Awoo.

SSF1991

I'm surprised no-one went straight for the Sonic 3 & Knuckles joke. It's low hanging fruit, but still...

I'm hoping for the Chaotix in the Knuckles series. They'd be a good foil for Knuckles' more serious tone.

I never would have picked a Knuckles spin-off, he was so under used and un-developed for the longest time, but perhaps that's the reason. Plus he has a lot of untouched ancient Echidna lore they could tap into.

I wonder if he-who-shall-not-be-named is caught between gloating that he was right about Knuckles having potential, and being upset that he will be getting his own lore etc and they don't need or want his past contributions. 😅

• Thumbs Up 2

See, I think the biggest reason this could be exciting is this could be fantastic for Sonic's secondary characters. Let's be honest, there is a lot of Sonic characters that probably wouldn't be a big draw for a movie. Maybe they could be in a movie as a supporting character, but they'd never be big chosen to be the big guest character. I feel like this could be great for characters that have some ties to Knuckles, like the Chaotix, Rouge, and Tikal.

Could also mean Knuckles doesn't have to be in Sonic 3. He gets his own TV show and does his own thing there, while Sonic 3 could be Sonic and Tails, with newcomers Shadow and Amy for example. Sidesteps the problem of Sonic's size of cast.

I wonder what will happen in Prime. Not into the point about story or anything, but having two different stories running at the same time, but especially, one running on Netflix and another on Paramount+.

And yeah, I do feel Paramount+ is slowly becoming one of my favorite streaming services, probably only behind Disney+ after this news.

Like some already said, I do think that's a lot of weight for only a single movie which came out and which wasn't even perfectly received. Of course, I'd never want this, but I wonder if they have a back-up plan if Sonic 2 somehow fails.

And since I don't think there's much to discuss, I just can't stop to wonder if and what they might expand next if all content becomes successful.

I guess that's it. My bet for Sonic 3 logo was initially Knuckles, but since he's already a major plot in 2, I don't see why they would make this, my second bet is Metal Sonic then, a third although unlike bet, would be Shadow, but I don't think we will have any adventure/modern character in this first trilogy (Pure speculation, no theory).

• Thumbs Up 1

I can see this series' main plot being the Master Emerald getting shattered, and Knuckles having to find all the pieces.

Yeah, pretty much an adaptation of his Adventure stories. Maybe a bit of his Archie post-reboot arc.

• Thumbs Up 3

They better have some really promising content planned for the spin-off series, if it’s gonna be solely focused on Knuckles (Especially if this could be possibly the best incarnation of the character to date). Perhaps try implement exclusive characters that most likely aren’t gonna appear in live-action films like Chaotix, Mighty or Fang?

Mighty and fang along with Ray are confirmed to be in the classic series of Sonic only so doubt they would appear.

The chaotix might come off too weird for live action adaptions but who knows.

---

They really should see how well 2 does doing this…

Look at the turtles films they had 3 films set they did 2 because the 2nd one flopped.

Amazing spiderman had 4 films and a spin off planned. 2nd flopped and rest was cancelled.

Why can’t we go back to the days they did a sequel if it did well.

Not that I’m seeing Sonic 2 will flop I hope it breaks the box office and does Amazing as I’m loving what I see so far. But let’s be realistic.

Posted By: Dashiell C

It looks to me as if they’re gonna condense elements from Sonic 2, 3 and Knuckles in this second movie. The next good story to be told in the Sonic universe is Sonic Adventure 1 or 2. Personally, I bet on 2, so it would be a great opportunity to bring Shadow into the live-action world.

I have to wonder what motivated them to do the Knuckles spin-off, if it was fan-reaction to his reveal in December (which seems pretty early) or if Idris Elba's star power is part of it. 

Still haven't watched the first Sonic movie but it's nice to see all this hype around the franchise again. 

2 minutes ago, Solly said:

I have to wonder what motivated them to do the Knuckles spin-off, if it was fan-reaction to his reveal in December (which seems pretty early) or if Idris Elba's star power is part of it. 

Still haven't watched the first Sonic movie but it's nice to see all this hype around the franchise again. 

The rumor about the live action film actually predates the trailer (the article is like 3 or 4 months old). So before the hype when everyone saw Knuckles' model and had any idea of how he was going to be portrayed with the release of the trailer in Dec. So I am guessing the project was drafted even before fans knew about Knuckles even appearing. 

