Awoo.

Mysterious Sonic Adventure Billboard Character Finally Fully Revealed

nuckles87

• Sonic News

Sonic Adventure has its share of secrets, and one eagle-eyed Sonic fans have long been familiar with is the mysterious anthro-girl found on streetside billboards in the final part of Speed Highway. For years, all we've ever had are some low-res, incomplete renders that even made her species unclear:

IMG_9536.jpeg.6ff583fe0858ed969eec4c03dea3acab.jpeg

Now, however, we finally have an idea of what this character is. Former Sonic & SEGA artist Satoshi Okano recently uncovered a bunch of his old sketchbooks, and has begun posting their contents on his Twitter account, with this character being among the first things he tweeted. Introducing "Spider Girl":

IMG_1863.thumb.jpeg.3f222c4619cb09dcc52673eb6fb86258.jpegIMG_1862.thumb.jpeg.6f082f6d2359888f7703caf4731218e3.jpeg

So...billboard girl is a "spider," making her a rare example of non-mammalian Sonic character. Obviously "Spider Girl" isn't really a name, as she's more of an easter egg than a Sonic character. Nevertheless, it's pretty interesting getting this much insight into such an obscure part of Sonic history!

And before anyone asks: "Fly the Bat" isn't really anything Sonic related. He's something Okano drew for himself, and is based off of a SNES racing game he worked on, "Uchuu Race: Astro Go! Go!"

Original Post Content:

View full story

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 2
  • Way Past Cool 1

Kinda neat design, if more old Mickey Mouse than Sonic. I wonder if she'll get any following.

To be completely honest if no one told me I would never guess it her on that billboard.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 2

Given this fandom's love of obscure/canceled characters, I wonder if she'll become a meme in the next few weeks?

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Promotion 1

Just goes to show there's a lot to be found when you really replay and get into a game. I've never seen this before! I wonder if there's anything else hiding inside the Adventure games :0

• Thumbs Up 2

I...don't think I ever noticed this back in the day.

Considering that the internet wasn't really main stream back then, it wouldn't have been pointed out for me too. Wow.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, The Swordsman said:

Hopefully she appears in IDW somehow.

If Sega lets Ian Flynn do it, I'm sure Ian Flynn will do it. It's the kind of thing he does.

• Thumbs Up 7

I never even really noticed this poster, much less the fact it had a character in it. This is beyond cool.

1 hour ago, The Swordsman said:

Hopefully she appears in IDW somehow.

Well, the "unreleased" character with the most official acknowledgement is Honey the Cat (appearing both in a re-release of Sonic The Fighters and the Archie series), and she hasn't managed more than cameos in IDW, so unfortunately, I wouldn't say it's super likely she appears except as a cameo. Also, I'm a little unsure of the legal ramifications - does this character actually belong to Sega?

(Speaking of which, it sucks so much that Honey hasn't gotten a second chance in IDW since she rocked in Archie and is actually a game character, but that's a discussion for another topic...)

Edited by Monkey Destruction Switch
  • Thumbs Up 2

How about "Web the Spider"?

BTW, almost every new character we've gotten lately (especially in the IDW comic) who isn't a villain has been female: Tangle, Whisper, Jewel, Belle, Lanolin, Sage, Trip (and Surge as a bonus).

• Thumbs Up 4

Anybody got anywhere I can find the IDW comics. Started reading then but haven't been able to find the rest. Wish I had somewhere to access them. 

I think these characters are cool. Even tho Fly the Vampire isn't a Sonic character, it still looks like one. I think this mysterious Spider could be a cool character if she shows in the IDW

• Thumbs Up 3

5 hours ago, Johnny2071 said:

How about "Web the Spider"?

BTW, almost every new character we've gotten lately (especially in the IDW comic) who isn't a villain has been female: Tangle, Whisper, Jewel, Belle, Lanolin, Sage, Trip (and Surge as a bonus).

Maybe "Webby?"

• Thumbs Up 3

10 hours ago, Vraptor008 said:

Anybody got anywhere I can find the IDW comics. Started reading then but haven't been able to find the rest. Wish I had somewhere to access them. 

I think these characters are cool. Even tho Fly the Vampire isn't a Sonic character, it still looks like one. I think this mysterious Spider could be a cool character if she shows in the IDW

You can buy them from Amazon. They have paperbacks, awesome hardback collections, and even individual issues.

24 minutes ago, SKSpawn said:

You can buy them from Amazon. They have paperbacks, awesome hardback collections, and even individual issues.

Too cool! Thanks!

I bet she's the inspiration for Rouge, Sega thought she's a cool character and released almost-her next game!

18 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

I never even really noticed this poster, much less the fact it had a character in it. This is beyond cool.

Well, the "unreleased" character with the most official acknowledgement is Honey the Cat (appearing both in a re-release of Sonic The Fighters and the Archie series), and she hasn't managed more than cameos in IDW, so unfortunately, I wouldn't say it's super likely she appears except as a cameo. Also, I'm a little unsure of the legal ramifications - does this character actually belong to Sega?

(Speaking of which, it sucks so much that Honey hasn't gotten a second chance in IDW since she rocked in Archie and is actually a game character, but that's a discussion for another topic...)

Thanks! While I do agree that Forces wasn't really good, I did appreciate how much effort was put into the character creator and with the IDW comics showing Whisper having a friendship with her wisps in her wispon, it inspired me go with the avatar and his Ivory Lightning partner for Sonic related boards despite Forces reputation instead of one the normal avatar I use or a GUN agent.

Yeah Honey's case doesn't bode well, especially when you consider Bark and Bean and the old Sonic band has it even worse. They are not even allowed to perform together anymore in their cameos in IDW. (Tailstube notwithstanding)

4 hours ago, ShadowForever said:

I bet she's the inspiration for Rouge, Sega thought she's a cool character and released almost-her next game!

Could you imagine a Rouge the Bat game... That would be interesting... Just a story that follows Rouge. 🤔

• Nice Smile 2

5 hours ago, ShadowForever said:

I doubt it; the only things in common between the two characters are long eyelashes, lipstick, and droopy eyelids.

Non-mammals aren't THAT rare in the series. Heck everyone in the Chaotix isn't (minus Mighty, if you even consider him part of the group). Plus we just got one in the form of Trip.

11 hours ago, Vraptor008 said:

Way past cool! Thanks a lot!

You're welcome! There is another one featuring Eggman on the cover in the works coming out in Januray so be on the look out for that as well. These have been a Godsend for me since everything is in order.

Man imagine the amount of fanart if this character existed
Hmm actually doesn't matter, the feact they showed up this sketch qualifies as the character existing - there's probably some fanart with her aleady

• Thumbs Up 1