Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW #65 - Reader Reaction & Review

Sonictrainer

Good seeing Knuckles and the Chaotix hang out. Just waiting for the comics to acknowledge their previous relationship now! Maybe a mention of Mighty.

The first story is pretty cute. Some really dynamic art. The joke "it's always Eggman, let's just go to him" would normally feel a bit forced, but the fact Chaotix are in a hurry makes it more natural. His response is a bit more "Boom" than Sega Sonic, but I'll let it slide, it's all for the good fun. I just wish Chaotix story had more cool detective work done, even a second clue is obviously given to them (I would let it slide more if same-day Halloween Special wasn't so... well, that's another review).
BTW Jet and his crew are getting  A LOT of attention lately. Third appearance in a span of what, 2 months? Makes IDW feel a bit small. I wouldn't mind it, but sadly the birds remain on the same level of "just okay" entertainment. And I presume Clutch must have hired them since again, IDW is a bit small. (The only alternative is Rouge).
Still, overall it's an enjoyable snack little story, some simple fun.

Cream... well the art is good. It's good to see Cream again, been a while (900th not counting).
Storywise it's... fine? Can't ask too much from 8 pages (even if some Annuals did it...). IDK, we'll see part 2, so far I'm not hooked. It's mostly there.

• Thumbs Up 2

I rarely follow the comics, they're not really my cup of tea... though they come out so slowly that I often manage to stay up to date with the releases regardless, maybe a couple of months later at worst.

I've read this new issue, and I think it was ok, nothing really to comment on it, aside of maybe that Gemerl scene where he pats Cream's head, it made me laugh a bit.

The only thing I want to comment is not from this issue, it's from a concern for the next one(s). Cream finally appeared again with a bigger role... and...? Is she going to be useless and passive once again like in the Chao Races story? When Rough and Tumble sneaked into Cream's house by saying "we're lucky, finally nobody's home", I thought they were building the setting for a gag where the two thieves would find angry Cream and Gemerl who would kick their butts out the home. Instead, it seems that they successfully entered the house, resisted to Gemerl's attack and... are they really going to kidnap Cream, serious? Two of the weakest villains in the comic, and one of the most OP robots in the series couldn't stop them, plus Cream can't defend herself once again, while she should be able to (I don't know what will happen, but it seems from the cliffhanger that Cream is took off guard and unable to react, especially since the house is burning).

Long story short, I fear that they're still treating Cream as the helpless civilian they recently (de-)developed her into, instead of the hero on par with the other friends of Sonic that she was in the past (at least in the games).

I couldn't care less if it was just the comics, though I'm annoyed because it seems that this is Cream's new role in the new general status quo of the series too, including games, and this is the reason of why she never appears and is never playable even when she does appear. Wouldn't it be better if they just got rid of this idea and turned her back into the character she was in origin, having adventures with Sonic and being capable of fighting just like most other characters? Especially when Charmy (other character as young as her) is shown invading Eggman's base, smashing badniks and having a lot of fun in the process.

A little spoiler of late game content of Sonic Superstars (story, about Trip's role):

Spoiler

In the meanwhile, I feel like Trip is there to take Cream's place, being the "moe" girl, 5th member of the cast, in the new game. Cream couldn't appear in Superstars because of those stupid reasons (too weak, civilian, too dangerous, not classic, too pacifist, etc) that Sega could just ignore or rewrite if they just wanted.

I honestly like Cream more, and wish they would just change the things up for her and turn her more competent again. First Marine, then Sticks, now Trip... I just want them to improve Cream instead of making new characters to fill her place every time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Is Trip trying to become 5th member of Classic Cast? Yes, but it's very presumptuous to imply Cream held that title in Modern Cast. But that's a separate topic.

Honestly, just wait for part 2 before jumping to any conclusions. Rough and Tumble didn't put a finger on Cream, there is no reason to assume they will defeat her. And I'm willing to bet 5:1 they won't kidnap her. It wouldn't work story-wise.

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Is Trip trying to become 5th member of Classic Cast? Yes, but it's very presumptuous to imply Cream held that title in Modern Cast. But that's a separate topic.

It's still too early to know for Trip, though she's the 5th buddy in the context of the game. Cream is not the 5th member of the cast now, but I'm pretty sure she has been for a while, in the time frame included between Advance 2 and Rush 1 (+ Sonic X), let's say 2002 to 2006 more or less. There was Shadow too, but he was less of a 5th member of the group, and more of its own thing, kinda like Fang, if we want to continue the parallel.

