Awoo.

What Was Your First Exposure To/First Experience With Video Games?

The DOMinator

As per the title, this was something I was kind of curious about, as this website/these forums are filled with a diverse number of users who have grown up in different eras, have lived under different circumstances (ex: economics, differing regions), etc. Originally, I was just planning to ask "What was your first video game console(s)?" Then it became "What was your first video game console(s)/the first one you played?" Then I thought about how some may have had their first exposure to video games through PCs or even mobile devices. And of course, I realized how regarding any of the aforementioned topics, there was bound to be a game, or multiple that you played on the platform(s). So, I decided to broaden the scope of the topic to just "What Was Your First Exposure to Video Games?" Things to discuss regarding the topic (but don't necessarily need to follow exactly) can include:Β 

• What was the first videoΒ game console(s)/platform that you ever played on? What was the game(or games) you played?
  • What was your first video game console(s)/platform (that is, one that you owned yourself; could have been a gift or something you purchased with your own money)?
  • Any reasoning for that specific console(s) and game(s) (what were the circumstances; ex: ones listed above like economics; perhaps you had a friend who owned the console(s) and game(s) and wanted it for yourself; maybe you seen an ad and were instantly sold on it)?
  • Any memories you have of said console(s) and game(s) (you can go a bit beyondΒ your first experience, so long as you don't start just listing everything you've ever owned/played, to keep it on topic).

As far as I go, my dad owned a lot of consoles and games from practically every era, that is up until the seventh-generation (he blew off the Wii, thought the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 were kind of neat). He had been born in 1969, so he had exposure to pretty much everything starting from the rise of video games (arcade machines, the Atari 2600). But that's the thing though, with the key word being "owned." Fast forward to 2007-ish, and my mom just found out she was pregnant with me. Being in Florida at the time, and right as the Great Recession was starting to take effect (my dad had just been let go from his job at a construction company), they decided to relocate to their home state of New Jersey. Fast forwarding a bit to sometime after I was born, my dad had to sell off a lot of his collection to fund my formula (although according to him, before the selling of it, he had let me mess around with some his things, like the Nintendo 64 and NES). In the end, after the culling of his gaming library, it left a Sega Genesis (specifically a Model 2) console, along with a Sega CD unit (Model 1; the Model 2 had died out sometime before hand), a PlayStation 2, an Xbox, a GameCube, and a Game Boy Advance. These are the consoles I would have access to up until around 2019, where my dad started to acquire a lot of the consoles and games he previously owned. With that settled, reverting back to the topic at hand with my experiences with each console:

• The Sega Genesis - I only really remember playing the Sonic games he owned/owns (that's not to say I didn't play thee others), which were/are Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic Spinball, and Sonic 3D Blast. I remember getting a good enough grasp on the games where I made it to Spring Yard Zone, Hill Top Zone, Sandopolis Zone, Lava Powerhouse Zone (maybe), and Rusty Ruins Zone respectively. I also remember messing around with debug mode and level selects in the games that had them.
  • Sega CD - Unfortunately nothing, because as far as my memory goes back, it too stopped working as well (IΒ thinkΒ the driveΒ belt finally wore out, but I think there may have been more to it as well).
  • PS2 - Probably the console that got the most play out of me, as my dad and I would always play the arcade compilations he had on the console.Β  The ones I remember playing the most are Namco Museum (2001), Midway Arcade Treasures 2, and Capcom Classics Collection 2. In regards to the games on the aforementioned collections themselves, I remember playing Pac-Man Arrangement (beat it with him several times), Rampage World Tour (ditto for this title), and a neat little obscure puzzle game called Don't Pull! the most respectively. There was also this demo disc with a demo of Star Wars Battlefront 1 on it, which we played to death, as well as a demo for Asterix and Obelix Kick Buttix (or XXL, depending on the region), which I always played to try and see if I could pass the limited play area before the time ran out.
  • GameCube - For this console, I remember playing Freekstyle and SSX 3 the most (or at least as my memory permits), always racing against my dad, sometimes winning, but more soΒ losing. What didn't help was that for the longest time, I didn't know how to pull off tricks in either game, which grant you boost. On a higher note though, I have a good memory of a game called Freaky Flyers, where I managed to be at my dad in a duel for the first time.
  • Xbox - Halo 1 and 2, as well as State of Emergency, got a lot of multiplayer use out of them. With the former two, the level, Blood Gulch, wasour most commonly played map to battle out in.
  • Game Boy Advance - Don't really remember seriously playing most of the games available, except Wario Land 4. I played it on a couple car trips, on the GameCube itself through the GBA Player, etc, and never made any real progress whatsoever. Apparently, according to my dad, at one point I deleted his complete save file (whoops!), but have no memory of it.

