Awoo.

Who is your favorite Sonic character and why?

Cuz

Time for this old chestnut to come back because I'm bored, and been seeing some new faces around here unless your all old face running around under assumed names.

So who is it? Explain your reason. 

Mine's Vector the Crocodile. I like how he gets to be both goofy and mature at the same time, like a tight rope act. As the dad of Team Chaotix, and the silly big lipped crocodile. He never fails to put a smile on my face. I wish he got more to do in this franchise. But, he's pretty well off. He's a leader, a sleuth, he's got a love intrest in Vanilla. He does cool things like breath fire and self sacrifice in zombie apocalypses, and play the piano.

• Thumbs Up 1

My favorite Male character is Shadow or Tails. Shadow seems like a mysterious guy but he just misses his deceased friend. Tails is smart and cute! What's not to like?

My favorite Sonic girls are Cream the Rabbit and Amy Rose. They're sweet, adorable, and kind! I absolutely love them!

• Fist Bump 5

Egg Boss Conquering Storm.

IMG_1519.thumb.webp.d4ec4fce42d370ec141c12aa07f8f68b.webp
To be honest, I really think it’s just her design and being aligned to Dr. Eggman.

And being a ninja of a sort. She hasn’t exactly had much exposure, which is a shame, because what little we’ve seen of her has her fighting her enemies bare-handed.

Yeah, not as impressive as characters like Knuckles making craters in the ground, but who’s to say that’s all she could do?

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, Following how @Maple Syrupdid hers, I'll follow and say my favorite male characters has to be Basically all 3 Hedgehogs, Tails, Mighty and Espio. For the Females, Blaze, Marine, Amy, Cream, Sally, and Whisper.

As to why? I have zero clue. they all have rotating personallitys that I just love, you know? Blaze, Sonic and Shadow has that Trailblazer feeling, Marine, Tails and Espio feels like Supporting roles, like me. Amy, Cream and Whisper is all cute, and Silver, Sally and Mighty are all protectors, like I would do for anyone else.

Edited by Cyb3rkn1ght
  • Fist Bump 2

Posted (edited)

I didn't think about breaking down by gender.

I honestly need to redo my character ranking tiers. I think Sally out ranks Amy now. Game Apologist's video did a real good job explaining the positives of Sonic and Sally's relationship, and I like how she plays off the rest of the cast. From things like the old romatic flares with Knuckles, to doteing on Cream and Tails (in his younger SatAM days). And her on Nicole all the time really aged well with people on their smart phones all the time.

Edited by Cuz
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Oh boy, this is going to be a long list, but here are my favorite characters (in no particular order):

1. Knuckles: Ever since I first played "Sonic 3 and Knuckles," I always loved Knuckles' powerset as being the strongest of the trio and in regards to his personality, I loved how Knuckles is usually more serious than Sonic and it just made their relationship with each other one of the most interesting aspects of this series to me.

2. Tails: I used to play as Tails, while my sister played as Sonic when we were kids and I always loved the fact that Tails can fly around the stages.  Also, I just love how cute Tails is!  Like his two tails make him the most adorable fox ever!  Also, I love the fact that Tails is able to build things whenever he can.  I especially loved how he upgraded the Tornado in the Sonic Adventure games.

3. Shadow: Shadow is easily the most complex character in the entire franchise.  I really loved his tragic backstory about losing Maria, as that does define his character, to a degree.  I also like the fact that he is a proper rival to Sonic, as Shadow is more serious, while Sonic is more light hearted.

4. Whisper the Wolf:  So, I just started reading the IDW comics and Whisper the Wolf has become one of my all-time favorite characters from the series.  I just loved her tragic backstory and how the events in that story affected her as a character.  It's also nice to have another Sonic character who is a lot more complex in personality.

5. Tangle the Lemur:  She's another character introduced in the IDW comics and I just love her energetic personality and how friendly she is to everyone.  I especially love her dynamic with Sonic, as the both of them are energetic people who want to beat up robots.

• Fist Bump 4

So... this is something of a controversial topic, considering the character's origins and initial depiction, but I've always had a soft spot for Antoine, even in his original SatAM incarnation.

Yes, I'm well aware SatAM Antoine was a bad French stereotype. I'm not making any excuses for that; sure it was the 90's but it was still not cool. But what attracted me to what was essentially the show's comic relief character was, ironically enough, that he was objectively terrible at everything and usually only served as a hinderance to his teammates, constantly needing to be rescued by his main rival of all people... yet he kept trying. Sure, a big part of that was his ego constantly writing checks he couldn't cash, and his constant attempts to one-up the title character of the entire show to impress their shared love interest... and let's be fair, a normal Mobian wouldn't be able to accomplish that, and Antoine very clearly had issues going on beyond the whole ESL thing (I will forever headcanon him as neurodivergent and you can't stop me) so nobody would have blamed him if he'd eventually just given up on the whole thing.