Anyway, I know, I should wait, mine is just a concern and not even specifically related to this issue, more about the grand scheme of things. I hope to see some interesting action in the next issue, because, metal virus aside (where she was perfect or almost), I'm mostly disappointed by how IDW handled Cream so far. But hey, at least they keep bringing her back, that's better than the nothing she is getting in the games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Was Cream even born yet during the Classic era?

In-universe, that is. That’s supposed to be the characters in younger ages, so it would make sense why Cream wouldn’t appear in Superstars.

Cream was not introduced in the Classic era, that's why she's not there. You guys get upset about the weirdest things. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Seeing no one ages, yes Cream was born. If you insist on time passage, considering Classic Amy used to be 8, maybe 4 passed. Everyone will deny it, but that's the closest we have (which would been fine for me... except Tails would be 4. Hmm, maybe it's good we ditched ages). Still, 2-year-old toddler Cream could still exist.

Cream canonically has the same age as Charmy, and Classic Charmy theorically should still exist somewhere, since Sonic Channel referenced classic Espio in an artwork. So, retcons aside, I think Classic Cream can exist just as much as Classic Charmy. The main issue of having Classic Cream to actually appear in a classic story is that she and Sonic are supposed to not know each other until their first meeting in Advance 2... again, retcons aside.

Don't forget that along with Cream you must also bring Chao in the classic continuity. Though it wouldn't be the first time that a chao cameoed in a classic media (a twitter post had classic characters and a cameo of Cheese as a joke because of a pun with the name of a shop, if I remember). I think that the chao can appear in the classic setting, but they prefer to not use them for the sake of style consistency (chao are so iconic of 2000's Modern Sonic that they would break the classic feel, probably).

Guys, you are thinking too much about it, so much that it doesn't let you enjoy other stuff from this series. 

And this is coming from someone who does not even care about Superstars. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think I've ever enjoyed Cream as much as I did in IDW, maybe in Archie as well (the Pirate Plunder Panic arc wrote by Yardley), both during the Metal Virus and Chao Races, this particular issue doesn't add much but I'm content Cream is here, I would like to see interactions with her and Blaze to be honest. I really preferred the first story here, but Gemerl cracks me up too.

As for Trip, yeah she is likely taking Cream and Sticks' place as the 5th member, it was Cream's in X, and Sticks's in Boom (although different continuity), and I do think she's much more interesting than both of them, and I like Cream and Sticks, I don't want to turn the post into a Trip appreciation post because this is #65 discussion, but she has a lot more going on, also canon wise, and personality, skills wise.

6 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Seeing no one ages, yes Cream was born. If you insist on time passage, considering Classic Amy used to be 8, maybe 4 passed. Everyone will deny it, but that's the closest we have (which would been fine for me... except Tails would be 4. Hmm, maybe it's good we ditched ages). Still, 2-year-old toddler Cream could still exist.

In that case, she still couldn’t make Cream appear, at least not as someone playable or one of importance.

Not saying that to be a buzzkill, but outside of robots or mystic powers, you’re not likely to have any 2 year olds in this series fighting the stuff they do without stretching a lot of standards.

And guys, I love to overthink, but we gotta make sense—I’m not saying it’s impossible, but a 2 year old Cream isn’t gonna fight the way you know a 6 year old Cream can. I could believe a 4 year old Cream doing it, but all in all, Cream wasn’t included because…she wasn’t included.

And there could be plenty of other in-universe reasons why that’s the case, but much as I hate it being that tautological, that pretty much sums it up.

1) I never implied that 2-year-old Cream should fight Eggman.  I agree this would be ridiculous. I just replied to the question and stated fact about her existence, no more, no less.

2) Iko makes a good point though, Knuckles Chaotix was confirmed canon, so Charmy never aged, meaning Classic Cream would be 6 after all.

3) As much as this topic exploded in heated discussion (unrelated to #65, but still. Maybe mods should separate this). I would like to point out Iko is only person advocating Cream's bigger role in Classic Era. Not sure if anyone noticed that.

57 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

3) As much as this topic exploded in heated discussion (unrelated to #65, but still. Maybe mods should separate this). I would like to point out Iko is only person advocating Cream's bigger role in Classic Era. Not sure if anyone noticed that.

I didn't though? I just said it would be possible if they wanted, as a reply to @CrownSlayer’s Shadow's question. I compared Trip to Cream and Sticks because they all fill a similar role, that's all I did.

By the way, it was not my intention to derail the thread, I already espressed my opinion on #65 in my first two posts, and I don't think the discussion is heated at all besides maybe a couple of posts that I just ignored.

