Awoo.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door REMAKE - Coming 2024!

Ryannumber1gamer

Announced during today's Nintendo direct, a faithful remake/remaster of the beloved Mario RPG is FINALLY coming to Switch in 2024! Featuring fully remade graphics and a faithful remake of the battle system and everything everyone loved about TTYD, and coming hot off the heels of the Mario RPG remake, it seems like Nintendo's finally realised how much people want these franchises back!

• Thumbs Up 1

Can I just say how absolutely stoked I am to see the art style that they chose for this remake? In the back of my mind, I was worried that any pipe-dream Paper Mario remakes would use the ugly cardboard aesthetic of games like Origami King and Colour Splash. But there are no white outlines, or obnoxiously over-done "everything is paper" jokes here. They took the original and made it look better. That's all they needed to do. 

I'm so excited! This little Mario RPG renaissance is fantastic. With any luck, it'll pave the way for new instalments that are actually worth playing. 

• Thumbs Up 3

While I'm not nearly as big a TTYD fan as others are (the backtracking is some of the worst I've ever experienced in a video game, so much so that it actually ruined the game for me), the fact that Nintendo acknowledges the fervor people have for TTYD--and by extension, the RPG-style Mario games in general--is a VERY good sign. Between this and the Super Mario RPG remake, we might just be on the cusp of a resurgence of Mario RPG games, and I couldn't be more excited.

Legit, though, if they fix the excessive backtracking--JUST that--I will gladly shell out 60 bucks for this. That is legit all I ask of them.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

...if they fix the excessive backtracking...

The map design is too linear to fix such a thing...

They would need to overhaul the areas drastically in order to do this thing.

16 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Hooktail looks like she's made of cardboard...

But that's about it.

Literally everything looks like cardboard/papercraft.

Anyway this is neat for the people who have been hoping for it but I can't say I'm excited. If it was PM64 maybe, the game could've used the update to bring it more in line with TTYD's refinements, but this'll probably be 99% identical to the original and I've played that enough. I'm more likely to scratch my Mario RPG itch with SMRPG, and it's not even a big enough itch that I'm guaranteed to get that game.

• Thumbs Up 1

They really want to shut fans up about nonexistent mandates, didn't they? These two remakes, on top of Peach Showtime's characters

8 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Literally everything looks like cardboard/papercraft.

Anyway this is neat for the people who have been hoping for it but I can't say I'm excited. If it was PM64 maybe, the game could've used the update to bring it more in line with TTYD's refinements, but this'll probably be 99% identical to the original and I've played that enough. I'm more likely to scratch my Mario RPG itch with SMRPG, and it's not even a big enough itch that I'm guaranteed to get that game.

Paper Mario 64 is also more readily available on consoles, and has been on Virtual Console since at least the Wii era. Not that I disagree that N64 could definitely use the upgrade, it certainly can.

But The Thousand Year Door is just straight up inaccessible to anyone not willing to go down the emulation train. It's become one of the rarest and more expensive GameCube titles for years, and at least where I stand, it's impossible to get it for less than £100 bare minimum. In terms of refinements, true it's hard to know how far they'll go, but TTYD is easily the title in the series that needed a re-release and being made more accessible compared to 64, which is re-released plenty, even on Switch, Super Paper Mario, which is relatively dirt cheap to buy, and the other three titles don't have nearly enough desire to drive their prices up, even after the EShop closure (not yet, at least).

While N64 definitely needs the upgrade, TTYD just needs the general re-release. Especially for the game that's lauded as the Mario RPG by most people.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1

15 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Whilst PM64 might benefit more from a remake as a game, I think that going for TTYD instead of the better move here. Not only is TTYD the fan favourite, it's also far less accessible. And... 

-

At this point @Ryannumber1gamerhas just made a post covering everything I was about to say so I'll just leave it at that. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Mixed on the art style, personally, I prefer the pop-up book/stage play look of the originals but I think this is a nice medium. Origami King and Color Splash looked fine but thought it was kind of obnoxious how in your face they are about everything being papercraft when that wasn't really the point of the older games. Glad it also looks like they're not fucking with the battle system or any other concerns I had about IS revisiting the older games after how OK and CS put me off.

