Awoo.

Famed Dragon Ball Creator and artist of Dragon Quest Akira Toriyama Passes away.

Cuz

He was a legend among legends. There aren't many people who can claim to have positively influenced the lives of generations of people like he did, and in so many ways too. I don't have much to say because the sheer impact of his life and work speaks for itself. Even beyond how Dragon Ball managed to unite so many people and give them unforgettable memories, his work has pretty much permanently changed the landscape of fiction as we know it. How many RPGs have you seen be inspired by his work on Dragon Quest? How many games are as influential as Chrono Trigger? You'd be hard pressed to name action-driven stories that AREN'T inspired by Dragon Ball in some capacity. His work was just that transcendent.

Today's just kind of one of those days that I never imagined would actually come. Toriyama just felt that untouchable. Rest easy, man.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

Absolutely heartbreaking to see. Even as someone who didn't get into Dragon Ball until around the time of Xenoverse, it's one of my favourite franchises, and to hear that Toriyama died so suddenly? It's a shock. Absolutely gutted to hear this.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

The creator of Naruto's response:

To be honest, I have never even looked at Toriyama’s wiki to see his age until today. So you’ll find it funny that I’m surprised he passed away and at the age of 68. I legit thought he was at least 50.

Biggest shock to come home from work to.

Edited by CrownSlayer’s Shadow

This is truly heartbreaking to me.  I grew up watching Dragonball Z and that was the series that got me into anime in the first place.  It's such a tragedy that such a great artist and creator had passed away so soon.  May he rest in peace...

• Thumbs Up 1

Absolutely devastating. I grew up with Toriyama's artwork all my life, and everything that shot off of it as a result. I love Dragon Ball. Chrono Trigger is a top three game of all time. I've always respected Dragon Quest and only recently went head first into it. Hell, Sandland is getting a new game, movie and follow up this year. It's always just been there and has been a massive influence on my life.

RIP to the GOAT.

Toriyama has been one of my biggest insperations throughout my life, since I first saw DBZ on Cartoon Network in the 1990's. I may have disagreed with some of his writing style but his imagination, style and pure magic changed my life as well the world forever. Its hard to find something that wasn't affected by his creations, the mans manga changed shoenen forever. 

Rest in Peace Akira Toriyama. Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 3

Such incredibly sad news. I always somehow managed to skirt around Dragonball/Z my entire teenage life, even as others around me were obsessed with it. But Akira Toriyama's impact has been felt across the entire world, across so many other franchises (obviously, there are influences seen in Sonic which I was exposed to) so I never felt like I was truly out of the loop on how transcendent that series has been.

I guess now is a better time than any to do a marathon of the OG DB series and Z (which I've started many times but always fell off). Rest in peace Toriyama-san. Thanks for everything.

• Thumbs Up 2

Man. I was just picking up my DB rewatch again, and now this. Toriyama brought a lot of joy to the world, and to my life personally. He will be missed.

• Thumbs Up 1

T̶i̶m̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶D̶r̶a̶g̶o̶n̶B̶a̶l̶l̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶i̶s̶h̶ ̶h̶i̶m̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶

Seriously, this was a shock to hear. Even though i lost interest in itvin the later years, DragonBall Z was a big part of me and my siblings' childhood growing up. Thank you Toriyama for making my childhood awesome.

I was heartbroken when I found out the news last night and alerted my brother and my friends online. Dragon Ball was one of my most favorite anime of all time (well, Z in particular). Toriyama-san was indeed the GOAT and the legend that influenced and inspired manga authors/artists for franchises such as One Piece and Naruto. Because of him, his influence gave the Sonic franchise references and shout-outs for the Super forms and the number 7 for the Chaos Emeralds. Also impacted video games for the popular Dragon Quest series, Chrono series, Tobal series and the upcoming Sand Land. 

Unfortunately, we don't have the 7 Dragon Balls to resurrect him. He will surely be missed. RIP.

