Awoo.

What are some things from shows or movies that traumatized you?

JPearce

Admit it: There was at least scene that traumatized you when you were younger. I have a couple:

That one scene from Toy Story 3. Yeah, THAT scene. (The hand-holding scene.)

DIE AUTOBOTS! (The Transformers: The Movie, 1986)

The Death of Optimus Prime (Again, The Transformers: The Movie, 1986)     

The Death of Artax (The Never-Ending Story)

"Mr. Arnold!" (Jurassic Park)

What are some of yours?   

Posted (edited)

I really get disgusted by kissing scenes in movies. I don't know why, but they just throw me off.

My family and I LOVE the Jurassic Park/World Series! My dad and I watch it for the Dino's mostly.

Action is amazing! I sometimes watch Marvel and I marvel at the action scenes!

Up's first scenes are too depressing. It feels like you're Shadow and you lost Maria...

Bye Bye Butterfree...:ded:

Edited by Maple Syrup

Posted (edited)

Good question. i've never had a time where- OH WAIT

Ready Player One - The Sence where they get chased by a lady with an axe in the shining

Yeah that's about it. anything romantic is my jam (Yeah, look whose talking). Violence is alright, but When it has to do with Creatrues crawling in bodies- *Mild Throw-Up*

Action Scenes are just BEUTIFUL, no hate there!

Edited by Cyb3rkn1ght

This childhood trauma is really weird, but Charlie Brown's one song in Snoopy Come Home after Snoopy leaves home for the second time... I legitimately lost sleep multiple nights over that one because it was just so sad.

And in terms of adulthood trauma, I was messed up emotionally for four days over THAT scene in Amphibia's season two finale. (Anyone who's watched the show knows what I'm talking about.)

The easiest one that I can remember is all of Jaws. I can't remember how old I was, but I was in middle or secondary school. I don't know what grade equivalent that would be in the US either.

It's odd since I remember some minor details about how I ended up watching it. I didn't have a damn choice. I believe a good number of the class were rehearsing for a play and the rest who weren't involved directly, got to watch a movie. The movie was Jaws. I developed a fear of water for a while, which they timed perfectly since secondary school was also when they tried to teach us how to swim. At the time, we didn't know I was Autistic either so....here's a fun movie that'll traumatize you, now get in the damn water and don't drown!?

I hated my school years so much.

The movie Arachnophobia made me…well, Arachnophobic.

I see anything with 8 legs, and it’s shoot it with a shotgun on sight!

That film scared me enough to study what spiders were potentially venomous so as to avoid them. But I’ve mostly killed spiders just to be safe.

As a child, I had recurring nightmares involving Sesame Street characters. Yes, Sesame Street characters. If mascot horror had been invented back then, it probably would've scarred me for life.

It didn't help that we had Sesame Street bedsheets...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 2

• 2 weeks later...

There were a few, I'm sure! These are the scenes that immediately spring to mind:

Volcano - The scene where a firefighter tries to save someone from a half molten subway tram, and he resorts to jump into the lava in order to save that someone. That made a lasting impression on me which was hard to shake.

The Sixth Sense - The scene where the young protagonist carefully gazes up to the gymnastics hall, through his eyes revealing how he knew about the true history of the school back in the day. This movie utilised loud, startling sounds with sudden shocking imagery, and that scene haunts me to this day.

Now and Again - The scene where an elderly Japanese man escapes from prison. I became addicted to this bittersweet TV series as a child, but in some episodes, there was a travelling terrorist, releasing nerve gas in major cities, if his blackmailing was not followed up, and the scenes were not exactly obscured. The prison scene got to me the most.

On 5/23/2024 at 1:52 PM, Lorekitten said:

As a child, I had recurring nightmares involving Sesame Street characters. Yes, Sesame Street characters. If mascot horror had been invented back then, it probably would've scarred me for life.

It didn't help that we had Sesame Street bedsheets...

Some things that were intended as being child friendly can sometimes be the eeriest of all. I just came from a documentary on Chuck E Cheese's animatronics, and particularly the earlier models make me wonder how they ever were implemented in the first place. In my case, some cafeterias around here had crude wooden troll statues, and they made me terrified to the point of crying, and refusing to go back ever since. Live animatronics would have been the end of me at that time!