Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers Trailer

Wraith

3 minutes ago, Betz said:

"In Sonic Frontiers, Sonic’s long-time nemesis Dr. Eggman discovers an ancient technology on the Starfall Islands and installs his AI program SAGE to hack in and take over. But there is more to this technology than he realizes, and unintended consequences immediately come to bear. Sonic must race against time to discover the truth, save his friends, and maybe even save himself at the same time."

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/22824831/sonic-frontiers-sega-3d-mainline-game-awards

Now that sounds interesting. Eggman is involved, and Sonic's friends are at least mentioned. It's been a long time since we've had a "Eggman loses control of thing he doesn't understand" plot.

• Thumbs Up 5

Is always like this with Sonic. "The music will be good!", now "the writing will be good!". Man, when are the games start being good?

• Thumbs Up 5

So, place bets now. Will the final boss be Eggman's rogue AI program, or Eggman in another copy/paste Egg Negawisp?

The game looks absolutely gorgeous. Gives me vibes from when the first teaser was revealed for Sonic 06 back in the day. I just hope it feels Sonic-cy and not just Sonic Team lazily jumping on the Breath of the Wild bandwagon.

And yay, Ian Flynn FINALLY gets to write a game. Good riddance, Pontaff. I can only imagine how giddy Ian must be right now. He totally deserves it.

As for Morimoto back in the director's chair...oh lord. Why do they keep bringing this guy back after giving us nothing but mediocrity his entire career?

• Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, Jango said:

Is always like this with Sonic. "The music will be good!", now "the writing will be good!". Man, when are the games start being good?

Stop enjoying something that fans have been wanting for decades, guys! No liking the game until this guy physically has it in his hands!

SEGA Hiring The Man who has been making the well-received story content for Sonic to, uh, write the story content for Sonic does speak for how this game will be developed.

Like, I know you don't actually enjoy Sonic anymore...? But can people, like, like one thing? It's not even been a fucking hour.

• Thumbs Up 4

16 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

The writer is the most important thing of all...

I mean no offense by this, but the writer is literally the least important thing right now. 

Ian Flynn isn't a game writer afaik, and I can't tell his involvement would deliver more than just dialogue and cutscenes. Or even more than translation

The writer is garnering the most amount of gratification...

People don't care about anything else, as you can see from this thread...

• Thumbs Up 2

Just now, Jango said:

Why explore Sonic's world and some familiar places if we can put him in a generic plateau, anyways? 

The premise makes it pretty clear that they're not familiar places.

Apparently, some relay that it's apparently a hub for the actual worlds but I couldn't find more info about this.

Good on Flynn.

As for the game, one thing I can say for sure that's alarming: hardly a slope or interactable object in sight. Not a good start!

• Thumbs Up 5

Screenshot_20211210-025151_YouTube.thumb.jpg.5f761346f538ae2ce06aea2eb9453cc3.jpg

The graphics don't look amazing here, but I don't want to talk about that right now. Look at the map. It's not ridiculously dense, and it's full of landmarks. From the very brief look we've got at this point, I'm kind of hopeful that the open world (or open zone) isn't going to be one giant mess of non-descript areas and waypoints flashing on your map. That's good! 

• Thumbs Up 6

Just now, StaticMania said:

The writer is garnering the most amount of gratification...

The writer is the easiest thing to latch to in any definitive manner.

The game graphically looks good and the open world is conceptually interesting, but there is not much detail to either from the trailer so there is less to talk about.

Just now, azoo said:

Good on Flynn.

As for the game, one thing I can say for sure that's alarming: not a slope in sight. Not a good start!

This definitely isn't going to be a platformer. It's going to be an open world action adventure, with a sprinkling of platforming in designated areas. Disappointing, but I'm not surprised. 

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, StaticMania said:

They didn't show anything else... what are people supposed to be talking about?

I'd rather look at the information we did get and dissect that before the sheer tidal wave of comments flood in from people who were expecting to see full on playthroughs for some reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, azoo said:

Good on Flynn.

As for the game, one thing I can say for sure that's alarming: not a slope in sight. Not a good start!

Nor a ring! Or a loop!

5 minutes ago, NoKaine said:

SEGA Hiring The Man who has been making the well-received story content for Sonic to, uh, write the story content for Sonic does speak for how this game will be developed.

That's really great. It is. But I know how he writes, and I've seen good graphics. Better, even. The one unique thing this game has to offer that has not been shown yet.. is the gameplay. Quite possibly the most important part.

Just now, Razule said:

That's really great. It is. But I know how he writes, and I've seen good graphics. The one unique thing this game has to offer that has not been shown yet.. is the gameplay. Quite possibly the most important part.

...yeah. There is no gameplay footage. So not much to talk about.

But there is the writer. And how the game looks. And the fanbase has been complaining that no game has looked as good as a 2008 game, that the new games look low budget. So even the graphics address one complaint.

These things are things we can talk about, because there is information. Not much on the gameplay. Unless we want to scorge for more 4chan leaks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some people are down on the map. I think they're doing a decent job as far as elevation and landmarks but it looks more like an rpg map than a platformer level. Not much stuff that jumps out as interesting to climb.

Kinda hard to say...anything before we see it with the movement system along with stuff to collect like rings/enemies, though. There's really not much for me to comment on here honestly, but I guess its because I've been following leaks for a year.

• Thumbs Up 6

The trailer probably would've pissed me off...if it didn't confirm much stuff from the leaks. Definitely seems like it's going to be more of an open world affair.

Overall, the trailer looks good, and the layout does seem like it will lend itself to keen gameplay. Overall, I'm open to what may come.

The Ian Flynn news is definitely a welcome uprising to things.

• Thumbs Up 1

I feel so empty watching this.
As usual, Sonic Team goes from one extreme to the other extreme.
Sure, I'm glad there's no painful jokes or Green Hill Zone garbage. Yet now we go straight over to the other extreme in it being so utterly generic and devoid of life that I feel like I'm just watching a Fan Mod of someone dropping Sonic's model into an unrelated generic Fantasy game I had no interest in.
Sigh.

Also, the word "frontiers" makes me think of American prairies, the Wild West, so watching generic Fantasy shit messes with my brain too.
No sign of civilization or any towns or cities for Sonic to go too.

Ugh. I mean, Frontiers isn't doing anything BAD yet, so I can't hate on it, but it's not doing anything good either.
Guess it's going to be another Sonic Colors/ Forces where the strongest points of the game is in what it DOESN'T do, rather then any qualities of it's own.

• Thumbs Up 9