But he didn't. Maybe part of that was just sheer bloody-minded stubbornness, but he kept going. No matter how many times he fell down, he kept getting up. Over, and over, and over. And eventually that led to his character arc/redemption in the Archie comics, which very nearly ended in what would've been a heroic sacrifice if Sega hadn't put their foot down on Ian Flynn  killing off a core Freedom Fighter and/or the Ken Penders lawsuits hadn't resulted in the Archieverse's reboot.

So that's how Antoine became my favorite Sonic character ever.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 2

My favorite character is Shadow the Hedgehog. I’m the kind of guy who enjoys a dose of serious lore in my lighthearted Sonic story, and stuff like Project Shadow definitely fills that niche. Shadow is also a very compelling character in SA2. I’ve even come to enjoy the cheesy edgy nonsense like Shadow using guns and motorcycles. I could go on about why I love him, but it won’t be anything you haven’t heard already. IMG_9162.jpeg.0daa7b43a9ddb5e53c5f505c7ea0ba57.jpeg

• Chuckle 1
  • Fist Bump 2

Posted (edited)

image.thumb.png.7ec83b75029560bbc2c1c3599c44ab2d.png

Here's my updated list of characters as I see it. 

Sonic and Robotnik have real diverse characterizations over the franchise's 30 some years.  

Amy was a real fire cracker in Sonic X that made her fun to watch, and I like the StC version. Plus she gets points for being an active character as in still around.

Tekno works off Amy real well and is a fun brainic to have around with a snazzy outfit.

Bunnie has an interesting backstory a fun personaliy and I like the representation of a disabled person in the series.

Knuckles history is interesting his brash behavior around Sonic is fun, I liked him as a lone wolf in Archie before Shadow took the roll. 

Honey the Cat is a creepy pasta character for real without the creepy and I find that fascinating.

I like Mina's original girl next door audience surrogate roll in the book, and she's not too bad as a popstar just a little sidelined.

Rouge has a lot of sides to her between being Knuckles rival, a super spy, Shadow's keeper a jewal theif etc. what's not to like a real femme fatale,

Mighty is a fun hulk level threat and funny enough the same color scheme as Shadow.

Shadow is one of the best realized in the games narritively.

Now the B tier has a lot of buts.

Espio has a lot of fun quirks but is too stoic for his own good.

Tails is often saddled with the technobabble and not allowed the little brother and side kick aspects don't shine through as well.

Likewise Cream is just a helpless civilian sometimes.

Edited by Cuz
  • Thumbs Up 2

Metal Sonic because Sonic CD is literally the best game and HE"S SOOOO COOL Man I think it's his design but he's like a cooler Sonic, man. 

Jet cuz Uh I don't know why really I think he's a pretty interesting character and very underrated

I also like Sonic cuz I'm basic lmao 

• Fist Bump 1

Mine's probably Rouge. I just think she's really neat. Like, she's a double agent, spy, master thief, and government personnel all at once, and you can't tell me that's not kickass. Her whole Femme Fatale shtick in SA2 was what really made me appreciate her as a character, and in a certain way I've always looked up to the type of character she is.

Looking past all of her selfish tendencies there's a lot more than meets the eye. Most fans either complain about her outfit being "too sexy" (in denial, perhaps? grow up.) or thirst over her outfit being "too sexy", which I think is wrong on some level on both ends. Why is the feminization of characters always equated to companies "sexualizing them"? Why can't a woman wear what she wants, in reason, of course, if it makes her feel confident and proud of who she is? Let's take a look at Bayonetta, shall we? Bayonetta is a great example of a strong female character who is still, well, classically feminine. The outfits that she wears never objectify her or define her as being nothing more than a tool to male characters, she just wears them because she can and she wants to. People, side-eyeing you, 85% of Twitter users, need to grow up and stop slapping labels on things that they don't care to understand.

Rouge radiates this aura of confidence that makes her character stand out. She is who she is, and she's not afraid to do whatever it takes to get what she wants. She's a woman who knows exactly what she wants, when she wants it, and how she's going to get it, which is already admirable in its own right. She's sly and smart, and though she looks innocent enough, she packs a frightening punch. She maintains her classy attitude in the face of even the likes of Shadow (probably why they're friends; she's not scared of him and he's given up trying to be threatening lol), and is never afraid to get her hands dirty (within reason, of course).

