Awoo.

What would you like from a multiplayer mode in Sonic games?

Shiny Gems

Well, we have had multiplayer modes in some Sonic games before; some with different styles of gameplay like in Sonic Adventure 2 and different minigames, to say the least. In Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic Mania, there was the race to the finish style of gameplay. That was also in Sonic Adventure 2, along with other forms of gameplay like treasure hunting and mech shooting. There was also competing in the special stage in Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sonic Heroes (if I recall correctly on Heroes). Recently, we had Sonic Superstars, which had co-op and online multiplayer.

So with that, here are the questions: How would you like multiplayer mode to work in future Sonic games? Would you like to see the usual racing, or other minigames like the Special Stage and treasure hunting, or something else that is new entirely? How would you like co-op to work, and would you like it to have online functionality? What about online mode for multiplayer mode altogether like in Sonic Superstars?

Also, would you like to see a Sonic massive multiplayer online Sonic game be made some day? By that, I mean something like the MMORPGS, except it does not have to be an RPG. I am talking about something like this.

So, what are your thoughts and wants on multiplayer mode and all for future Sonic the Hedgehog games?

Thats a hard question. for me, at least. it would be cool if we had something like M&L VS mode from New Super on the DS. Getting Red rings as different characters, and even different movesets. what about a Amy Cooking Mama game? Cream and Cheese Mario Party (Or Sonic Shuffle that makes sense), where cream is a Announcer, and guest characters join aswell, and the whole thing is just a playdate with different chao? Maybe a Gormet Race with Metal? so many you could do.

You know the boss battle between Shadow and Sonic in Generations? I want a multiplayer mode based on that. A boost mode racing battle. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I would REALLY like to see treasure hunting races! It's a unique concept which will work for Sonic games(probably?)!

• Thumbs Up 1

Something like Mania’s multiplayer with online would do wonders for so many Sonic games.

And that is not just a race. It’s not that simple. You do get a point for finishing first, but you also get points for things like rings collected, item boxes broken, etc.

Being able to customize and toggle which things you are competing in would be nice. You could have an option to just make it to where you are only competing to where who finishes first. Or just how many rings. Or whatever.

So much of the depth and fun of Sonic does not really come into play if you are just getting to the end. But there is little to no actual in-game motivation to take advantage of or even learn about that depth for things like speedrunning or whatever. No morivation past the intrinsic satisfaction. And so many don’t do it.

Multiplayer competition is a good way to provide such motivation. The ranking system technically also does it for the modern games but there is a lot of problems there I don’t feel like getting into.

Edited by Technically Inept
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Sonic Online Rivals would be a neat idea. Knockout mode was great and racing people who are skilled in big stages would be good, especially with more variety of items, like for example chaos swap where you switch spots and cheat.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Technically Inept said:

Something like Mania’s multiplayer with online would do wonders for so many Sonic games.

And that is not just a race. It’s not that simple. You do get a point for finishing first, but you also get points for things like rings collected, item boxes broken, etc.

Being able to customize and toggle which things you are competing in would be nice. You could have an option to just make it to where you are only competing to where who finishes first. Or just how many rings. Or whatever.

So much of the depth and fun of Sonic does not really come into play if you are just getting to the end. But there is little to no actual in-game motivation to take advantage of or even learn about that depth for things like speedrunning or whatever. No morivation past the intrinsic satisfaction. And so many don’t do it.

Multiplayer competition is a good way to provide such motivation. The ranking system technically also does it for the modern games but there is a lot of problems there I don’t feel like getting into.

I agree with all of this, 100% !!

• Nice Smile 1

The ability to play Eggman and destroy Sonic. Really it.

But make that a single player thing, instead.

Lots of memories playing multiplayer for many of the games. My main issues: 

• Strange UI design makes navigating difficult
  • Frame rate is often low
  • False starts in Sonic 3? 
  • Overpowered time stopping powers
  • Have to unlock most of the multiplayer
  • Low stage amount sometimes
  • Camera problems worsen
  • Generally it all feels tacked on last minute

Not sure what the best one is overall, I think they should put more into multiplayer and that fixes it all. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly, I haven't had the best experiences with multiplayer in Sonic games at least, in most games other characters would seem more of an accessory and not exactly the helpful kind, But I do love how both Sonic Mania and Sonic Superstars display it, I've had the most fun with the different abilities of each character for Mania and Sonic Superstars prolly because it's fun to play with friends and family. As for something I would like would be a Sonic fighting game. They could have so many different characters, and maybe for once Silver can join in on the fun. Like how cool would that be (Sonic vs Eggman for real would be crazy XD).

Or we could have another game like Sonic Advance 3 (specifically) I loved the idea of the team combinations.

12 hours ago, SpeedyChilidogs said:

Or we could have another game like Sonic Advance 3 (specifically) I loved the idea of the team combinations.

that sounds REAL fun. just do it like superstars, and team Combos, and you got yourself a solid Co-op!

• Thumbs Up 1

A fun and well designed Classic Sonic Multiplayer campaign experience. It's already something Mario excels at and I don't see why Sonic can't.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Adventure 2's multiplayer, but with a few changes. Powerups still come with rings, but higher powered powerups cost more rings to activate. So the time stop (which would only ever be as high as five seconds) would cost the most rings. And let's not have the activation be on the same button as every other action this time.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, DarkRula said:

Adventure 2's multiplayer, but with a few changes. Powerups still come with rings, but higher powered powerups cost more rings to activate. So the time stop (which would only ever be as high as five seconds) would cost the most rings. And let's not have the activation be on the same button as every other action this time.

Yeah, I think the SA2 multiplayer formula is great.