Awoo.

The "Achilles' Heel" of SSMB

novelty

In the wonderful world of SSMB, I found an awful "Achilles' heel" in every lengthly discussion. It seems like any topic with a heated debate usually ends locked because the debate is too "hot". For Example, the discussion about sexual orientation was one of the lengthiest topics SSMB ever had; and then the topic was locked because it was too "hot" and too variable for it to continue (ironically). Is there a way or an amendment to the rules so that discussion is very encouraged?

My suggestion is that people stop taking things so personally and debate reasonably, that would probably save things from getting locked. Keeping in mind the rules of the board would be a good start too, since I think there are certain subjects that are not allowed to be talked to due to the fact that there are younger members on the board as well.

My two cents.

People just tend to get too heated, and when that happens, I guess there's no other choice than for the mods to lock it. Think of it as dousing the fire. Though I vaguely remember back when we had a Debate sub forum, where I guess all that stuff that was contained in it's own space, and separated from the rest of the boards. I dunno, maybe with everything in one place, it'd be easier for the mods to monitor topics like those, but that's just my thinking, I dunno where I'm goin' with this, it's 1:00 am, plus I stayed up 'till 5 last night so my brain is fried.

May edit this in the morning or somethin'..

Oh, come on, I've been around much more stupidly strict forums than this- compared to some other forums I used to frequent, this place is practically freedom.

At least here, topics don't get closed until they actually do get a bit too heated. On the last Sonic forum I was on before I migrated to SSMB, any topic that was religious, political, sexual, or even possibly controversial in the slightest would be instantly locked without question, simple 'because' it had the potential to get out of hand.

So yeah, it's not hard to see why you could never even really have a proper discussion there. Like I said, I reckon SSMB is one of the more relaxed forums I've seen.

Most of the topics I have seen getting locked (I am often not patrolling the sections that often are affected by such this much. *Coughs* Sonic sections *coughs*) do get quite out of hand. Members personally flame or attack each other, lead too off-topic and become way too spammy to have anything to do with anything, and several members actually reporting the topic themselves.

If something cannot be done in a civil manner, it shall not be done here at all. We want members to feel comfortable, not like they are flamed for opinions or being attacked. This is one of the main reasons why a topic is locked I feel. =3

I thought the sexual orientation topic was closed after the whole 'no more sex topics' thing.

I remember back in the old days when we used to talk about Sonic *smokes pipe in his rocking chair out on the porch*.

T

I remember back in the old days when we used to talk about Sonic *smokes pipe in his rocking chair out on the porch*.

T

Who the hell is Sonic?

This is how forums work.

Not all forums. In fact this is probably one of the strictest run forums I've ever been a member of. I'm not saying that's a bad thing though, the members here are also different to those on other forums I'm a member of.

To be fair, mods have a hard enough job already a lot of the time and it makes sense to lock particularly heated topics after a bit because they will require monitoring and it can often lead to people saying mean things to each other, which in turn could lead to people gaining strikes and possibly being banned.

Look at how upset people get here at SSMB and imagine if that was allowed to run free unchecked. It would be crazy lol.

Aslong as there is a warning, and a chance for people to get back on track, I don't have a problem with it. I only object to threads being closed with no chance to get back on topic and/or calm down. But that doesn't happen here. So yeah, I don't mind.

That Sexual Orientation topic was one of the best non-Sonic or gaming topics to come around since the original Member Association topic at the old forum (I remember being on there.) and I'm not saying that just because I started the topic either.

• 1 month later...

For a forum based on a more kid-oriented franchise of games, this place is great. Let's see...

Cursing is allowed (to an extent) unlike many Sonic forums. You should see Chao Island... Anything worse than 'crap' and you're IP banned.

Believe me when I say it is hard to moderate large forums like this. I totally agree that this place is like freedom.

• Thumbs Up 3

I feel that if a topic is getting a bit "too heated" warnings should issued first, before actually locking. If that was already the case, I think the creator of said Heated topic should have a say if it gets locked or not.

I like its strictness. In the older days it was actually more strict.

This place is like a haven from all of those less strict sites where trolls run free.

Edited by Shade737
  • Thumbs Up 2

This place is like a haven from all of those less strict sites where trolls run free.

Shade737, I agree with you. I was banned just because I posted a story on SSMB through posts....

Then again, I was a noob with the internet and I was 8....

Edited by Novelty
  • Thumbs Up 1

I totally agree too. If I ran a Sonic forum, I would try to make it like this. I know a couple of forums which are absolutely MAD because the way they are run allows people the argue about the stupidest of things. A while back, I was looking for nice forum to join so I could talk about Sonic and other stuff, and I went though browsing almost THIRTY forums before finding this place (I can't even remember what half of them were called). A safe haven that is free from trolls and "You must like SonicXElise or else"-type discussions. Everyone gets on well here, people from all walks of life can join and idiots don't last. The Staff also work extremely hard to keep it this way, and I'm grateful for that.