I could keep going on and on about what I played. I haven't even touched upon my first actual game console! But due to limited time (I'm typing this out on my lunch period), this is where I'll have to depart for now. Maybe I'll add more later, but until then, add your own past experiences! Feel free to write as much as you want, as admittedly, I think I went a little overkill with my post. Bring on the nostalgia!

Edited by The DOMinator
I'm picky, so I changed the title again.

Oh ok! My family got an Apple TV once. One day when I was 10, my parents downloaded tennis, Minion rush, Asphalt, and Sonic 1 on the TV. We would play games together a lot. We had a blast when we played! We would invite friends and see how far we would get in Minion Rush, or who gets the most wins on Asphalt. Sonic 1 never worked though. We would enjoy playing a lot and so my parents decided to buy me a switch for Christmas. We didn't buy games on it so it resulted in never being touched. We returned it and went on with our lives. Once I got more interest on video games, which was after I got introduced to Sonic, they bought me a Nintendo Switch OLED! Along with Just Dance and Sonic Superstars. I plan on buying some retro consoles and games when I grow older.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Mine was back in the 90s when I was a little kid. We rented a SNES game for me to play a SNES game featuring Mickey Mouse from Blockbuster. I was not too good at it. I only made it to the game's first boss. After that, my parents got me a Sega Genesis for Christmas with Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and I loved it! It took me many tries to beat the game, though.

Edited by Shiny Gems
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

oh, I go WAAAAAY back

Out of the BOX WII! now, I know what your thinking: how? you were born the year it came out. well, once I understood how it worked, I played all sorts of LEGO, Mario and random 3rd party games! it was paradise... wish I still had it, but it was traded for the switch, so I'm not entirely mad.

• Fist Bump 1

As a child we had an NES that we would occasionally bring out. The first video game I ever played was Duck Hunt, but Super Mario Bros. was the first game I really got into.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think my first exposure to video games was my father letting me play on his old Commodore Amiga - He had games like Snake and Space invaders, Gods, Dinosaur Detective agency and Chaos Engine. I have fond memories of playing, I think I liked Snake and Space invaders the best, honestly.

Β 

• Way Past Cool 1

Well, if we're talking about being exposed to video game franchises in general, my first exposure would be seeing Sonic X on 4Kids or Pokemon on Cartoon Network. But if we're talking about actual games, then it would be the Nintendo DS Lite. It wasn't something I particularly requested, but one day my aunt showed up out of the blue and handed me the thing. I had no idea what it was all about but she and my father walked me through the basics of using it. She then gave me two games, Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis, and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team. I decided to try out MvD2 and the rest was history.

• Thumbs Up 1

First exposure to gaming would have been very early 90’s - always playing something around a mates house.Β 

Sonic 1 on the Master System is why I’m here today, vividly remember struggling to get past the waterfall level on Jungle Zone - such a challenge as a kid to do that epic vertical climb. There was some sort of Aliens game as well, lots of flame throwthrowers and fire in the sewers IIRC.Β 

Rainbow Islands was another favourite of mine on the Amiga.Β But I remember playing Mario Bros 3 with a pal on his NES - he even had ROB which never got played with properly for anything specific.

Next thing I knew I was specifically asking for a β€œSonic computer” (Mega Drive). Instead, for Christmas my parents bought a PC (MS DOS) with edutainment games like Mario is Missing. Talk about a complete misfire 🀣

Eventually the first console I owned was a Mega Drive Mark II with the Mega 6 game pack (Sonic 1, Superstar Soccer, Monaco GP, Columns, Streets of Rage, Revenge of Shinobi - real good times!).Β 

Got the other Sonic’s eventually, 2, Knuckles, 3D… As well as other action platformers like Dynamite Headdy, or Mickey Mania and Lion King… very nostalgic.

