Awoo.

The Sonic canon

Solly

^ Good theory, but why would Eggman team up with Eggman Nega after he had already proven himself an enemy of Eggman in Rivals and Rivals 2?

Jez raises a good point too. In Rush, Eggman fully trusts Eggman Nega (at some point), meaning Eggman probably never crossed paths with Nega before this.

I was really starting to like that theory too, oh well xD

^ Good theory, but why would Eggman team up with Eggman Nega after he had already proven himself an enemy of Eggman in Rivals and Rivals 2?

So crazy mad geniuses can't work out their differences and put their problems behind them for the greater good? Enemy of my enemy is my friend? Whose to say that they wouldn't be at each other's thoart's again after they "theoritically" defeated Sonic and Blaze?

Shadow the Hedgehog ++

Sonic Battle + (Shadow no longer amnesiac, on good terms with Rouge)

A good list, but I'd switch those two. In Shadow, he vows to put his past behind him, yet he seems to talk about Maria, Gerald and his purpose a lot in Battle.

Shadow clearly remembers Maria at the beginning of his game, on some level, so placing Battle before Shadow makes sense anyway.

Shadow remembers her getting shot, and he remembers the name, but he directly states that he doesn't actually remember who Maria is. In Sonic Battle, he does know her, which makes no sense if it takes place between Heroes and Shadow.

I'm not sure where this fits into the whole canonicity thing, but it's interesting anyway... I just finished Sonic and the Black Knight, and noticed two references to other games.

When Castle Camelot is collapsing, sometimes, when you enter the sewer, Sonic will say "Now who was it who called me a rat?" - a reference to Erazor Djinn (The other line that can be heard here is Caliburn saying "Oh, just rats.")

When you first enter the fight with the dragon near the end of the game, sometimes Sonic will say "This brings back memories, except the last time I was with Shadow!" - a reference to the Biolizard. (I forget what the alternate line here was. Something generic.)

Sonic Pocket Adventure - The Silver Sonic robot from Sonic 2 is in this. According to my timeline, this makes no sense as Eggman has since moved on to the superior Metal Sonic.

Playing Devil's Advocate, what screams "superior" about it? And for that matter, I was always under the impression that Pocket Adventure was just "Sonic 2 - Again" anyways.

There was something glaring that prevented the inclusion of the Master System games, but I can't remember what it was at the moment.

Playing Devil's Advocate, what screams "superior" about it? And for that matter, I was always under the impression that Pocket Adventure was just "Sonic 2 - Again" anyways.

There was something glaring that prevented the inclusion of the Master System games, but I can't remember what it was at the moment.

The stage names are different. Other than the cookie cutter base story that was slapped onto it, I don't know much else that Pocket Adventure has going on with it.

I think people's issues with how Sonic 2 GG fit into the canon, something about the minor details in S&T2, and the fact that most of the GG games sucked by majority opinion are probably why they aren't canon to those people.

I think there was something about Chaos as well.

Edited by Tornado

• 10 years later...

If we were still in 2009, I would have just said that I consider all of the games except Spinball and Mean Bean Machine to all take place in one big uber-continuity.

Bu alas, here we are in stinking 2019 where we have to accept the insanity that the classic games and the modern games take place in different dimensions... except that the events of the classic games did take place in the modern games dimension as well but perhapes witrh slight differences. Oh and also, there is one planet with furries and another one with humans and some games take place on one world and others on the other world. And then there is Boom.

Basically, the world of Sonic is now so screwed up that I personally no longer bother to think in terms of canon anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

TimeEater screwed up time and created a split where Mania happens so Classic Sonic is from a different dimension by technicality. 

Also I'd say Mania Adventures is canon to that timeline and Encore mode's opening is just a simplified version of how Sonic met up with Mighty and Ray.

3 hours ago, batson said:

If we were still in 2009, I would have just said that I consider all of the games except Spinball and Mean Bean Machine to all take place in one big uber-continuity.

Bu alas, here we are in stinking 2019 where we have to accept the insanity that the classic games and the modern games take place in different dimensions... except that the events of the classic games did take place in the modern games dimension as well but perhapes witrh slight differences. Oh and also, there is one planet with furries and another one with humans and some games take place on one world and others on the other world. And then there is Boom.

