Awoo.

[EVENT] The Sonic Stadium 52 Game Challenge 2024! - New Prizes every week! Current Prize: Sonic Battle Profile gift!

Ryannumber1gamer

A new check in is here, and with it - a new prize! 

SG065-SonicRUS.png.91ff187f32114396cae59

Check in this week and you'll earn yourself a Sonic R profile gift on us!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Ryannumber1gamer
This post was recognized by Ryannumber1gamer!

Failinhearts was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

WEEK 10:

Ladies and gentlemen, let's wrap this up shall we?

20240311_200225.jpg?ex=660ab8b1&is=65f843b1&hm=d14f999ddfec6a5fd5585a8a6b694b703a56b510da9bfa3496fd54c188985541&

GAME 54: MARIO BROS. CLASSIC (GAME BOY ADVANCE): 100% COMPLETE

CHOOSE A GAME! MAH-REE-OO BRUDDAHS!

I have played the CRAP out of this game as a kid on my good ol' GBA SP. Whether it's Yoshi's Island, Mario Bros. 3 or Super Mario World, I always took the time to get a few stages in with this little plumbing adventure. Not that I got very far, I always die to those fireballs.

Well today, I made it my mission to make it to the end! Well, relative end. This game technically ends at 99 phases, but its a constant loop at a specific point. So I was allowed to stop at the end of all unique content, aka, the icey cabin.

The game controls a lot better on GBA than it did on the NES. In the NES, the game actively fought you when jumping, as when you take off the ground, there's hardly any further controlling you can do. This makes precise escapes and unforeseen circumstances practically impossible. In this remake, you have more influence in how you jump, making the game much easier to control. It makes the game... y'know, good?

Maybe one day, I'll make it to phase 99. But for now, I sit in satisfaction knowing I made it further than 10 year old me could ever do.

20240311_194953.jpg?ex=660ab8b1&is=65f843b1&hm=de71215f93f1d53b33bda367202b981eebb5563e0441dec3faff5ad8cce97878&

GAME 55: SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (GAME GEAR): 100% COMPLETE

The one that started it all... if you couldn't afford a Genesis at the time. I hardly dabbled in the Game Gear/Master System titles as a kid, even though I had access to them through the Mega Collection, Virtual Console, and whatnot. Here, I finally sat down to not only play it to its end, but gather all the Chaos Emeralds.

This game has a greater sense of exploration and non-linear platforming than its 16-bit counterpart, making speed less of a priority than you'd think. This creates a game that has more in common with the 3DS Sonic Boom titles than it does with the mainline series. In some ways, its refreshing. No tedious ring holding to get to the Chaos Emeralds, no constant retrying of special stages, you just need to know where the Chaos Emerald is in the level, and find it. All complimented by beginning levels that were fun. Green Hill, Bridge Zone, Jungle Zone, all great little platforming romps. I was having a grand old time...

...For half of it. Then the other half showed up: Labyrinth, Scrap Brain and Sky Base. These sucked as these levels are either slow, or confusing. It is very easy to get lost, Scrap Brain ESPECIALLY. And I hate getting lost in video games. So the latter half really affected my mood as I inched closer to the final boss.

Didn't help that my Steam Deck for some reason can't emulate the Master System version, so I was stuck with screen crunch to boot.

I was a fan, and then the game kinda stomped on that quickly. Play the first half and then play something better, is what I'd say.

20240318_001706.jpg?ex=660ab8b1&is=65f843b1&hm=872f2e62c08f99b716344c828dc98f56e35f90f3a4d24d5a2edd3e1b8959fde7&

GAME 56: SKYLANDERS SUPERCHARGERS (PS4): 100% COMPLETE

For the final game I need to complete this challenge, it was fitting I wrap up with one of my favorite games of all time. This is like, my 7th time playing this game as I play it on multiple difficulties on multiple platforms, utilizing my collection of over 300 toys. This time, I got to play it in full via online co-op, as I introduced Ryan to this game, and to this series.

And if you're a Skylanders fan, I bet you're confused why it's this game I love. This is the black sheep of the franchise, the one that took things a step too far, nobody wanted cars in a dungeon crawler. It's Diablo for kids, you don't see a Loot Goblin drifting donuts in Hell. I get it.

Well, I'M into the cars, and the boats, and the planes, dammit! They're fun to control, they toys look great, and as someone who loves Skylanders for the personalization of your individual figures and building an attachment to them like you would a Pokemon, the vehicles are some of the most customizable toys in the franchise.

But even taking the cars out of the equation, I can't help but say there is so much more to make this installment my favorite in the Skylanders franchise.

