Awoo.

Why Silver needs Blaze

batson

I have this huge retool of Silver's origins and his connection to Blaze and stuff in my head, which would take a whole retooling of Sonic 06 as a whole. Basically, Silver is descended from a long line of great warriors that have been the Royal Guards of Blaze's family for generations. Some even married into the royal family as well, with a child from another family becoming the Royal Guard of their children, continuing the lineage without merging the guards with the Royal Family completely.

But in the future, with the flames of disaster and stuff, Blaze's kingdom is wiped out, leaving only the heir alive and killing their bodyguard, which orphans a baby Silver, who grows up with the heir as his hero and role model, Kyle Reese and John Connor style, in a "resistance" of sorts looking for a way to defeat Iblis and bring peace to the future. They eventually find a way to go into the past and prevent the disaster from happening, with Silver volunteering to go, hoping to restore his family's honor.

But then after the events of a retooled Sonic 06, he discovers he can't return to the future anymore since he can never exist in a future where the disaster never happened, even if his all his friends can. He accepts this as his friends can live a happy life in a future without him. He then decides to stay and become Blaze's Royal Guard (they'd eventually grow a strong bond over the course of the retooled 06 for this to happen). Paradoxically CREATING the very line of Royal Guards he descended from, starting with him.

It's stupid and convoluted, but I just felt like sharing it.

2 hours ago, StaticMania said:

That...doesn't seem very cool.

He could just...live in the past, constantly coming back from the future is tiring. He's never said to have any relationships in the future and we never get to see it beyond ruin, so nothing is lost if he just stays in the past permanently.

Absolutely not. The entire gimmick behind Silver is lost if he stays in the past. Then he'd really just be this aimless fish out of water with no real place or purpose who is just "there" for no reason and pops up at random. He either needs to become more of an "all eras" time travelling hero that properly corrects mistakes in the time stream without it being so incredibly vague and with some actual deductive reasoning and problem solving behind it, or he needs to learn how to face his own problems in the fuure head on and just deal with it, which was always he answer they had Silver reach at the end of his stories anyways before thy freak out and reset things again because they can't think of any different way to handle him.

All of the other major Sonic characters have set ups built to where any one of them could stand strong on their own for an arc except for him. He needs to get set up and changed to same way without chaining anyone else to him or he's not worth the time and needs to stay gone. As it stands now, Silver is just feels like every single bland anime protagonist who is wishy-washy and barely thinks, believes anything anyone tells him and doesn't have much of any character motivation aside from "I gotta save the world by any means necessary, I guess" and can't really carry a story on his own, so he has to have someone else be around to drawn people in and try to make him seem better. It's irritating.

4 hours ago, Almar said:

I think that's a sign that ST's a bit too invested in this "teams and team-ups" shtick. Blaze and Silver aren't really treated as characters who can carry and finish plots on their own. At least not anymore if ever.  Blaze wasn't in Forces but Silver like the rest of the Resistance went 6 months without making serious progress in reclaiming land meaning if he's not paired with Blaze he can only be extra muscle. Not a serious protagonist.

That honestly has nothing to do with anything. Forces just had an overly broad premise without much runtime, detail, and experience to go into it.

Silver and Blaze's problem as characters is that they're too context sensitive to utilize without writing the story around said context. A simple handwave can do a lot to explain away their appearances, but then you get things like Generations where they're just...there. It's certainly not a problem exclusive to them, but it's still pretty apparent. 

4 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

Silver and Blaze's problem as characters is that they're too context sensitive to utilize without writing the story around said context. A simple handwave can do a lot to explain away their appearances, but then you get things like Generations where they're just...there. It's certainly not a problem exclusive to them, but it's still pretty apparent. 

That is very true. Better or worse than Shadow?

2 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Wait, but wasn't Silver only in generations at all due to the timefuckery? He explicitly wasn't at the birthday party in the beginning.

13 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

Wait, but wasn't Silver only in generations at all due to the timefuckery? He explicitly wasn't at the birthday party in the beginning.

It was literally never explained (as with everything else in the story), he just shows up and that's that

45 minutes ago, thumbs13 said:

31 minutes ago, Kuzu said:

It was literally never explained (as with everything else in the story), he just shows up and that's that

He does express confusion at what's going on when first approached, as I recall.

4 hours ago, DabigRG said:

That is very true. Better or worse than Shadow?

I'd argue their all in the same boat but Blaze Is better off than both because silver and shadow are still the most divisive characters in the series.

3 minutes ago, Robojerk said:

I'd argue their all in the same boat but Blaze Is better off than both because silver and shadow are still the most divisive characters in the series.

I meant from an flexibility for writing standpoint, but noted.

9 hours ago, Waveshocker Sigma said:

...who is just "there" for no reason and pops up at random.

Like he is now?

It's the perfect stagnation and...unfortunately doesn't really give me a reason to take back what I said.

10 hours ago, Robojerk said:

...are they? I honestly don't think so anymore

Just now, Shadowlax said:

...are they? I honestly don't think so anymore

Alot of detractors on 4chan and restera.

Just now, Robojerk said:

Alot of detractors on 4chan and restera.

Reset era even on that forum about the character when there are threads there a lot of defends but also should not be a model reflective of the sonic fanbase or ANY fanbase. Its a form of hyper enthusiasts usually older and many of them will tell you themselves. And 4chan is a bunch of weirdo's who just shit on shadow because memes, but again isn't reflective of the larger fanbase.

In reality the larger fanbase generally either likes or is ok with shadow and is starting to become much more ok with silver. The people who don't like them, aren't going to like them, but it is been demonstrated to be no where near enough to keep them out of games. And with the recent seperation of the classic and modern it has kind of taken a lot of shadow and silvers divisiveness away. That took a lot of the people who didn't like them away because it turned out they didn't even want to be involved with 3d shit at all and now they have options and given the characters are still around there weren't a lot of them.

The divisiveness I think happened because a lot of those characters fans, when the no friends shit started happening, were kids or young teens. And then they grew up and they have younger siblings or kids themselves and they and the younger folks like those characters. The period between 2006 and 2008 saw a bunch of adults convince people of some shit about the sonic series that was never really reflective of its larger younger audience. And we are now seeing a lot of backlash to that , because those people grew up and can talk. And are exposing how small that group of adults really were.

• Thumbs Up 1

Shadow and Silver were undoubtedly the biggest breakouts of the last decade, but the divisiveness came from between classic and modern fans at the time. The former were really vocal about their hatred for them since they felt like Sonic, the main character, wasn't being given his due since all of the focus was on Shadow and Silver. And you can see that on this site with the one or two users who refuse to acknowledge the two as major characters because of that.

Those classic fans are adults now and have Mania, so they just went there. Most of Shadow and Silver's fans were young kids back then, and are now old enough to speak out against the backlash the characters recieved.