Awoo.

A rivalry happens, hedgehog wise in this TailsTube episode

Shiny Gems

This should be interesting. Looks like Sonic and Shadow are going at each other here. What could go wrong?

What are your thoughts on this, everyone?

EDIT: YouTube version.

Edited by Shiny Gems
  • Nice Smile 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

Between a hedgehog and a hard place

• Thumbs Up 2

:chuckle:Sonic and Shadow were acting like brothers! I think that was really nice! I kinda wish they brought in Knuckles though...

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

This one seems to mainly exist to show Sonic and Shadow's philosophical differences can still have room for mutual respect, even if it feels like pulling teeth to get that out of Shadow's current characterization. I dunno, it felt like it more highlights the problem with their current direction for the character while trying to give fans what they actually want. It's weird.

Pretty much nothing lore wise this time, just reminders of Adventure era stuff mostly. Prime is there, so hopefully that can be another example of how the series is canon to the games, regardless of how much sense that actually makes.

Overall, pretty boring episode for me that really doesn't leave me satisfied given the quarterly release schedule, especially given the Christmas one also felt like that. I feel like they're not living up to their potential at the moment. Hopefully the next one has more actual meat to offer.

• Thumbs Up 3

Even though these are pitched way younger than us adult fans they normally give a little something to chew on either lore or "just nice to see the characters chatting and having downtime together"-wise, this one definitely did feel a little underwhelming, but I can see it was mainly to lay some groundwork for those who weren't there for Shadow's major releases, in the context of SxSG and Sonic 3 on the way.  Just a shame that, yeah, I agree, it sort of highlights how stifling the restrictions on Shadow's characerisation are.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nice to see Sonic Battle getting remembered. I'd take more nods to that anyday. The rest... na. Shadow is still not great and Sonic is just painful. He was close to his Prime version and thats not a great look.

• Absolutely 2

23 minutes ago, JezMM said:

it sort of highlights how stifling the restrictions on Shadow's characerisation are.

Yeah, that really makes me worried about this whole Year of Shadow, if they still haven't figured out his personality.

Here's a tiny hint: Shadow is capable of more emotions than "passively hostile" and "actively hostile". He's just subtle about expressing it.

• Chuckle 1
  • Absolutely 1

Well, wasn't Tailstube supposed to deal with lore news?!...

What was the interest of that new episode?!...

Second or third time I have been very disappointed by the show which was so promising when it was launched...

Edited by Vlad the Vampire
  • Absolutely 2

Shadow actually remembers the SA2 plot now? Even in Shadow The Hedgehog he didn't get his full memories restored, I think.

Also, Cosmo is still chilling out in the workshop.

1 hour ago, Vlad the Vampire said:

Well, wasn't Tailstube supposed to deal with lore news?!...

Did it ever do that?

Tailstube from the start was a recap series. More of an acknowledgment and clarification of how things are.

• Thumbs Up 2

At this point, I'm pretty sure Sega doesn't see any "problem" to begin with when it comes to Shadow.

This is just what he's like now. Just like how they changed Amy to what she is, this is what Shadow is now.

• Fist Bump 1

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

At this point, I'm pretty sure Sega doesn't see any "problem" to begin with when it comes to Shadow.

This is just what he's like now. Just like how they changed Amy to what she is, this is what Shadow is now.

I have to be honest, I think you are 100 percent right. I mean, Shadow has been what he has been for a while now. If Sega wanted to change him, they would have done it by now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I can’t help but wonder how much could simply come down to voice direction. We could see the shift in Sonic when Roger was given different direction for Frontiers, coupled with the writing. It feels like Kirk’s direction is mainly “say it  in an antagonistically dramatic and superior voice” (or in the way like the pure Hero path -> Dark end Shadow where he flips to help Doom just to beat Sonic). Especially since we know Kirk can do a softer, for lack of a better word, Shadow based on some of the Twitter Takeovers.

While not fully like Adventure Era Shadow, his appearances in the comics land closer, at least, and some of his lines work a bit better simply without the current voice direction, just whatever voice and tone the reader imagines.

Still, I found this Tails Tube amusing at least, seeing the two hedgehogs interact and Tails forcing them to say nice things about each other got a chuckle from me.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

8 hours ago, Kuzu said:

It's kinda funny how they went opposite directions though.

Amy had only 1 mode: lovesick about Sonic. She was chased by angry robot and loose focus, because "Cute couples go free". Or Riders games were everyone is thinking about Arks and genies and stuff and she just wants Sonic's attention. Whenever you miss that Amy or not, it's hard to argue she was... immature, to say it lightly. Now she's much more flexible.

Meanwhile Shadow was basically first Sonic character with layers. First person to ask stuff like "who am I? What is my purpose? Should I forgive those who hurt me?". You know, "brooding" technically means "showing DEEP thought". A 101 of deep thoughts, but still.
But as stories simplified and Shadow stopped hogging all the screen time, he needed to simplified. A lot. So from "grim figure with so much conflict, baggage and emotional turmoil going behind the mask, because he's ultimate life form dang it, he must appear stoic and perfect" he just went to "grim". Much easier to process.

And even that isn't fair. Early Amy was immature, but that was her arc. All her best moments are realizing other need her help and putting her selfish desires to a side.

• Thumbs Up 2

This just makes me worried about the new Shadow campaign in generations. Since 2010 this series to me, seems to have had a reboot and it made the characters completely different.

6 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

It's kinda funny how they went opposite directions though.

Amy had only 1 mode: lovesick about Sonic. She was chased by angry robot and loose focus, because "Cute couples go free". Or Riders games were everyone is thinking about Arks and genies and stuff and she just wants Sonic's attention. Whenever you miss that Amy or not, it's hard to argue she was... immature, to say it lightly. Now she's much more flexible.

Meanwhile Shadow was basically first Sonic character with layers. First person to ask stuff like "who am I? What is my purpose? Should I forgive those who hurt me?". You know, "brooding" technically means "showing DEEP thought". A 101 of deep thoughts, but still.
But as stories simplified and Shadow stopped hogging all the screen time, he needed to simplified. A lot. So from "grim figure with so much conflict, baggage and emotional turmoil going behind the mask, because he's ultimate life form dang it, he must appear stoic and perfect" he just went to "grim". Much easier to process.

And even that isn't fair. Early Amy was immature, but that was her arc. All her best moments are realizing other need her help and putting her selfish desires to a side.

Pretty much. It's all part of a concerted effort to homogenize the cast down to being static and therefore, marketable. That way new kids don't have to play games from over 20 years ago to know these characters.

It's good for the long term health of the series, but I know it drives older fans up the wall who used to be invested in these stories and the progress they made.

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

It's good for the long term health of the series,

I think there are several ways they could have gone without pissing off the older fans.

Like, why not make him Batman? That's like the best known stereotype in the world.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly liked how Shadow was being portrayed in Sonic Prime.  Say what you will about Sonic Prime, but one of the most praised parts of the series was Shadow's characterization as being this grumpy guy who still wants to help out Sonic.  I just wish that SEGA just let Shadow have more emotions than just the angry guy who just wants to fight stronger opponents.

• Thumbs Up 1