Awoo.

What is/are your favorite thing(s) about Knuckles the Echidna?

Shiny Gems

It could be anything, from anywhere. It could be the IDW or Archie Comics, the new show, the games, the OVA, the TV shows, anything really. Time to celebrate our favorite echidna since, as of this week and this time, it is Knuckles week! You can even talk about things you like about him or his personality, abilities, etc.

So, what do you like about Knuckles?

I like that he is strong, mentally and physically. His strength makes him cool, but I do think they could tap more into the potential of his strength gameplay wise in Sonic games. Still, I do like how Knuckles is very strong.

That said, I also like the music about him, especially his theme song in the third update's adventure mode of Sonic Frontiers and his level themes in Sonic Adventure 2, and his theme songs overall. Here is a video showing some of one of the more well known tracks from one of his levels in Sonic Adventure 2.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Well, Starting from his debut game, I loved how devoted he is to not only the master Emerald, but the Island its on. He Protects with his Whole Heart and Soul he is willing to break it, twice. I like how he has a deep connection to the Master Emerald, as if the Emerald was its Parent. I also like that he is a Hunter and A leader as well, able to (Mostly) lead Team Sonic in Forces, and Team Chaotix. I REALLY wish that was mentioned More, because when Mighty and Knuckles Meet, they meet as if it never happened in Mania, and in Heros, the first time we see The Chaotix Trio together, they don't even Interact with him. Also I like his music, better that Swift.

Edited by Cyb3rkn1ght
  • Thumbs Up 4

I honestly adore his recent characterization in the games. It feels like for a while after SA2, his role as a guardian became secondary to his role as a Cool Friend Of Sonic. Lately, with the pre-Frontiers animation, representation of Angel Island, and even the movies, it seems like they're rediscovering new ways to make his character interesting. Hell, even in IDW he's not always included just for the sake of itself. Sometimes he's just doing his job! Let the man be!!!

• Thumbs Up 2

Knuckles is an amazing combo of silly and serious. He can be really gruff while making the silliest expressions ever! I love that a lot! He's also really powerful!

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought it was cool in SA how they used the Mayan/Aztec culture to give him more of a fleshed out background.

Also, apparently his chest has a moon shape on it in contrast to Sonic's "sun-shaped" belly. :D

He's the original tough guy, but with a deep sense of purpose. And it's kind of quirky that he's so easily tricked. But that happens to pure hearts...they get bamboozled easily.

He's an awesome character.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 3

He's okay, I guess. :b

I like the mythos of the floating island, and the history of the echinas. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Love everything about him, not really sure how to put it into better words. The island, the master emerald and the fact that unlike sonic he don't chuckle.

Certainly helps that I grew up playing sonic 3 & knuckles. I never beat that game growing up but I certainly remember knuckles in the opening confusing little me, used to call him red sonic since I didn't speak english yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's a lot of good stuff I can say about Knuckles, but one thing that has always and will always stick out to me is the Sun and Moon symbolism between him and Sonic. Knuckles' crescent shaped mark is meant to symbolize the moon, whereas Sonic's round underbelly is meant to symbolize the sun. There's just so much between him and Sonic that the current franchise chooses to ignore and it just. Ugh. Not only does the Sun and Moon symbolism drive me insane (in a good way), but one thing I've seen not a lot of people bring up is the fact that the ancient Echidnas worshipped Sonic? Or at least, a creature resembling Sonic. If you look closely, there are statues of him built all over Hydrocity Zone in the background, and there's the obvious mural in Hidden Palace Zone. Knuckles and Sonic were literally destined to meet, Fate had tied them together before their time, and that's why I find the fact that he got tricked by Robotnik so funny. Like, his ancestors almost couldn't have more clearly said "KNUCKLES DO NOT KILL THIS ONE HE'S REALLY IMPORTANT", and Knuckles STILL tried to kick his ass in front of the mural that literally depicted Sonic as the savior of Angel Island. (On a side note, can you tell I like Sonknux? lol)

Also, putting aside all of the crazy symbolism (and the fact that his relationship with Sonic sticks out as one of the franchise's most unique), I also really like Knuckles in his own right. He's a strong character who is only strong because he's never been given the chance to be weak. Since his first breath he was fighting a battle to survive in a world he was all alone in. It's so sad, but it's so investing, and I honestly am in complete agreement with the people who were mad he got shafted so hard in the 2010s era. Though you might say I have a bit of a bias (considering ALL my favorite interpretations of the characters are the Adventure Era versions), specifically Adventure 2 and/or Heroes Knuckles stands out as my favorite, and I can't really say why. I think my problem with SA1 Knuckles was that his story was a literal circle. In the end nothing was taken away or learned, he just...went back to the conclusion he was alone forever. SA2/Heroes Knuckles is just cool, but Movie Knuckles came in swinging and almost took that trophy.

• Fist Bump 5

7 minutes ago, cosmichaos said:

It's so sad, but it's so investing, and I honestly am in complete agreement with the people who were mad he got shafted so hard in the 2010s era.

Honestly, I find it SO hilarious that They built up ALL that Character and then was like: "Yeah let's put them on hoverboards for the cool kids" and it just went downhill from there :chuckle:

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

51 minutes ago, cosmichaos said:

Movie Knuckles came in swinging and almost took that trophy.

Movie Knuckles is the best. He's an echidna warrior with the intent to protect the remains of his tribe, and is also really silly and adorable while doing so! When I look at Knuckles in games and other series, I try to see if they can come close to the movie Knuckles characterization! I now have high hopes for Shadow's characterization in the third movie!

• Fist Bump 1

4 minutes ago, Maple Syrup said:

I now have high hopes for Shadow's characterization in the third movie!

...I wouldn't have Too High Hopes, but lets just mildly wish...

• Thumbs Up 2