Awoo.

Depression as a Sonic fan

OtakuHedgehog

35 minutes ago, OtakuHedgehog said:

Oh yes I 100% agree. I enjoy some Mario games. Even though I never owned Mario games growing, I still have memories playing the NES & SNES games over friends' houses and daycare centers. But I hate the elitism when it comes to Nintendo fans. I remember way back in 2006 when Sonic 06 was in development, some fans in the Sonic community said that SEGA should burn for "betraying Nintendo" for making Sonic 06 for the PS3 and Xbox 360, but not for the upcoming Wii. They hoped the game would fail, well they got their wish which resulted in the Sonic franchise entering a dark age, and then, they still weren't happy!

And the Smash Community (Oh God) I remember back in 2018 I made some comments on YouTube Smash Bros Trailers saying that I hope Shadow will be an Echo-Fighter for Sonic, then I get harassed from Smash Bros fanatics who believe that they have the right to declare who "deserves to be in Smash" and would mock me saying crap like "I hate Shadow! He's just a stupid edge lord! Sonic is overrated, he doesn't need anyone to represent his dying franchise but himself! You're just a toxic fanboy who's too stupid to realize that the series has been going downhill since 1994!" For pet's sake, I love Smash Bros as a video game series, but I CANNOT STAND the cancerous community. I love Shadow, he's my favorite Sonic character because we share a lot of the same mental illnesses (intrusive thoughts, depression, suicidal thoughts, haunted by the past), and I would love to see him playable in Smash Bros someday. And this anti-Sonic BS in the Smash community stems all the back to 2006 when Snake was announced for Brawl and people (myself included) were hoping that Sonic would get accepted as well. My teenage-self had to deal with so much online harassment from the Smash Community with people saying "Sonic sucks! There hasn't been a decent Sonic game since 1994! Sad but true! He has zero chance of getting into Smash Bros! I bet Megaman will be given a slot over that blue rat". Thankfully all of the haters were proven wrong.

The worst Sonic hater I've ever come across which I mentioned in my 'I used to be a Nintendo-Hating Troll' thread was this Cortex guy who took pride in "proving Sonic fans wrong" in the Mario vs Sonic Death Battle comments section. After getting so sick of Mario fans laughing at my live-reaction, I made a 90-minute debunk video on my YouTube Channel explaining why Sonic should have beaten Mario. It was my first video essay and I put my heart and soul into the video. Sure, it's not the best video on YouTube, but I was still proud of it at the time. The Cortex guy and his gang on teenage Mario fanboys just trashed on my video and channel claiming that they weren't going to "waste their time watching something that's 100% wrong", frustrated by his arrogance I (regretfully looking back) continued to argue with him. He and other Mario fans called me braindead and said that I must have a "severe mental problem" which especially hurt me still to this day as I am on the spectrum, despite my learning disability, I've beaten the odds and have graduated from a university! But Mario fans don't care, they just think I'm stupid just because I like Sonic. This is also why I CANNOT STAND when people bring up Chris-Chan or Sonichu, just because you have Autism, like Sonic, or have an OC, that doesn't make you weird, toxic, a predator, crappy artist, furry, etc. The likes of Shadic, Nazo, and Fire Sonic are OCs, and they've stared in some of the best fan animations I've ever seen in the early 2000s.

And WTH are these Sonic haters doing with their lives? They're not some NBA superstar living in a mansion, driving a lambo, or rocking a supermodel figure with a bunch of girls chasing after them. They're just an egotistical nerd online who just so happen to like something that has a better reputation than Sonic. Anyway, I eventually blocked the Cortex guy and he responds saying "I wonder how many Sonic fans blocked me lol." Acting as if he's better than us. The scenario really broke me and caused me to stop making videos for a good 4 years or so. I've finally returned last year though after deciding to vlog my spiritual journey to figure out who I am and what I want to do with the rest of my life. No matter how "bad" the games get I will always love this character to death. Sonic was there for me during the darkest time in my life where I was neglected by my parents and the education system, I don't know where I would be if I didn't have Sonic growing up for me to rely on for my much needed emotional support.

Those Smash fans you speak of are so not bright. In fact, they are the real losers here, ones who do not have power over others like they think they do. In fact, if I argued with those losers, I would remain calm and rational, knowing I would win and that anything they say about me is very wrong. Those guys are not worth dealing with, but they should be kicked off the internet for their behavior, still.

I regularly go to a Smash Bros. forum, by the way, and the people there happen to be nice, actually, even if it is a fraction of the Smash fanbase in general.

• Fist Bump 1

Posted (edited)
On 4/7/2024 at 3:14 PM, Shiny Gems said:

Those Smash fans you speak of are so not bright. In fact, they are the real losers here, ones who do not have power over others like they think they do. In fact, if I argued with those losers, I would remain calm and rational, knowing I would win and that anything they say about me is very wrong. Those guys are not worth dealing with, but they should be kicked off the internet for their behavior, still.

I regularly go to a Smash Bros. forum, by the way, and the people there happen to be nice, actually, even if it is a fraction of the Smash fanbase in general.

