Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW #71 - Prerelease Discussion Topic: Official Reveal

Sonictrainer

Ryannumber1gamer
This post was recognized by Ryannumber1gamer!

Sonictrainer was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 30 points.

We have massive spoilers this time so I'm going to spoiler tag the entire solicitation

If you don't want to get spoiled this early on, before the official release of these issues, do not read the solicitation

Sonic IDW #71 Covers

GLjMPndbEAAgCU_?format=jpg&name=4096x409

GLjMbQTbcAAUbJy?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Cover A is by Min Ho Kim
  • Cover B is by Evan Stanley
  • Cover Retail Incentive is by Nathalie Fourdraine

Sonic IDW #71 Solicitation

Spoiler

The Phantom Rider, framed!

Sonic's secret identity is usurped during the next event of the Clean Sweepstakes, leading him and the other riders into a vicious game of smoke and mirrors.

Tensions run high as secrets are revealed and sides are taken.

Don't miss it!

Expected Release Date is July 2024

Other Stuff

We have some concept art of Riders Kit

GLZHnz9XIAANXmE?format=jpg&name=360x360

GLZQJm8bgAAi3-o?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Min Ho Kim: Here's my logoless cover for IDW Sonic #71! I wanted to go for something simpler this time around that would better fit the usual text on the covers!

GLZegYobUAECFLI?format=jpg&name=large

71 cover thumbnails!

GLZh2EnWUAIHxiY?format=jpg&name=large

Nathalie Fourdraine: My cover for #71! Cool bike

Edited by Sonictrainer
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Spoiler

Why have Sonic with a disguise like the "Sneak" in Pre-Reboot Archie? What's the purpose of that? And here I thought the Phantom Rider was a brand-new character but it's just Sonic in a disguise. Whose idea was that?!

Wow! Kit is ROCKING those goggles!

27 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

We have some concept art of Riders Kit

GLZHnz9XIAANXmE?format=jpg&name=360x360

That face says he doesn't really want to be here right now...

• The topic was pinned

...did they fire the person who normally checks to make sure the solicit doesn't spoil the issues leading up to it?

Spoiler

Okay, so Sonic is for some reason the Phantom Rider in STH 70, and then in this issue the cover is implying that Mimic is impersonating the Phantom Rider to make Sonic look bad, hence why Duo is in his shadow while the rest of the cast is in the main lineup. So you have Mimic pretending to be Duo now pretending to be the Phantom Rider and thereby pretending to be the Phantom Rider's true identity - Sonic. Which is a more convoluted version of what Mimic did in his initial appearance in the Tangle & Whisper mini.

...I'd prefer to be wrong and the Phantom Rider was an original character, because what I described above sounds really lame.

Edited by GentlemanX
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 2
  • My Emmerdoods 1
  • Confused 1
  • Absolutely 1

OHHHH SURGE AND KIT LOOK SO COOL!!!

Wait. MIMIC?!

Edited by ShadowForever

I'm just gonna quote what Comic Fan 13 said about the Surge get-up on a YouTube community post:

A Green Sonic Imposter in a jacket and red shades? Why does that sound familiar?

Edited by Lorekitten

Spoiler

im coping so hard right now. the phantom rider is still metal sonic im sure of it i can still win. hes pretending to be sonic and mimic is pretending to be him, pretending to be sonic, to make sonic look bad. this is a logical explanation and i am not insane. its metal sonic in my heart. 

also sidenote: maybe add to the post that the cover contains (minor) spoilers as well, I didn't intend to read the solicitation but after seeing the cover. well it was sort of spoiled anyway.

Edited by screwball

24 minutes ago, screwball said:

also sidenote: maybe add to the post that the cover contains (minor) spoilers as well, I didn't intend to read the solicitation but after seeing the cover. well it was sort of spoiled anyway.

Which one?

16 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

Which one?

the first cover i believe, unless im mistaken it looks to be mimic (as duo) in the shadow of the phantom rider which reveals the identity.

Well, that settles everything. Duo doesn't appear anywhere else there, he has a nice scarf, AND he's on the cover. Even the eye shape! Maybe that wasn't supposed to be a mystery at all?