.) The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

22.) Sonic Adventure

21.) Team Fortress

20.) Halo 2

19.) The House of the Dead 2

18.) Puyo Puyo Tsu

17.) Tetris

16.) Commander Keen

15.) Bioshock

14.) Half-Life

13.) Sonic Adventure 2

12.) Super Mario Bros. 3

11.) Super Smash Bros. Brawl

10.) Pokemon 3rd Gen (Ruby/Sapphire/FireRed/LeafGreen/Emerald/Colosseum/BoxRS/XD)

9.) Super Mario 64

8.) Pokemon 4th Gen (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HeartGold/SoulSilver/BattleRevolution/MyPokemonRanch)

7.) Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)

6.) Fallout 3

5.) Plumbers Don't Wear Ties

4.) Half-Life 2

3.) Team Fortress 2

2.) Sonic 3 & Knuckles

1.) PORTAL

Hey, awesome.

though S3&K will win again. Which sucks.

BUT who gives a damn, i'll get a list together.

Edited by Nathan

Making my list now. Hopefully my nostalgia goggles for Sonic 3D Blast and Hey You Pikachu won't get in the way this time. =\

Age of Empires II needs to be on this list though.

EDIT: Quick question, probably will be a no, but do conventions count as retailers? lol too late

Edited by Ricky

Here's hoping a few other people enjoy(ed) Metro 2033 and Red Dead Redemption as much as I. AoE2... eh, I really thought the first game in that series was better.

Why do we have the 'must be currently purchasable' rule? It'll screw over retro gamers.

Also, weren't we supposed to be planning to do other lists like 'SSMB 100: Music Albums' and such at some point?

•All games must be available in the US, the UK, or Japan either at retailers or on a PC or console download service (Direct2Drive, Steam, etc.) as of the close of balloting on June 20, 2010.

Does this mean that they must be out right now and if you went to a shop you could buy it, or that it had to have been out at some point before June 20th even if it's impossible to find now?

Does this mean that they must be out right now and if you went to a shop you could buy it, or that it had to have been out at some point before June 20th even if it's impossible to find now?

This just means that you can't put anything that won't be released before June 20, regardless of current availability. Though I do admit it is a little ambiguous... corrected.

I'll be waiting for SMG2 to come out in Europe before I finalise my list, since there's a good chance it'll be up there...

EDIT: Aw shit nvm, SMG2 won't be out in Australia until July.

I guess that means no SMG2 on the list this year guys Dx

I have a question about one of the rules.

Main-series Pokemon games all go under the generation of their release, according to Bulbapedia: Gen 1: R/B/G/Y/Stadium1 | Gen 2: G/S/C/Stadium2 | Gen 3: R/S/FR/LG/E/XD/BoxRS/Colosseum | Gen 4: Diamond/Pearl/Platinum/HG/SS/BattleRevolution/myPokemonRanch

Specifically the bit in bold, a vote for Gen 3 would be like voting for my second favourite Pokémon game (Emerald) and voting for the Pokémon game I hate most (FR/LG) at the same time? Lol.

Surely FR/LG (and by extension HG/SS) should count as votes towards Gen 1 (and Gen 2 for HG/SS), seeing as they're remakes and all?

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I'll be waiting for SMG2 to come out in Europe before I finalise my list, since there's a good chance it'll be up there...

EDIT: Aw shit nvm, SMG2 won't be out in Australia until July.

I guess that means no SMG2 on the list this year guys Dx

I have a question about one of the rules.

Specifically the bit in bold, a vote for Gen 3 would be like voting for my second favourite Pokémon game (Emerald) and voting for the Pokémon game I hate most (FR/LG) at the same time? Lol.

Surely FR/LG (and by extension HG/SS) should count as votes towards Gen 1 (and Gen 2 for HG/SS), seeing as they're remakes and all?

My condolences on the lack of SMG2, though I needed to draw the line somewhere.

As for HG/SS and FR/LG: The decision is based on the Pokemon wiki Bulbapedia. I know this may sound unfair, but generation is based on release, not re-release or remake.

As for HG/SS and FR/LG: The decision is based on the Pokemon wiki Bulbapedia. I know this may sound unfair, but generation is based on release, not re-release or remake.

