Awoo.

Knuckles Show Opinions and Spoilers Discussion Thread

Shiny Gems

Make sure to use spoilers when necessary. For those who have seen the show, which just released today I the USA, what are your thoughts on it? Is it good, bad, or mixed to you? Again, make sure to use spoilers when needed.

I will have to watch it later myself, for I am away from home, unfortunately.

Watched a tad of the beginning and 

Spoiler

I love how he actually remembers his Clan, unlike his game counterpart.

Also it’s REALLY funny 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 2

Spoiler

IT WAS SO CUTE WHEN TAILS PET OZZY AND SAID "GOOD BOY" FLYFTYJNDRCMRJKYDGFHJAAAAAAHHHH

• Fist Bump 2

So just got done with it my thoughts for the episodes are episodes 1-3 have the most time with Knuckles

Then episode 4 is Wade's exclusively and thankfully is the shortest of them,

Spoiler

I wasn't expecting Iblis to get in before some other characters, but parody and seemingly implied Knuckles fought and took care of him before events of movie 2 and unlocked his fire fist abilities like in the games so is some lore here, but that said Iblis could show up again in actual form an official movie if he's like in 06 in being defeatable, but revives again in a certain amount of time which was why Silver thought it was a hopeless situation to save the world in the future, so again would be nice if we do get an eventual 06 movie with some stuff changed around of course *cough* Elise *cough*.

Lastly, episodes 5 and 6 did lean a bit too much on humans. I did appreciate some of the

Spoiler

GUN tidbits for explaining things

, but Knuckles still had some time to shine, but probably is the moment budget for cgi character couldn't show him up as much is my thoughts on it. Overall, I'd give the show a 7.5, but at my lowest to conceding to from anyone else a 6 as it was nice content until movie 3, I thought humans only was going to be way worse when I had heard some of the reviews before it released.

Paramount failed on setting expectations to high for some Sonic fans in what to expect, I think the show would have been way worse off reception wise had it came out last year as it originally intended to as a wait for movie 3, so as a blessing in disguise given the actor strike it's a good thing this did get delayed to a now just 8 months away from the very next SCU/Sonic Cinematic Universe event. So yeah, I would have been a lot more peeved at this had that been the case.

• Nice Smile 1

Just finished. Episodes 1 & 2 were great, but it had a very steep decline starting with episode 3 imho. sure, funny stuff here and there but for a show called knuckles our boi had much too little screentime imho. Very disappointed.

• Unamused 1

Binged the entire show today.

Overall I'd say this is the worst thing in Sonic movie franchise and it's kind of disappointing, because the first 2 episodes were actually pretty decent. Which makes sense, considering Jeff directed the first episode and one of the writers of the 2nd movie wrote those 2 episodes (and also the last one).

Spoiler

I don't know what the fuck happened starting with episode 3, it just fucking nosedived. It somehow went from lighthearted shenanigans with Knuckles and Wade with some stakes of GUN members-gone-rogue capturing Knuckles to a weird family dinner drama where Wade's mom compares Knuckles' backstory to holocaust and Wade nutting on a cardboard of a muscular woman. Then there's episode 4, which is definitely gonna be divisive and will definitely become a critics/casuals vs sonic fans kind of deal. As a musical it's fine, as a Knuckles thing I hated that that's the way they decided to present Knuckles' backstory.

Then episodes 5 and 6 were just the bowling tournament and more family drama, this time with the father, barely any Knuckles outside of the last 5 or so minutes of the last episode, where the Dealer shows up for the 3rd time ever in that show. Oh yeah, the Dealer was kinda fucking nothing as well, but I guess I shouldn't have expected anything from someone that always looked like he was nothing.

So yeah, seriously not impressed. Would I call it the worst Sonic media ever? Ehh, I can see it was made professionally, Idris Elba is still a good Knuckles, and like I said, the first 2 episodes were actually good. Would I call it good? Hell no and I hope they never make these types of spin-off shows.

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Fist Bump 1
  • Unamused 1

26 minutes ago, Bobnik said:
  Hide contents

Wade's mom compares Knuckles' backstory to holocaust

How does that keep happening to Knuckles.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3
  • My Emmerdoods 1
  • Absolutely 2

It’s fine. Not great, but definitely not worth all the hate it’s getting. But i always remind myself it’s just a little side story. Seeing as the episodes that are more liked seem to have been written by the movie crew and directed by Fowler, it gives me hope for Movie 3. 

Even if I didn’t like it, I’d rather have this and easily skip over it rather than have it be all MCU and be required viewing for future films.

• Thumbs Up 2

33 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

How does that keep happening to Knuckles.