The idea from here was that I would get a Sega Saturn since I loved playing on my friends, he had Sonic R, Hyrdo Thunder and the Sonic Jam collection. I was specifically taken with the archive of Japanese Sonic movie trailers / adverts & concept art which really blew my mind back then.Β 

However (luckily) I went PlayStation and started a new chapter of platforming with the Bandicoot and Dragon, and discovered Square’s Final Fantasy series.

Whilst I stuck with Nintendo for the portables, aΒ friend would lend his N64 and Dreamcast to me in later years which put me back in touch with Sonic in 3D for the adventure games (again, blew my mind back then).Β 

From then onwards I went Nintendo with the GameCube and onwards and didn’t look back.

Only when on their last legs did I buy the cheaper PS2/3, Xbox360 etc… for any missing exclusives. And this has been how I’ve rolled since.Β 

Β 

Edited by Sonicka
  • Chuckle 1

Alright, homework break time! Let's check what we have so far...Β 

3 hours ago, Maple Syrup said:

We would invite friends and see how far we would get in Minion Rush

You know, I remember playing a bit of Minion Rush on my first tablet not long after it came out. Completely forgot about the game until you mentioned it!

3 hours ago, Maple Syrup said:

they bought me a Nintendo Switch OLED! Along with Just Dance and Sonic Superstars. I plan on buying some retro consoles and games when I grow older.

Definitely a nice starter set of games to get for your Switch, and I for one up vote that (retro consoles and games) decision! You'll find a lot of cool things that you don't find on current platforms. Completely different worlds, they are!

3 hours ago, Shiny Gems said:

We rented a SNES game for me to play a SNES game featuring Mickey Mouse from Blockbuster. I was not too good at it. I only made it to the game's first boss.

Hmm... Mickey Mania I suppose? That game is pretty hard, if that's what you're referring to.

3 hours ago, Shiny Gems said:

After that, my parents got me a Sega Genesis for Christmas with Sonic the Hedgehog 2, and I loved it! It took me many tries to beat the game, though.

My first ever time "beating the game" when I was younger (if I recall correctly) was actually just me skipping to the Death Egg, andΒ maybeΒ beating it legitimately. It wouldn't be until some years later when I received Sonic Mega Collection Plus on the PS2 that I beat the game 100% (Chaos Emeralds) start to finish, and even then, it was with the help of save files...

3 hours ago, Cyb3rkn1ght said:

know what your thinking: how? you were born the year it came out. well, once I understood how it worked, I played all sorts of LEGO, Mario and random 3rd party games!

The same thing essentially goes for me when it came to playing video games. Incredibly young, yet once I hadΒ someΒ understanding of what I was doing, I was hooked for life!

Β 

3 hours ago, Cyb3rkn1ght said:

wish I still had it, but it was traded for the switch, so I'm not entirely mad.

No, that's a worthy upgrade, although, there are still experiences you can only get on the Wii.

2 hours ago, MGA_Gamer said:

The first video game I ever played was Duck Hunt

Silly question: did you happen to have a grey or orange light gun? I currently have an orange one.

1 hour ago, Starry Skydancer said:

I think my first exposure to video games was my father letting me play on his old Commodore Amiga

Now that... is a little bit out of my expertise, as I only really have experience and knowledge of the Commodore 64, but that's still pretty cool.

1 hour ago, Starry Skydancer said:

I think I liked Snake and Space invaders the best, honestly.

Those are two pretty addictive games right there, but that's arcade styled games of the era for ya. I can kind of relate, as another thing my dad kept (still has/have) was a Space Invaders plug and play console that I haven't seen anywhere else on the internet. Comes with several almost arcade accurate ports of Taito arcade games, including Phoenix and Qix. When we got a Space Invaders Arcade1up machine a few years back, I found myself competing with my dad and sister over the high score, and eventually came on top, and still currently own the high score.

