Awoo.

[MT] Sonic Frontiers DLC: Sights, Sounds and Speed [Achievements Chat Also Goes Here]

Dreadknux
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

The Achievements Hunt is now over, but please continue to share your screenshots and experiences with the rest of the Sonic community!

Dreadknux
This post was recognized by Dreadknux!

Ridiculous Raymar was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Audio Archaeologist - Unlock a song by collecting Sound Memory tokens and share your discovery with the Community!' and 30 points.

Audio Archeologist!✅

A Peak Song!💯

34f818c1-4469-4d99-afa4-2fdb32f7280a.png

Dreadknux

Blueknight V2.0 was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Starfall Snapper - Take a Photo in Sonic Frontiers' Photo Mode and share it with the Community!' and 30 points.

Starfall Snapper & Audio Archeologist is a GO!

SONICFRONTIERS_20230323154736.thumb.png.2cb351f3878d4266361ea97b91753b08.png

Spoiler

SONICFRONTIERS_20230323154940.thumb.png.caca0087e8159ef6b3bd92086b310eef.png

Oh, and concerning the Jukebox. I personally find some of the tracks to be rather unfitting for the games tone. At least for kronos island.

Spoiler

Although Kingdom Valley & Deep Woods fit pretty well for kronos!

However, it wasn't until I got to ares island where I started seeing the music start to be more fitting to the game.

Spoiler

Mainly just Arid Sands - Day, Dusty Desert and basically Let the Speed Mend It (despite it being called something else) so far. But I did save Reach for the Stars for Starfall Events...which I imagined would remain unchanged after disabling the slot machine soo...yeah, that's a thing.

I attempted to change the music with Giganto but...I only had 2-vocal songs unlocked at that point, and I felt neither one would fit.

Dreadknux

fia was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Starfall Snapper - Take a Photo in Sonic Frontiers' Photo Mode and share it with the Community!' and 30 points.

Starfall Snapper

Spoiler

20230324002544_1.thumb.jpg.571727ca3661256c9b8b9646f31cd60e.jpg

Boss Battler

Spoiler

SonicFrontiers(2).thumb.png.88d865c0437d320b3781bb84ae3003f9.png

Audio Archaeologist

Spoiler

SonicFrontiers(3).thumb.png.a057b6122f352690798809b168f9abee.png

will probably go through the cyberspace gauntlet and the 'all islands' boss rush when i get the chance later today 😛

Dreadknux

Ducktor Naldush was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Audio Archaeologist - Unlock a song by collecting Sound Memory tokens and share your discovery with the Community!' and 30 points.

unlocked a song for the Audio Archaeologist badge

Spoiler

It kinda blows that you can't play these during the boss battles, very lame

spacer.png

Dreadknux

KBON India was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Starfall Snapper - Take a Photo in Sonic Frontiers' Photo Mode and share it with the Community!' and 30 points.

Here's my shots from Photo Mode of Sonic Frontiers! Hope you will like it!

https://twitter.com/KrishnaKBON/status/1639228448332988417?t=MLqNjb5LcWjNZBwC3GJuhg&s=19

Just completed the music collection, if I can snap a shot I’ll post this later.

But I just wanted to say that this free addition was a such a well tuned quest (if you pardon the pun).

Personally, I found it really invigorating to speed demon my way around Starfall again collecting more things and listening to classic tracks along the way, a lot of these really fitted the vibe too.

So, great job on this Sonic Team. I love traversing the world anyway, but excuses to bring me back for more are always welcome. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

fink was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Cyber Space Speedster - Complete the Cyber Space Challange and share your score with the Community!' and 30 points.

Finished up the Cyber Space Challenge. S ranked everything and it feels super satisfying. Great addition to the game!

Gonna go for Boss Rush next, but honestly my combat skills are definitely not as refined as my platforming skills lol. 

1237320_20230324200114_1.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

castell-neath was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Audio Archaeologist - Unlock a song by collecting Sound Memory tokens and share your discovery with the Community!' and 30 points.

Ok, challenge 1...jukebox. I do love Wave Ocean

20230325_132856.jpg

Challenge 2...photo mode  Sonic and a Koco with a dramatic backdrop

20230323_162418.jpg

Challenge 3 - cyberspace attack. Pretty happy with that!