Yeah I understand that they're just a loud minority within the Smash Community, obviously not every Smash fan is a toxic Sonic hater, but the same can be said about the Sonic fanbase. I hate this double-standard within the nerd community where people like to use us as their punching bag. Nerds will say that "all Sonic fans are furries", "all Sonic fans make cringe OCs", "all Sonic fans are autistic", "all Sonic fans complain about Sonic games", "all Sonic fans suck at drawing", "if you're a Sonic fan then you're a cancer to society and my opinion is better than yours". And when I reached my breaking point and became an internet troll to defend Sonic's honor, I would say the same thing about Nintendo fans and then I'll get comments like "That was 1 person!", "You can't generalize a whole fandom over a few people", "Oh well, at least we're not as bad as the Sonic fandom, they're full of man-children who draw pr0n lol". It's such hypocrisy. I CANNOT STAND how the Nintendo community gets a free pass over the same crap that the Sonic community gets a bad rep for. Nerds will take a few bad apples like Chris-Chan and NotholeResident and act like THE ENTIRE SONIC COMMUNITY act like them. Again, I've graduated from a university and won enough scholarships to graduate debt-free, but Mario fanboys will call me ret@rd3d, braindead, mental, autistic, toxic, fanboy, racial-slurs, etc just because I say that Sonic should have beaten Mario in the 2018 Death Battle. The harassment got so bad that I had to change my avatar & username and leave YouTube for a few years. They act like I committed a murder or something, and other nerds actually praise them for the crap that they through me. I can list off toxic Nintendo fans too such as Harman Smith and Jew Wario, YandereDev, or this individual who brought his Nintendo Switch loaded with Smash Bros to prey on a child, does that make all Nintendo fans child pr3d@tor$?  

I just don't get it, I went to the online nerd community in middle school to escape from all the harassment and BS for being a nerd. But now as an adult, I'm dealing with even more harassment and BS by the nerd community just because I like Sonic. Shame on me for having a hobby. It's no exaggeration that Sonic has saved my life from childhood abuse and neglect from my parents and the education system, now as an adult, children are harassing me because they're too young and ignorant to know that there was a time when Sonic was #1. Anyway, I've pretty much given up on the nerd community, especially the gaming community. I'm just sick and tired of this superiority complex nerds behind a virtual mask have when it comes to Sonic fans in order to make themselves feel better due to the BS going on in their lives. And to all the Sonic-hating Nintendo fanboys, here's a newsflash, Chris-Chan in a Nintendo fan as well! /:

Edit: Actually while I'm walking down memory lane, this will give people the idea of the mindset that these Sonic-haters have. Picking on an 10 year-old and acting all high and mighty because a character you like won a Death Battle and then you act like 'winning' debates online against 10 year-olds makes you smart? And the sad thing is, other Mario fans supported this guy in harassing me and this kid on YouTube to the point where he deleted his channel, despite that, Sonic fans are considered the toxic fandom among the nerd community, it just pisses me off so much!

Capture4.PNG

Edited by OtakuHedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 4/7/2024 at 6:14 PM, Shiny Gems said:

Huh. That explains most of my friends.

are my friends 

toxic?

1 minute ago, Cyb3rkn1ght said:

are my friends 

toxic?

Do they pick on other people out there online and in real life?

43 minutes ago, Cyb3rkn1ght said:

are my friends 

toxic?

Man... You should know...

Do you guys ever get bullied online or irl for being a sonic fan?

1 hour ago, OtakuHedgehog said:

Yeah I understand that they're just a loud minority within the Smash Community, obviously not every Smash fan is a toxic Sonic hater, but the same can be said about the Sonic fanbase. I hate this double-standard within the nerd community where people like to use us as their punching bag. Nerds will say that "all Sonic fans are furries", "all Sonic fans make cringe OCs", "all Sonic fans are autistic", "all Sonic fans complain about Sonic games", "all Sonic fans suck at drawing", "if you're a Sonic fan then you're a cancer to society and my opinion is better than yours". And when I reached my breaking point and became an internet troll to defend Sonic's honor, I would say the same thing about Nintendo fans and then I'll get comments like "That was 1 person!", "You can't generalize a whole fandom over a few people", "Oh well, at least we're not as bad as the Sonic fandom, they're full of man-children who draw pr0n lol". It's such hypocrisy. I CANNOT STAND how the Nintendo community gets a free pass over the same crap that the Sonic community gets a bad rep for. Nerds will take a few bad apples like Chris-Chan and NotholeResident and act like THE ENTIRE SONIC COMMUNITY act like them. Again, I've graduated from a university and won enough scholarships to graduate debt-free, but Mario fanboys will call me ret@rd3d, braindead, mental, autistic, toxic, fanboy, racial-slurs, etc just because I say that Sonic should have beaten Mario in the 2018 Death Battle. The harassment got so bad that I had to change my avatar & username and leave YouTube for a few years. They act like I committed a murder or something, and other nerds actually praise them for the crap that they through me. I can list off toxic Nintendo fans too such as Harman Smith and Jew Wario, or this individual who brought his Nintendo Switch loaded with Smash Bros to prey on a child, does that make all Nintendo fans child pr3d@tor$?  

