Awoo.

[EVENT] The Sonic Stadium 52 Game Challenge 2024! - New Prizes every week! Current Prize: Sonic Advance 2 Profile gift!

Ryannumber1gamer

Ryannumber1gamer
This post was recognized by Ryannumber1gamer!

KingKnucklesFan134 was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 40 points.

Game Number 24/52: Spyro The Dragon (Reignited Trilogy) (Finished)

First time playing a Spyro game, and had a fun time. Platforming was tight and interesting throughout, and enemy variety kept the level design interesting even with the lack of innovation around the middle of the game. Also the load times are horrid. :(

Game Rating: 4 Out Of 5:

462466.jpg.9128199624816e38ed440294c1cbca23.jpg

Game Number 25/52: Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon (100% Complete)

Easily one of the best Fire Emblem games, with a more Iron-man centric design philosophy and a wide array of characters to choose from. Couple that with Player Phase oriented enemy design, and you've got yourself an instant classic in my house.

Game Rating: 5 Out Of 5:

Viewrecentphotos2.png.6faa94e057632c4415539f9df76d29b1.png

Game Number 26/52: Mega Man Xtreme 2 (Finished)

Finished the first game years ago and had a great time, and now had finished its sequel, I wish there was more in the series then the first two, it manages to improve the level design of the original Maverick stages such as Tunnel Rhino, and Launch Octopus. Excellent game.

Screenshot(102).png.31d8a1f40b89da0911c9ca3089cb7f8a.png

Game Number 27/52: Mega Man 8 (100% Complete)

One of the better Mega Man games for sure, with fantastic graphics due to it being on the Playstation, a unique sounding OST due to again, the Playstation, and level design that stays pretty consistent throughout, except for Wily Stage 1, easily one of the worst gaming experiences I had when I played this game for the first time.

45864.jpg.7e15caf25f4e5b437db38a6d29e28887.jpg

Games Finished: 15

Games Completed: 12

Edited by KingSonicFan134
  • Thumbs Up 1

Damn, an early update from me for once! 

First things first, we have the blogs from last week's update - check out my thoughts on Shrek 2 GBA and Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League here:

Now, two more games to add this week!

Game 35: Fortnite Chapter 5, Season 2 (100%):

18ee52b227650-screenshotUrl.thumb.jpg.ee0ed8f745060e852042e3a5fc6b9aac.jpg

18ee52b3cdd81-screenshotUrl.thumb.jpg.629d2ec1fd672f30da99d5c2bcf95871.jpg

Game 36: Sonic the Hedgehog 4 - Episode 1 (100%):

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/280-sonic-the-hedgehog-4-episode-i/ryannumber3gamer

Ryannumber1gamer

Failinhearts was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

WEEK 15: FAILIN'S POSTGAME

Say it with me now, kids.

WE GOT A-

GAME 61: FORTNITE CHAPTER 5: SEASON 2 (PS5): 100% COMPLETE

GAMES FINISHED: 61

GAMES COMPLETED: 56

• Thumbs Up 1

Weekly Report:

Besides Fortnite, I have also started playing Fallout 76 again (which does have its own battle pass-like system) after a rise in players as a result of the Fallout TV show. Now I gotta limit my play time heavily because dead week is tomorrow... Yay...

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

Spin Attaxx was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

GAME #11: SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (1991)

Wait, hang on, this isn't the blue video game guy who jumps and fights an evil scientist's robots! This is the blue video game guy who jumps and fights an evil scientist's robots! But, like, faster or something. And with an extra eight bits.

Anyway, Sonic 1 is a game that I remember watching long before I had ever played it. As a kid circa 2008, to me Sonic as a character and concept had pretty much always existed, and he basically had no origin. So when I decided to find said origin, I came across Cybershell's now-ancient Let's Play of Sonic 1 on YouTube, and was captivated by it. In the following years, I had a desire to play it (and Sonic 2 and 3&K), and would finally do so with Mega Collection Plus on the PS2. It was the dark ages looking back, what with its 50HZ emulation and slowed down music, but eventually, I would find a better way of playing it - a superior way, even.

The Taxman phone version? As if; my phone back then was basically a brick. No, I got the 3DS port developed by M2, which is what I played for this, and is my usual means of playing Sonic 1 these days. I bring this up, because it adds the spindash to the game (and also exactly one extra ring in Labyrinth Act 1's shortcut just so you can end it with 50 rings). Obviously, the game wasn't designed with it in mind, but I still can't imagine not using it, even if isn't exactly something I use a lot.