20230325_132547.jpg

Challenge 4 - boss Rush. Urgh. Could do better on the last 2

20230325_131159.jpg

Dreadknux

Shilvanic was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Audio Archaeologist - Unlock a song by collecting Sound Memory tokens and share your discovery with the Community!' and 30 points.

Good afternoon, here are my photos of combat mode, time trial mode, photo mode and the music box live ando learn

Screenshot_20230325-133054.jpg

Screenshot_20230325-133051.jpg

Screenshot_20230325-133059.jpg

Screenshot_20230325-133046.jpg

Dreadknux

Strickerx5 was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Starfall Snapper - Take a Photo in Sonic Frontiers' Photo Mode and share it with the Community!' and 30 points.

This seems like good fun so I figured I'd hop into the update and playa round with it for a bit.

Challenge 1-  Starfall Snapper:
I tried to mimic this raw af shot from one of the trailers.

FsEybL4XoAIJPEW?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Camera fought against me with some angles and it was actually pretty damn difficult to get both the Titan and Sonic into an even remotely close position to it but I'll let y'all be the judge of how well I did.

finaltry.png

(shot without the piss filter)

Spoiler

finaltryalt.png

Also wanted to throw in some other nice shots I took in the process:

Spoiler

other1.png

other2.png

other3.png

other4.png

Challenge 3- Boss Battler:
Tried my hand at one of the boss rushes. Don't think I'll do many more as these aren't really my jam (nor are general time attacks these days) but it was fun and a great addition to the game. Particularly good for going back and playing through the super sonic fights without save swapping like I've been doing.

20230325190910-1.jpg

Challenge 4- Audio Archaeologist:

Someone at ST knows exactly what's up adding this gem:

Spoiler

20230325190938-1.jpg

My inner mid to late 00s dark age fanboi is very happy right now. The tracks selected for this in general were great imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

Arcade Racer CC14 was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Starfall Snapper - Take a Photo in Sonic Frontiers' Photo Mode and share it with the Community!' and 30 points.

Here's my Achievement shot rundown:

Starfall Snapper:

3S7MSva.jpeg

Not super great at picking perfect photo opportunities, so decided to go for an up-close-and-personal view of my favorite move to use in Sonic's skill set, the Cross Slash.

Cyber Space Speedster:

08snhJz.jpeg

Would've been a perfect Kronos run if not for...well, you know. I already squeezed the blood from THAT stone in the main game, though, so I've got no interest in repeating the grind for a side mode.

Boss Battler:

obSAc2Q.jpeg

THIS I could do, though. (Once I looked the input for the Cross Slash up again. I'm rusty and the skill tree menu isn't included in Boss Rush.)

Audio Archeologist:

Teash89.jpeg

Lastly, I unlocked musical PEAK. This is what I'll be running around the Starfall Islands to from now on. (Though, I REALLY wish the music didn't fade out when facing a Boss or while on the menu. A lot of these tunes would make the former even more hype.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Mulling over the full list, I do think the Juke Box music selection is pretty thoughtful overall, but there's definitely a few oddities I'd change:

The Sonic 3 & Knuckles music is cute, but honestly for casual Sonic nostalgia types, they just aren't as iconic as the Sonic 1 and 2 songs, so I think if they were going to include them they should have used modern remixes to better suit having them playing alongside modern Sonic gameplay.  Angel Island could have used the SSBB remix and finally have that alongside real Sonic gameplay for the first time ever, which would have been delightful.  Mushroom Hill could have used the Generations remix. And... well, Sky Sanctuary DOES include a Generations remix as another track, so the original feels a little redundant.

Considering they included both the original two songs of Seaside Hill and Ocean Palace contained within, I think it would've been smarter to use Seaside Hill Act 2 from Sonic Generations, considering the re-arrangement is very light on that one anyway.

And finally, the Results theme from 2006 is just a weird one.  I respect wanting to include a few quiet, relaxing songs, but it's just a bit too short and repetitive to really serve as a good one.