One, there is this grand sense of finality to this game. Almost like the Endgame to Skylanders. Yeah, Imaginators came out afterwards, but SuperChargers narratively wanted to do a lot, and wrap up multiple threads that previous games only alluded to.

The games always mention this malevolent force called The Darkness, basically the Satan of the Skylanders world. But we never really saw its conscious form. How it spread its influence, how it talked, how it fought, how it has its hands on Dark Portal Masters like Kaos. Here, we finally got to meet it, see his backstory, face it, and even kill it once and for all.

All in a plot about Kaos, one of my favorite villains of all time, finally winning, the Skylanders are on the losing side, and we have so many returning faces. It's the first time since Spyro's Adventure where original NPC Hugo gets to be important to the plot again. Master Eon plays a role beyond a narrator to the player. Deeper cut characters like Cluck from Swap Force's DLC, and Count Moneybone from the 3DS games make a return.

Kaos gets an arc with him, and his butler Glumshanks as he re-evaluates what he wants in life, even if it means cutting off a literal toxic cloud that has been looking over his shoulder. Not unlike his mother in Swap Force. Bro basically renounces his evil religion to pursue what he believes in. It's the last game where he was written well, and they went out on a high note.

The game is the most visually polished in the franchise, with incredibly expressive cutscenes, lip sync that actually matches the dialogue boxes, great lighting, and no expense paid to make sure every Skylander from every game looks and plays great. It's also the last in the series to feature famed film composer Lorne Balfe for the game's score.

Every Skylander is so well balanced, which can't be said for the game that comes after. This is the last game to remember the fun of Skylanders is that it plays completely differently based on who you summon. Its up to you if you wanna keep things consistent, or keep it constantly fresh by buying and swapping characters, experimenting with upgrades and creating good combos with your friends. Especially since this is the ONLY game to have online co-op, further adding to the game's ambition... even if the online co-op is really buggy at points.

Lots of great quality of life improvements too. This is the easiest and cheapest game to complete, only needing a minimum of 4 toys: 3 vehicles and a SuperCharger to see what every level has to fully offer. If you have an old Portal, you can even play digitally, which gets you 2 out of the four off the bat as digital selections. This is the only game where you can revise your skill tree, which is previously something that requires you to fully reset your Skylander, saving you tons of time and ease of mind when making a choice. It has the most fleshed out side content, with a full fledged racing mode and the most in-depth version of Skystones in the series.

I could go on, and on about how much I love this game. But all in all, it's a game that I believe gets too much flack from the Skylanders community where there are worse games to dogpile on in the franchise.

And I wouldn't have picked a better game to complete the challenge with.

GAMES FINISHED: 56

GAMES COMPLETE: 52

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

Agie was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

I guess I'll do my weekly check-in; making some decent progress here and there, but also, it seems my new job allows me to bring at least a small handheld with me to work, provided it can fit in my pocket. I decided to get through the remaining games...whatever they may be.

I started Mega Man & Bass: Challenger of the Future, since that has a fan translation and all. I'll see how I feel about it when I'm done, but I wanted to cross it off my bucket list. Beyond that, though, I'm not making any hard rules; a lot of the games have been whatever I happened to feel like that day.

I do have more games I beat, but before that, the routine look at what I've beaten so far.

On 3/16/2024 at 6:48 PM, Agie said:

1. Super Mario RPG Remake

2. Kaze and the Wild Masks

3. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Fall of the Foot Clan (100%)

4. Mega Man 1

5. Mega Man 2

6. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Arcade Game

7. Twinkle Star Sprites

8. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (100%)

9. Sunset Riders

10. Mega Man 3

11. Mega Man 4 (sequel wars version)

12. Terminator Salvation (arcade)

13. Roll-Chan 5 (hack of Mega Man 5)

14. Kiki KaiKai

15. Roll-Chan 6 (hack of Mega Man 6)

16. Beeny

17. Roll-Chan World (hack of Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge)

18. Roll-Chan: Mini World (hack of Game Gear Mega Man)

19. Duke Nukem 1

20. Roll-Chan World 2 (hack of Game Boy Mega Man II)

21. Earthworm Jim

22. 3D Sonic the Hedgehog 1

23. Duke Nukem II

24. Roll-Chan World 3 (hack of Game Boy Mega Man III)

25. The New Zealand Story

26. Sonic the Hedgehog CD

27. Roll-Chan World 4 (hack of Game Boy Mega Man IV)

28. Momodora

29. Roll-Chan World 5 (hack of Game Boy Mega Man V)

30. Mega Man: The Wily Wars (Wily Tower)

31. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: Back From the Sewers

32. Mega Man: Powered Up

33. Mega Man 7 Restoration + Refit (100%)

34. Mega Man: The Power Battle

35. Duke Nukem 3D: Total Meltdown

36. The Simpsons Arcade (Konami)

37. Jurassic Park Arcade (Raw Thrills)

Alright, with that out of the way, I got a quadruple whammy for us.