Spoiler

Something about having your entire race destroyed will inevitably bring up comparisons.

Posted (edited)

I am up to episode 4.

Spoiler

Speaking of episode 4, I love the musical that was in it! Was that Iblis from Sonic 06 or was it something else?

Honestly, I am having a lot of fun with this series!

EDIT: Okay, watched the whole thing, and I loved it!

Spoiler

Sure, it was a bit predictable at parts, but it was worth a watch all the way!

I wonder why they did not show how Maddie reacted to Knuckles leaving when he was grounded? Also, I wonder who the alien that was part of the earlier event at that bowling tournament that was not red?

Eh, either can't be a big deal.

Edited by Shiny Gems
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Promotion 1

Tbh, I'm mixed to positive on it.

Spoiler

I probably would be completely positive on it if they were just up front on the show by calling it, "Wade & Knuckles"

Not just for the mythology joke, but y'know Wade getting the majority of focus at Knuckles expense.

• Thumbs Up 3

Its the final round of "looks good on paper but turned out awful"  and our finalists are:

Book of Bubba Fett Vs Knuckles.

Hmmm. Cant call a winner there

• Chuckle 1

To be honest, I personally don’t agree that just being upfront with Wade would fix anything. The problem isn’t even exactly it being a Wade show, it’s that the writing for everyone and everything outside of Knuckles is just really, really bad. Jokes don’t land, characters aren’t particularly interesting or memorable - and the ones who are vaguely memorable are memorable for the wrong reasons (Wade’s sister in particular is absolutely irritating throughout the entire show). 

What doesn’t help is the show is just an outright tone shift from what the movies established and not in a good way. It tries to play things up as cartoonish and whacky, and it doesn’t really work or fit. It’s the bar scene from Sonic 2 driven up to eleven and for most of the show, and in my eyes, it results in the show coming off as cringe more times than not. The villains are bland and over the top, the supporting cast are uninteresting and mostly unfunny and annoying, and the humour is just badly written. 

Spoiler

In particular, Episode 4 taking what was meant to be a tragic backstory for Knuckles in Sonic 2, one of the film’s highest emotional moments - and turning it into a bad, low budget rock opera, with Wade running around dressed as Knuckles while they make bad jokes repeatedly is probably the rock bottom of the entire show.

It’s easy to say “oh well the show is great when Knuckles is there”, but there’s a reason why that is. Wade doesn’t just suddenly zap the atmosphere when he appears, it comes down to the writing, supporting cast, and jokes, and ultimately, the problem is the jokes aren’t really funny.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 4

Spoiler

GMJOCvLXsAApUDC?format=jpg&name=360x360

“I never liked Robotnik…he was always so cruel to me. Called me…SNIVELING.”

Oh...was that who he was supposed to be?

Edited by Sonictrainer
  • Chuckle 1

*deep breath* It wasn't good.

The moment I knew Rouge or anyone else won't be here my expectations hit the floor and the show was 90% kind to meet those expectations. This show is mostly either a shameless retread of the first movie or everything we feared the first movie would be. I can count really good jokes on one hand.

Also, you can feel limited budged on Knuckles. By how little screen time he has or how often he just stands perfectly still. The only part I really enjoyed with him was the training montage at the start.

Episodes 1-2 weren't great, but manageable.

Spoiler

Everything with Sonic & family was cute enough. Same with Wade getting humiliated by a scoutgirl.

Then Pachacamac shows up and things get stupid. This setup is so forced and makes zero sense.

Cue generic stupid bad guys and Wade's rescue of Knuckles, which isn't as funny as it thinks, but whatever, it tries.

Then human protagonist is wanted by police (a plot point which goes nowhere), so he goes to meet with a family member who doesn't like him. Wow, that's a commitment to rehashing material.

Episode 3 was the cringiest thing I've seen in a while.

Spoiler

I HATE WADE'S SISTER. I HATE WADE'S SISTER. I HATE WADE'S SISTER.

Mother was pretty bad too, fight whatever, joke in Wade's room shouldn't be in kid show. Anyway.

I HATE WADE'S SISTER. I HATE WADE'S SISTER. I HATE WADE'S SISTER.

Strong contender for worst Sonic character period.

Episode 4 was counterpart to Bridezilla stuff. Not what I wanted but at least they tried and I can respect the commitment.

Spoiler

The dream theater should been either sillier or way more serious, but I still respect it. Some effects were fun, like Wade-Knux 'gliding' by wearing half of dark suit. Sidenote, this is the only time Knuckles 'taught' Wade anything. By letting Pachacamac do all the teaching.