A real shame they didn't throw in anything from the Symphony as a bonus.  Naturally the Sonic 1 and 2 medleys would have the same rights issues as any other Sonic 1 and 2 music, but I think the Believe In Myself / It Doesn't Matter medley would've gone down a TREAT to dramatically run around Starfall to.

• Nice Smile 1

Dreadknux

Failinhearts was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Boss Battler - Complete any of the Boss Rush stages and share your score with the Community!' and 30 points.

G'Day mates, witness the fruits of my near ragequit level of frustration with these challenges.

BATTLE RUSH SCORE:

Spoiler

20230327_234727.jpg?width=1512&height=11

CYBER SPACE CHALLENGE SCORE

Spoiler

20230327_234738.jpg?width=1512&height=11

JUKEBOX MODE

Spoiler

20230327_234341.jpg?width=850&height=113

PHOTO MODE

Spoiler

20230327_234506.jpg?width=850&height=113

Was it worth it?

...I'll get back to you on that for Battle Rush, but I do like that Power Boost. That's for certain.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm in the progress of the challenges so I'll save the achievement type stuff for later, but man, these Cyberspace Challenges really infuriate me on the same level as Crash 4's perfect runs, and I say that as someone who's S-Ranked every single stage in the main game twice over already (PS5 and Steam Deck).

I really do love the idea of these bite-sized stage challenge marathons, and don't get me wrong - I had some hype moments with them so far, specifically when in Chaos Island, I fumbled an earlier stage, only to manage to clutch the S-Rank by perfecting 3-6 with like 30 seconds to spare, which is the first time I've done a perfect run on the stage.

But god, I really hate it when a game demands some level of super high performance with little room from error from you, but cannot remain stable enough to provide a foundation for that performance, It might be fair enough on it's own to have a marathon run of nearly perfect runs, but I feel like it's only fair to expect that same kind of performance from the game itself - I.E - that the game's functions will play well and fair, and not hinder your attempts, and yet Frontiers just is not that. If anything, it's jank in Cyberspace is honestly unreal.

I wasn't even going to post this honestly until I had done the achievement challenges (Which I'm still working on) (And please - if this is the wrong thread for this kind of discussion, I apologise), but after losing three full rounds of the Ouranos challenge run because of sheer jank - such as clipping through floors, clipping through rails, somehow being derailed off a automated rail, being hit and knocked around by spikes into bottomless pits, losing dashes randomly, and the one that made me need to stop for the night to take a break - somehow clipping through the freaking glider on 4-1 after being literally BOOSTED INTO IT - it's just really frustrating. They really should've tightened this all up before coming out with such a thing IMO.

• Absolutely 1

12 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I'm in the progress of the challenges so I'll save the achievement type stuff for later, but man, these Cyberspace Challenges really infuriate me on the same level as Crash 4's perfect runs, and I say that as someone who's S-Ranked every single stage in the main game twice over already (PS5 and Steam Deck).

I really do love the idea of these bite-sized stage challenge marathons, and don't get me wrong - I had some hype moments with them so far, specifically when in Chaos Island, I fumbled an earlier stage, only to manage to clutch the S-Rank by perfecting 3-6 with like 30 seconds to spare, which is the first time I've done a perfect run on the stage.

But god, I really hate it when a game demands some level of super high performance with little room from error from you, but cannot remain stable enough to provide a foundation for that performance, It might be fair enough on it's own to have a marathon run of nearly perfect runs, but I feel like it's only fair to expect that same kind of performance from the game itself - I.E - that the game's functions will play well and fair, and not hinder your attempts, and yet Frontiers just is not that. If anything, it's jank in Cyberspace is honestly unreal.

I wasn't even going to post this honestly until I had done the achievement challenges (Which I'm still working on) (And please - if this is the wrong thread for this kind of discussion, I apologise), but after losing three full rounds of the Ouranos challenge run because of sheer jank - such as clipping through floors, clipping through rails, somehow being derailed off a automated rail, being hit and knocked around by spikes into bottomless pits, losing dashes randomly, and the one that made me need to stop for the night to take a break - somehow clipping through the freaking glider on 4-1 after being literally BOOSTED INTO IT - it's just really frustrating. They really should've tightened this all up before coming out with such a thing IMO.