44 minutes ago, Bortificatin said:

Well, if we're talking about being exposed to video game franchises in general, my first exposure would be seeing Sonic X on 4Kids or Pokemon on Cartoon Network.

I honestly didn't think about that. Exposure to video game franchises outside of video games. On a similar note, I often found myself watching Sonic X reruns on the CW during weekends whenever they came on.

45 minutes ago, Bortificatin said:

Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis, and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team. I decided to try out MvD2 and the rest was history.

As I sort of touched upon earlier, what I didn't get to say was how my first video game console that wasΒ mineΒ was a New Nintendo 3DS XL with Super Mario Maker. I got them for a Christmas one year from a close family friend. One of my first additions to the console, which came a few months later, after my birthday, was MvD: Mini-land Mayhem!, for which I took a liking to, and completed it up until Plus Mode. I'm glad to see the series' return recently on the Switch.

39 minutes ago, Sonicka said:

Sonic 1 on the Master System is why I’m here today, vividly remember struggling to get past the waterfall level on Jungle Zone - such a challenge as a kid to do that epic vertical climb.

Yeah, that's pretty annoying.

Β 

39 minutes ago, Sonicka said:

he even had ROB which never got played with properly for anything specific.

Never had much of a use anyways. It's definitely a cool piece to look at though.

Β 

40 minutes ago, Sonicka said:

Next thing I knew I was specifically asking for a β€œSonic computer” (Mega Drive). Instead, for Christmas my parents bought a PC (MS DOS) with edutainment games like Mario is Missing. Talk about a complete misfire 🀣

Man, I never thought I'd hear of the classic "parents mistaking video game for something completely different" in reality! The game being Mario is Missing and similar titles is definitely the kicker though!

Β 

42 minutes ago, Sonicka said:

Dynamite Headdy, or Mickey Mania

Two very good games right there.

Β 

42 minutes ago, Sonicka said:

The idea from here was that I would get a Sega Saturn since I loved playing on my friends, he had Sonic R, Hyrdo Thunder and the Sonic Jam collection. I was specifically taken with the archive of Japanese Sonic movie trailers / adverts & concept art which really blew my mind back then.Β 

Hydro Thunder was on the Saturn? And yeah, the Sonic Jam archive was/is certainly a cool addition to wrap around the all ready packed compilation + 3D world. It's nice to see whenever compilations go the extra mile in terms of content.

Β 

44 minutes ago, Sonicka said:

Whilst I stuck with Nintendo for the portables, aΒ friend would lend his N64 and Dreamcast to me in later years which put me back in touch with Sonic in 3D for the adventure games (again, blew my mind back then).Β 

Definitely (I know I keep saying this) mind blowing for the time, and still fun now. And that's why we need them remakes people keep demanding for!

Β 

Β 

What a lot of cool stories! Keep them coming!

• Fist Bump 4

24 minutes ago, The DOMinator said:

As I sort of touched upon earlier, what I didn't get to say was how my first video game console that wasΒ mineΒ was a New Nintendo 3DS XL with Super Mario Maker. I got them for a Christmas one year from a close family friend. One of my first additions to the console, which came a few months later, after my birthday, was MvD: Mini-land Mayhem!, for which I took a liking to, and completed it up until Plus Mode. I'm glad to see the series' return recently on the Switch.

I used to have a 2Ds. it wore out because of misproper use of the charging port, and everytime I went to charge it, I had to tilt the head of the charger so it charged.Β  I had lots of games on there; Animal Crossing, Pokemon ultra moon (Curse you, Aiden, yeah I'm still mad you made me run away from PRIMAL KYOGRE!!!), and my first Mario game, and still heavily underrated; 3D Land. then, after having a half-broke 2Ds, my mom went to Facebook market and bought me a 3DS XL! it was not wiped, so it came pre-installed with bangers I WISHED is still had: Ocerina of time, and Majoras Mask. I feel like CRYING I missed out on it, because when I took it to my Nana's house, and letting my Cousins Play it, with a Sonic Background, blue, and having Mario Maker, One Mini Mario game (I have no idea, but the game over theme haunts me) and Mario party DS???