Jack Sinclair business was at least trying to be crazy. Reminds me of dance-off in Sonic 2. Which is far from my favorite scene, but still it's trying. The only thing I'm not fan of is this is the 'origin' for Knuckles hat. Wade gave him to Knux (off-screen) after taking it from Jack (also off-screen). IDK, I would give hat to the Buyer, so Knuckles could say he earn that thing in battle.

Episodes 5-6 were just generic.

Spoiler

At this point show stops even pretending it's about Knuckles. He's here only for action scenes. He didn't learn to appreciate family or different ways of being warrior or anything like that. It's all about Wade.

The few parts with Knuckles are just Sonic 1 but weaker. I don't even feel like talking about Buyer, he's such nonentity.

The Wade story is generic I-guess-functional movie. His conversation with his mother was almost good, I wasn't sure this show could do a mature conversation without a single joke. And his father is the proper conclusion to this story. I just want to know why such a horrible father kept all of his son's Music Videos on him in perfect condition. They really should have addressed it, even with a joke.

Either way, I came here for Knuckles, not Wade the Bowling Guy. I would never waste my limited time on this planet on watching "Wade the Bowling Guy".

In conclusion... not much.

But I was expecting not to expect much so whatever.

Edited by MetalSkulkBane
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, judging from all these remarks, I do not feel sad in the slightest for not having a Paramount+ subscription.

• Fist Bump 1

5 hours ago, castell-neath said:

Its the final round of "looks good on paper but turned out awful"  and our finalists are:

Book of Bubba Fett Vs Knuckles.

Hmmm. Cant call a winner there

Basically, they both had no story to tell, even though the titular characters in the respective series have a lot to say. Kinda an empty miniseries here too.

Okay, I just finished it, and yeah it's like Sonic 1 with Knuckles except the movie had a lot more focus on Sonic, I won't lie though it was entertaining and wacky, it's a low budget copy of James Gunn's works like Peacemaker and GotG, I get that vibe and I didn't mind it, I just wanted to see more Knuckles to be honest. Episode 3 is the worst, but I dare to say episode 4 is my favorite...

Spoiler

I wish they presented it better but the idea is wacky fun, I love the elements they combined, musical, puppets, Pachacamac the guide to Wade's hero's journey, it was cool but I still wanted to see Knuckles' story to be explored better, and not just like that though..

No game songs again, but there were tiny references, it's definitely not a product for Sonic fans... sadly, and NOT big on source material, there was almost nothing at all from the games which is absurd to say. Although again, I liked

Spoiler

the intro song and how they tied up to it in the ending scene. The story is also well told tbh, it has a good moral but again, it's not really Sonic-centric, so I am kinda bothered by it because it should have been Knuckles.

Well, I just want to say...

Spoiler

It was funny that there was an Ice Cap Resort in the show. First, Green Hills and now Ice Cap. What's next, Chemical Plant?

I do wonder if that was the Ice Cap from Sonic 3 and Knuckles or from Sonic Adventure 1? I'd say the latter because the Ice Cap area had a resort, and resorts were seen at the bottom of the hill in Sonic Adventure's Ice Cap.

• Thumbs Up 1

This show was so damn annoying, except for episode 1, and it wasn't even focusing on Knuckles. It was more of the Wade show. Like why? What made him so interesting to be involved when this was supposed to be Knuckles?. Plus the writing was horrible. None of the jokes, except when Wade was dragged out of his home and Knuckles was drinking from a coffee pot, was even funny. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

The show was good. Not great, but not that bad either. Some of the jokes made me laugh, while there was some cringe gags thrown in as well.

You really have to turn your brain off to enjoy it though.

Ok finished this thing. I’d say it’s a Solid 6 or 7/10 show.

I didn’t really feel like Knuckles wasn’t in this enough (as some have pointed out) and actually, he was in it more than I expected. However this show should have been titled Wade the Human & Knuckles, which is more honest (but obviously I get why they didn't).

I also could have sworn that I’d read that these were 6 x 1 hour episodes as opposed to half that. But, for what this actually was (which is basically the goofier bits of the films x 30 mins x 6)… I’m glad it ended up being shorter. 

When it came to the absurd comedy, not all of this “hit” and often felt out of place because it was focused on longer term  abstract/cartoonish humour in the real world (as opposed to the throwaway quick gags in the films). So it sort of made this world just feel less real to me than it was portrayed in the movies - a strange thing to say considering CGI videogame characters roam around, but I digress. The references to the games and pop culture were also hit and hit. I’m very surprised the short ET moon sequence got a pass also - I laughed at that bit... but for the wrong reasons. 