I am 100% in agreement with you on this. You've summed it up perfectly

Just had a run ruined because Supreme bugged out when I destroyed the yellow diamond shooters, causing him to take no damage, and not trigger the scripted event.

this game really irritates me sometimes

Man, not to be a 2006 fanboy about it but that's interesting to read, because I really didn't have any major issue with glitches myself.  Definitely had a few attempts fuck up from just the general control jank of cyber space (the way momentum works so differently on/off rails messes me up so much on the Windmill Isle Act 3 remake (2D Green Hill grind rail stage) but not major glitches, frequently and often.  I wonder if it depends on how much you're like... speedrunning it?  I don't really know/use any advanced tricks, and found the S rank conditions to be quite generous - I'm fairly sure they're basically the same as the original ones but stacked on top of one another, so any stages with a generous one give you an opportunity to get ahead of the target by a fair bit to make up for ones with tighter times.

The only major glitch I encountered was on the Ghost fight - I tried to use the cliffs to launch myself to the final monument, and I clearly went out of the valid battle zone which would normally cancel the fight in the main game.  Here, it just made Ghost despawn and I was just stuck, had to quit out and start over.

Supreme definitely has a point where it just straight up stops taking damage for a bit around 15% health so it can finish some sort of cycle before doing the big shooty gun QTE.  It happened that way on both my Ouranos and All Islands run.  Wastes a ton of time but I feel like the S rank conditions factor it in, because I finished Ouranos with a good minute to spare despite a pretty careful and steady time on Ghost.

Just to check, you're using a maxed out Sonic right?  I was, and the S ranks weren't freebies even with all that damage output, you still have to play pretty well.  It's almost silly in a way because it's basically pointless to even play this mode without max power/defense stats (they might as well just give them to you rather than making you choose a save file).

• Thumbs Up 1

34 minutes ago, JezMM said:

Man, not to be a 2006 fanboy about it but that's interesting to read, because I really didn't have any major issue with glitches myself.  Definitely had a few attempts fuck up from just the general control jank of cyber space (the way momentum works so differently on/off rails messes me up so much on the Windmill Isle Act 3 remake (2D Green Hill grind rail stage) but not major glitches, frequently and often.  I wonder if it depends on how much you're like... speedrunning it?  I don't really know/use any advanced tricks, and found the S rank conditions to be quite generous - I'm fairly sure they're basically the same as the original ones but stacked on top of one another, so any stages with a generous one give you an opportunity to get ahead of the target by a fair bit to make up for ones with tighter times.

The only major glitch I encountered was on the Ghost fight - I tried to use the cliffs to launch myself to the final monument, and I clearly went out of the valid battle zone which would normally cancel the fight in the main game.  Here, it just made Ghost despawn and I was just stuck, had to quit out and start over.

Supreme definitely has a point where it just straight up stops taking damage for a bit around 15% health so it can finish some sort of cycle before doing the big shooty gun QTE.  It happened that way on both my Ouranos and All Islands run.  Wastes a ton of time but I feel like the S rank conditions factor it in, because I finished Ouranos with a good minute to spare despite a pretty careful and steady time on Ghost.

Just to check, you're using a maxed out Sonic right?  I was, and the S ranks weren't freebies even with all that damage output, you still have to play pretty well.  It's almost silly in a way because it's basically pointless to even play this mode without max power/defense stats (they might as well just give them to you rather than making you choose a save file).

To clarify - the glitches I experienced was mainly Cyberspace related - and yes, it was mostly to do with collision issues and general jank causing said glitches. Let it be Sonic randomly derailing off of things that should have been on-rails, or losing his place 'on track', or whatever else. Idk what to say, I experienced them - enough that three or four runs were ruined by them. And from my experience - a death can kill an entire run depending on which level it happens, and how far you get sent back.

Boss Rush - I had very little issues (I actually just finished the marathon run there now with all S-Ranks) - other than Supreme completely bugging out and not triggering his final scripted phase, meaning I had to do a complete restart. My only problem with Boss Rush really is just that Ares Island is a awful island for speedrunning since so many of these fights are gimmick and time-based.