Beyond that, it is very much "the first Sonic game" and it has a bit of an identity crisis where it's trying to be a high-speed roller coaster specatcle dash, but also a methodical platformer which demands keeping an eye open and taking things slow, which the speed cap will ensure you do. Even so, I don't find myself having the same visceral hatred for Marble Zone or Labyrinth Zone that others do. Part of this could just be me having played this game so much that I know how to make each level go by faster - I know where the hidden passages in Marble Act 3 are, I know how to get to the shortcut in Labyrinth Act 1, I know how to skip the slow blocks in Spring Yard Act 1, I of course know how to make Scrap Brain Act 3 a non-issue etc.

But even beyond that, the overall aesthetic and vibe of Sonic 1 is something that just sticks out in my mind, and I'd argue only Sonic CD comes close to recapturing it. The look of Green Hill Zone in particular is one I'm so used to, that its depictions in modern post-Generations media oddly feel "fake" in some way. It didn't click until recently that the overall intention was to make the backgrounds look like the early CG renders of the time, but now I can very clearly see it. And I just think Marble Zone and Labyrinth Zone have neat tiles and backgrounds overall. When I think of this game, I just picture it as something meant to be played in the dead of night, with the only source of light being the TV as the game plays. (You probably shouldn't actually play the game like that, though.)

I don't feel the need to go into the music - everyone knows is rly guud - but one thing I always found interesting was how Masato Nakamura claims he composed the soundtrack like he was writing it for a film. Can't say I see it myself, but it makes me wonder what a film with this kind of soundtrack and score progression would be like. (Can't be worse than most films nowadays, which usually lack memorable or recognisable tracks outside of maybe a few leitmotifs.)

Even though I hadn't replayed Sonic 1 in a long while, I still remembered the stage layouts like the back of my hand, even the Special Stages. It's strange, I always feel compelled to go for the Chaos Emeralds in Sonic 1, even though they don't really do anything and are rather unforgiving to obtain (you can only afford to screw up getting them four times). I don't even do that for Sonic 2. But I don't have any kind words for the third and sixth Special Stages, they're just the "lol lmao get yeeted into the goal blocks nerd" levels. But hey, I got them all (well, the game claims Sonic got them all, the credit-stealing little git), so that's another 100% complete game down.

20240420_085023.thumb.jpg.8eaa7e2ca6e133e9a3675ec99a91df76.jpg

(Ever think about how this game gives you the choice to let Eggman go or show him no mercy after the final boss? This game asks you some pertinent ethical questions.)

• Thumbs Up 2

14 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Just to check, is this including GOW Ragnarok's Valhalla DLC?

If that counts, then yes. Otherwise its 20 finished and 13 fully complete.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just checking in to say that I didn't really get to anything this past week. Bums. Lot of life admin and work catchup. I hope to plough through some Picross and Phoenix Wright over the next week.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Covskin said:

If that counts, then yes. Otherwise its 20 finished and 13 fully complete.

Vahalla won’t count unfortunately since it’s only a DLC expansion. So 20 finished, 13 completed.

Ryannumber1gamer

Agie was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

Weekly check-in, but no beaten games. But with the Knuckles challenge, I do have one to submit, and I got what I'd like to consider an honorable mention, though it's based on something that I know not everyone will be jazzed for...though far as I could see, the more controversial content of the source isn't there. But it won't be counted on the main list at any rate due to the lack of a defined ending.

But first, the list, if only because I don't want it buried.

On 4/16/2024 at 3:59 PM, Agie said:

1. Super Mario RPG Remake

2. Kaze and the Wild Masks

3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan (100%)

4. Mega Man 1

5. Mega Man 2

6. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Arcade Game

7. Twinkle Star Sprites

8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (100%)