38. Boogerman: A Pick and Flick Adventure

It was a dark and stormy night. Eccentric millionaire Snotty Ragsdale takes on a janitorial job at Professor Stinkbaum's lab to investigate a machine that promises to get rid of all the pollution in the world. While on his cleaning job, he accidentally sneezes into the machine. A hand then grabs the power source, and Snotty goes after it...but not before assuming his identity as Boogerman!

Boogerman himself picks his nose and flicks them at enemies, who are often so weak that they die from having a single booger flung at them. But that's not all! He can also burp and fart at his enemies. He can also grab powerups that let him spit mucus at his enemies and burp fireballs. As for his enemies, they make disgusting noises too when jumped on, and even the bosses have lovely names like Hickboy (their words, not mine) and such. The final boss is just as gross as Boogerman himself.

As you can see, this is a very attractive game for only the sexiest people alive on the planet. But the gameplay itself? Well, once you get past all that, what you have is a fun, if fairly standard platformer. It does have some odd quirks, and I ran into a glitch that cost me a life through no fault of my own, though otherwise, I found it to be a fun timekiller.

I should also mention that this game is very well animated for the 16-bit era. I heard the Genesis version is a bit better in this regard, but the SNES version (emulated on the Evercade) doesn't look bad, either.

I do hear the Genesis version is a bit better in the controls department, and the footage I saw saw Boogerman having more voice clips, though they seem mostly the same otherwise.

As for 100% Well, there are plungers to collect and secret areas to find, but the most they seem to do is give you extra plungers (in the bonus areas), and if you have enough plungers, you get an extra life...but I saw no other bonuses. The extra lives can be useful, but it seems like it's another "100% by beating it at all" game.

It's not a bad game to kill a few minutes with...if you don't mind grossout humor.

IMG_20240317_022420.thumb.jpg.089e7c028d20925d96dac3169726ebc1.jpg

39. Mega Man 8

Dr. Wawhee is up to his usual tricks again, using Evil Energy to make his machines stronger. After a fight with a sick bass fish, it's up to Mega Man to stop him once again, because his sister can't do it, apparently. But along the way, he meets a mysterious robot named Duo, who seems to be after this Evil Energy. Things are definitely interesting.

I will say right off the bat that visually, this is probably the best the classic series has looked up to this point. I love the visuals of this game, and I think they hold up even today. Though I will note, I emulated the Saturn version, and while I'll get into it in a bit, I will say the FMVs seem a bit more pixelated on the Saturn version than on the PS1 version.

As for the gameplay, well, it's more Mega Man...but as Failin said, you have to hunt down bolts for more items. I do not get a 100% credit on this, because I didn't find all of them before beating the game. Some of them are a pain to find, not gonna lie.

Also, there are some segments that are JUMP JUMP SLIDE SLIDE, as the joke goes. Still, I will say it's not a bad Mega Man adventure, all things considered...but consider us blessed we live in an age of save states.

Now, for the reason I emulated the Saturn version; exclusive to that release is boss fights with Cut Man and Wood Man. I will say they don't add a whole lot to the game, so if you're playing the PS1, Anniversary or the Legacy Collection 2 versions, you're not missing much, but it's a shame that no future release of the game preserved this content; the only thing keeping it alive is emulation.

I will also state that some songs sound different in the Saturn version from their PS1 counterparts due to using a different soundfont...but Tengu Man deserves mention for having a completely different song entirely. I prefer the Saturn song; the PS1 song isn't bad, per se, but I think the Saturn song suits Tengu Man more.

That said, the game is pretty much the same as its PS1 counterpart otherwise, but I consider the Saturn version the definitive version of the game. I say check this game out, but if you're playing a version that allows it, have save states on hand.

20240317192629_1.thumb.jpg.adb9df10a4f9e5361659e6ee1a886c42.jpg

40. Mega Man 2: The Power Fighters

Released before Mega Man 8, but taking place afterwards, Dr. Wily is up to his usual schemes, and Mega Man, Proto Man, Duo and Bass are up to stopping him!

At its core, it's more of the same as the last arcade entry; a boss rush of different Mega Man bosses up to 7. While it takes place after 8, the only thing I saw representing that was Duo; the bosses remain being from Mega Man 1-7.