Okay, apologies for slight misinterpretation on my part.

And by "heated" I didn't mean "bad" just "large". It's kinda ironic that only 3 posts were about the issue itself, but your comment sparked numerous replies.

• Fist Bump 1

I gotta admit, I'm very annoyed that after two years of being absent (2022 annual and 900th adventure notwithstanding), Cream finally returns in IDW for a pure fluff story where she's being threatened by the comic's most pathetic villains. Like, I know this arc is more focused on low-stakes stuff, and a more "slice of life" story suits Cream's character (though I'd prefer her to be included in more "action-adventure" stories). But it's very telling that people are more excited for and paying more attention to the Knuckles, Chaotix, and Babylon Rogue's portion of this issue than with Cream, her family, and Rough and Tumble. And I have my doubts that the next part of this story is going to do anything truly compelling with Cream. My prediction: Cream cries over the dinner getting ruined and her sobbing fills Rough and Tumble with guilt, whereupon they help Cream remake the dinner. If any ass-kicking occurs, it's strictly delivered by Gemerl with Cream simply watching from the sidelines.

I guess I should just be happy that Cream got her own story at all, let alone appear in the comic again. But the Metal Virus Saga did such a good job with Cream even if I had my nitpicks that I really thought that IDW would finally do her character justice after the bullshit that was the Archie Reboot. But then "Chao Races and Badnik Bases" badly dropped the ball on Cream, despite that story's premise suggesting she'd be even more important than in Metal Virus. Then the comic ignores Cream for roughly two years. And once the comic decides to use Cream again, it's for a nothing-story where her role is to prepare for dinner and be harassed by the lowest tier villains... And for all we know, Cream won't appear in the comic for another two years, save for the upcoming "Winter Jam" special. But I just know for certain Cream will get to do nothing and be overshadowed by the other characters in that special, because of course she will. Who the fuck cares about Cream when freaking Big the Cat is there, and he should contribute to the story more?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

2) Iko makes a good point though, Knuckles Chaotix was confirmed canon, so Charmy never aged, meaning Classic Cream would be 6 after all.

I just wanted to add that I didn’t know Chaotix was now confirmed canon. Kinda puts a bit of a snag in the continuity regarding age, but not to the extent of Two Worlds.

So I can see where Iko’s coming from in that front.

Cream just played a decent role in the 900th adventure special too. And she actually contributed there. Also she was in the 2022 Annual special before that.

It may have been a while since we've seen her, but she's still around.

• Thumbs Up 1

Y'all gotta understand that with the huge cast of characters this series has to juggle, some are simply going to wait a long time before they get their spotlight.

This is literally the first story arc where Knuckles has had a major role since the 1st year of the book in 2018, six years ago. I think he is much more need of screen time than Cream, who regardless of how you felt she was utilized at the time, has had far more appearances.

This is what having an "game centric" series means that some characters are gonna have to wait their turn for a few months.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Cream just played a decent role in the 900th adventure special too. And she actually contributed there. Also she was in the 2022 Annual special before that.

It may have been a while since we've seen her, but she's still around.

I acknowledged both of those lol And I do appreciate the 900th adventure special for trying to have Cream contribute. Though I do feel that Cream needing Blaze's assistance in flying them to the portal seriously undermined said contribution; Cream's able to lift Amy and Big, who alone weighs 616 pounds, into the air no problem but struggles with Blaze and Sonic? But regardless, in the actual main comic, Cream was just gone. We had Amy go on a camping trip and not even bother inviting her best friend, and pretty much every other character except for Knuckles, Blaze, Shadow, and Big had been enjoying regular appearances. But of course, Urban Warfare and this current arc have given Blaze, Shadow, and Knuckles excellent spotlight to compensate for those lengthy absences. And I'm rather miffed that Cream's own spotlight after her absence is very dim by comparison. Like, so dim that Cream may as well be performing on stage in complete darkness.

1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

Y'all gotta understand that with the huge cast of characters this series has to juggle, some are simply going to wait a long time before they get their spotlight.

This is literally the first story arc where Knuckles has had a major role since the 1st year of the book in 2018, six years ago. I think he is much more need of screen time than Cream, who regardless of how you felt she was utilized at the time, has had far more appearances.

This is what having an "game centric" series means that some characters are gonna have to wait their turn for a few months.