9. Sunset Riders

10. Mega Man 3

11. Mega Man 4 (sequel wars version)

12. Terminator Salvation (arcade)

13. Roll-Chan 5 (hack of Mega Man 5)

14. Kiki KaiKai

15. Roll-Chan 6 (hack of Mega Man 6)

16. Beeny

17. Roll-Chan World (hack of Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge)

18. Roll-Chan: Mini World (hack of Game Gear Mega Man)

19. Duke Nukem 1

20. Roll-Chan World 2 (hack of Game Boy Mega Man II)

21. Earthworm Jim

22. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 1

23. Duke Nukem II

24. Roll-Chan World 3 (hack of Game Boy Mega Man III)

25. The New Zealand Story

26. Sonic the Hedgehog CD

27. Roll-Chan World 4 (hack of Game Boy Mega Man IV)

28. Momodora

29. Roll-Chan World 5 (hack of Game Boy Mega Man V)

30. Mega Man: The Wily Wars (Wily Tower)

31. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back From the Sewers

32. Mega Man: Powered Up

33. Mega Man 7 Restoration + Refit (100%)

34. Mega Man: The Power Battle

35. Duke Nukem 3D: Total Meltdown

36. The Simpsons Arcade (Konami)

37. Jurassic Park Arcade (Raw Thrills)

38. Boogerman: A Pick and Flick Adventure

39. Mega Man 8

40. Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters

41. Mega Man & Bass

42. Mega Man & Bass: Challenger of the Future (100%)

43. Earthworm Jim 2 (100%)

44. Mega Man: Battle & Chase

45. Liquid Kids (100%)

46. Mega Man 9 (100%)

47. Batman (Raw Thrills) (100%)

48. Halo: Fireteam Raven (100%)

49. Hi-Fi Rush

Honorable Mentions:
Ms. Pac-Man (Arcade)

Big Challenge:
Big's Big Fishing Adventure 3

Alright, with that out of the way? First, the Knuckles challenge.

Knuckles Challenge: Sonic 3D in 2D

This is meant to be an interpretation of what Sonic 3D Blast would look like if it were 2D like the other Genesis games, as the name implies. I haven't gotten far, and got a game over on act 2 of Green Grove, but I wasn't exactly being serious, I will admit. Apparently, this game has some stuff to bridge the gap between the Classic and Modern eras, but I haven't gotten far. Maybe I'll do a more serious playthrough later in the challenge; we'll see.20240422143313_1.thumb.jpg.4318a44a8c188f4b6435ed25458eb17f.jpg20240422143456_1.thumb.jpg.c1cc843ba148fafdaa0dcdae1abc29d4.jpg20240422143553_1.thumb.jpg.3443b1315613835b132510e3dfa3f65b.jpg20240422143604_1.thumb.jpg.2524dd6fb3f29803490134fe324a512d.jpg20240422143830_1.thumb.jpg.2742184f585b8c279939ec987c44c30c.jpg

Honorable Mention: Bomber Panel Panic

Now, this one, I'll address the elephant in the room; yes, this is partially based on Bombergirl, a controversial entry in the Bomberman series for its fanservice elements, to put it very mildly. Whether or not that bothers you...well, that's your call, not mine. But I will say, at least as far as I can tell, none of that is in this fangame; I just had to warn you because if you only knew them from this game, you would be shocked. EDIT: There's also a chance I may have missed something, so...you have been warned.

But gameplay-wise, it appears to be based on Panel De Pon, or Puzzle League. My only prior experience with Puzzle League, in any of its forms, was Pokemon Puzzle League, a game that went missing on me years ago (RIP), and my sister's copy of the GBA game. I have not played the games myself since before I stumbled on this fangame out of nowhere.

It's a no-frills clone, so if you've played a Puzzle League game before and you are not a fan of Bombergirl, this game will offer you nothing you cannot get from the other games. Still, it was nice being able to do this again, and I say if you want a simple, free game of Puzzle Leage, it's worth at least a go.

I also really like the artwork of the characters here; it's very cute for the most part. And yes, I also realize I stink at this game, because I lost to Kuro in the screenshot.20240419003747_1.thumb.jpg.1c1b523e81e9350d72a5fcaf49536c24.jpg20240419003547_1.thumb.jpg.74196cd7a9f5a705fe25e898acac7b37.jpg20240419005334_1.thumb.jpg.6bc0c88d13edb66eacee5264a92c1347.jpg20240419010051_1.thumb.jpg.3161a1a37db9633e507c516282e21c1e.jpg20240419011838_1.thumb.jpg.cc4ef71bd591d07d8f240a9dfbf7bdc6.jpg

Edited by Agie
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 2

Well, I just happened to be in the neighborhood when I heard the news of the new challenge. Been playing Sonic Adventure 2  lately.

sonic2app.exe_Screenshot_2024.04.21_-_22

Couldn't ask for better timing.