I found this game to take a few more credits, but it was still quick. I can see why some would say it's a step backwards from the previous game, though I still had a good time. Like the last game, I did this via Capcom Arcade Stadium 2, and also like last time, you can do much worse for 99 cents.

I do remember doing this via the Anniversary Collection for the last time this was done, too, so...there's that.

2024031720004300-8CCC7819F9EDF513820FE98376A9DBBC.thumb.jpg.2d78071544a946ac14a3e7be12e85864.jpg

41. Mega Man & Bass

A new robot named King is terrorizing humans, and nearly destroyed Proto Man! It's up to Mega Man and Bass to stop him and eight Robot Masters! 

This is a notorious one; while these games are known by many for being hard, this was difficult even by Mega Man standards. The GBA port certainly did the game's reputation no favors, having added screen crunch to the mix without changing the level design to accomodate this; for this reason alone, I emulated a fan translation of the SNES version.

I played as Mega Man for this one, and at its core, the gameplay is still Mega Man. The bolt system from Mega Man 7 returns, and thank goodness because I don't know if I could've gotten through this one; I am convinced some of those items are essential for this game. I used the automatic healing one the most, finding a safe spot just to heal.

The spike protection is also useful, but can only be used once before you have to buy another one. Yeah, you don't even get to keep it to use in another stage. At least one area gives lots of bolts, but I recommend blowing bolts if you haven't already before reaching that area.

And of course, Dr. Wily built King and is up to his old tricks. To be honest, it would've been a bigger shock if Wily had nothing to do with the plot, so that was a bit disappointing, but not surprising.

I did not find all the CDs, so no 100%. Apparently, there's a hack that lets you switch between Mega Man and Bass at will, but I completely forgot about it, and by the time I got reminded, I had already beaten four Robot Masters, so I did not feel like going back.

I can see why most would skip this one...but if you have to play it, play the SNES version, if only because you can see more of what the hell you're doing.

20240318155132_1.thumb.jpg.bb590c779c1db77c2c253bc817d77aa4.jpg

Edited by Agie
  • Thumbs Up 1

Finally time for a proper addition update. As usual, check out the blog posts for thoughts on each game! 

Game 23: Mega Man III (GB) - 100%

Screenshot_20240319_063727_Gallery.thumb.jpg.230f143c659f9894401983122f2148a2.jpg

Game 24 of 52: Mega Man Powered Up (100%):

Screenshot_20240319_063738_Gallery.thumb.jpg.3833572a1dbb867aa57e7b642a95e4f6.jpgScreenshot_20240319_063742_Gallery.thumb.jpg.f32eb374268305cee1d332d798c3778c.jpgScreenshot_20240319_063747_Gallery.thumb.jpg.d83fd215f027c7ade30d1859fc4301bf.jpg

Game 25 of 52: Mega Man IV (GB) - 100%: 

Screenshot_20240319_063755_Gallery.thumb.jpg.8e57aa150bbd82d2f2edcd4f82eadcd0.jpgScreenshot_20240319_063803_Gallery.thumb.jpg.affe8e6d1a686917b878eaf700de3618.jpg

Game 26 of 52: Mega Man V (GB) - 100%:

Screenshot_20240319_063818_Gallery.thumb.jpg.8a590951653f0df0578cbff7508df85b.jpgScreenshot_20240319_063822_Gallery.thumb.jpg.ad87159d03cd6fe8339ac47be4b71632.jpg

Game 27 of 52: It Takes Two - 100%:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/12518-it-takes-two/ryannumber3gamer

(Can verify that @Winston 100%'d it with me)

Game 28 of 52: Skylanders Superchargers - 100%:

https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/3885-skylanders-superchargers/ryannumber3gamer

(Can verify that @Failinhearts100%'d it with me)

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

castell-neath was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 40 points.

Ok, week 10 (!!)

Game no 12 completed - Sonic Spinball (16bit)

Following last week's 8 bit adventure I decided to go back to the far superiour - but not much better in terms of fun - Mega Drive version. 

I really dont like this game much. Never have tbh. It always felt "cheap",rushed and out of place in the cannon of classic games. The animations, The Tornado (?) The amount of blue emeralds, the mish mash of Eggman / Robotnik designs (looks classic, but proportions way off) then looks like AOSTH in the final end sequence. Also the inclusion of SATAM characters in the bonus rounds...including a captured Tails....who just flew Sonic in?? It always felt like a bit of an unofficial game as opposed to a Tentpole Sega / Sonic game.