They broke it. they broke the bottom screen. sure, it was touchable, and the top screen was fine, but that was the POINT of the 3DS!! nothibng showed up on the bottom screen. it was blacked-out, and all you could see, was the sad expression on my face. my Kirby, my Mario, Pokemon, my one sonic game (Colors DS). Gone. Reduced to mere atoms.

• Absolutely 1

38 minutes ago, The DOMinator said:

You know, I remember playing a bit of Minion Rush on my first tablet not long after it came out. Completely forgot about the game until you mentioned it!

Minion rush was a key part of my childhood:chuckle:!Β 

• Chuckle 1

I also just remembered being given that V-Smile edutainment system as a kid, but I can't quite recall if it was before or after getting the NDS Lite. Do they still make those kinds of dedicated edutainment consoles these days, or is stuff like that relegated to mobile apps now?

• Confused 1

Thought there'd be a lot more younger posters in this topic than there have been. Good, I don't have to feelΒ tooΒ ancient.

My first exposure to games was watching my cousins play Sonic 1 on their Sega Genesis when I was, like, 4. Immediately fell in love and had to have a Genesis and Sonic game of my very own. The rest is history.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

The Wii. I vividly remember my first game being Mario Kart Wii. That console blew my mind back in the day - I remember getting extremely excited when I played Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga and saw the Lego characters moving around and talking on their own for the first time.

• Chuckle 1

@The DOMinatorIt was the orange one. I didn't even know the Zapper came in grey too!

Edited by MGA_Gamer
  • Way Past Cool 1

11 hours ago, The DOMinator said:

Man, I never thought I'd hear of the classic "parents mistaking video game for something completely different" in reality! The game being Mario is Missing and similar titles is definitely the kicker though!

Β 

Hydro Thunder was on the Saturn?

I think it was one of those β€œwe want to be be good parents and get him what we think is best for his education”. Booting up Windows from a DOS screen with just Minefield and Solitare (and a host of school edutainments games…). Mario is Missing was by far one of the weirdest titles 🀣 

At the very least for my birthday I obtained the Megadrive. Got there eventually.Β 

Also had to double check that Hydro Thunder one - you’re quite right, it wasn’t on Saturn and I’m misremembering it. It was a similar hovercar game I played called β€œCyber Speedway”. I think because there were lots of water sections my brain jumbled it up.Β 

I did love the Hydro Thunder games on later platforms though πŸ™‚

• Thumbs Up 1

NES, Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt. I took turns playing with my sister.Β 

My favorite console is the Super Nintendo, with Yoshi's Island, DKC 2 and 3, the Megaman X trilogy.Β 

Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ah, a new day! Before I get flooded with school work, let's check on how this topic is going...

11 hours ago, Shiny Gems said:

@The DOMinatorYes, it was Mickey Mania, actually.

Figured as much. I own both the Sega CD and PS1 versions of the game, and I can confidently say that game is, at the very least, one of the most challenging I've played yet, and it's a Mickey Mouse game at that! It's definitely a quality title though (then again, Traveller's Tales' games usually have effort put into them, and it shows). It reminds me a lot of Castle of Illusion in some ways.

11 hours ago, Cyb3rkn1ght said:

I used to have a 2Ds. it wore out because of misproper use of the charging port, and everytime I went to charge it, I had to tilt the head of the charger so it charged.

I've had that problem with phones before. Funnily enough, I had the opposite problem with my 3DS once, as it was theΒ charger itselfΒ that had gotten worn out, although it ended up getting replaced anyways, but still.

Β 

11 hours ago, Cyb3rkn1ght said:

Animal Crossing, Pokemon ultra moon (Curse you, Aiden, yeah I'm still mad you made me run away from PRIMAL KYOGRE!!!), and my first Mario game, and still heavily underrated; 3D Land.

I had gotten Animal Crossing: New Leaf on account of my little sister buying the game at some point (after gaining interest in the series through watching people on YouTube play New Horizons), and me just being curious about the series in general. What came of this was me checking in on the game everyday to complete daily tasks, among other things. This then led to my dad getting both of us Wild World, which also got the same treatment from both of us. And yeah, 3D Land is underrated. 3D World is the one that seems to get all the attention.Β  I liked it enough where I ended up 100% completing the game.

