Awoo.

First Clip of Sonic Prime Released - New Sonic VA Confirmed

SanPolo4389
Dreadknux
Message added by Dreadknux,

This topic was good and got turned into First Footage of Sonic Prime Confirms New Sonic Voice Actor at some point.

13 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

Listening more, yeah I like him. He has a youthful sounding voice which I like. 

That’s.. pretty good!

• Thumbs Up 3

Can tell he’s taking inspiration from old VA’s and putting his own spin on it. I like it

• Thumbs Up 3

21 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

Ah yeah listening more it’s definitely not strictly a RCS soundalike. And I like this guy already, so wholesome and respectful to other Sonic VA’s.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean, like, whatever. The question is more whether they will attempt/be allowed to make the roles their own or whether they will be doing bad impressions of the popular voice actors like Pokemon still does 15 years later.

Realistically, I'm more surprised that the show even still exists, to be honest. The bloodbath at Netflix (especially the animation department) over the past two weeks has sounded like it was even more extreme than the one that AT&T put HBO, Warner Brothers and DC through a couple years ago.

• Promotion 3
  • Absolutely 1

That…was underwhelming.

Tho I suppose that was the point…

25 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

Funny how he compares himself to Tails rather than Sonic. I kind of like that.

The voice is gonna take some getting used to though, but hey, It took a while for me to get used to Ben's voice too.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, VO.SUPER said:

Oh yeah, love this guy already. He's got a good marking of making his own Sonic voice while taking inspiration from Roger Craig Smith and the others. Even a bit of Jaleel White in there. Excellent.

• Thumbs Up 8

After seeing the teaser a few times, the animation is growing on me. I like the normal maps they use on Sonic's fur, that's something the games (especially something like Frontiers) could definitely stand to use. I know it's been done before to a very subtle degree but I like the stylized execution of it here. 

As for Deven, I really like him already based on the video he's posted, though I think it's a sad state of affairs that he, Roger and the Sonic Twitter had to come out and pre-emptively cool everyone off. Props to them for being ahead of the curve on that though, and Deven's video was very wholesome and makes me excited to hear him in the role. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Willsy said:

After seeing the teaser a few times, the animation is growing on me. I like the normal maps they use on Sonic's fur, that's something the games (especially something like Frontiers) could definitely stand to use. I know it's been done before to a very subtle degree but I like the stylized execution of it here. 

As for Deven, I really like him already based on the video he's posted, though I think it's a sad state of affairs that he, Roger and the Sonic Twitter had to come out and pre-emptively cool everyone off. Props to them for being ahead of the curve on that though, and Deven's video was very wholesome and makes me excited to hear him in the role. 

Wish Devin luck with this role and I like his voice so far.

personally Ben is now my fave Sonic voice.

• Thumbs Up 1

I see TV CG still hasn't moved on from that spring-loaded snap timing, huh? Guess it's cost effective. Oh well, rendering and facial expressions look better than what we get from SEGA's material, at least.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, Natie said:

...still hasn't moved on from that spring-loaded snap timing, huh?

Is there any reason it should?

Yeah he seems like a cool guy. Good luck to him. I like how he avoided saying gotta go fast ;)

Glad Sonic hasn't got blue arms, a scarf or sports tape this time.

4 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Is there any reason it should?

Just an observation is all.

Static pose-to-pose is one of the easiest ways to animate in CG while still looking competent and intentional, as you don't have to create more complex acting with multiple moving parts. Back in the late 2000s I understood because CG was still kinda new and expensive and hard to fit into the tv model, but I was curious if, since so much tech has improved and become cheaper and more accessible these days, it had become a bit more complex.

Oh well, it's not like the TV animation industry as a whole has necessarily gotten better these days, anyway. Also, I haven't really been watching 3D kids shows anymore so for all I know Sonic may be an exception.

This looks really good!  I'm really liking Sonic's new voice and the animation and designs looks really good! I can't wait to watch this series soon!

Hmm, I like Mack so far. Just the right amount on snark to his voice.

That looks good. Not good enough to be amazing at the moment, but still...