Those issues aside, it has probably the best, most dramatic, 20 odd seconds or so of intro in a Sonic game seen until Unleashed years later. It also has a catchy intro theme (which I remember reading took them under a day to complete!). Gameplay is also decent. Pinball controls work well, tables / zones well designed and the music is also great. Some bosses are fiddly yet pretty fair and its not so over long that it outstays its welcome. Its really not my favourate sonic game at all...but revisiting it does bring some entertainment and joy so its not all that bad. If i was rating it,I'd give it around 54%.

Away from that...ploughing on with HFW. Completed Faro's tomb, and have just completed 2 more cauldrons. Going to wrap up the 2 outstanding side quests I have before I undertake the main quest "Gemini". Really loving this game!

Photo one.jpg

Photo two.jpg

Photo three.jpg

Photo four.jpg

Photo five.jpg

Photo six.jpg

Photo seven.jpg

Edited by castell-neath
  • Thumbs Up 1

#6/52 - Call of Juarez: Gunslinger (PC)

Finished story mode on hard mode, 100% with all collectibles and skills unlocked. One of the best westerns that isn't called Red Dead Redemption.

20240319094434_1.jpg

20240319095449_1.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Final Fantasy Type 0 HD Platimum https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/3416-final-fantasy-type-0-hd/Rabid-Coot

Surprisingly short for a Final Fantasy game but I guess thats a combo of spin-off and PSP origins. I'm probably missing some additional context with skipping all the 13 stuff but I'm satisfied with defeating an empire by throwing some cards.

Finished: 17 Completed: 17

• Thumbs Up 1

@Ryannumber1gamerJust wondering - I haven’t received my check-in gift from last week yet despite having posted an update? Can you please tell me if I will still receive the Sonic the Fighters gift?

• Thumbs Up 1

59 minutes ago, TheKarmaCollector1994 said:

@Ryannumber1gamerJust wondering - I haven’t received my check-in gift from last week yet despite having posted an update? Can you please tell me if I will still receive the Sonic the Fighters gift?

Prizes haven't been distributed yet, but you are marked down for it, so don't worry.

• Thumbs Up 1

Only one game today, but I wanted to share it.

But first, the usual "games I've beaten so far" list.

On 3/18/2024 at 9:39 PM, Agie said:

4. Mega Man 1

5. Mega Man 2

7. Twinkle Star Sprites

9. Sunset Riders

10. Mega Man 3

14. Kiki KaiKai

16. Beeny

19. Duke Nukem 1

21. Earthworm Jim

23. Duke Nukem II

28. Momodora

39. Mega Man 8

41. Mega Man & Bass

42. Mega Man & Bass: Challenger of the Future

A new robot named Mega Man Shadow has shown up, and with six new Robot Masters in town. Mega Man & Bass must stop him, but he has some connections to a past foe...and surprisingly, Wily doesn't appear even once! He gets a mention, but that's it.

I'm gonna get this out of the way right out the gate; I found this game to be difficult nonsense at many points. But this game has been on my bucket list ever since the day I learned about it, and thanks to a fan translation, I could read the dialogue. The story, while not much to write home about, is unique, if nothing else. The simple fact that, other than Mega Man Shadow mentioning Wily once, Wily has literally nothing to do with it, is enough to at least make it stand out a little bit.

I also have to compliment the fact that all of the Robot Masters here are completely original; no reused content here beyond music tracks from the original Mega Man & Bass. I always appreciate when these old handheld games at least try to stand out from their console counterparts rather than just being a watered-down copy of the console game.

That said, I feel like we don't learn enough about Mega Man Shadow to get attached to him, so I do admit, I didn't feel much. That said, I do feel for the original Mega Man when he says he didn't want this and wishes it could've gone another way.

But back to the gameplay, well, it's more Mega Man, of course, but I swear some areas were designed to be literally impossible to bypass without power-ups, meaning I had to hope I had enough health to tank the hit.

I also feel like unless you're willing to grind, bolts are scarce. At least grinding is an option, but while I got all the items, had I not been willing to grind, I think I would've had less than usual.

The closest thing I could see to getting 100% was getting all the items, which I did, and I got the screenshot to prove it. Mega Man and Bass have their own sets of items, with only some overlap allowed. I got all of Mega Man's, since that's who I played the game as.

This game is apparently non-canon, since Capcom didn't allow a direct adaptation, though I do feel like this game could be canon without contradicting too much. I did appreciate the references to Game Boy Mega Man II, with Quint being mentioned directly, and Mega Man Shadow even looks kinda like him. That said, I only found him slightly more difficult, so...