I just don't get it, I went to the online nerd community in middle school to escape from all the harassment and BS for being a nerd. But now as an adult, I'm dealing with even more harassment and BS by the nerd community just because I like Sonic. Shame on me for having a hobby. It's no exaggeration that Sonic has saved my life from childhood abuse and neglect from my parents and the education system, now as an adult, children are harassing me because they're too young and ignorant to know that there was a time when Sonic was #1. Anyway, I've pretty much given up on the nerd community, especially the gaming community. I'm just sick and tired of this superiority complex nerds behind a virtual mask have when it comes to Sonic fans in order to make themselves feel better due to the BS going on in their lives. And to all the Sonic-hating Nintendo fanboys, here's a newsflash, Chris-Chan in a Nintendo fan as well! /:

Edit: Actually while I'm walking down memory lane, this will give people the idea of the mindset that these Sonic-haters have. Picking on an 10 year-old and acting all high and mighty because a character you like won a Death Battle and then you act like 'winning' debates online against 10 year-olds makes you smart? And the sad thing is, other Mario fans supported this guy in harassing me and this kid on YouTube to the point where he deleted his channel, despite that, Sonic fans are considered the toxic fandom among the nerd community, it just pisses me off so much!

Capture4.PNG

Anyways, don't let those others get to you. Those guys, even if they were smart as they think they were, are not socially developed. I don't know if it is from a lack of parenting, but they are wrong if they think they can control others, decide what they like and hate on them if it is different from what they want. They are just not developed, maybe not raised well, too. In regards to the Death Battle stuff, I doubt they did proper research on Sonic the Hedgehog, who has been said to have immeasurable speed, by the way, and they are just going by the words of a show and treating them like facts, when Death Battle itself can be wrong, too. Not to mention, it is just a show.

Just know that they are probably not bright, not socially developed, both or have other things that make them not have actual power over you. It can be tough, and it can be irritating, but know all this, and stay strong, don't let them get to you and you won't have to worry or be bothered by the likes of them.

It is true, though that not everyone starts out strong, and no one should be hated on for what they like in the first place, but I can imagine there are a number of factors that make a person who they are. They just go for being simple, when life is too complex. They don't seem to understand life, or how it should be, and the world does not revolve around them in any way.

• Fist Bump 1

54 minutes ago, Shiny Gems said:

Do they pick on other people out there online and in real life?

real life? nah. online? im not sure...

6 minutes ago, sonic_the_cuber said:

You have NO idea-

8 minutes ago, sonic_the_cuber said:

I get teased by my neighborhood friends.

10 minutes ago, sonic_the_cuber said:

Online mainly, Iv'e been kicked outta Servers on discord for just having a sonic pfp, even lost friends due to being a Sonic fan. it's no biggie tho for me at least lol. 

Just now, Cyb3rkn1ght said:

real life? nah. online? im not sure...

You have NO idea-

Then so far, your friends seem to be good.

Anyway, for those depressed, remember you are not alone. There are many others with problems like yours. Heck! I have had depression myself, and with that, I basically overcame it! I am much stronger than I was as a kid, as a teenager and as an early adult. You can act to make changes happen that you want. Those cult-like haters may hate it, but if you act to make things happen, they will have to deal with those things, like it or not.

Just think of it this way, like how this song describes.

Whether you are strong now or are yet to be strong, know that every obstacle in the world is meant to be overcome, and you can overcome them, no matter what they are.

• Fist Bump 1

2 minutes ago, Shiny Gems said:

Then so far, your friends seem to be good.

Anyway, for those depressed, remember you are not alone. There are many others with problems like yours. Heck! I have had depression myself, and with that, I basically overcame it! I am much stronger than I was as a kid, as a teenager and as an early adult. You can act to make changes happen that you want. Those cult-like haters may hate it, but if you act to make things happen, they will have to deal with those things, like it or not.

Just think of it this way, like how this song describes.

Whether you are strong now or are yet to be strong, know that every obstacle in the world is meant to be overcome, and you can overcome them, no matter what they are.

It's never okay. Everyone has to accept that you are who you are. 

Just now, Maple Syrup said:

Exactly, my friend! No amount of resistance from them can change that!

• Fist Bump 1

46 minutes ago, Maple Syrup said:

PREACH!!

Music made me overcome my depression! then, the friend group I'm in picks on me for fun, but not to hurt me (I never win). they gave me self-confidence to be who I am, yet I'm still shy...

• Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

One more thing I want to say; even when things get tough, every storm one rides does have its own reward, and you can reach it. Those goons who may pick on you may win some battles, but with their lack of knowledge and acceptance of things, I say they can't win the war, for since change can happen, those fools only serve to try and delay the inevitable.

• Fist Bump 2

2 hours ago, sonic_the_cuber said:

I used to get bullied IRL back in 2004 or so when I was in middle school. As an adult though, no. The only people who will bully me for liking Sonic are nerds with low self-esteem and only on the internet of course, never IRL.

• Thumbs Up 3