As for topic locking, a lot of the time it's good to lock topics when they get too heated. I've found some forums (Not just Sonic forums) ignore them and allow them to continue even when they are reported, but they're a total mess and I would never even think of joining said forums as they are poorly run. I even had someone on say on different place that one forum made a load of people Moderators for the day as an April Fools "joke" a few years ago and after that they stopped visiting because it was a disaster. Just be glad you're not in one of those forums.

Superlaugh.gifLombax

Then again, I was a noob with the internet and I was 8....

Being 8 was probably the kicker. The forum is for ages 13+ according to the rules.

Anyhow, we really do try to take things on a case-by-case basis and I know I personally don't like to lock topics just because discussion is 'heated' (I love debate, myself). However, if people are consistently getting personal and not calming down even with warnings, or if the topic is going in circles with no end in sight, or talk becomes very NSFW, then those are all grounds to make a careful decision to lock.

It's basically the art of balancing free and open dialogue with keeping this place presentable and friendly. SSMB, as I've said before, isn't 4-Kids... but it IS a family-friendly forum to the extent that there are people here from young teens through to adults. I'd like to think that whereas some forums strike/ban you for saying 'crap', and other forums let u get awai w/ typin liek dis an sayin fuck evry otha wrd, we have a nice balance right in the middle (:

• Thumbs Up 3

Being 8 was probably the kicker. The forum is for ages 13+ according to the rules.

Anyhow, we really do try to take things on a case-by-case basis and I know I personally don't like to lock topics just because discussion is 'heated' (I love debate, myself). However, if people are consistently getting personal and not calming down even with warnings, or if the topic is going in circles with no end in sight, or talk becomes very NSFW, then those are all grounds to make a careful decision to lock.

It's basically the art of balancing free and open dialogue with keeping this place presentable and friendly. SSMB, as I've said before, isn't 4-Kids... but it IS a family-friendly forum to the extent that there are people here from young teens through to adults. I'd like to think that whereas some forums strike/ban you for saying 'crap', and other forums let u get awai w/ typin liek dis an sayin fuck evry otha wrd, we have a nice balance right in the middle (:

The way the forums are being handled is like one of my favorite games: Starcraft. Starcraft's purpose is the modern chess of RTS. Every aspect of the game has a very fine balance, like here. These forums are balanced so well that its amazing how you staffers have to put up with people.

Everytime I talk about something, I feel happy inside; because here is THE safehaven for opinions. No matter how weird the opinion is, it is taken in great consideration!

Who the hell is Sonic?

He lurks mysteriously and ominously at the top of the page, in member bars and even behind this very text; he is a mysterious and ancient relic of a time when videogames were actually games.

Edited by Extaticus

Whenever I lock topics, from what I remember, and from what I feel sorta relevant to this, is when one or two members are starting to act aggressive toward each other to the point they are flaming each other and caring more about expressing rudeness rather than keeping the topic itself going. If this has kept going for long enough, I either see it fit to close the topic for a brief moment, giving members a chance to cool themselves down, or lock it down altogether.

I feel that friendliness and being civil is SSMB for me. Therefore my understanding and behaviour is that anything near flaming is unacceptable and shall be dealt with. The SSMB is a home for many members, not to mention frequented by both young and older audiences.

I believe we close down certain topics due to the tendency within certain subjects. For instance, for a while we were entirely sceptical about keeping "console vs. console vs. console" topics open - They always seemed to provoke flaming or otherwise reactions that were kinda bad.

I became a moderator at the time when SSMB suddenly became much less strict. At first I really hated that, because I felt it made my job as a moderator much more difficult. I could never know when to step in or when not to. Now however I really enjoy how it is. I have learned how I actually have to think and judge each situation separately. I also try to weigh up how members would enjoy something in comparement to standard procedure. For instance, in topics that I would see fit to lock, or barely being enough grounds to be lockable, I recall just instead giving topics chances and monitoring them closely.

I am not certain for sure, but I think that most of my locked topics have been duplicates of already-existing topics. ;>

*Also prays he is not doing a bad job*

This place? STRICT?

I see nobody being banned for usernames or shit like that.

The mods just take down topics that could easily turn into large flame wars/be a haven for trolls.

How easy could a troll troll a topic about people being gay/bi/straight? Verrryyy easily.

also Jake is right. I love the word fuck, and I can say it a lot here.

so yeah.

EDIT: DiZ you do a great job don't even worry. Do... do you want a hug? Will that help you feel better...?

Edited by Nathan

Can I get free hugs if I worry about how well I mod at this place? ;_; ... actually I worry all the damn time because I'm so paranoid and hyper-sensitive n' stuff XD;; But so far I've only had a small handful of hatemails and one or two negative articles about me on other sites, so I must be doing something right >_> INFAMY IS STILL FAME AMIRITE?