11 hours ago, Maple Syrup said:

Minion rush was a key part of my childhood:chuckle:!Β 

Frankly, I remember a lot of mobile games taking up a small portion of my childhood, through my tablet (although it never ended up completely taking over my interest in regular video games). Any free Angry Birds and Sonic games I could get my hands on filled the thing up, as well as a couple other oddballs I messed with, like Minions Paradise, and the Talking Tom apps (and to think,Β they weren't even really games, although I guess that's why they quickly lost my interest). Oh yeah, can't forget Roblox either!

10 hours ago, Bortificatin said:

I also just remembered being given that V-Smile edutainment system as a kid, but I can't quite recall if it was before or after getting the NDS Lite. Do they still make those kinds of dedicated edutainment consoles these days, or is stuff like that relegated to mobile apps now?

I know of the V-Smile, having seen it in an add in one of my Bob the Builder DVDs, and was always curious about it. In regards to dedicated edutainment consoles though, frankly, I can't even recall the last time I heard from LeapFrog or VTech, let alone dedicated consoles. Then again, it's not like they're things I've looked into anytime recently, and can probably find through a simple Google search. But yeah, I think the era of edutainment systems has since been replaced with mobile apps. Whether that's a good thing or a bad thing... (looks at the current state of "little kids" mobile apps), no, that's most certainly a bad thing, with what garbage currently floods the mobile marketplace.

10 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Thought there'd be a lot more younger posters in this topic than there have been. Good, I don't have to feelΒ tooΒ ancient.

I was kind of hoping for the same thing, as like I stated in the initial post, my goal was to get responses from posters of all ages. That, and the fact that despite being young, I'm more ancient in the regard of having not experienced "modern consoles" until much later.Β πŸ˜…Β 

8 hours ago, Xandur said:

The Wii. I vividly remember my first game being Mario Kart Wii. That console blew my mind back in the day

Another Wii post. Man, I've always been curious about the Wii. Never owned one, and still don't, but I played it at a cousin's house once when I was much younger.

8 hours ago, Xandur said:

I remember getting extremely excited when I played Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga and saw the Lego characters moving around and talking on their own for the first time.

:chuckle:Β 

6 hours ago, MGA_Gamer said:

@The DOMinatorIt was the orange one. I didn't even know the Zapper came in grey too!

Yeah, from what I recall, after initially releasing it in grey, they swapped colors because of the whole "guns aren't appropriate/toy ones can't look remotely realistic" thing. So, instead of doing the classic "color the tip orange," they just painted the whole thing the color. I honestly don't know how'd you mistake a laser gun for the real thing, but so were the times...

Β 

35 minutes ago, Sonicka said:

Mario is Missing was by far one of the weirdest titles 🀣 

Weird indeed. I remember playing either the NES or SNES versions of the game through emulation on my tablet when I was younger. I promptly gave up on it.

37 minutes ago, Sonicka said:

It was a similar hovercar game I played called β€œCyber Speedway”. I think because there were lots of water sections my brain jumbled it up.Β 

I have that! I can see how'd the games would be mistaken for each other. Still, a fun game nonetheless!

38 minutes ago, Sonicka said:

I did love the Hydro Thunder games on later platforms though πŸ™‚

I can't exactly comment on the game (my dad played it, so it's secondhand info + the internet), though I have played/own another game in the same series: 4 Wheel Thunder, and that is certainly a fun multiplayer game. I've been thinking about getting its (Hydro Thunder) sequel for the Xbox 360 on my Xbox One for a while now.

Β 

11 minutes ago, Cuz said:

NES, Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt. I took turns playing with my sister.Β 

My favorite console is the Super Nintendo, with Yoshi's Island, DKC 2 and 3, the Megaman X trilogy.Β 

Β 

All solid titles right there. The only one you mentioned I don't own and haven't played as of now is DKC 3; swap it out for the first game though, and your golden!

Β 

Once again, interesting responses people! Keep it up!