Would I recommend the game itself? Well...I'm glad I was able to cross it off my bucket list, but unless you're a hardcore fan, I don't think you should lose sleep over this one. Not having Wily involved actually was a nice change of pace, and I appreciate that the game at least has its own identity, but the difficulty keeps me from giving it a wholehearted recommendation.

I just realized; there's only ten more games to go to hit that 52 mark.

20240320225121_1.thumb.jpg.c4df2de3dccde458e1ea8b70eac38d49.jpg20240320230739_1.thumb.jpg.5399a55f526e3013c14bf36f62ca44a6.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Just doing a quick update for the weekly check-in. Still sitting at 15 games... Been engrossed with PvZ Battle for Neighborhoodville again. Been working on a few games on the side, but haven't made much substantial progress.

Update:

So I finally finished FF7 Rebirth's story yesterday. Amazing game, there is still a ton to grind though, so it will take a while for me to do the 100% on this.

grafik.thumb.png.302707db42b782819817ab2fe29217a0.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

Covskin was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 50 points.

Ragnarok has come.

Did you like God of War 2018? Then you'll like Ragnarok, as its more God of War, in every sense of the word. I had a great time, but it is probably a bit too long for a game in this style. Similar to the previous game you get a new weapon about halfway through but aside from that gameplay doesn't really change. Don't get me wrong, it is very satisfying and

Spoiler

Yes, you play as Atreus a few times but he's not really that fundamentally different!

Some of the optional bosses took me many attempts but it was never not enjoyable. The characters and arcs build on the previous game and really are a huge strength. I don't know if it would work so well if the orginal Kratos portrayal wasn't so one-note and seemingly irredeemable but it makes for a good story here.

I do plan on tackling the free Valhalla expansion next, I hear its a mini-roguelike so interested to see how that pans out.

Edit - forgot to update my running total. 10 games finished, 8 of them 100%.

Edited by Covskin
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

Gavvie was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 30 points.

Check in time - shorter one this week because I've spent more time watching Ghostbusters films and getting excited for the new one!

STEAM

Still plugging through Tomb Raider here - currently on St Francis' Folly but gave it up out of frustration when I accidentally jumped sideways off a ledge about halfway through the level, after forgetting to save. Also started a new playthrough of Shatter, which I love and will probably finish.

PLAYSTATION

In terms of progress that would count towards this event, the only game I have played is Star Ocean: First Departure R, but I stopped after about an hour because I got into a new area and I have to grind a bit, which this game seems to be pretty bad at doing. Kinda wish I could EXP boost it a bit to make a bit more headway. I've also been working towards the Platinum for Kingdom Hearts: Melody of Memory as it's a nice little pick up and play game, though I completed this a year or so ago so it won't be counted here if/when I get it.

XBOX

Just the one game played here this week - I finally finished Tunic! As stated last week I'm not counting it for this event as I originally started the game in 2022, but i collected all of the manual pages and the secret treasures so, whilst I'm two achievements away from the full 1000G I'm counting it as 100% done in my head!

I'm going to have another run through Sonic Superstars for my Blue Cross charity stream tomorrow though, so if I manage to finish that I'll update here with it.

And that's it!

• Thumbs Up 1

Games beaten so far.

23 hours ago, Agie said:

4. Mega Man 1

5. Mega Man 2

7. Twinkle Star Sprites

9. Sunset Riders

10. Mega Man 3

14. Kiki KaiKai

16. Beeny

19. Duke Nukem 1

21. Earthworm Jim

23. Duke Nukem II

28. Momodora

39. Mega Man 8

41. Mega Man & Bass

42. Mega Man & Bass: Challenger of the Future

Two games beaten today, two games I will talk about.

43. Earthworm Jim 2

After the events of the first game, Jim is playing his accordion while Princess What's Her Name sits on a Sega logo...or a Nintendo logo if you're playing the SNES version...or a black void of nothing if you're playing the Evercade version. But then, Psy-Crow taps Jim's shoulder to distract him, and then kidnaps Princess What's Her Name! It's up to Jim to save her once again! Hopefully this time she won't be squished by a cow!

The sequel to the original, the platformer areas adds a small bit to Jim's moveset, though it ultimately amounts to the same thing he could to in the original. But this game is also noted for having a variety of things you can do, from an isometric shoot-em up stage, to a level where you're a blind salamder, and Jim's head gets inflated into a balloon because biology.

