Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 retro, but modern Sonic look.

Dr. Good Girl

You're under the false assumption that Sonic's current design has anything wrong with it.

SONIC'S MODEL HERE

Looks fine to me.

Agreed. There is nothing wrong with Sonic's new design. Some people prefer the old one, that's all.

You're under the false assumption that Sonic's current design has anything wrong with it.

2euu0pj.gif

Looks fine to me.

No, because the current design is just wrong in general. Dont need to assume anything.

Edited by a knothole resident
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thats because when they reached a design that worked, they stuck with it ever since. Not only that, the re-designs of those characters were IMPROVEMENTS unlike Sonic.

Many of these design changes occured during the highpoints of these characters' careers, you know, when their companies were still actually putting out shorts on the regular. And hell, even Sonic's classic design was physically changed to some degree all throughout his career, unless we must now operate under the notion that Oshima's Mickey Mouse redux was the only one they ever made ever until 1998.

Even then, you completely blew past my point. A change in design is not guaranteed to wipe away a character's timelessness to any degree. While design is important to a character's reception, their lasting appeal is also equally dependent if not moreso upon other factors-- Personality, characterization, audience response, appeal factor, adaptability to different eras and writers, motifs and representations, etc. If design was that important in comparison to the many other variables that shape a character's lastability, all of the Golden Age classics would've been wiped out after the second incarnation, heaven forbid the third.

• Thumbs Up 2

No, because the current design is just wrong in general. Dont need to assume anything.

OK, I'll humour you. What's wrong with it?

I don't see what's wrong with at all. It's a blue cartoon hedgehog. It's the same Sonic I grew up with, minus the ass-face.

You want short-spined, black-eyed Sonic?

HERE.

2zi7ul2.png

HE DOESN'T SAY ANYTHING BECAUSE HE'S CLASSIC.

It's all down to opinions, just like I don't think there should be a SatAM movie.

Who is that?

Sonic1.JPG

WHY, IT'S SONIC THE HEDGEHOG.

sega-sonic.jpg

OH! HI, SONIC THE HEDGEHOG!

sonic.png

YO, SONIC!

sonic.jpg

SUP, SONIC?

2euu0pj.gif

SAWNICH DER HEDGEHAWG.

sonic.jpg

IT'S SONIC!

Sonic is Sonic is Sonic. You're nitpicking far too much. Far, far, too much. Focus on good gameplay before you moan and whine about how many centimeters long his spines are or what color his irises are.

SHEESH.

Also...

dr-robotnik.jpg

This guy shouldn't even be alive let alone able to outrun Sonic (which he does occasionally in the classics)

You're bringing up logic into a game where Sonic runs faster than 765 miles per hour.

You're overthinking this.

Go get some bedrest or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

43996376.jpg

From your so-called movie.

And don't tell that you wanted to mix various continuities or something like that. If you don't like something, you don't use it.

• Thumbs Up 1

OK, I'll humour you. What's wrong with it?

Well lets see:

1. Ludicrously long quills that are in business for itself

2. Large cat ears

3. A nose that protrudes like Pinocchio

4. Ugly lightening green eyes

5. The douchebag Nike smile

6. A human height, stretched out, anorexic body

7. An unfriendly and intimidating expression on everything hes plastered on

As for the movie design, it was a balance composite of his classic and modern look.

How does he even stand up straight? it's a wonder he doesn't fall over ass backwards

Sonicad2.png

How does he even stand up straight? It's a wonder his belly doesn't snap his toothpick legs and send him tumbling. (Hey! I think I know how the spindash works! :lol:)

EDIT: I'm not dissing the classic Sonic model, mind you. I'm just giving a different perspective.

Edited by BlazingTales

@JEV3: I think the better the extremities, the better it aids my point (especially since there are folks out there who might argue that Sonic's attitudinal changes were more extreme than you give them credit for xP). You're very right, though-- Daffy went from a wiry, heroic bird who had more than a few screws loose to a greedy and jealous rival whose attempts to overthrow his lapine peer resulted in defeat and the strengthening of his anger.

And yet, what audience has Daffy lost? Where was the absolute outrage because of his change in demeanor? Where were the people saying that because he lost the ring around his neck that he now sucked and had no timelessness anymore?

This is my point-- There are more than enough examples that I've presented that display how characters have changed to various degrees and yet have still managed to retain their likeability. Sonic has this same ability, and it was practically proven by the success of Sonic Adventure. But I believe that if Sonic Adventure was an example instead of the exception, the amount of people who would be irked by his design would equal those who piss on Daffy Duck constantly because his proportions are different. xP

• Thumbs Up 1

Well lets see:

2. Large cat ears

1. I don't think they are that long, that's opinion.

2. Because Sonic never had huge ears before (see previous post by me).

3. Sonic's classic nose looked like Mario's turned black (very round, very big). :P

4. Without green eyes there are no GUMBALL ONES!

5. That has been around since Sonic 2.

6. 3"3 is human height? Dang... I'm a freak!

7. Show me one angry picture of modern Sonic...

Edited by BlazingTales

Well lets see:

2. Large cat ears

As for the movie design, it was a balance composite of his classic and modern look.

sonic-classic.jpg

1. Obese belly

2. Unrealistic eye color

3. Spines are too short.

4. Gay smirk

5. Tiny cat ears

6. Dumb pointy elf shoes

7. A derpy lame expression on everything he's plastered on.

See, I can make pointless and nonexistant claims too. Doesn't make either of us look cool.

Edited by Indigo Dude
  • Thumbs Up 4

Well lets see:

2. Large cat ears

We see all of those on your movie designs. Ok, maybe not the Nike smile, wooooh!

Your design is 80% modern Sonic, 20% "classic".

pics

You're bringing up logic into a game where Sonic runs faster than 765 miles per hour.

You're overthinking this.

Go get some bedrest or something.

when you line them up like that the last 3 look nightmarhish omfg look at the FACE of the brawl model. HIDEOUS

Uh-uh, that fucker is modern Sonic through and through. The only thing that sorely sticks out to me is that he's rendered in your own particular drawing style....

And has no buckles, which is ironically a staple of both designs. FAILURE. I live for that buckle. ;;!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic is Sonic is Sonic. You're nitpicking far too much. Far, far, too much. Focus on good gameplay before you moan and whine about how many centimeters long his spines are or what color his irises are.

What's wrong with disliking a design? I simply hate the oversized quills and have since I was in first grade. I find that they're ugly because of their length. They're almost as long as he is tall, and it personally just doesn't sit well with me. :/

I won't let that ruin the game, but I just can't bring myself to like the design because of those quills. If they were shorter, then I'd be cool with it. Personally, I just think short quills are cooler.

You want examples of how ugly modern Sonic is? Here's only the tip of the ice burg

zzzzzczzzz.jpg

sonic%20Hedgehog.jpg

2qvr41l.png

• Thumbs Up 2

:/ Just let the modern fans like what they like and the classic fans like what they like.

This bickering is stupid and the solution is simple: SEGA should just include an alternate skin.

You want examples of how ugly modern Sonic is? Here's only the tip of the ice burg

zzzzzczzzz.jpg

sonic%20Hedgehog.jpg

Sonic_4_Logo.png

Any of us can reply with as many (even more) ugly classic Sonic art.

There are ugly and beautiful version of each designs. Your argument fails as both sides have their good and bad representations.

• Thumbs Up 4

gallery_100_38_480344.png

He looks so much better in SatAM than in the boxart, though. I'll agree with that.

To me he's not really ugly in that show, but I'm biased as hell. SatAM Sonic is my favorite rendition of the character period.

Edited by Mega