My mission to complete Sonic Adventure 2 has not been without adversity, especially on the Emerald-Hunting stages, but man, when the skills (and luck) line up just right in this game, boy do they hit nice and hard.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 1

Knuckles the Echidna in some crusty old rom folder from 2008.

3GjqwDy.png.a2cd2eef0d242e0df7ab0a74fe658531.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1

Good ol' Knuckles. Sonic 3 and Knuckles is THE sonic game i played growing up so I have a soft spot for the dude.

20240422234353_1.thumb.jpg.a80e9498c20459737a382bbfc901c94b.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3

• The title was changed to [EVENT] The Sonic Stadium 52 Game Challenge 2024! - The Knuckles Week Special Challenge is Active! Join it now for special prizes! Weekly Check-In prize: Sonic Advance Profile Gift
Ryannumber1gamer

The DOMinator was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 40 points.

7 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Not only do we have our brand new prize this week

Huh, so I guess I made the Sonic Adventure 2 deadline the other night? Regardless, I'm just getting the Knuckles challenge out of the way before I forget it/put it off for too long. I needed to log in to Sonic Speed Simulator anyways to make some progress on unlocking the movie characters, so that's my game of choice here:

IMG_20240422_231407.thumb.jpg.23aabd84c5d24c3f1c976985ca603846.jpg

For the added effect of Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles, I decided to swap out my normal load out for Classic Knuckles as the character, the Knuckles, Treasure Hunter Knuckles, and Holiday Knuckles toys as my fast friends, and I made sure to photo op with Movie Knuckles. Speaking of which, grinding for him wasn't actually that bad, having completed 3/5 dumbbell goals, as well as completing 2/5 of the tasks needed for Movie Tails and Sonic. One final thing before signing off: the new City Escape map is pretty cool, both to explore, and in detail. I spotted several elements from the actual level sprinkled throughout the map, which was neat. And having an open City Escape map is welcomed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3

14 minutes ago, The DOMinator said:

Huh, so I guess I made the Sonic Adventure 2 deadline the other night? Regardless, I'm just getting the Knuckles challenge out of the way before I forget it/put it off for too long. I needed to log in to Sonic Speed Simulator anyways to make some progress on unlocking the movie characters, so that's my game of choice here:

You did, yeah. Prizes will be distributed sometime this week for last week's check in.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

Sean was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 20 points.

#15/52 - Warhammer: Chaosbane (PC)

Completed the main story, didn't do any of the side stuff. Pretty mediocre but mercifully mindless enough to put on a video or podcast while playing. Playing as a dwarf lady with an explosive gun is fun, too.

20240422223529_1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Agie said:

Honorable Mention: Bomber Panel Panic

Now, this one, I'll address the elephant in the room; yes, this is partially based on Bombergirl, a controversial entry in the Bomberman series for its fanservice elements, to put it very mildly. Whether or not that bothers you...well, that's your call, not mine. But I will say, at least as far as I can tell, none of that is in this fangame; I just had to warn you because if you only knew them from this game, you would be shocked. EDIT: There's also a chance I may have missed something, so...you have been warned.

But gameplay-wise, it appears to be based on Panel De Pon, or Puzzle League. My only prior experience with Puzzle League, in any of its forms, was Pokemon Puzzle League, a game that went missing on me years ago (RIP), and my sister's copy of the GBA game. I have not played the games myself since before I stumbled on this fangame out of nowhere.

Wow! It's... A Bombergirl Panic Bomber clone, except not even Panic Bomber?! This is official? That's wild!

Goes to show how little I've followed Bomberman news (not that we get a lot these days). I might try this out. I always wanted to try Bombergirl but was turned away by all the fanservice. I've heard there's less in some more recent release of it anyway, which helps.... What a weird direction this series has fallen into.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, niaco said:

I've heard there's less in some more recent release of it anyway, which helps....

Oh yeah, Super Bomber Man R2, that one is tonally more like the rest of the series. I definitely want to pick it up at some point for some multiplayer shenanigans

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, niaco said:

Wow! It's... A Bombergirl Panic Bomber clone, except not even Panic Bomber?! This is official? That's wild!

Goes to show how little I've followed Bomberman news (not that we get a lot these days). I might try this out. I always wanted to try Bombergirl but was turned away by all the fanservice. I've heard there's less in some more recent release of it anyway, which helps.... What a weird direction this series has fallen into.