What I will say is that I felt that the Wade & Knuckles combo worked surprisingly well and they both gave me plenty of chuckles when together or in proximity. That rock opera Knuckles backstory production nonsense in episode 4 was also beautifully done - I'm always a fan of stupid musical stuff like this, especially when they go in this hard creatively with game reference material. 

All said and done, I do fall into the camp of feeling like it was more focused on Wade’s training & bowling quest to impress/get approval from/overcome his dad 60% of the time (and anything to do with Wade’s extended family was a slog to get through). It’s a shame that there were these D-list human characters that they try to provide forced empathy for (and something relatable for Knuckles), and this didn't pay off in the same way like Sonic did with the Wachowski's IMO. I wish they'd left the family behind in episode 3 to focus solely on Wade and Knuckles dynamic. Especially if they weren't interested in focusing much on Knuckles plight in finding his place on Earth / new family / having the audience learning more where he came from in a meaningful way / how he got his “power” / more insight into the Echidnas / etc etc... other than through the Wipples.

I did enjoy Christopher "Doc Brown" Lloyds turn as Parachamac in the apparitions. Nice casting, but again, not enough of this. They made him more of a goofball sage type and he spends more time guiding Wade than Knuckles, which is bizarre. I don't understand the payoff of this point either where...

Spoiler

...Wade gets the power to bust out of the cage in Knuckles style. If he was able to achieve something overpoweringly mythical like that, then why did he need the Power Gloves at the end to fight the Boss? Also, what IS this Flames of Disaster power that Knuckles has? Is this just a cute reference? Is it separate to his regular charged power (like Sonic's?) where does this come from as well? I have too many questions that this show didn't want to answer. Instead they showed what was probably the most important part of Knuckles backstory through quick speech dumps, or a musical (which was great! ...but also whhhy?) 

Spoiler

Furthermore, as a Brit I am getting a little tired of the overused “British = evil/arrogant" trope alongside the affected posh accent. In reality 1-2% of the British population speaks this way. It's lazy representation.

That said, I appreciated that they did reference Wade’s dad affecting it on purpose.

What I liked was Knuckles really impressed in the fight sequences or whenever he had screen time. It's nice to see him shown as capable w/o Sonic & I enjoy Idris’s performance. I also hope he keeps the Cowboy hat now - I’d love to see this item of hatwear get a little more mainstay in one section of the Sonic Universe.

But the way the show ended was… strange and abrupt. Even the mid sequence cap-off didn’t feel like an ending (I was expecting a reunion with Sonic & Tails and Co to full circle his adventure & appreciation and what he learnt on the journey.) Instead - it’s Knuckles and Wade riding off into the sunset (bad CGI here - did they run out of budget?) and Knuckles proclaims that Scandel’s “The Warrior” is his jam? I’m sorry, but no. Just because the lyrics are slightly adjacent with the show themes does not a show theme make. IMO it’s a tonally mismatched 80’s tune that was forcibly used for the opening credits (lovingly animated I will note), and it doesn’t fit the ending either.

This is more Wades jam if anything - and maybe that’s the point?  But it isn't his show... is it? Knuckles usual R&B from the Sonic Adventure games needed to be more in play here as he discovers music. It lends to the oddity that the show should be revolving around Knuckles as he grows... not the other characters. Knuckles should play second fiddle to Sonic, but not Wade Ripple is my point.

Other than that, I was impressed that they managed to keep the continuity in line considering GUN was only “established in name” after Sonic 1 (in this universe), so I’m intrigued by this secret black ops agency thread that Robotnik likely came into (and which has secrets that continue to be explored in Sonic 3 since Shadow was hidden away), Since SA:2’s storyline will be heavily used it implies the government have known about creatures like Sonic way before his arrival.

I also presume the bowling commentators mentioning another Alien crashing a bowling tournament in 1974 (50 years ago) is supposed to reference Shadow (or something else) as well?

Anyway, I feel like I’ve come down a bit too negatively here. I think this show was fine - certainly filler material - but still good, and I enjoyed it overall. 

What I hope is that IF they get to do another one of these limited series in the future, that they are able balance the comedy/drama vibes better. The show also needed more meaningful stakes and something else in the mix to ensure the title hero gets a bit more spotlight.

Sonic 2 pretty much hit the sweet spot for me in tone and payoff (and episodes 1 and 2 of Knuckles were similarly great), so it’s certainly achievable by the creative team.

Edited by Sonicka
Incoherent posting. Don't write a review on your phone.
  • Thumbs Up 1

@Sonicka-- you probably want to spoiler tag that, at least the part about how the show ends, because while this IS a spoiler thread, the forum rules still apply to tagging spoilers for those who don't want to be spoiled.

