Awoo.

Anyone else Dislike Movie Sonic's personality?

ShadowSJG

I think it's fine to dislike movie Sonic, but... Sonic has always had a personality in flux? He's existed in so many different forms of media with their own unique interpretations.

Adventures? Very wacky, almost Bugs Bunnyesque dude with a bit more 90's attitude who has a genuine brother-like bond with his Tails.

SatAM? Has a lot of cockiness, impulsiveness, and 90's cheese, but is also a traumatized kid who lost his home and only family as a five year old, lives in a world where every day is a struggle to beat Robotnik, and he hasn't had any big, world-saving victories until the very end of the series. He's shown to have nightmares and be more open and vulnerable with his emotions than other Sonics, and that's fine! It suits this version of the character.

Underground... I barely remember, but I know he had a bit more jerkish tendencies than SatAM and didn't quite have the same heart. Archie varies so much depending on who's writing him, with Ken Penders making him a pretty bad person all things considered, while Fleetway from my understanding is very rude on the surface but has more depth than that.

All this to say, Sonic has never been consistent because who Sonic is depends entirely on the story and who's writing. Even in the games, his personality in the Adventure Games, 06, Unleashed, Black Knight, and the Pontaff era are all pretty different.

Alternate continuities are allowed to be different- and I think it's fine to have a preference, but I always err on the side of caution when saying alt versions have to be 1:1 with the games because I think that robs those continuities of their own identity. I love Rise of the TMNT and 2012 TMNT for different reasons, for instance.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can't really say I agree with the idea that Sonic's personality has been as wildly inconsistent as some of you say, nor do I think that would justify treating his characterization like a free-for-all where absolutely anything goes.

Despite their differences, most incarnations of Sonic at least appear to be drawing from a common source. Sure, the way the source is interpreted varies case-by-case, but even the most out-there interpretation of Sonic is still trying to be an interpretation of Sonic in some sense.

Movie Sonic? Well, he's... one of the more out-there ones. His similarities to game Sonic are there, but very surface level. He's got the cockiness, bravado and irreverence you'd expect him to have, but none of the nuances like his values and outlook on life. While I don't want to call this is a bad thing outright, I have to admit that I would have 100% preferred it if his characterization was more faithful. After seeing how they totally nailed Knuckles' personality in the second movie, I can't help but wonder how movie Sonic would have turned out if they'd approached him in the same way.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/5/2022 at 5:39 AM, Domino said:

I can't really say I agree with the idea that Sonic's personality has been as wildly inconsistent as some of you say, nor do I think that would justify treating his characterization like a free-for-all where absolutely anything goes.

Despite their differences, most incarnations of Sonic at least appear to be drawing from a common source. Sure, the way the source is interpreted varies case-by-case, but even the most out-there interpretation of Sonic is still trying to be an interpretation of Sonic in some sense.

Movie Sonic? Well, he's... one of the more out-there ones. His similarities to game Sonic are there, but very surface level. He's got the cockiness, bravado and irreverence you'd expect him to have, but none of the nuances like his values and outlook on life. While I don't want to call this is a bad thing outright, I have to admit that I would have 100% preferred it if his characterization was more faithful. After seeing how they totally nailed Knuckles' personality in the second movie, I can't help but wonder how movie Sonic would have turned out if they'd approached him in the same way.

I think this is a better route; keep his cockiness but masking a much lonelier and vulnerable side that resonates plus making him just cool all the time wouldn’t be as interesting as what they did

plus it’s not even Knuckles they one hundred percent nailed with the personality and characterisation. Yes he could be stupid in the games and serious but not I think the same comically serious way

i would say the one character they got on hundred percent is Tails

Honestly, the only thing I don't like about movie Sonic is that Tom is a cop and thus Sonic's father figure is a cop.

Like... they coulda at least made Tom a firefighter instead. xP

But I think most of the differences still aren't that outlandish, especially given he had a totally different upbringing.