Rouge just so cool and I'm so upset at the blatant case of character assassination she's endured. I seriously feel that Karen Strassman needs to go and be replaced with someone like Kazumi Evans or, hell, if they had even a chance of bringing back Kathleen Delaney I'd be on that train in a heartbeat (though I guess this applies with most of the current Sonic cast anyways, so).

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 2
  • Fist Bump 2

@cosmichaosThe Rouge love makes me so happy! I'd never actually thought much about her characterization until recently. We got a group of friends together to play through and voice act The Murder Of, recently (the others went in blind) and I was passed the role of Rouge without thinking about it. Spending a little more time with her characterization and personality made her really grow on me! She's self-assured in her presentation and her goals. She has that sort of earlier Sonic vibe, where she'll often do the right thing even if she's snarky and a little crass about it. Her basis for characterization too, being a treasure hunter, is what I see people wanting out of Knuckles despite his role as a guardian (though Frontiers shook this up...). And hard agree, her performance in Dream Team is super disappointing. Hoping she gets some justice done to her.

My favorite character is, not unsurprisingly, Blaze, but more as a point of nostalgia/comfort rather than me really vibing with her characterization or story. Her role as a princess is pretty unexplored, she doesn't have a lot of depth even in Rush/Rush Adventure, the Sol dimension's initial villain is... just Eggman again (though I dig the pirates), and even when she shines in IDW she hasn't blown my socks off. I think her design is what draws me in. I Just Think She's Neat!

I'm not really a shipper , but I think Sir Percival's* weird little blush at Sonic was at least an interesting direction to take that form of her, and that her being friends with Silver in IDW, despite the weight over them that is 06's characterization, was heartwarming. These two cameo characters aren't from here and they can bond over that. That's sweet!

Edited by niaco
  • Promotion 1

3 hours ago, niaco said:

I'm not really a shipper , but I think Sir Lancelot's weird little blush at Sonic was at least an interesting direction to take that form of her,

Oh, just a heads up, not that it really matters, but I think you mean Sir Percival! Sir Lancelot was Shadow, lol. Just a mild misunderstanding! :)

• My Emmerdoods 1

Lol I promise I knew that, oh dear... In my moment of calling myself not-a-shipper I accidentally invented a crack ship of my own...

Edited by niaco
  • Chuckle 1

@niaco , y'know, I remember making a post about this in @Cyb3rkn1ght 's topic "What are your relationship headcanons?", but Lansoni isn't a crackship, rather an actual ship, and it's pretty popular in the S&tBK fandom! I've honestly never really seen any of the other knights that aren't Lancelot (Percival, Gawain) shipped with Sonic, sans like, one old fanart I vaguely remember seeing that was from like 2010. I believe the appeal comes from the fact that Lansoni is basically just Sonadow but without the rivalry; instead it's unrequited loyalty from Lancelot. 

• Promotion 1

Controvetioal, but Sonadow < Lansoni

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

5 minutes ago, Cyb3rkn1ght said:

Controvetioal, but Sonadow < Lansoni

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I can definitely see the appeal in Lansoni/Arthurlot to people who prefer unrequited love over rivals to lovers tropes. I think they're both great, honestly! But, just between you and me, I think that Arthurlot is the superior Lansoni. It's pretty obscure, but it's just so good. It's like, because it doesn't have a huge fanbase there's less room for people to ruin it, so it stays largely untouched, which is always the great thing about rarepairs.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, cosmichaos said:

But, just between you and me, I think that Arthurlot is the superior Lansoni. It's pretty obscure, but it's just so good. It's like, because it doesn't have a huge fanbase there's less room for people to ruin it, so it stays largely untouched, which is always the great thing about rarepairs.

I just, dont know how to feel about Sonadow. i want to hate it bc its weird, but another peaice of me is like "But its hella cute tho", and it has a point. Same thing with Authurlot. i Want to love aaall on it, but some part of me is like "But why would a pawn/worker, like the king/Boss?" But its perfect and I just DONT, KNOW!

4 minutes ago, Cyb3rkn1ght said:

I just, dont know how to feel about Sonadow. i want to hate it bc its weird, but another peaice of me is like "But its hella cute tho", and it has a point. Same thing with Authurlot. i Want to love aaall on it, but some part of me is like "But why would a pawn/worker, like the king/Boss?" But its perfect and I just DONT, KNOW!

Well, maybe I could help clear it up for you? I get bored a lot, and when I get bored I start analyzing characters in depth. I think that might've been what made me like Sonadow in the first place, lol. Why do you think it's weird?

