Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW: Fang the Hunter #1 - Reader Reaction & Review

Sonictrainer

The Search for the "8th Chaos Emerald" begins

F82uBLFXIAAjpHN?format=jpg&name=large

• Thumbs Up 1

Fang #1 is less than I hoped for. Not terrible, but still less.

First, like I said in Amy Special, the small cast size caught up with Classic-verse as we desperately re-use the same characters in every story. Unless Bird Armada is coming, but I doubt it.

Starting loney-tunes hi-jinks are alright, if a bit long. But then Fang starts talking about the 8th Chaos Emerald and I find it frustratingly "meta". It's pure nonsense unless you know the story of "real-life" emeralds during the classic era. Their inconsistent numbers, colors, Rainbow emerald inside emerald (I think that from Sonic R?). I'm fine with quick wink to camera, but this is the focus of the story.

Then they go to Knuckles and the fact that Fang refuses to steal ME is just dumb. Couldn't it be in Hidden Palace?

Next we have a little rebellion from Bean & Bark and I'm sorry, but Bean feels so weird using logical argument. Whole scene feels forces and I have no idea what's the purpose of it. Why even Bean complains about working for Eggman if they got paid. What's his problem? (Also, Fang saved both of them in Amy Special. So much for loyalty).

Can't say I really care about playing around with Knuckles either. Reminder that there are no stakes since they just want to talk to him. He won't even send them to jail or anything.

So yeah. I'm not angry like with Amy Special, but I don't really "feel" the story so far. I hoped Flynn will come up with some semi-logical explanation for 8th emerald, since everything is so vague I'm highly suspecting this is a rumor spread by Eggman or whoever flies the mystery ship.

My thoughts on this amount to...Eh, it's okay.

With the main series going on haitus, I was hoping for this to be a fun jaunt through the classic universe/timeline to tide me over, but after reading I can't say I feel very excited to see where the plot goes even if that's exactly what we're getting.

It's a compelling concept: Wow! An eighth chaos emerald? How can this be? Let's go hunt it down!

I like that as a story hook...but I think where it's failing to catch my attention is that I personally am not attached to Fang and his gang the way I am with most of the other characters. I found myself more interested in seeing what Sonic, Tails and Knuckles were up to even though they are not the focus because Fang and the rest are so blah. It also doesn't help that (so far from what I have seen in IDW) Fang, Bark and Bean's dynamic with each other is less interesting to me than their dynamic with other characters, and while both are represented here, the former gets a looot of screentime.

Considering my lack of enjoyment stems mostly from my lack of care for Fang's gang, I am curious to know how fans of the trio are feeling about this issue. Did it do your guys justice? Also you should tell me why me thinking they're boring is wrong and they're the best characters ever. Maybe it'll help me appreciate both them and this mini-series more lol.

16 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Then they go to Knuckles and the fact that Fang refuses to steal ME is just dumb. Couldn't it be in Hidden Palace?

Them not going after the Master Emerald legit made me stop and go, "...Huh???" xD

It's right there! Unguarded and worth lots of money probably! C'mooon, surely a little opportunism is in order during your wild goose chase, Fang.

26 minutes ago, Gruffin said:

my lack of care for Fang's gang

In theory the Hooligans are something like Ed Edd and Eddie: A greedy leader guy tricks two poor sobs into following his money schemes. One is an idiot, the other is only a sane person who should know better but goes with it anyway, through a mix of peer pressure, need of company and actual attachment to the other two.

Of course, comedy here is limited by several factors. Fang's schemes aren't nearly as crazy and elaborate as Eddie's. And Bark can't talk, so his contribution is minimalistic. So it is Fang driving the whole thing, with Bean doing a funny non-sequitor, with Bark subtle additions.

Their job is to be a fun thing to fight. Like, people love Robot Masters from Mega Man but that doesn't mean they could carry their own stories. They have plenty of personalities for disposable bosses, but not enough for protagonists.

• Nice Smile 1

• 2 weeks later...

I find it interesting that they want to give more importance to other forgotten characters in the franchise, I also hope they give more narrative to many unresolved things in the modern era

I thought it was fine. To be honest, I don't have much interest or investment in these classic continuity stories. I know the IDW book has gone through a bit of a dull patch lately but I at least know that things are building to a big event and there are status quo changes.

I have liked the annuals so far, and the Free Comic Book Day issue, but I think classic works better as one off issues, fun little cutesy low stakes adventures. To me, I feel like it doesn't really suit a 4 issue mini-series. I mean, isn't the classic continuity by definition essentially one with a very strict status quo? It's hard not to feel like this 8th emerald question is going to lead to some kind of punch line essentially.

I feel like as well it also brings into question what seperates the classic continuity comics and the IDW continuity comics? Lower stakes, a cutesier artstyle, something that a kid of all ages can read whereas the main book is probably something for slightly older kids? If the intention is to try and do a lot of classic continuity issues from now on, I feel like they need to differentiate themselves more from the IDW continuity books, and I think length is one of them. If the speculation is true that a second monthly book would be for classic continuity, I think it makes for it to just do single issue stories, maybe 2 issue stories at max. Hell, if this was structured like Archie, I would have the IDW book running 18 pages an issue and the classic continuity as the back 6 page story.

I don't hate this, I do like this, but it is hard not to feel a little bitter that the main book has to go on hiatus while this plays out. Kindof thing that makes me just wish IDW would just do a second monthly series at this point rather than the constant one offs and mini-series, but then considering IDW's woes, I guess we should be thankful at all for any consistent content right now.

• Nice Smile 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was really bored after reading issue 1, especially since the main comic is on hiatus for this, and as you guys said, they use mostly the same cast for every classic story, focus on Fang is nice, but it's the same antics every time, it gets repetitive fast. I don't know what else to say honestly.

So based iff thede commenta, its worth waiting until its included in the idw collected editions in about 3 years' time then. 

• 1 month later...