I am also guessing it more had to do with Idris Elba's star power plus just general stuff they had going on behind the scenes in figuring out how to tell more stories.

• Thumbs Up 3

The biggest reason might simply be Paramount+ itself. After rebranding it from CBS All Access, and it still needing to be launched in other countries like the UK this Summer, Paramount+ wants as much programming as possible so it can compete with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ etc. Could be as simple as the people at Paramount+ looking at every franchise they own, seeing the Sonic movies, and then figuring out what they can spin-off from it. And really I think the only things you could do would be giving Tails or Knuckles their own shows.

7 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

The biggest reason might simply be Paramount+ itself. After rebranding it from CBS All Access, and it still needing to be launched in other countries like the UK this Summer, Paramount+ wants as much programming as possible so it can compete with Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+ etc. Could be as simple as the people at Paramount+ looking at every franchise they own, seeing the Sonic movies, and then figuring out what they can spin-off from it. And really I think the only things you could do would be giving Tails or Knuckles their own shows.

I figured that Paramount would want a Knuckles series for their streaming services since Disney + is already making headway with their streaming platform by having the Marvel shows air on Disney + . Maybe this announcement is a way for Paramount to compete with Disney in terms of streaming services by offering an original TV series that's based off their movies. Let's hope that the sequel proves to be successful so that all of this can happen!

I wonder where this show will end up in the countries that don't have Paramount, like pretty much every country outside the USA.

NZ for example isn't getting Paramount due to SKY TV making a deal for their content, and I am not paying the combined cost of Amazon, Netflix and Disney Plus just to watch Knuckles on SKY TV. They charge the earth for a subscription and have nothing to show for it now the big three have taken back all their shows and movies.

Posted By: Greatsong1

Whoa that was fast (no pun intended).

Would be nice to see Amy and/or Metal Sonic in this (and in the Sonic 2 credits as well).

I’m really interested in this Knuckles series. Especially since the echidna tribe is still alive from what we last saw in the previous film.

Posted By: Live-Action Name

On 2/16/2022 at 12:52 AM, SK7200 said:

Mighty and fang along with Ray are confirmed to be in the classic series of Sonic only so doubt they would appear.

The chaotix might come off too weird for live action adaptions but who knows.

Games I can understand but who says this same rule necessarily applies strictly to this live-action films and spin-off series? Sure obviously Rouge might have better changes to appear (Not always, after all we didn’t get to see her in Sonic Boom), but nothing is always necessarily obvious with case of Sonic. While I’m also not necessarily expecting any of previous characters to appear, I don’t think that Classic and Modern character rule really does apply here. It’s really up to Jeff Fowler, movie or spin-off staff to find out the potential/existence of these characters and whatever Sega accepts their appearances.

This is all so surreal! A threequel AND a Knuckles TV show in the works!? (Not sure if its telling that everything BUT the games are worth getting excited for at this point...)

I'm guessing that Sonic movie 3 logo is a placeholder, but I drew up an idea for it way back when 2's logo got revealed:

6543643.PNG.3856fa4649da9e7020865ca90557918c.PNG

• Nice Smile 1

I mean there is a lot of untapped Sonic material that they can use. Like, so much Sonic can have 5 films and some spin-offs.

Sonic 2 would not cover Knuckles' backstory to the fullest I guess, that's why the spinoff is being made.

It's no wonder Paramount are looking so confident about the future of the film series. As long they continue to have good writing and proper direction, this could be Paramount's answer to Marvel's Cinematic Universe.

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted By: Quack

No Sonic 3 & Knuckles joke? Missed opportunity!

Technically it IS a Sonic 3 Movie & Knuckles spinoff announcement. Close enough.

We are literally going to be getting a Sonic the Hedgehog 3 AND Knuckles! 🤣

It looks to me as if they’re gonna condense elements from Sonic 2, 3 and Knuckles in this second movie. The next good story to be told in the Sonic universe is Sonic Adventure 1 or 2. Personally, I bet on 2, so it would be a great opportunity to bring Shadow into the live-action world.

This. My thoughts exactly.

I expect Sonic CD will be the next focus with Metal Sonic and Amy BUT I also feel Shadow will be in a post-credits scene.