Edited by StreetSonic2022

Truly one of the greatest. Dragon Ball is easily up there with Star Wars in global recognition, influence and impact in many generations and to this day, myself included. His work and influence cannot be understated. So many tropes he has defined... For good, or for bad, again, cannot be understated. Who doesn't recognize a Dragon Ball or warrior with spike gold hair as DB?

I absolutely love Dragon Ball, been there since OG all the way to GT and Super, saw all the new movies on theaters, played nearly every game, some of them are my favorites of ALL time. 

It's a huge loss. And to know he was younger than my father even. I though he was at least around 70. So young.

Rest in peace, mr. Toriyama.

Edited by Jango
  • Thumbs Up 1

This came completely out of no where... I wonder who is going to take over control of the series now.

Well, his son and Toyotaro and the DB Room and the editor of V-jump, then Toei Animation I Guess...

I'm gonna be honest, nobody can do it like Toriyama could. With the possible exceptions of stuff like Resurrection F and some of the TV specials, I don't think any non-Toriyama entity has ever consistently produced better Dragon Ball stories. I have no confidence in Toyotaro or most of the outer Dragon Ball circle.

Dramatically changed the course of history across four different mediums of art. Greatly influenced and inspired the lives of tens of millions of people, if not hundreds. Never heard a bad word about him, which makes it all hit harder. With the division of media of the past twenty years, possibly the last of that type of singular influencing voice, the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby/Osamu Tezuka type, we'll ever again have in any medium.

The GOAT without question.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • My Emmerdoods 1

Hard to believe Dragon Ball Super Hero is going to be the last time we're going to really have heavy involvement from Toriyama in it's creation, depending on how much of a hand he had with Daima. Although I would also say it's probably the most fitting. Piccolo was his favourite character, and a lot of Super Hero was about bringing the anime closer to the style and colourisation of the original manga. 

Seems fitting that his last major project (to our knowledge outside Daima) is the next major story step for Gohan and Piccolo that brought them back into the series' relevance again.

I've been deliberately keeping myself away from the new so I was slightly later that I learned the sad news. I'll fully admit that I've never really been able to enjoy the Dragonball series, but that doesn't mean I'm oblivious to the legend and influence that Akira Toriyama is and has provided. Dragon Quest used to be one of my favourite JRPGs, though I can't be totally sure if it was the first one I played of the series, the one I have clear memories of playing the earliest was Dragon Quest 8 on the PS2. I certainly didn't expect to see him as a Hero alt in the Dragon Quest Hero reveal of Smash Bros Ultimate.

But then you also have his talents  provided in a separate yet equally iconic JRPG in Chrono Trigger. I'm pretty sure that CT was a trail blazer in what you could do too. Even being bold enough to kill off Chrono himself, something unheard of in games as a whole. Depending on what you do after, he might even remain dead. But I should be clear that I'm more familiar with it's DS port and it's updates that were added. Chrono Trigger was also the first JRPG to have a humanoid frog join the party, I'm pretty sure a humanoid frog was part of it's playable cast in at least two other JRPGs that I know off, perhaps more?

I also recall another JRPG that had a short stint which I believe also had Akira Toriyama's talents provided called Blue Dragon. Gosh, this one wasn't as memorable as Chrono Trigger. I can barely tell you anything that happened in it. I can just recall the group of protagonists were able to harness a power which seemed to manifest from their own shadow to form and large blue creature that will fight for them.

I did forgot that when somebody that changed the world and made so many people happy, passes away. The foulest of the scummiest of people will crawl out of there swamp to say the most tedious and selfish crap ever. So, although it is a little late to warn about this, best avoid certain area's of social media. Even though it can be interesting learning who these scum are and tend to work for, but I ain't going down that road.

I wish I could say more, but I've only really covered what he's had a hand in creating that I experienced growing up. It's a shame he has unfinished work that will never be complete, (I think.) and I wish his family and friends the best. He was older than I expected, but still should've had many more years left. I feel like we're losing some talented individuals far too soon.