I say it doesn't stray too far from what it's about, though. I would certainly say it's worth a go. I emulated the Saturn version, but unlike the Sega CD version of the first one, neither the Saturn nor PS1 versions seem to add anything significant to the game; if you had the game on the Genesis or, better yet, the SNES, you didn't have enough reason to get the newer releases. For what it's worth, though, it's not a bad port, and has some slight enhancements, especially in the music, so that alone makes it just slightly better.

This version also lets you switch weapons. The Genesis version didn't allow that, meaning if you got the useless bubble gun, you were forced to use it. Whereas in the others, the weapon switching isn't an issue.

I first played this via the Wii Virtual Console, which had the Genesis version. There is a hidden level, but it doesn't seem to make a difference on how things go in the end, so I'm considering this game complete.

I debate whether or not it's better than the first one; the lowered difficulty is welcome, but the minigames don't always land. But I still say it's worth trying out if you were a fan of the first game.20240321203029_1.thumb.jpg.6fb9729093343c92804d8f588f7c1e55.jpg

44. Mega Man: Battle & Chase

Mega Man, his friends and foes are all racing now! But oh no! Dr. Wily steals the prize money after the first few races! The winner must get it back!

That's the whole extent of the plot that I saw. The gameplay? It's not the worst racing game I ever played, but it's nowhere near the best, either; even at the time, we had Mario Kart 64 and Crash Team Racing, and it pales in comparison to CTR. CTR was also on the same console, too, so it wasn't like the PS1 was incapable of replicating the Mario Kart experience.

It also didn't help that the game didn't come to the US until the X Collection despite being promised in magazines and such, only to be canned due to Sony's interference at the last minute. Though maybe Sony had a point, because other than Mega Man characters, it doesn't really stand out from the crowd.

Also, if you wanna unlock all the parts as one character, you have to race the characters again, only on a harder difficulty. I did not do this, so no 100% credit on this one.

I'd say if you're a Mega Man fan, play it out of curiosity, but if you don't care for Mega Man, this game offers you nothing you can't get from better mascot racers even for the time, let alone now when we have Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and CTR: Nitro-Fueled.

20240321213047_1.thumb.jpg.5e51e9346ebd6b28305448341cf2d1ea.jpg

Edited by Agie
  • Thumbs Up 1

Game #16 MegaMan

This was my first time ever to actually best this game. I will be happy if I never have to fight Yellow Devil ever again.

IMG_20240322_014026899.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Game 17# MegaMan 2. I thought this game was so much easier than the MegaMan 1 with the first eight stages being fairly easy. But I was pulled into a false sense of security by the time I got to the Wily stages. If I never see that boss from Wily stage 4 again, it'll be too soon.

IMG_20240322_091635130.jpg

Edited by SadVlad
Typo
  • Thumbs Up 1

I finished Sonic Superstars 100% with all emeralds and powers

Screenshot_20240322-yuzu.jpg

Screenshot_20240322.yuzu.jpg

Screenshot_20240322_yuzu.jpg

Screenshot_20240322 yuzu.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

Salamander was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 40 points.

Ongoing: Rain World (Switch) - This is a bit of a complicated one to talk about.  I actually finished this game - as the Survivor - a year or two ago?  But I'd always intended to return some day to play the other characters, and watching raocow's ongoing LP of the game reignited a fierce interest in playing this game in me; so, I'm back for just a short time, to finish (again) the vanilla game with the other two playable characters.  I've currently finished Monk, a.k.a. easy mode (though it is a much easier game when you know what you're doing); and am presently struggling through Hunter, a.k.a. hard mode (hellish hard even if you know exactly what you're doing).  I'm hoping to play the Rain World: Downpour content later in the year - if I do, I will make the case for that to be considered as a separate game, since by all accounts it's one of those sequels-disguised-as-DLC.  Proof of Monk completion below, and a Hunter progress shot.

Spoiler

nNbl2sI.jpeg

iWoJz0h.jpeg

PVfGhLD.jpeg

Ongoing: Picontier (Switch) - I forgot to take a progress screenshot from this one, but I've been in a sort of wrap-up phase lately, finishing off various characters' affection quests and plugging away at various forms of completion.  Although I have uncovered more and more strange secrets of the island and its inhabitants, who are by no means what they seem...  Apparently, simply to play this game to the end is relatively quick; but it has become clear that mine is going to be a 100% run, and I'm at more than forty hours in.  It'll be appearing in my Ongoing lists for a time yet!

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, SuperSonicFan Gui said:

I finished Sonic Superstars 100% with all emeralds and powers

Screenshot_20240322-yuzu.jpg

Screenshot_20240322.yuzu.jpg

Screenshot_20240322_yuzu.jpg

Screenshot_20240322 yuzu.jpg

For a quick heads up, Trip’s story and Final Story is considered part of the 100% completion requirements for Superstars, so you’ll need to do that for it to count.