Yes they're from the same Generation, but Pokémon games all fall under a generation depending on the Pokémon available in them and their connectivity with other Pokémon titles. FR/LG are completely different to RSE content wise, and I wouldn't be happy voting for Emerald if I knew I was voting for FR/LG alongside it. It would be a bit like putting the Mario Advance games under one category just because they can all do multiplayer with each other on Mario Bros.

Surely FR/LG and HG/SS would fall under the "remake rule"? As a vote for RGBY and GSC rather than Gen 3 and 4.

I mean it was done R/G/B/Y/FR/LG and G/S/C/HG/SS

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Well, last year is exactly that: last year. This year, the generational groupings are aligned with Bulbapedia as they are the generally accepted definitions generation-wise among Pokemon fans.

I did contemplate copying that from the prior year, but after taking a peek at the Bulbapedia, I decided to go in the other direction and make an exception to the remake rule in this instance.

Why exactly? Bulbapedia's not exactly the bible on Pokémon, there are many things it does that large portions of the fanbase disagree with.

And like I said, even though they're in the same Generation FR/LG have less in common with RSE than Super Mario Bros 3 has with NSMB!

You may as well put every 2D Mario under the same name, they're all 8 Worlds with 8 stages and the same gameplay.

Calling every Pokémon in a certain Gen the same game ignoring how different the different games in it are just because the games are compatible with each other is just as ridiculous.

Anyone who's played enough Pokémon knows that Gen only means the Pokémon available in it, not the game itself.

R/G/B/Y/FR/LG, G/S/C/HG/SS, R/S/E, D/P/Pt, and B/W are the groups of games that are mostly identical to each other. FR/LG is a remake of Gen 1 that allows Pokémon from Gen 2 and 3 to be used, and HG/SS is a remake of Gen 2 that allows Pokémon from Gens 3 and 4 to be used.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

This particular discussion on Pokemon generationing is closed. The rules will stand as-is

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 3

Bah, I can't even think of 25 games I could put on this list. If only it was smaller. Though I suppose I could just bullshit some of it :P

We need to do one of these with anime, srsly :o

Bah, I can't even think of 25 games I could put on this list. If only it was smaller. Though I suppose I could just bullshit some of it :P

We need to do one of these with anime, srsly :o

Or you could just type in the entire virtual boy library, or use wikipedia.

Query: Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2. The games are pretty much as similar as Half-Life 2 and it's episodes are, 2 just literally has new stuff much in the same way.

Would these be considered one game or two?

EDIT: Likewise for Phantasy Star Online/Ver.2/Episodes I & II/Blue Burst. It's sort of a game that has expanded with each new release rather than having sequel-sequels.

Edited by JezMM

Query: Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2. The games are pretty much as similar as Half-Life 2 and it's episodes are, 2 just literally has new stuff much in the same way.

Would these be considered one game or two?

EDIT: Likewise for Phantasy Star Online/Ver.2/Episodes I & II/Blue Burst. It's sort of a game that has expanded with each new release rather than having sequel-sequels.

Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 are ruled as seperate due to differences in plot development as well as the second installment's addition of Melee weaponery.

Conversely, Phantasy Star Online/Ver.2/Episodes I & II/Blue Burst are considered to be all the same game as they are expansions to PSO

Hope that helps.

Thanks a bunch. Just remembered another thing though - just to double-check: I assume the 8-bit versions of Sonic 1 and 2 are considered seperate from the 16-bit ones? They were last year, but only after I specifically requested it, so just making sure that's still the case. They are entirely different games after all.

Thanks a bunch. Just remembered another thing though - just to double-check: I assume the 8-bit versions of Sonic 1 and 2 are considered seperate from the 16-bit ones? They were last year, but only after I specifically requested it, so just making sure that's still the case. They are entirely different games after all.

They're still both separate. Just remember to note the 8/16 bit versions (otherwise I'll assume it's the 16-bit version)

Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 are ruled as seperate due to differences in plot development as well as the second installment's addition of Melee weaponery.

Oh come on, FR/LG has far more differences than that to RSE. And two version of Sonic 1 are "different games" too? Whereas two completely different games with different titles, different characters, different graphics, different music, aren't?

Ugh, I know you said this discussion is "over", but it's a pretty unfair way to end things, especially since you really didn't properly address my points.

