Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

Ha ha! Simon Pegg actually showed up in an episode of Doctor Who. Fantastic!

I've come across my first annoyance for the series: those tag-alongs that the doctor ends up giving a lift throughout his travels. I'm happy that they ditched Adam after only two episodes, though I'll have to see more of Jack to see whether my initial annoyance of him is justified or not.

Jack's a good character, he won't be annoying

Take it you've watched The Empty Child saga, thoughts?

The only thing I didn't like about the whole Adam fiasco is that only an episode later Rose makes a similar mistake (trying to alter the timeline to suit her own ends) and the Doctor very quickly forgives her. I don't get why Adam's silly mistake is unforgivable (he was simply a guy who was insanely curious about technology and got in over his head) and the Doctor refuses to fix the implant, and yet Rose who was equally selfish, barely gets a stern talking to from the Doctor. Very skewed thinking there in my opinion.

I love Father's Day, but coming right after the Long Game the special treatment he gives Rose is horribly apparent.

Getting a technology upgrade that allows you to beam information into your head

: Acceptable, if weird.

Saving your Dad from being killed due to emotional reason

:. Frowned upon, but understandable

Sending technology into the past in order to make yourself lots of money

: Gittish.

Actually, Jack did grow on me. Too bad he was ditched at the end of season one!

Rose's mistake in Father's Day wasn't out of self-gain or greed, she reacted out of emotion and wanted to do something for her father - it wasn't for herself at all, so much that she didn't want him to die alone, and Rose instinctively saved him from the accident without a second thought. I think this is a valid excuse for her actions, at least this one time.

On the other hand, Adam's desire for fame and money could put the entire TARDIS crew's lives on jeopardy on even more instances in the future. Rose learned from her mistake because the gap in her heart was filled, while Adam's actions of self-interest won't go away. Remember who he worked under in the previous episode, after all.

I guess what matters is that Rose is a genuinely good person at heart who wants to help others, not help herself - Adam is selfish and uses time travel as a means of helping himself. And that is pretty bad.

I liked The Empty Child, I enjoyed the story - although I can't say I'm a very big fan of the romantic developments between the characters, especially Rose and the Doctor.

I've watched three episodes of season two so far. Tennant is growing on me and he's a very entertaining Doctor in his own right, though I have to say that I still miss Eccleston a bit, and at the moment I slightly prefer his performance.

You'll have to get used to it Jake. RTD LOVES Rose. He loves Rose so much he wants to make sure WE love Rose. He loves Rose so much that the companion after Rose leaves the TARDIS because she isn't as wonderfull as Rose.

You and me both when it comes to Eccelston and Tennant's Doctor performance. I like both, though times I could find myself fond of Tennant's performance most, what with his more manic personality.

Jack returns from time to time, even stars in the spin-off Torchwood, too. So don't worry about the ditching thing.

Also, don't forget to see the specials, like the Christmas specials inbetween Seasons, and other short specials like Children in Need short that takes place after Series 3 with Peter Davidson (5th Doctor) making a small appearance.

I don't know why, but I always thought Tennant was better than Eccleston. Maybe that's because he's appeared in far more episodes though than the poor Ninth Doctor who only had one season. <=/ I bet that if had appeared in more, I would've liked him a fair bit too.

I will really miss David Tennant though after the episode

where the Master appears~

The recent series "Children Of The Earth" was fantastic until Russel T Davies did his standard "stupid happy ending magic" (seriously,

why did the soldiers just stop attacking, and Gwen start praising the kids when from their point of view, all they knew had happened was the kids stopping and screaming for a bit?

).

Admittidly he didn't go overboard with it like he often does with Doctor Who, but still.

I was really really suprised that we didn't have a seperate topic on Children of the Earth. It was quite a brilliant week long thing, and what really made it sinister... you didn't really see any evil aliens... only evil humans. Other than a claw and that child in the device, there wasn't really anything too alien about that one. I think thats what made it work so well...

Oh and last week... the government said it was going to give all school children an anti swineflu jab... OMG IT'S HAPPENING!

I was really really suprised that we didn't have a seperate topic on Children of the Earth. It was quite a brilliant week long thing, and what really made it sinister... you didn't really see any evil aliens... only evil humans. Other than a claw and that child in the device, there wasn't really anything too alien about that one. I think thats what made it work so well...

Oh and last week... the government said it was going to give all school children an anti swineflu jab... OMG IT'S HAPPENING!

Children Of Earth was fantastic, the best series of Torchwood yet (series one was a bit crap, series two was decent, this was superb) and undoubtedly Russel T. Davies' best work yet, certainly since the episode of Dr. Who set

entirely in that transport ship over the crystal planet with the super-suspicious passengers

. Genuine emotion was evoked, and while the use of kids and the cheery ending were a bit... naff, especially the latter, on the whole it was fantastic with a brilliant out-of-nowhere motivational twist. Brilliant. More of this please, RTD.

Something that I thought would happen, just because I think it would have added a bit more to his character and, prove Gwen right.

After the children scream and the aliens die...? Would be for a shot of the Earth, and slowly orbiting it is the tardis, bit of a close up of the Doctor looking out of the doors down at the Earth.

I honestly thought they would bring him in for just some kind of cameo, just because it would have been something that we've not seen often, the doctor refusing to help.