As for Arthurlot, the idea in most content made for the ship is that Arthur and Lancelot were childhood friends/crushes, and when Arthur became king it kind of caused a tear between them that was mended later in their lives through the progression of their relationship and the eventual realization of feelings on both sides. Additionally, kings and their knights are people all the same. They each have feelings regarding other people in their lives; that isn't discounted just because someone is or isn't in a position of power. Loyalty can become or stem from love, be it platonic or romantic. There's nothing inherently strange about a knight being in love with a king or vice versa. Workplace relationships aren't entirely uncommon.

• Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, cosmichaos said:

As for Arthurlot, the idea in most content made for the ship is that Arthur and Lancelot were childhood friends/crushes, and when Arthur became king it kind of caused a tear between them that was mended later in their lives through the progression of their relationship and the eventual realization of feelings on both sides. Additionally, kings and their knights are people all the same. They each have feelings regarding other people in their lives; that isn't discounted just because someone is or isn't in a position of power. Loyalty can become or stem from love, be it platonic or romantic. There's nothing inherently strange about a knight being in love with a king or vice versa. Workplace relationships aren't entirely uncommon.

Awww, thats sweet! im definetly on board with this now! So Cutee!

Anyway, what I find weird about Sonadow is The reputation. Something inside me wants to be the Basic "Eww that's gay" Hater (Which, doesn't make much sense since I'm gay myself but you get it), but the other is like "its perfect, wym?". if I had to choose a side, id be with than against Sonadow, but It eats at me, weirdly. I think Shadow is out of Sonic's lead, but he really isn't. sure he's rough 'N Tough, but that shouldn't mean anything. something that supports that Is Sonic Prime. in there, he's still that sour lone wolf, but he really cares for Sonic, and sonic himself Openly Cares for shadow, so its a perfect balance. 

All in all, I'm Weird :tea:

To me is Sonic himself, the main reason is that I grown up idolizing him. Sonic inspired most of things in my life, when I was a small kid my parents got divorced and after that they weren't present and living in my house... wasn't even a bit good, it became a nightmare at this time. My escapism became the Sonic series and Dragon Ball. I started to see Sonic, how he was so free, courageous and heroic and I wanted to be like that. I know how this all sounds infantile, but I was five years old at the time (even if I still think like that).

So I started to use Sonic and Goku as hole models. By mimicking him I started to become more confident, my sadness started to disappear. I started to not only try to think the positive side of a bad situation, I started to move forward and make the positive side of every situation by my own actions.

I started to run, it became my favorite activity. I learned gymnastics by myself, started martial-arts classes (learned JKD, kickboxing, Taekwondo and Capoeira), I even learned breakdance. Now I'm trying to learn how to play guitar. All of this things started because I wanted to be more like him. All those things were great because now I'm in a physical education college, it's funny that my professional career started just because I wanted to be like Sonic.

I can say that I'm were I am today thanks to him. He's my favorite character because in every step in my life, small or big, I had him by my side.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

2 hours ago, Cyb3rkn1ght said:

Anyway, what I find weird about Sonadow is The reputation. Something inside me wants to be the Basic "Eww that's gay" Hater (Which, doesn't make much sense since I'm gay myself but you get it), but the other is like "its perfect, wym?". if I had to choose a side, id be with than against Sonadow, but It eats at me, weirdly. I think Shadow is out of Sonic's lead, but he really isn't. sure he's rough 'N Tough, but that shouldn't mean anything. something that supports that Is Sonic Prime. in there, he's still that sour lone wolf, but he really cares for Sonic, and sonic himself Openly Cares for shadow, so its a perfect balance. 

When I was very young I generally had a negative mindset towards a lot of things because I didn't understand them. That's fairly natural, especially if you take into consideration childhood experiences. Everyone thinks they know best at some point in their lives, but just because we don't understand something doesn't make it weird. There are obviously limits, but everyone should be free to make their own judgements on most matters. Life consists of figuring things out.

Lots of people, especially considering the toxic volatility of most of the Sonic fandom, feel shame regarding the ships that they like because some people are just so emotionally immature that they'll throw stone over fictional characters. No one should ever have to feel judged based on what some nobody who bullies people on the internet thinks is "cringe" or not. Those people's opinions are worthless. If you enjoy Sonadow, then you have absolutely nothing to be ashamed of. It's a valid ship, and it has a huge following of kind and great people! Don't let it eat at you, because you're great, no matter what cowards try to tell you.