I very much understand that. The game cast alone is really big, and the comic having its own cast of heroes really compounds this issue. All the same, though, is it too much to ask that the writers try juggling the cast a bit better? I know I'm no longer alone in feeling that the comic exclusive heroes are overused. And maybe we could lighten up on the "Sonic and Tails" stories? I can't be the only one wanting for Tails to be paired up with literally any other character than just Sonic. Or if we gotta keep giving the comic exclusive characters their spotlight, maybe have them pair up with the game cast instead of each other. Metal Virus had Cream share an emotional moment with Whisper, why not give those two an adventure together to further explore their dynamic?

And I'll admit that Knuckles' presence in IDW has been very lacking, and he's due some serious page time to compensate. But at the very least, you can count on Knuckles to have a major presence in the games and other media. Just saying, you starved for Knuckles content? You got Sonic Frontiers, which had an animated short focused on Knuckles and made him playable around a month ago. The Sonic 2 movie, which has Knuckles as a main character (and a TV show about Knuckles is due to come out). Sonic Prime has variants of Knuckles in fairly major roles. And Sonic Superstars just came out with Knuckles playable from the get-go. Meanwhile, I can't even trust a racing spin-off to acknowledge Cream's existence, nor a visual novel taking place on the birthday of Amy Rose (y'know, Cream's BFF) to include her. IDW is pretty much the only thing willing to utilize Cream at all, and yet Metal Virus was the only story that tried anything meaningful with her.

• Thumbs Up 1

Won't the upcoming Winter Special be about Team Rose (as well as Omega and Rouge, two other characters who mostly get to exist next to Shadow)?

I suppose IDW could do an even better job at juggling characters (I thought Tails could get a bit less), but it's clear they are trying. And ultimately writing good stories is more important than giving everyone equal screen time.

For me it comes down to one obvious truth: we rrrrrrrrrrreally need Sonic Universe again.

5 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Won't the upcoming Winter Special be about Team Rose (as well as Omega and Rouge, two other characters who mostly get to exist next to Shadow)?

It will be, yes. But like I said in my first post, I just know that Cream is going to be overshadowed by the other characters in that special because, well, she's sharing those pages with Sonic, Tails, Amy, Big, Rouge, and Omega. If Cream could get the shortest end of the stick in terms of "story importance/contribution" in 'Chao Races and Badnik Bases', what hope does she have in a story with those characters involved? Big alone I know is going to be the ultimate scene stealer for Cream, just as he was in the Archie Reboot. The writers have given me no faith that they'll actually let Cream stand out in a story with more "popular" characters involved, Metal Virus being the singular exception thus far. But even then, I still feel that Gemerl stole much of the attention from Cream in her most major moments in MV.

1 hour ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

I very much understand that. The game cast alone is really big, and the comic having its own cast of heroes really compounds this issue. All the same, though, is it too much to ask that the writers try juggling the cast a bit better?

Its not too much to ask, but I don't see what else they can possibly do at this point. The Urban Warfare arc was already struggling with character focus with its abundance of characters, to the point where the arc suffered for it due to how all over the place it was. 

In trying to accommodate every single character, the writing stars to suffer due to a lack of focus; Urban Warfare is ostensibly about the Neo Diamond Cutters and the resulting tension that ensues between Lanolin, Tangle and Whisper but that only gets scant focus because we have to cut back to the other characters bashing up robots for 2-3 pages. The climax of the arc isn't even focused on them, but Shadow, and look, while I love him being all badass, he really didn't need to be in this arc to begin with. And I don't feel its worth sacrificing the plot just to appease a character's fanbase. 

Unless they start making more mini-series for other characters, I don't think there's much else that can be done and even that would spread even more resources thin. This was solved in Archie with Sonic Universe being able to focus on all of the secondary characters and even then, some characters just never got their chance. IDW doesn't have an equivalent, so we just have to get what we can get here. 

I honestly think you need some perspective; you're not the only person who's been clamoring for their favorite character to get the spotlight and its a bit presumptuous to think Cream is getting the shortened of the stick when, once again, Knuckles has been MIA for almost the entire run of the book.  To say nothing of the rest of the cast who sat out all of the 2022, who only recently came back after the Surge and Kit arcs. 

• Thumbs Up 2

5 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I honestly think you need some perspective; you're not the only person who's been clamoring for their favorite character to get the spotlight and its a bit presumptuous to think Cream is getting the shortened of the stick when, once again, Knuckles has been MIA for almost the entire run of the book.  To say nothing of the rest of the cast who sat out all of the 2022, who only recently came back after the Surge and Kit arcs. 

Or those of us who lost everything back in Archie years ago. TWICE over.

You guys have any idea what I'd do to get Conquering Storm back in this bitch?