Awoo.

Is Sega intentionally shipteasing us?

batson

...concerning the highly popular Sonic X Blaze thingie?

I haven't played either of the Rush games, but from what i have heard, these games do feature some very subtile hints at some kind of UST between the cocky hedgehog and the mellow pussy. Or at least that Blaze might have some (one-sided) feelings for Sonic. Is this actually true? Or is the entire "Sonic X Blaze" notion as fan-created as Shadow X Rouge or Maria X Eggman?

Cause to me, it just seems waaay to... complicated for Sega to intentionally pull this kind of shiptease. I mean, sure, they have their Knuckles X Rouge and, of course, Sonic X Amy thing going on, but thats different. It's different because those are simple "these two characters might one day go steady with each other, and with nobody but each other" scenarios. And since Sonic is already in that kind of scenario with Amy, he cant very well be in one of them Blaze as well. Because then all of a sudden we dont have just a hinted romance going on, but a hinted triangle drama. And that just seems so way out of the Sonic series style.

So yeah, debate.

Edited by batson
  • Thumbs Up 2

I don't think SEGA would. I never noticed any hints towards any feelings like those betwwen the two. She just learned to trust others through Sonic.

I don't think SEGA would add real love for recurring Characters. Maybe some jokes like Amy and Sonic, or little things like Knuckles and Rouge, but trues love no..

Maria X Eggman

I wasn't aware this was a popular fan-pairing at all, especially since Maria is Eggman's very dead cousin.

That said, I honestly don't see anything official in the way of Sonic/Blaze. I saw their friendship in Sonic Rush as just that; A friendship, where Blaze begins to learn to trust and rely on others.

Call me crazy, but I think two people can be close friends and enjoy one another's company without it being romantic in nature. Until Sega actually gives us direct romantic hints, though, I'm honestly not convinced this is their intention to go with the characters. Neither of them have expressed or otherwise hinted at having feelings for one another, so it seems like a fan assumption that gained mass popularity, and nothing more.

• Fist Bump 1

I actually read that as Mario X Eggman.

I'm sure it exists though. Rule 34, yo.

Oh god I laughed.

And yeah, most of these pairings are all fan hype, and they're going to remain fan hype, because we all know that Sega lacks the balls to ignite romantic relationships between their characters in official games because they're too much of pussies to risk ruining the fanbase of those characters!

-Iceman

• Thumbs Up 6

I wouldn't call the pussies for that. Smart would be more fitting.

Edit: That should be them not the. xD Lets call the Pussies!!

Edited by Marcello Claus

Yeah but you have to take risks to be sucsessful in this life, gaming companies take massive risks putting games out, because they have no idea how well they will sell, even if it has a great fanbase. At the same time, legendary games have been created as a last will for companies which were on the verge of death.

Sorta like Sonic Adventure 2. It was Segas last bargaining chip, and dammit, it did well. It didn't 100% save them in the end, but at least it was able to keep them in the gaming industry.

People who always play in their comfort zones and don't put something on the line always loose in the end, regretting that they didn't go the extra mile or take the extra step.

-Iceman

I didn't know Sonic X Blaze was popular. I thought it was pretty obscure.

Hints... I never understood why people are so adamant in having romance in this series. But I suppose there could be hints since Sonamy also has hints and the series isn't any different or worse.

To be honest, I never saw anything but friendship between those two. Their personailies don't fit romantically either. I could see Blaze having a one-side thing for Sonic (like loving a shadow) but I don't think he would feel the same for her. I don't think these hints you speak of are that important to begin. I highly doubt Sonic Team is angling for a love triangle of all things in the Sonic series, if they hardly ever touch upon romance besides comic relief to begin with.