I know Supreme stops taking damage after a certain point - but it's because you have to smash down his triangle guns to cause him to do a scripted segment - the bug I encountered was I destroyed them, did the sequence, charged him down, then Supreme still wouldn't take damage, softlocking the fight because he couldn't move onto any more scripted sequences. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Dreadknux

Ryannumber1gamer was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Starfall Snapper - Take a Photo in Sonic Frontiers' Photo Mode and share it with the Community!' and 30 points.

On another note, if I can't get trophies on PSN for this update, you can be damn sure I'm getting SSMB achievements for it.

Starfall Snapper: 

Captured on Kronos Island, we have Sonic taking 'Reach for the Stars’ a bit too literally...

1872a4500e817-screenshotUrl.thumb.jpg.0b00dad52219707eb3bbe3ad5ebf1c64.jpg

Pulled this off by dashing the tower and launching Sonic off one of the climbable pillars at the top. Even got him to go into trick mode for extra style points. 

Cyber Space Speedster: 

1872a44c6e191-screenshotUrl.thumb.jpg.894b7c80d4d5548ff4875f4dbacc7be5.jpg

Thankfully wasn't too hard since I had pushed myself to get S Ranks twice over already on Steam and PS5, but the bugs was really annoying. I don't know what it is, but the final Island levels was the worst for me with clips and collision issues. Still finished with plenty of time to spare, though.

Boss Battler:

1872a44e42327-screenshotUrl.thumb.jpg.01a60741f805219247df2c6d08b2a5bb.jpg

Apologies for the menu screen summary as opposed to the total screen, I forgot to grab a screenshot of my totals.

For anyone wondering, I managed to get S rank in all of the fights. Started out rough as I was out of practice and forgot a lot of the moves so had to get into practice. 

Cross Slash is easily Sonic's best move, able to shred bosses with very little trouble, especially on the titans.

Knight was probably the worst, causing a run fail due to the RNG on his missiles and shield reflect. 

On the all island run however, I discovered if you are very fast, you can actually shred Knight enough to hit his second phase immediately, skipping the missile sequence.

The most annoying thing as I mentioned was Supreme glitching on one of my runs and forcing a complete restart. Thankfully, it didn't happen on the marathon run. 

Audio Archaelogist:

1872a4518f012-screenshotUrl.thumb.jpg.476219eca4434c71518978979e1f65d7.jpg

As you can see, I found the Arid Sands - Day soundtrack as I was exploring Ares Island. Seemed pretty appropriate to play it while giving a nice shot of Sonic looking out to the horizon.

Dreadknux

Sternosaur was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Starfall Snapper - Take a Photo in Sonic Frontiers' Photo Mode and share it with the Community!' and 30 points.

Here is my picture I took in photo mode 😄

sonicfrontierscoolpicture.png

Dreadknux

Sternosaur was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Audio Archaeologist - Unlock a song by collecting Sound Memory tokens and share your discovery with the Community!' and 30 points.

This is my music track that I unlocked on the 2nd Island with Knuckles.

sonicfrontiersmusictrack.png

Dreadknux

ICounterSlash was awarded the badge '[Frontiers: Sights, Sounds and Speeds] Starfall Snapper - Take a Photo in Sonic Frontiers' Photo Mode and share it with the Community!' and 30 points.

E1F257A0-A801-44A6-9DB3-66B5EE28B038.png

A bit unrelated but is anyone else getting a bug in boss rush mode where the game locks itself to 30fps? (I'm playing on PC btw) It sometimes happens to me when I reach a titan and while it doesn't make the game unplayable, it makes it harder than it needs to be.

I'm trying to complete the final boss rush challenge, but this bug keeps happening to me. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing it or if there's a fix for it.

Edited by fink

1 hour ago, fink said:

A bit unrelated but is anyone else getting a bug in boss rush mode where the game locks itself to 30fps? (I'm playing on PC btw) It sometimes happens to me when I reach a titan and while it doesn't make the game unplayable, it makes it harder than it needs to be.

I'm trying to complete the final boss rush challenge, but this bug keeps happening to me. Not sure if anyone else is experiencing it or if there's a fix for it.

I don't know how to fix it on PC, but on console, you need to go into options, and switch the graphical modes from performance to visual, to performance again. Seems to be some bizarre bug with loading the Titans in that causes it.