Well I can't see myself voting this year, simply because by voting for a game that's in my top 10 I'll be inadvertently voting for a game that wouldn't even scrape my top 100, rofl.

There's no credibility in that.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 4
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Generation 3 contains = Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/LG/FR/BoxRS/Colosseum/XD

To vote for all of these as one game is a bit silly. No bones about it

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald are different versions of the same game with small variations. Box RS can be viewed as a expansion to Ruby and Sapphire as it is simply the equivalent to an external hard drive for your pokemon. Makes perfect sense to lump these together.

Leaf Green and Fire Red has already been explained to some extent by Superlink. Overall, they have more similarities to R/G/B/Y then Ru/Sa/Em, espically as they are remakes. (Different versions of the same game with small variations) Only real similarity to Ru/Sa/Em and LG/FR are the graphics and the fact that you can trade between each other and Pe/D/Pl.

The 3D games are vastly different to the 2D games. Different gameplay style, different plot, different music, different main characters. It makes no logical sense to lump XD and Colosseum with the 2D games. They were released in the same "Pokemon" period but that's it

In my view, the Pokemon Generations rather to the pokemon rather then the games. Even though that can be viewed as a large component of the pokemon games, they are not the sole component.

(Of course this argument extends to the other generations)

Edited by Dartanian
  • Thumbs Up 4

Oh come on, FR/LG has far more differences than that to RSE. And two version of Sonic 1 are "different games" too? Whereas two completely different games with different titles, different characters, different graphics, different music, aren't?

Ugh, I know you said this discussion is "over", but it's a pretty unfair way to end things, especially since you really didn't properly address my points.

Well I can't see myself voting this year, simply because by voting for a game that's in my top 10 I'll be inadvertently voting for a game that wouldn't even scrape my top 100, rofl.

There's no credibility in that.

Well, it's a shame that you will allow your issues and opinion to keep you from voting.

To vote for all of these as one game is a bit silly. No bones about it

Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald are different versions of the same game with small variations. Box RS can be viewed as a expansion to Ruby and Sapphire as it is simply the equivalent to an external hard drive for your pokemon. Makes perfect sense to lump these together.

Leaf Green and Fire Red has already been explained to some extent by Superlink. Overall, they have more similarities to R/G/B/Y then Ru/Sa/Em, espically as they are remakes. (Different versions of the same game with small variations) Only real similarity to Ru/Sa/Em and LG/FR are the graphics and the fact that you can trade between each other and Pe/D/Pl.

The 3D games are vastly different to the 2D games. Different gameplay style, different plot, different music, different main characters. It makes no logical sense to lump XD and Colosseum with the 2D games. They were released in the same "Pokemon" period but that's it

In my view, the Pokemon Generations rather to the pokemon rather then the games. Even though that can be viewed as a large component of the pokemon games, they are not the sole component.

(Of course this argument extends to the other generations)

Again, Dar, as I have told Superlink, the discussion is closed. Any further discussion on the Pokemon generationing topic is going to be pointless, so this leaves two options: vote and have a voice, or not vote and gripe like Superlink.

Why refuse to change it when it clearly makes little to no sense and the majority of Pokémon fans on this site would disagree with it? It was fine last year and noone had a problem with it.

I know I know, Bulbapedia has said those are the Generations, and they are the Generations, but you've clearly not played a Pokémon game in a long time (or ever) if you think this means every game in a Generation should only count as one game.

A generation is simply the time period in which a game is released, and that's it. Counting them all as one game would be like counting Sonic 1, 2, and CD as one game.

"Closing a discussion" just so you don't have to address any perfectly good points made against you is, well, very lame.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Why refuse to change it when it clearly makes little to no sense and the majority of Pokémon fans on this site would disagree with it? It was fine last year and noone had a problem with it.

I know I know, Bulbapedia has said those are the Generations, and they are the Generations, but you've clearly not played a Pokémon game in a long time (or ever) if you think this means every game in a Generation should only count as one game.

A generation is simply the time period in which a game is released, and that's it. Counting them all as one game would be like counting Sonic 1, 2, and CD as one game.

"Closing a discussion" just so you don't have to address any perfectly good points made against you is, well, very lame.

So is beating a dead horse. You may get Jell-O on the cheap, but it's not going to make me change my mind. In fact it just might make me more resolute...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2