Despite that, I can't see how Blaze, bound by responsabilities, would appeal to Sonic either, besides the cliché of setting her free (and that would destroy HER character's motivations and goals). I don't think he'd have much fun with someone so serious besides the (another) cliché of bickering love interest, and that was already old when Pride and Prejudice kicked in more than one century ago (and I despise it immensely). There are more things I suppose, like being from different dimensions, not being flexible enough to appear regularly, etc.

cocky hedgehog and the mellow pussy

/childish humour

Blaze is so socially awkward that it's easy to call her interaction with anyone romantic. I can see where people might have seen a bit of that in the first Rush, but I don't recall much of anything in Rush Adventure. Of course, there's also Black Knight, which has awkward blushing and everything... :P

I don't think there's much to worry about, though. Hopefully everyone's learned their lessons from '06 that complicated drama and Sonic mix like oil and water, and that engaging Sonic in a multi-dimensional love triangle would be pretty damn stupid.

Yeah but you have to take risks to be sucsessful in this life, gaming companies take massive risks putting games out, because they have no idea how well they will sell, even if it has a great fanbase. At the same time, legendary games have been created as a last will for companies which were on the verge of death.

Sorta like Sonic Adventure 2. It was Segas last bargaining chip, and dammit, it did well. It didn't 100% save them in the end, but at least it was able to keep them in the gaming industry.

People who always play in their comfort zones and don't put something on the line always loose in the end, regretting that they didn't go the extra mile or take the extra step.

-Iceman

I hardly doubt SA2 alone saved SEGA of anything.

I also doubt that having characters hooking up will increase the fanbase, quite the contrary. There's a reason why prolonged sexual tension is used with reckless abandon in almost every single piece of fiction in existance, and only get resolved in the last moments. It keeps the romantic petty audience interested.

Edited by redmenace

Wait a minute, Sonic and Blaze? Hints? What?

Ive played both games in the Rush series from beginning to end and the most I ever saw was just Sonic being nice to Blaze. And by nice, I mean like treating her like one of his friends after they had worked out their differences. You know, after Blaze pretty much stalked around like an angsty bitch for most of the game with Cream in tow, and wasn't interested in finding Sonic for help like the others were suggesting she do. I always thought the ending to Rush (where they shake hands and hold on to each other as their dimensions rip apart) was merely a show of good will and gesture towards a newly acquired/respected friend. Nothing more. I also thought their dynamic in Rush Adventure was more of a working rival relationship on par with what Sonic normally would have with Shadow or Knuckles if they're not having a go at one another. All business and no play. :D

On top of that, Blaze is basically relegated to multi-player appearances in games that don't weigh heavily into the game canon these days, so I really doubt that's the case.

Edited by KittyNakajima

I hardly doubt SA2 alone saved SEGA of anything.

I also doubt that having characters hooking up will increase the fanbase, quite the contrary. There's a reason why prolonged sexual tension is used with reckless abandon in almost every single piece of fiction in existance, and only get resolved in the last moments. It keeps the romantic petty audience interested.

Well I mean, I never said it would or wouldn't increase the fanbase. Neither you or I can say that it will or won't, because quite simply, we just do not know. As easily as you said that characters "hooking up" would not sell, there are entire fan sites that say it will. Neither argument is valid though, as truly, neither party knows. The irritating fact, is that Sega doesn't even want to risk and find out.

If they had the balls to throw Sonic in Medieval times with a suit of armor and whales accents, then I think just sparking an official relationship between two characters for a while maybe deserves a chance as well, especially seeing as how they never did it before.

-Iceman

I think those are two totally different things. The relationship would change characters for more than just one game. Black Knight only had him going into a different world for one game. It didn't change anyones character, seeing as Shadow and co. were other people.

It's true what you say, however, there still is no valid reason as to why Sega should not experiment with light romantic relationships between it's characters.

I mean, it'd be cute for crying out loud.

-Iceman

The main reason I think the fanbase is so adamant about shipping couples in the game is because of the (over)emphasis on romance in other continuities, namely Satam and Archie. While the hardcore fans would probably enjoy Sonic being an item with Shadow Blaze it most likely won't generate a positive response if any at all from the general gaming community. I think if they're gonna hook anyone up they should start small with minor characters like, I dunno, Vector and Vanilla maybe. Both of their names start with "V" so they would make a perfect couple... until Cream fucks with his headphones.