It's a fangame, not official. Just so you know. And again, there is a chance I missed something I shouldn't have, hence the edit.

Edited by Agie
  • Thumbs Up 2

Ryannumber1gamer

SadVlad was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 30 points.

Game #36 Hollow Knight (86%)

I started playing this game on a wimb and after 32+ hours I finally decided to beat the end boss because I was trying to savor the moment before I did. Not quite 100% but I'm going to go back to this. I don't even stand a chance at beating Nightmare King Grimm right now but his soundtrack is one of the best bangers I've ever heard in a video game.

To give an idea of the chaos that this battle brings, for anyone who hasn't played this yet, I will leave a link to the song I am referring to. It's an absolute masterpiece. My only dilemma is that I can only hear twelve seconds of it when I do this battle.

IMG_20240423_153407196.jpg

IMG_20240423_153535821.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

Bortificatin was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 30 points.

Well... I was gonna do this game eventually, but given the bonus challenge, I decided it was the perfect time...

Game 8 - Sonic the Fighters (Arcade - SEGA Model 2) [Completed]

Bonus Challenge: Knuckles Week

20240423184007_1.thumb.jpg.7858e0fb4f4976f510b14bfa66fc3141.jpg20240423190651_1.thumb.jpg.4febb7ae6981d5ad37019b3fc96294ee.jpg

Out of the early Sonic spinoffs, I've always had a soft spot for this one. I love the cartoony, Looney Tunes-esque violence (complete with squash and stretch), and in general I love the game's aesthetic overall and wish it was used more often. Short time limits and speedy combat means quick matches, so it's fitting for the series. It's a bit frantic and unhinged, but I like it that way. Also I kinda wanna see Honey make a comeback in the games at some point, as well as Rocket Metal.

Games Finished: 8

Games Completed: 5

Current List:

Spoiler
  1. Fortnite Chapter 5 Season 1 - Finished
  2. Pokemon Violet - Finished
  3. Mega Man - Completed
  4. Akatsuki Blitzkampf Ausf. Asche - Completed
  5. Dragon Ball V.R.V.S. - Completed
  6. Capcom vs. SNK 2: Millionaire Fighting 2001 - Finished
  7. Mega Man: The Power Battles - Completed
  8. Sonic the Fighters - Completed

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3

Ryannumber1gamer

FReaK was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 30 points.

Knuckles week, eh?

Well..knock knock.

I played a lot of Sonic 3 Air on my android phone when I was waiting for appointments and other stuff on the go, so I took the opportunity to finish Knuckles campaign today.

grafik.thumb.png.182b0eb1782c21e82d03b2035567693c.png

grafik.thumb.png.8e49403b86730399416fa420828c87b4.png

As you can see, I did the same thing for Sonic and Tails. (well, I technically still need to do Tails' DEZ, but it's the same as Sonics campaign so..ehh)

There is nothing I could say about Sonic 3. We all know and love it, it's a timeless classic and always a joy to play. :)

I highly suggest you guys to check out the S3Air's android port if you want to play S3 on the go, since it's really good and the definitive way to play Sonic 3 imho.

So my current score now sits at:

Games finished: 6

Games completed: 5

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 3

So  hypothetically... say I were to subject myself to the torture that is Sonic Genesis on the GBA for the event...

Would an all Emeralds run in either mode (Original or Anniversary) be enough for counting the game as completed for the purposes of the event, or would I have to do both runs?

Please don't say I have to do two runs.

Edited by Bortificatin
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

cosmichaos was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 20 points.

I might not be able to get any games finished this week, but I can complete the Knuckles Challenge. I just happened to be playing around with SA2 (again) for fun. 
The Knuckles and Rouge stages just happen to be my favorite, which is apparently unheard of among Sonic fans?? Does anyone else like the treasure hunt stages?7820AEEF-EB4A-4260-B81B-CEC7F54581DC.thumb.jpeg.4cad456529a819f80538d3cd484336fc.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 3

1 hour ago, Bortificatin said:

So  hypothetically... say I were to subject myself to the torture that is Sonic Genesis on the GBA for the event...

Would an all Emeralds run in either mode (Original or Anniversary) be enough for counting the game as completed for the purposes of the event, or would I have to do both runs?

Please don't say I have to do two runs.

Only one run is needed, just remember that there's a same game rule in place, so you can't submit Sonic 1 again if you submit Genesis.

• Thumbs Up 1