Awoo.

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW #59: Cover & Info Reveal

Sonictrainer

6 hours ago, Kuzu said:

Ok, but what are you basing this on besides a few comments from here and probably on Twitter, to objectively say that Belle is some failure as a character that adds nothing of value? 

...I didn't...?

Maybe we're getting multiple posts from different people mixed up and that's causing some confusion. I was mainly taking the time to look at her situation from presentation standpoint and trying to find a root cause of some people's feelings about her.

Personally, I find Belle an interesting concept with collectively flawed execution--another one of those characters that could've been done better, but still hovers around okay. Although I suppose that's risking getting into a different plane altogether.

Off the top of my head, there's only two or three characters who I passionately felt needed to be reigned in and neither of them were her.

6 hours ago, Kuzu said:

But that issue also came in the middle of another story arc; like the comics have been doing exactly what you described. Everything from Belle's debut to Starline getting the data he needed was building up to Surge and Kit. 

Er, yes and no.

A lot of Year 3 was indeed Flynn and Stanley cooperating to set up the milestone, but the Chaotix issue seemed to be the latter also using Imposter Syndrome as a inciting incident to set up future stories for Clutch.

Multitasking all around, actually.

6 hours ago, Kuzu said:

I'm still not really understanding the complaints beyond just being upset that the series isn't focusing on your favorite character.

Guess it's still up to them to explain their actual personal thoughts and how what we've been discussing stacks against them then.

On 12/30/2022 at 7:55 PM, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Tho, from what I’m hearing, Sticks could have been used to solve that problem until Sega shot it down.

Sad, because I thought that was an excellent place for her in IDW once I heard it not to long ago. I sure as shit never would’ve thought of that.

That said, nothing’s stopping them from writing stories that involve Knuckles doing his job. There’s still plenty of room to work with the character.

Sad for you. What you want is merely wish fulfillment at its finest. You can’t say a character like Sticks is wasted when she is neither introduced yet nor she has a plot line set up for her. We also don’t know if she has any connection to Angel Island or Knuckles in the main continuity, and going by SEGA’s mandates, its likely she doesn’t besides being Amy’s friend. Even if she were Knuckles’ friend, he wouldn’t trust her to give the position of the Master Emerald’s guardian to her anyway.

At least I can agree with you on Knuckles, but it’s up to SEGA and Ian Flynn if they want to give out the spotlight to him.

8 hours ago, Michael Takagawa said:

Sad for you. What you want is merely wish fulfillment at its finest. You can’t say a character like Sticks is wasted when she is neither introduced yet nor she has a plot line set up for her. We also don’t know if she has any connection to Angel Island or Knuckles in the main continuity, and going by SEGA’s mandates, its likely she doesn’t besides being Amy’s friend. Even if she were Knuckles’ friend, he wouldn’t trust her to give the position of the Master Emerald’s guardian to her anyway.

Lol, I’m not really sad about it. I just think it’s a missed opportunity.

They could literally have done all of that up with her introduction. It was practically a whole new setting with a fresh start, so there was little stopping them from doing that other than Sega shooting down the idea.

As far as I knew at the time, there was hardly a place for Sticks. None that came to me anyway, so when I heard the pitch that involved her, I figured it was a perfect way to bring her in like they did everyone else.

2 hours ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Lol, I’m not really sad about it. I just think it’s a missed opportunity.

They could literally have done all of that up with her introduction. It was practically a whole new setting with a fresh start, so there was little stopping them from doing that other than Sega shooting down the idea.

As far as I knew at the time, there was hardly a place for Sticks. None that came to me anyway, so when I heard the pitch that involved her, I figured it was a perfect way to bring her in like they did everyone else.

Sticks is probably not supposed to have a proper introduction, she never had one for Boom as far as I know and she was already Amy's friend in the main canon.

It is not the comic's place to be creating an origin that the main canon did not bother to create for her.

The comic's goal is to be expanded universe material. If it affects other material it is supposed to be done in a way that can be easily ignored. Creating the introduction for Sticks is beyond what the comic is supposed to do for the franchise. I do not get why the staff continues to fail to realize this.

What's with the odd accusatory tones lately...?

It should probably be common knowledge that any introduction of Sticks at this point will most likely be of the Remember the New Guy nature. Just like with every other game character, much of the cast will already have an idea of who she is--it'd just be an introduction for the new characters and the audience's benefit.

• Thumbs Up 6

> "remainders of the past"

> Whisper, Shadow

> "Androids"

This is a follow up to Whisper's backstory from the first miniseries. Oh boy...

• My Emmerdoods 2

2 minutes ago, Red Hot Jack said:

> "remainders of the past"

> Whisper, Shadow

> "Androids"

This is a follow up to Whisper's backstory from the first miniseries. Oh boy...

I wonder if Whisper and Shadow will ever meet each other.  Highly doubt it due to SEGA's mandates around Shadow...

11 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I wonder if Whisper and Shadow will ever meet each other.  Highly doubt it due to SEGA's mandates around Shadow...

They already met in issue 9. They will meet again here.

4 minutes ago, Red Hot Jack said:

They already met in issue 9. They will meet again here.

But they didn't really interact with each other, did they?

• Thumbs Up 1

Remember when Whisper was a really interesting character with numerous possibilities and Shadow wasn't the worst character in the comic? Good times 

• Thumbs Up 2

Issue 59 looks interesting and the story as well about the Androids here. The cover art looks amazing here and especially Amy she just looks cute on the cover art with Sonic I'll be looking forward to the upcoming Issue 59 soon.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2023 at 10:06 AM, Rabbitearsblog said:

It would be a waste if they didn't meet at one point.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Kuzu said:

But Blaze uses fire...

I think they're playing up the fact that PyroKINESIS is basically just the power to control fire with your mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, I hope the issue can back up what that cover is selling. Seeing Shadz go up against an army of androids would be peak IDW. So many fakers so little time.

... and thats before you consider the implications their presence would have on Whisper.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh boy...wonder what we're gonna bitch about Shadow for this time around?

• Too Many Rings 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2023 at 9:41 PM, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

Oh boy...wonder what we're gonna bitch about Shadow for this time around?

On that note. Evan Stanley has said that they got a bit more leeway in regards to Shadow....which might explain why Team Dark is back now.

https://spiritsonic.tumblr.com/post/711022657628422144/i-absolutely-get-if-this-is-one-you-cant-really#disqus_thread

• Thumbs Up 1

The tags are technically an extension of the post, as usual:

image.png.989350ae06457d204a91d2e834068c30.png

Very curious what they're going to do with him this time now, and how those guidelines compare to what we were previously told

• Thumbs Up 1