While the hardcore fans would probably enjoy Sonic being an item with Shadow Blaze it most likely won't generate a positive response if any at all from the general gaming community.

This made me die of laughter because it's true to the E. I haven't laughed so hard at something on this board since the whole GUMBALL EYEZ shit, well that and that piece of Sin that Slinger posted earlier.

-Iceman

The "hardcore" fans are probably crusty old nostalgic purists like me who prefer to see Sonic single and not paired up with anybody.

Sonic is a good character, but I just don't think he lends himself well to romantic plotlines. It's okay to have that stuff in cartoons, comics, etc. I suppose, but seeing the original game Sonic- who's gone this long as a single character- suddenly enter a relationship with anyone would really change the dynamic of the story.

I'm not saying change is bad, but I personally think seeing Sega's Sonic with anyone would be rather awkward at best.

xD I'd have to say that, at 7 minutes into this video, it kind of counts as a shiptease, slightly. So I'd have to agree with the OP. xP

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not saying change is bad, but I personally think seeing Sega's Sonic with anyone would be rather awkward at best.

Eheh. I'll say amen to that.

Hints here and there are really cute, but to see Sonic in an actual relationship in the game canon would be pretty weird unless it was handled with monumental care.

Shadow

Oddly enough, that sort of makes sense to me. I mean, my biggest fear would be Sonic's love interest getting kidnapped or whatever by Eggman and Sonic going into VENGEFUL FURY mode... somehow I can't imagine that ever happening to Mr. Ultimate Lifeform. Not without it being uproariously funny, anyway.

"Save me, dammit... GET MOVING~!"

Edited by Octarine
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have to agree with batson, but all I have to say on this is:

Does anyone else actually remember the cutscene before the final credits in Sonic Rush Adventure where Sonic and Blaze discuss the chaos and sol emeralds attracting each other? Sonic is just like "Heh, well, you never know!" and that's a pretty good ship-tease if I say so myself.

• Thumbs Up 1

The "hardcore" fans are probably crusty old nostalgic purists like me who prefer to see Sonic single and not paired up with anybody.

Sonic is a good character, but I just don't think he lends himself well to romantic plotlines. It's okay to have that stuff in cartoons, comics, etc. I suppose, but seeing the original game Sonic- who's gone this long as a single character- suddenly enter a relationship with anyone would really change the dynamic of the story.

I am ashamed by the lack of Robotnik in your posting, Mechano. You fail to meet your quota for today.

*scribbles red pen on paper.*

Kidding aside, doesn't anyone feel weird that we are talking about the relationships of a bunch of under-aged characters?

Oh, right. Internet. :lol:

• Thumbs Up 1

Kidding aside, doesn't anyone feel weird that we are talking about the relationships of a bunch of under-aged characters?

Oh, right. Internet. :lol:

Does everything have to immediately imply sex?

Internet indeed. 'Sides, Sonic's not even anatomically correct.

I can handle bad gameplay, voice acting, overall bad stories, but the day Sonic is officially "shipped" with anyone is the day I never touch another Sonic game again.

180px-SonicEliseKiss.jpg

Why are you still here?

• Thumbs Up 3

Blaze is so socially awkward that it's easy to call her interaction with anyone romantic.

That's exactly what I was going to say.XD Blaze has so few friendships that she becomes attached to those friends that she does have very easily.

I feel that my main problem with introducing the idea of Sonic being romantically involved with someone is that it has the potential to sabotage all his relationships besides the romantic one. What I mean is that, handled badly, a relationship between Sonic and Amy or Tails or Blaze or whoever would cause the only meaningful interaction to be between Sonic and his significant other. I like to think of Sonic as someone who can have multiple "best friends" that he cares about equally in different ways. So while I'm not entirely opposed to Sonic having a romantic relationship, I wouldn't want it to happen if it derails his relationships with the other characters.

• Thumbs Up 3