The first game console I remember playing the most games on was my mom's Wii and my father's PlayStation (I don't remember which model, but I'll just say PS1, Lolz). The first game I ever played was a Disney princess game called "Disney Princess: Enchanted Journey" that I played with my sister a lot. I don't remember playing it much, but it was a lot of fun. Even though I don't remember the content itself.Β 

(The game looks so old to me now, I still have the case).Β 

(We also had some carnival games, but they never worked because the disc was all scratched up, Lol).Β 

I vaguely remember playing a 3D Frogger game on the PlayStation and being so glued to the screen that my mom would always make me get off. I was so hooked on finishing it, but I don't think I ever did. Looking at the game now, it looks so old! It makes me wonder if my father ever had some Sonic games at the time, but I never really spent time with him.

Then we moved, and the game that changed my life appeared! My mom had bought the Wii U, and I was honestly too young to tell the difference, but my mom had gotten the Super Mario 3D World Deluxe set that came with Nintendo Land. As a kid, I didn't know how it worked; it was weird, but I mainly remember watching YouTube on the Wii. As I got older, I started to dabble here and there as my mom got more and more games. I tried it out and LOVED IT! I still love 3D World now too. It's not my favorite, but I can tell you it was a key memory of mine. And yes, I was from a Nintendo household. I didn't even know that Sonic was a game character. The only thing I had seen of him was the shows (Sonic X, The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, and that other Sonic TV show with Sally in it, Lolz).

My first Sonic game was Sonic Colors! My mom had bought it at random I think it was because my mom got a great deal on it I don't remember but I was coming from school and saw a new game I played it instantly. Seeing Sonic in a different form than what I'm used to was weird cuz ngl I thought it was a rip-off or sum but it was so COOL! I fell in love with the game. even tho little did I know I was gonna lose the game. (My cousin never returned it). it was a really nice experience.Β 

I then got a Nintendo DS XL and others leading up to the Switch that I got now and I actually haven't gotten a new console recently I've been too busy with games but that's something else.

(Funny how I can write this much with my gaming experiences and probably more but I refuse to write my paper for English class Ughhhh.) 😞

• Chuckle 1

1 hour ago, The DOMinator said:

Β 

All solid titles right there. The only one you mentioned I don't own and haven't played as of now is DKC 3; swap it out for the first game though, and your golden!

Never could find the orignal Donkey Kong Country until later in life. But I grew up on DKC2 and 3. DK64 is the first game I remember being excited about releasing.

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Cyb3rkn1ght said:

They broke it. they broke the bottom screen. sure, it was touchable, and the top screen was fine, but that was the POINT of the 3DS!! nothibng showed up on the bottom screen. it was blacked-out, and all you could see, was the sad expression on my face. my Kirby, my Mario, Pokemon, my one sonic game (Colors DS). Gone. Reduced to mere atoms.

Forgot to address this in my previous response (reading as quickly as I can, since I'm in school). Not the exact same situation, just last year, at the end of the school year, after wiping down my 3DS with some Windex, it, uh, shorted out? After doing a bit of research, it seems like there's an issue going on with the ribbon cables on the inside. As of now, all it does is begin to turn on, and then turns off, while making a pop sound. Although it's probably fixable, I'm essentially the demise of my own 3DS, and, in regards to what happened with you, I can't tell if it's worse if you're the cause of your own demise, or if it's someone else's. On a different note, Sonic Colors DS was one of my first additions to my DS/3DS game collection. I 100% it shortly after. Really fun game!

12 minutes ago, SpeedyChilidogs said:

I vaguely remember playing a 3D Frogger game on the PlayStation and being so glued to the screen that my mom would always make me get off. I was so hooked on finishing it, but I don't think I ever did. Looking at the game now, it looks so old!

Would it happen to be either one of these?:Β s-l1600.thumb.jpg.944b806c177d3617dd21532d69264012.jpg

Regardless, I've heard of good word on both titles. I own a Game Boy Color port of the one to the right; as to be expected with those kinds of ports at the time, it's essentially a different game, being a bit more like a fusion between it and Arcade Frogger. And yeah, old 3D games have a habit of aging poorly in terms of graphics.

17 minutes ago, SpeedyChilidogs said:

My mom had bought the Wii U, and I was honestly too young to tell the difference, but my mom had gotten the Super Mario 3D World Deluxe set that came with Nintendo Land

NowΒ that'sΒ an awesome gift to receive. Two of the Wii U's best right there.