Basically, the world of Sonic is now so screwed up that I personally no longer bother to think in terms of canon anymore.

Boom’s dead. I think it can be disregarded. 

4 hours ago, batson said:

None of this is confusing or insane at all.

18 hours ago, Heckboy said:

None of this is confusing or insane at all.

Yes it is, compared to how things used to be. The general idea back in the day was that all the games took place on ONE world; the classic games, the modern games, the games featuring humans, the games not featuring humans. But now it's all messed up and stupid beyond belief. <_<

Take a game like Sonic Adventure and try to have it make sense when taking the current approach to the Sonic universe into account. It features the modern versions of the characters but you have characters making references to things that happened in the classic games ("Knuckles, don't tell me you let Eggman trick you AGAIN?"). The game features humans, but also features Angel Island, a location from the classic games which did not feature any humans except Eggman. So, which dimension and which planet does the game take place in?

See, it's confusing and stupid.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 1

It's sloppy and unnecessary but in practical terms it's not that confusing. The classic games probably still happened in the modern continuity so there's no conflict there. You can tell whether it's the human world or animal world based on whether there's human or animal npcs, and if there's neither then it really doesn't matter anyway. And the two worlds theory is basically just Sonic X so Angel Island got teleported to human world at some point I guess. That game's 20 years old at this point so it basically doesn't even matter.

Shit was already confusing before the split of Classic and Modern split starting with 06, and that was a mild case when everything else could still be placed somewhere.

It’s a hard sell convincing otherwise after they decided to mixed after they randomly decided Two Worlds was an official thing, because that blatantly made it worse given the fires it’s started.

My personal cannon goes like this:

Sonic 1,2,3&K, CD happened in this order. Other classic titles are 'expanded canon', like Star Wars used to have: it's totally canon, but if your heads hurts just ignore them.

And obviously there are few games that just are 100% not cannon, like Mean Bean, Tails Music Maker or Schoolhouse. (I was going to list racing games, but TSR proved that Sonic is 100% comfortable with racing his mortal enemies for fun, so whatever).

Modern tittles are practically all canon (even Pinball Party, why not), unless it's different reality (Boom), crossovers (Olympics, All Stars) or IOS game. Then they are canon as alternative dimensions, ala DC/Marvel. In Advance games Sonic saved the day, other characters helped. In SA1 Sonic, Tails and Knuckles teamed-up against Chaos 4/6.

Specific Cases
- 06 was erased, but is still canon. Otherwise "Back to the Future" movies are mess of canonicity (that and Crisis City in Generations).
- As bizarre as their are, Secret Rings/ Black Knight  are canon as well. They were mentioned anyway.
- I see why Chronicle is debatable, but I like to think of it as game that happens right after "last" Sonic game, five minutes into the future.
- Events of Sonic 06 transported Blaze to Sol Dimension in reincarnation sorta way. She grew up and then events of Rush 1&2 happened. Afterwards Nega decided Eggman is a loser and events of Rivals 1&2 happened (and Nega is big fat liar and a a loon, so anything is possible, but he's probably from the future. Definitely not from Sol).
- "Two Worlds" and "Classic/Modern Split" are Schrodinger Cat for me, they canon and uncanon at the same time. For now I'm assuming both are stupid and ignore them, but if hard facts prove otherwise, I'll adjust my views. So in my mind maps of the planet from Unleaded and Forced weren't 100% accurate, just symbolical representation of  your goals, just like Mario Maps show you perfectly squared roads everywhere.  Also continuity goes "All classic games" => Mania and it's sequels => (long time passes) Sonic Pocket Adventure => Sonic 4 => Sonic Adventure.

And the planet is called Mobius, I don't care what anyone says.

EDIT: You know, writing that made me realize how funny Olympics games are.

In "Sonic's Schoolhouse Dimension", only one game is canon.
In "Olympic Dimension" all Olympic games happened.... as well as 'main games'. Hmm... should I consider them "even more expanded canon"?

Ok but who has the more insane continuity? Sonic or Zelda? Because Zelda just pulled a third timeline split of nowhere when 2 would have been fine. Sonic meanwhile like I said before seems to just have the split timeline made by Generations.