And I agree. They really do (did? considering poor Shadow's character assassination) have great chemistry. They work well together and bounce off each other in a fun and engaging way.

• Fist Bump 2

2 hours ago, Cyb3rkn1ght said:

Awww, thats sweet! im definetly on board with this now! So Cutee!

All in all, I'm Weird :tea:

Yes! I think it is cute but also... GAY...

• Confused 2

4 hours ago, GeAr-DX said:

To me is Sonic himself, the main reason is that I grown up idolizing him. Sonic inspired most of things in my life, when I was a small kid my parents got divorced and after that they weren't present and living in my house... wasn't even a bit good, it became a nightmare at this time. My escapism became the Sonic series and Dragon Ball. I started to see Sonic, how he was so free, courageous and heroic and I wanted to be like that. I know how this all sounds infantile, but I was five years old at the time (even if I still think like that).

So I started to use Sonic and Goku as hole models. By mimicking him I started to become more confident, my sadness started to disappear. I started to not only try to think the positive side of a bad situation, I started to move forward and make the positive side of every situation by my own actions.

I started to run, it became my favorite activity. I learned gymnastics by myself, started martial-arts classes (learned JKD, kickboxing, Taekwondo and Capoeira), I even learned breakdance. Now I'm trying to learn how to play guitar. All of this things started because I wanted to be more like him. All those things were great because now I'm in a physical education college, it's funny that my professional career started just because I wanted to be like Sonic.

I can say that I'm were I am today thanks to him. He's my favorite character because in every step in my life, small or big, I had him by my side.

You know what, I’ve been thinking about this post all day, and it really touches me on another level. Personally, I also wanted to be just like Sonic, but I’ve had Numerous Setbacks. Body Conditions, Self-Confidence, and so much more. But you know what? I’ll keep going. Straight to the top, I’ll keep going. I’ll finally learn how to play Keyboard, I’ll learn to code, I’ll learn to dance and fight and play like the rest of the world, no matter how many seizures I have, no matter how much poor muscle tone is in my body, no matter how bad my Overjet is, I’ll keep fighting. There is so much more than just being the kid trying to run away from Bullies and getting picked on, more than being fragile, and I’ll just have to make that step into my reality. Someday, I’ll be the best, and all it will take is blood, sweat and tears. To fight like a knight until the battle is won, I will finally reach the stars, and the endless possibilities beyond it too.

• Fist Bump 2

47 minutes ago, Cyb3rkn1ght said:

You know what, I’ve been thinking about this post all day, and it really touches me on another level. Personally, I also wanted to be just like Sonic, but I’ve had Numerous Setbacks. Body Conditions, Self-Confidence, and so much more. But you know what? I’ll keep going. Straight to the top, I’ll keep going. I’ll finally learn how to play Keyboard, I’ll learn to code, I’ll learn to dance and fight and play like the rest of the world, no matter how many seizures I have, no matter how much poor muscle tone is in my body, no matter how bad my Overjet is, I’ll keep fighting. There is so much more than just being the kid trying to run away from Bullies and getting picked on, more than being fragile, and I’ll just have to make that step into my reality. Someday, I’ll be the best, and all it will take is blood, sweat and tears. To fight like a knight until the battle is won, I will finally reach the stars, and the endless possibilities beyond it too.

I wish I could be like a Sonic character. They're strong and confident of themselves. Take Tails. He's a nerdy geek, just like me, but he becomes a leader. I don't think I have leadership qualities like that. I keep to myself and I suffer from low Self-Esteem. I have no friends, and I feel like no one in the world understands me.  And I believe that's how Tails felt like. Or Shadow. He doesn't rely on words, and tries to be strong and independent, while hiding his sadnesses. Kinda like me. I try to seem strong but, I'm just too emotional. You see, I'm not any ordinary girl. I don't like dance. I don't focus on making my appearance better. Instead of buying come sparkly lipstick, I'd be looking for a cool new video game. Or when others go all out at parties, I'd be reading a book. I like coding, video games, and space! I like wondering the why's, or how's. Though I may be an edgy geek, I am still a person, trying to thrive. Though I may not seem like it, I'm trying. I try to encourage myself, when no one does. I try to slow myself down, when everyone pushes me. I try to become better, one step at a time, when I get thrown up the stairs by everybody. I try to grow up at my own pace, when people want me to mature faster, like farmers using pesticide for their plants. I always hope that I'll become the person I want to be. Strong, Smart, and most importantly, Independent. And maybe one day, in the future, those Possibilities will be within my Reach, and the Stars will not seem so far at all.

Edited by Maple Syrup
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1