Β 

19 minutes ago, SpeedyChilidogs said:

Seeing Sonic in a different form than what I'm used to was weird cuz ngl I thought it was a rip-off or sum but it was so COOL!

I can definitely see the whiplash you could get from going from the cartoons (which are all unique and different from each other on their own) to the actual games.

Β 

20 minutes ago, SpeedyChilidogs said:

(My cousin never returned it)

Man, that must've sucked. It sucks in general when a family member or friend borrows something and never returns it. I've heard a lot of similar stories from my dad. Funny, another incident with a cousin that ended negatively.

23 minutes ago, SpeedyChilidogs said:

(Funny how I can write this much with my gaming experiences and probably more but I refuse to write my paper for English class Ughhhh.) 😞

...as I respond to your comment in my English class...

11 minutes ago, Cuz said:

Never could find the orignal Donkey Kong Country until later in life. But I grew up on DKC2 and 3. DK64 is the first game I remember being excited about releasing.

Another game I own! Looks pretty good, regarding it's a later year N64 release, and the game itself is solid all around. And, you can't forget the DK Rap. It's a shame the other Kongs don't get much love these days...

• Thumbs Up 2

37 minutes ago, SpeedyChilidogs said:

My first Sonic game was Sonic Colors!

Ayyy, mine was the DS version! but...

Β 

15 minutes ago, The DOMinator said:

I 100% it shortly after. Really fun game!

i never got passed The cake mountain boss-thing. (Sweet mountain, my bad.)

• Thumbs Up 2

• The title was changed to What Was Your First Exposure With Video Games?

Would it happen to be either one of these?:

BRO, I WAS THE FIRST ONE, I REMEMBER WHINING (Yes I was a Spoiled kid) BUT I WANTED TO PLAY THE GAME SO BAD, And my dad had left, so my mom didn't have the game anymore lol. I wonder if he still has it! I'm watching a speedrun video of the game rn AND THE GAME LOOK SO....Bad.Β  Gosh, the graphics of games now in comparison to then. It's too cool to think about the improvement. They should make another game of 3d Frogger I loved it.Β 

NowΒ that'sΒ an awesome gift to receive. Two of the Wii U's best right there.

Β 

Lol I know right, Still got both of them too! Super Mario 3d World is 100% Completed! all the stamps and everything lol, It gives me nostalgia turning on my Wii U and seeing all the old stuff I had on there lol, the Same thing for the Wii at this point they kinda sit in my room like trophies. (I barely use them now.)Β 

I can definitely see the whiplash you could get from going from the cartoons (which are all unique and different from each other on their own) to the actual games.

OH YEA YOU WOULD IMAGINE πŸ˜†

Man, that must've sucked. It sucks in general when a family member or friend borrows something and never returns it. I've heard a lot of similar stories from my dad. Funny, another incident with a cousin that ended negatively.

Honestly, to this day I still don't know what bro did with it... I never got an answer, my mom just said forget it. That's crazy too what's with cousins and not returning stuff lol XD

...as I respond to your comment in my English class...

BRO IM RESPONDING AND IM IN MY ENGLISH CLASS-. . . LIKE RN

Β 

1 hour ago, Cyb3rkn1ght said:

Ayyy, mine was the DS version! but...

I bet you enjoyed yourself lol, I never played the DS Version but I'd assume they are the same but on another console..? Unless it's like Sonic Genreation's DS version.

Edited by SpeedyChilidogs

• The title was changed to What Was Your First Exposure To/First Experience With Video Games?
10 hours ago, The DOMinator said:

Frankly, I remember a lot of mobile games taking up a small portion of my childhood, through my tablet (although it never ended up completely taking over my interest in regular video games). Any free Angry Birds and Sonic games I could get my hands on filled the thing up, as well as a couple other oddballs I messed with, like Minions Paradise, and the Talking Tom apps (and to think,Β they weren't even really games, although I guess that's why they quickly lost my interest). Oh yeah, can't forget Roblox either!

Yeah, I played mobile games a lot before actual video games. I only started playing Roblox this year!

• Thumbs Up 1