But I can understand why they didn't bring the Doctor in though, this was Torchwoods time to shine, not the doctors... mind you, if they make a 4th series... it'll be quite a different show won't it eh?

if they make a 4th series... it'll be quite a different show won't it eh?

There is actually another series in the offing so it'll be interesting to see what they do. Jack re-appearing in Doctor Who only to wind up back in (or on his way to) Cardiff will happen.

At the moment I'm not really interested in looking into any of the spin-offs or specials, I'm just focusing on the main TV series at the moment to keep my watching habits organized. Might check out the specials at a later date, once I finish watching season four or something.

At the moment I'm not really interested in looking into any of the spin-offs or specials, I'm just focusing on the main TV series at the moment to keep my watching habits organized. Might check out the specials at a later date, once I finish watching season four or something.

I've mostly mentioned the specials, only because they do continue from a previous story, and are only 15 minutes longer, really. All Xmas specials take place directly after the season finale (especially Season 1 and 2 finale, for example), and this year, there hasn't been any regular episodes, but only 4 special episodes that can be seen as the rest of Season 4. Just saying, really.

Yeah, as above said, you kinda -need- to watch the specials, if you're talking about the christmas ones. They practically are "episode 0" or "episode 14" (depending on whether you consider them the start or end of a series), so need to be watched.

Unless of course, you mean the mini specials like the BBC Children In Need short or "Time Crash" that comes before The Voyage Of The Damned.

I'd say it's worth watching the spin-offs if you're bored enough but you don't NEED to. The finale episodes of Series 4 feature the characters from the two spin-offs (The Sarah Jane Adventures for the kiddies and Torchwood for grown-up peoples), so it'd help you appreciate their appearence more, but... yeah, you don't need to at all.

Edited by JezMM

With regards to that finale when everyone turned up, I don't think you really need to watch any Sarah Jane episode.... well maybe the Sarah Jane New Years Day special just so you know who that wierd kid is.

Toorchwood... urm... I would watch a couple. Just so you know what it is that they normally do.

Edit: Actually... an episode or two of Toorchwood would be a VERY good idea so you know a bit more about Jacks condition... thats quite important come the third season when... you know who returns.... No not Voldermort.

But I would consider the Doctor Who Christmas specials essential viewing if you want to understand some of the episodes in the 4th season... 'Turn Left' doesn't make much of any sense unless you have seen the Christmas special with the spider queen and Titanic. The episode pretty much starts at the end of that one, and one of the biggest plot events is the events of the Titanic christmas special.

Of course, how could I forget, episode 1 of the 4th season would make no sense either... because Donna was first introduced in a Christmas special... well the end of season 2 then she got a full show.

The very first christmas special was Tennants first full one... so thats quite an important one in terms of his relationship with Rose and her family, otherwise the second season just kinda starts and they're all cool about his new look.

But if you want the Toorchwood experience... just watch this short episode called

Edited by Casanova

I'm already on season three, so my neglect of the specials is already catching up to me. I'm already feeling like I'm missing out on a ton of shit, especially considering season two's finale.

I can't find them though, and I can't be bothered to look again right now. I'm just reading their plot summaries in the meantime so I get the general jist; I'll probably pursue them further once I finish the regular TV series.

I actually might skip Turn Left in the meantime though. I was never going to skip the specials permanently anyway, I just thought that I could put them off until later, since I didn't think they would have much bearing on the actual series proper (considering they're, well, specials).

Oh yeah, and I'll post my thoughts on the more recent developments (second season, Tenth Doctor, Martha Jones) later.

I'm already on season three, so my neglect of the specials is already catching up to me. I'm already feeling like I'm missing out on a ton of shit, especially considering season two's finale.

I can't find them though, and I can't be bothered to look again right now. I'm just reading their plot summaries in the meantime so I get the general jist; I'll probably pursue them further once I finish the regular TV series.

I actually might skip Turn Left in the meantime though. I was never going to skip the specials permanently anyway, I just thought that I could put them off until later, since I didn't think they would have much bearing on the actual series proper (considering they're, well, specials).

Oh yeah, and I'll post my thoughts on the more recent developments (second season, Tenth Doctor, Martha Jones) later.

Are you torrenting? It's kinda odd that you'd get ones of each series that don't have the specials included...

Torrenting/finding direct links on hosting sites. I torrented the first season but that proved to be too slow.

I don't get Doctor Who on any station here. As for the DVDs, they go for more than 80 dollars a piece. I don't have that kind of money.

NO DON'T! Don't skip out turn left!

It's not a bad episode... but it's ending will really have you eager to watch the next one. Even if you don't watch the Christmas Specials, still watch Turn Left.

Doctor Who DVDs cost a ton in the states.

Late post was late.

Edited by The Conductor

Even if I got a multi-region player, they're in PAL format so I wouldn't be able to watch them anyway.

Anyway you don't understand - I don't have money. I'm not justifying the ethics of what I'm doing here, I'm saying that it's impossible for me to buy anything at the moment, or in the near future. If I could nab the Doctor Who DVDs, I would, because I am very fond of owning movies, shows, anime, and games that I enjoy. But in my current state I cannot.

NO DON'T! Don't skip out turn left!

It's not a bad episode... but it's ending will really have you eager to watch the next one. Even if you don't watch the Christmas Specials, still watch Turn Left.

Oh, alright - in that case I should try my hand at watching the related special before watching the episode, then.

So, apparently Disney XD will be showing the spin off staring K-9 IV.