Awoo.

Ian Flynn to pen the story for "Sonic Frontiers"

Wraith

I am looking forward to seeing how Flynn's involvement will shape the narrative. Even if he can't affect the gameplay, he can at least try to build around the open world.

And if there is a genre that can benefit from lore dumpage, it's open world stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1

Seriously?!?!!?

My goodness…

Nearly a decade and that sonuvabitch finally became a writer for the game!

I can only hope Sega doesn’t have a tight leash on him, because he really doesn’t need it. That was the only reason I didn’t want him writing the games, because otherwise they could not have found a better candidate thus far.

Looks like that Flynn4Sonic campaign worked out!

• Thumbs Up 2

That took way longer than it should have.

The fact that it finally happened does give me hope that things, at the very least, have the ability to get better.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, KoDaiko said:

OK, I was somewhat skeptical about the news, but...

I guess this confirms?

It was already confirmed. 

• Thumbs Up 1

They're not going to put him on the game if they're going to restrict him hard.

It's one thing when he works on the comic books, which that medium for Sonic has a very notorious history when it comes to... creator oversight... but a game would have less mandates, I imagine.

He needs to work in the confines of what Sonic Team is making, which is already a limitation. But from there, I assume he may have a lot of power.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 2

How does the game writing work for Sonic anyway? I vaguely remember someone (Ian?) saying the general storyline/flow is set, and they just need to write the dialogue? How much meddling is in there?

Somewhere. Right now, Penders is kicking a puppy in pure jealousy.

Very happy with this piece of news. Probably the biggest reveal we got on the game today considering the rest was of the teaser variety. Its nice to have a guy in the room who understands the characters and knows which traits to play off of in order to make them entertaining. We saw how much of a difference having an inside guy at the table made with the movie when Hesse came on board, and Flynn has been doing this for even longer with the comics.

While this might ensure that we get a tongue-in-cheek "True Dat" from Tails in the future, I fully expect that he will have enough sense to reach across the table and slap whoever pens the next disaster and tries to bring that weak sauce to the final script. I actually feel like I can trust at least one guy with a hand in the script and that is more than I can say from... practically any point in the history of the franchise.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 2

3 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

How does the game writing work for Sonic anyway? I vaguely remember someone (Ian?) saying the general storyline/flow is set, and they just need to write the dialogue? How much meddling is in there?

Depends on the game. Lost World's plotline for example, IIRC was created entirely by Potac and Graff.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

It's probably worth mentioning that the way IDW is handled in comparsion to Archie may be why Ian landed the job. He's gone on point before saying about how the IDW job required him sitting down with Sonic Team/SEGA staff, and Iizuka to run through the initial plotline of the first year of IDW, so it's possible that positive working experience finally convinced SEGA to just give Ian the job.

The books actually premiering in Japan too probably has something to do with it too.(Worldwide in general.) This makes Flynn just a bit more relevant to SEGA on both sides of the pacific.

• Thumbs Up 3

At long last, the pontaff era is behind us. I’m really excited to see what Ian does for the games story.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Depends on the game. Lost World's plotline for example, IIRC was created entirely by Potac and Graff.

I'm pretty sure that with Lost World they were given a vague outline by ST, most importantly including the Deadly Six, and they had to build on that framework. I think that they may have been the ones to push for Orbot and Cubot to come back as well? ST didn't want them, but the writers insisted because they (unfortunately) proved so popular in Colours. They had more freedom with SLW than the other games, but it was still a case of ST getting them to write the story that they asked for. 

Writing the story is probably approached different from game to game. It wasn't a priority for Colours, Generations and Lost World, for example. It was quite manageable to give an outline and ask Warren and Graff just to come up with the dialogue. I'd guess that with the way Frontiers looks to be handling its world and story, the story was planned out very early on. Flynn has probably been involved almost since the word "go". 

• Thumbs Up 1

"In Sonic Frontiers, Sonic’s long-time nemesis Dr. Eggman discovers an ancient technology on the Starfall Islands and installs his AI program SAGE to hack in and take over. But there is more to this technology than he realizes, and unintended consequences immediately come to bear. Sonic must race against time to discover the truth, save his friends, and maybe even save himself at the same time," says a press release. 

https://www.vg247.com/sonic-frontiers-2022-announcement-trailer

Story info seems relevant here.

• Thumbs Up 2