(Game 18) MegaMan: The Power Battles

I assume arcade titles are fair game, so I just beat MegaMan: The Power Battles for the first time. I had heard about this game quite a bit growing up, but this was my first time playing it. Not entirely long, but it's a blast to play. 

IMG_20240322_212249982.jpg

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

For a quick heads up, Trip’s story and Final Story is considered part of the 100% completion requirements for Superstars, so you’ll need to do that for it to count.

Trips story is a workout too. Good luck if you haven't completed it already.

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

TitansCreed was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 40 points.

So, over on YT, we completed Sonic 3D in 2D this week. With even Sotaknuck coming through and commenting on the final upload.

On reflection, I think the game isn't too bad. The bosses inspired by the originals, are pretty easy compared to some of the original mini bosses. An example of this is the video below of the Panic Puppet video. That was a raw recording over two days of nearly 2 hours, managed to edit it down to 45, but even the secret final boss took about 50 minutes to do.

On one hand, I really like the effort to bring Sonic 3D Blast into the 2D gaming area. It's one of my all time favourite titles, but on the other, the 2D level design is  LITTERED with Badniks, and I almost think it would of done better as a Sonic CD inspired game design where it encourages exploration to find the 5 badniks. But thats a whole other story as some people REALLY DISLIKE CD.

Onto completion however. So, to get to The Final Fight, just like in the original you require the seven Chaos Emeralds, the special stages, are for lack of a more comprehensive word, difficult. It feels like they are super fast for no reason and requires a multiple time to practice. My old millenial brain and eyes can barely keep up. However, as the first video shows, we managed that. But 3D in 2D also has achievements for other unlockables like multiple characters to play, like Shadow and Amy (and others, but thats spoiling more than I need)

We also managed time off screen to gather these...

image.png.fa55706730d58b1d39d6f987588ee5e1.png

image.png.56aa751f9e19e26457537907f65bd318.png

image.png.487c79e0f188e686e0ff5d1687fd5f4b.png

image.png.97397bba46e6da3f3dc8a7f20725763f.png

image.png.9ba2d58f5cd2be612267ac31814906ed.png

image.png.5372f95a6f9ea5193b76f9d66adf2e62.png

There is another 5, but again, spoil some of the secret characters. So, I won't show them. But getting most if not all of these done, were pretty crazy. It does leave a bit of content to try outside of the main game, which is more than some fangames. But the only reason I gave this more leeway was because of my love for 3D.

Later today, we start a new series over on YouTube, another fangame, rather than the mainline series (I have yet to play Superstars, so that is scheduled at some point) dating back to 2012, which we'll no doubt talk about next week.

Till then gamers!

• Thumbs Up 2

Ryannumber1gamer

WorksOfMagic was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 30 points.

Updated Game Completion Doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ENT18rQXcoLnvIuqKfLuxfCcvveb5vO1yL5Cbm0oVNY/edit?usp=drivesdk

Another game completed today: Sonic The Hedgehog - Genesis (GBA). Yeah, this was a bit shit... Everything I loved about Sonic 1 is being butchered in the worst possible way. The later levels look unfinished half the time, the soundtrack and SFX are miserable. And the special stages can range from piss easy to "holy shit why are you so hard?".

In other words, don't get near this game. Not even with a 39.5 foot pole.

I'll get back to Sonic 1 one more time with the Taxman remake from 2013 in the near future.

Games completed: 16

Sonic The Hedgehog - Genesis (USA)-240323-142038.png

Sonic The Hedgehog - Genesis (USA)-240323-142049.png

Sonic The Hedgehog - Genesis (USA)-240323-142059.png

Sonic The Hedgehog - Genesis (USA)-240323-142316.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Ryannumber1gamer

WorksOfMagic was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 20 points.

Updated Game Completion Doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ENT18rQXcoLnvIuqKfLuxfCcvveb5vO1yL5Cbm0oVNY/edit?usp=drivesdk

Another game I didn't expect to finish considering the ridiculous achievements is Sonic The Hedgehog 4: Episode I (PS3).

This game has no substance whatsoever. It's as unoriginal as a Sonic game can get. And Sonic Forces wouldn't be that much better either. Good thing the sequel would improve on some of my pet peeves with this game.

Games completed: 17

20240323_153052.jpg

20240323_153122.jpg

Screenshot_20240323_170552_Chrome.jpg

Edited by WorksOfMagic
  • Thumbs Up 1