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, Sonicka said:

Ok finished this thing. I’d say it’s a Solid 6 or 7/10 show.

I didn’t really feel like Knuckles wasn’t in this enough as some have pointed out (actually he was in it more than I expected TBH).

I could have sworn that I’d read these were 6 x 1 hour episodes as well - but for what this actually was (which was basically the goofier bits of the films x 30 mins x 6)… I’m glad it ended up being shorter. 

Not all of the absurd comedy “hit” and often this felt out of place because it was focused on providing cartoon humour in the real world over being a “quick gag” - so it sort of made this world just feel less real to me than it was portrayed in the movies. Additionally, I’m very surprised the short ET sequence got a pass - and I laughed at that but for the wrong reasons. 

However, I will say that the Wade & Knuckles combo worked surprisingly well and they gave me plenty of chuckles. The Rock Opera Knuckles backstory nonsense in episode 4 was also beautifully done - always a fan of stupid musical stuff like this - especially when you go in this hard creatively with reference material. I do fall into the camp of feeling like it was more focused on Wade’s bowling quest to impress/overcome his dad 60% of the time (and anything to do with Wade’s extended family was a slog to get through). It’s a shame there wasn’t more focus about Knuckles plight in finding his place on Earth, new family, learning where he came from, how he got his “power” & more insight into the Echidnas past etc etc… so that was a bummer. Having the Parachamac apparitions was cool (but again - they sort of portrayed him as a bit of a goof here).

Reveal hidden contents

Also, as a Brit I am a little tired of the overused “because they’re English = evil/twat” trope alongside the affected posh accent, which in reality reflects 1-2% of the British population. But I appreciated that they did reference Wade’s dad affecting it on purpose.

What I really liked was that Knuckles really impressed in the fight sequences or whenever he was involved for screen time, he’s great and I do enjoy Idris’s performance as him. I also hope he keeps the Cowboy hat now - I’d love to see this item get more mainstay for a bit longer in one Sonic Universe at least.

But the way the show ended was… strange and abrupt. Even the mid sequence cap-off didn’t feel like an ending (I was expecting a reunion with Sonic & Tails and Co to full circle his adventure & appreciation and what he learnt on the journey.)

Instead - it’s him and Wade riding off into the sunset (bad CGI here - did they run out of budget?) and Knuckles proclaims that Scandel’s “The Warrior” is his jam? I’m sorry, but no. Just because the lyrics are slightly adjacent with him being “a Warrior” and a few of their antics does not a character theme make. It’s a tonally mismatched 80’s tune for the opening credits already (as lovingly animated as it is) and doesn’t fit the ending IMO. This is more wades jam - maybe that’s the point? I dunno. But I think Knuckles usual musical riff’s from the Sonic adventure games needed to be more in play here. 

Other than that, I am impressed that they managed to keep the continuity straight considering GUN was only “established in name” after Sonic 1 in this universe, so I’m intrigued by this secret black ops agency thread which will likely continue in Sonic 3 since Shadow was hidden away (and not to mention SA2’s storyline will be heavily used - implying they’ve known about creatures like Sonic way before his arrival). I also presume the bowling commentators saying that another Alien that crashed a bowling tournament in 1974 (50 years ago) is supposed to reference Shadow (or something else) as well?

Anyway, I feel like I’ve come down a bit too negatively here. I think this show was fine - certainly filler - but still good and I enjoyed it. It was wise that they dropped this all in one go though.

I hope that if they get to do another one of these in the future that they balance the comedy / drama vibes better - have more meaningful stakes - ensure your title hero gets a bit more spotlight etc… etc…

Sonic 2 almost hit the sweet spot for me in tone (and episodes 1 and 2 of Knuckles were great), so it’s certainly possible.

I've made edits to this post in order to spoiler tag potential spoilers. Please keep spoiler rules in mind for future.

38 minutes ago, Lorekitten said:

@Sonicka-- you probably want to spoiler tag that, at least the part about how the show ends, because while this IS a spoiler thread, the forum rules still apply to tagging spoilers for those who don't want to be spoiled.

Please refrain from posts like this since it amounts to backseat modding. Please ensure to just use the report function in future to bring these matters to staff attention.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Please refrain from posts like this since it amounts to backseat modding. Please ensure to just use the report function in future to bring these matters to staff attention.

Okay, thanks for the heads-up.

Eek! Sorry! :S

Whenever a topic is titled "spoiler thread" that indicates to me that spoiler tags aren't necessary and everything is open - I didn't realise I still had to use them (goes to show I didn’t read the opening post / rules)

I'll bear it in mind for future! Thanks for the quick edit :)

Edited by Sonicka