Still crazy they announce this just as Super Mario RPG remake is around the corner.

Great announcement. Definitely about time that TTYD became accessible after being locked to the GameCube for 20 years, and I think the artstyle is about where it ought to be. Nice middle ground between the original game and the more technically sophisticated newer stuff. Between this and SMRPG, I'm taking this as a sign that Nintendo is taking Mario RPGs as a whole more seriously. Fingers crossed that whatever comes after this is also a proper return to form.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, ZinogreVolt said:

Great announcement. Definitely about time that TTYD became accessible after being locked to the GameCube for 20 years, and I think the artstyle is about where it ought to be. Nice middle ground between the original game and the more technically sophisticated newer stuff. Between this and SMRPG, I'm taking this as a sign that Nintendo is taking Mario RPGs as a whole more seriously. Fingers crossed that whatever comes after this is also a proper return to form.

If we got a Mario & Luigi collection to complete the trio, then we'd really be having a party.

Ah, one of the few turn-based games I can say I am absolutely stoked for!

Haven’t even watched the the trailer, just hearing this is good news enough!

Mostly worried that this is 30fps. Bowser's Inside Story on the 3DS also cut the framerate in half for no reason (Superstar Saga's remake was 60fps like the original). If it's not just the video then superguarding is gonna be hell in this version.

• Thumbs Up 2

I was hyped on announcement but I'm also like ehhhh I've played it many times before. Which is kinda dumb cause I'm still dummy hype for the Mario RPG remake. Looks great tho, kinda crazy its an official product.

Also very happy for a friend of mine that said "I'll finally get to play it" so thats great.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'll admit the news made excited. But after looking at the trailer, all the memories started flowing back, and I find myself with the feeling as SMRPG.

While I admittedly replayed TTYD far less than SMRPG, I can still recall the main story beats, and probably would remember all badge locations as I get near them.

I'm not sure I'll bite this one either. But I'm happy for those who will experience it for the first time. It's not SMRPG, but it's right below as #2 for me.

Gonna try not to get my hopes up and just count my blessings that this exists at all, but I hope this and SMRPG are part of Nintendo working their way back to Mario RPGs actually being RPGs again, and not key jingling simulators.

Wasn't sure about Mario RPG remake but I'll be in this day one barring some huge technical issue or artistic change we don't know about. I'm also buying this for other people. Because everyone needs to play this game.

On 9/14/2023 at 4:06 PM, PC the Hedgehog said:

Legit, though, if they fix the excessive backtracking--JUST that--I will gladly shell out 60 bucks for this. That is legit all I ask of them.

On 9/14/2023 at 4:10 PM, StaticMania said:

The map design is too linear to fix such a thing...

They would need to overhaul the areas drastically in order to do this thing.

I think it could be done by increasing how far away you have to go for enemies to respawn (since they're what makes the backtracking so tedious), but naturally they'd need to re-balance something somewhere to make up for the star points you miss out on compared to the original if that was the case.

On 9/14/2023 at 6:41 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

If we got a Mario & Luigi collection to complete the trio, then we'd really be having a party.

No idea how that would really work since most of the games are on dual screen hardware, but I suppose that's all the more reason to try and bring them back. Not sure who would do it since AlphaDream's not around anymore, but I barely need an excuse to play Superstar Saga for the trillionth time.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 5 months later...

As part of Mario Day, a few release dates were revealed!

fdd5d8ca46d7ea4e45397ae560e807742de2d7d7

PMTTYD will release on May 23rd!

Edited by Sonictrainer

• 3 weeks later...

Today, we get to see the remade Prologue Cutscene

Our story begins an awfully long time ago in a strange and far-off land. Experience the grand adventure and thrilling battles when the Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door game launches on the Nintendo Switch system May 23, 2024.

• 5 weeks later...

New Overview Trailer

It’s Mario, and he’s...uh, paper?! Leaf through a storybook world made of paper as you set off to find legendary treasure! Team up with a colorful cast of charming characters, battle in epic scraps against shadowy foes, harness paper abilities to find surprises around every fold, and more! Jump into a page-turning adventure in the Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door game, launching on the Nintendo Switch system May 23, 2024. Pre-orders are available now on Nintendo eShop.