I can't wait for this now. Sonic sounds fine, too. I even think his voice actor sounds better than his current one in the games, if by a little.

I can never dislike another African American Sonic VA. Glad to see Devan is excited to play the role and I look forward to seeing what he brings.

• Thumbs Up 1

Very little to say about this. Clip is too short for me to judge the animation much.

Deven Mack sounds good. It's clear SEGA are trying to keep consistent-sounding performances, since O'Shaughnessy and Higgins sounded so similar, he's naturally pretty close to Roger. But that's not a bad thing! I'm sure he'll be fine in the role.

Other than that, too early to judge. It's just Sonic in Green Hill talking about how cool he is. This could honestly be a teaser for literally anything.

2 hours ago, VO.SUPER said:

I take back what I said... he'll do a fantastic job! Welcome to the family, Devon - can't wait to see ya in action!

2 hours ago, MGA_Gamer said:

Funny how he compares himself to Tails rather than Sonic. I kind of like that.

Guess we now know who has dibs when our baby fox puppy finally grows up into someone even more powerful than Sonic himself, lol!

2 hours ago, Tornado said:

I'm more surprised that the show even still exists, to be honest. The bloodbath at Netflix (especially the animation department) over the past two weeks has sounded like it was even more extreme than the one that AT&T put HBO, Warner Brothers and DC through a couple years ago.

Yeah, I thought for sure that it was a goner. The good news is that, aside from distributing it, Netflix has no involvement with the production itself. So hopefully, not only will the writing be better than Netflix's "standard" of Boss Baby (vomits), but it'll be able to find a new home with Nick and Paramount+ should Netflix do their thing and cut it off early. (Lot like Tuca & Bertie, which got saved by WB through Adult Swim.)

Bruh, Deven Mack was Rama-era Chef Hatchet and King Asswipe Vangelis? Definitely wouldn't have suspected him being suitable for Sonic based on the roles I'm familiar with for him, but hey he's not bad.

• Thumbs Up 3

22 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Here is your new Sonic voice. He was doing Sonic fan animations on newgrounds for years. He is not new to the role.  Though he actually voiced as Eggman as much as he did Sonic. 

https://d-mac-double.newgrounds.com/

Perhaps he could be playing both Sonic and Eggman.

Would make sense, especially if they really wanna get weird with the multiverse-style premise.

Spoiler

Like, the multiversal head of all the Eggmen is... ANOTHER SONIC! Dun dun dun...

7 hours ago, Razule said:

Ah, new voice. Not really feeling it in those couple seconds.

Listened to his voice again a few times, and changed my mind. Definitely closer to my ideal Sonic voice than RCS. Looking forward to hearing more of him.

• Thumbs Up 1

So after avoiding all the panic room discussion about whether or not the show wasn't finished yet or coming out next year or cancelled or whatever other stuff impatient people were making up we finally get to see a clip from it.

Yeah, it looks good. It looks better than what my mind was allowing myself to expect when I heard 3D TV animation. I tend to not watch very many of those since when I was a kid it always felt super cheap and demonstrably inferior to 2D animated stuff for TV. I watched and enjoyed Jimmy Neutron and I think that was about it for those kinds of shows. Well... I did watch the Butt Ugly Martians too but uh... that feels even longer ago. So little of it remains in my brain.

It is very relieving to see him so well animated and expressive in this. It's not looking quite as stiff as I feared. I'm already digging the style more than Boom, if only because it feels a bit more bouncy with the way he moves here. That and Sonic's design being the way it's supposed to be makes the way he moves feel way less awkward. Those stilts that were supposed to be Sonic's legs in Boom never felt like they moved quite right.

I'm loving our new Sonic VA. The expected adjustment period between first hearing the voice and getting used to it is in effect of course but acclimating to it feels like it'll be a lot easier this go around. 

All in all, I'm very happy. Glad that the 30th Anniversary celebration train feels like it's never ending. 

• Thumbs Up 3

The new VA is super nice, I like it. Oh and, I almost forgot, I'm pretty sure Nicholas Kole is involved in this series, now I know why Sonic's design is pretty great. He doesn't fuck around.

• Thumbs Up 3