Awoo.

Sonic Frontiers (2022) | MT | General Discussion (DO NOT discuss leaks here please)

Dreadknux

8 minutes ago, DaBigJ said:

I have to wonder, with all this DLC, do you guys think a separate team is beginning concept phase for the next game? By that I mean things like concepting art and ideas on what to do

With the hirings that have been going on, that's definitely within the realm of possibility.

• Thumbs Up 2

Every other Sonic game has been described as having started development conceptually during the previous Sonic game during interviews, so it's likely the same for whatever's coming next. I'd imagine their development pipeline isn't that dissimilar to Nintendo (iirc) in pitching or even playing around with different concepts for games before they get the green light for full development, considering how back-to-back they are.

I do hope that doesn't effect Kishimoto's chances at developing the next title for the series, however. If it is an online, less-than-mainline kind of game, I guess it would be fine, but he deserves to have an immediate response to the feedback he received considering how much he wants to push the series higher than ever, rather than get interrupted

2 hours ago, DaBigJ said:

I have to wonder, with all this DLC, do you guys think a separate team is beginning concept phase for the next game? By that I mean things like concepting art and ideas on what to do

That's usually how it goes. Unless the DLC is way bigger than people think, there's no reason to assume it's all hands on deck. In that sense, designers and artists have more than likely pooled their resources elsewhere. Though it is possible that they're working on something non-Sonic related too.

1 minute ago, ZinogreVolt said:

That's usually how it goes. Unless the DLC is way bigger than people think, there's no reason to assume it's all hands on deck. In that sense, designers and artists have more than likely pooled their resources elsewhere. Though it is possible that they're working on something non-Sonic related too.

You know, I thought something similar happened back then with Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations, where the latter came out after the former. Maybe those two games were made around the same time, though?

The "DLC" is a slate of free content updates, probably stuff that was already being worked on but not ready for implementation or because they really wanted to extend the game's life beyond its opening sales (probably the more likely answer). It's probably a core team finishing off Frontiers while the rest of Sonic Team is planning potential new projects.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not to be harsh or negative (lest I be put on the bad list again) but anyone have an inkling that the third DLC wave won't be as cool as it sounds?

Like "YAY, EXTRA PLAYABLE CHARACTERS," but I have this shadow of doubt that it's going to play out as we want it to (new characters to explore the open world with using new movesets). I have this dread that they're going to be limited in how they can be used or their movesets aren't going to be satisfying.

Basically developed as an afterthought.

3 minutes ago, SolidSurgeTT said:

Heh

Just like the open world (/joke)

6 minutes ago, SolidSurgeTT said:

Not to be harsh or negative (lest I be put on the bad list again) but anyone have an inkling that the third DLC wave won't be as cool as it sounds?

Like "YAY, EXTRA PLAYABLE CHARACTERS," but I have this shadow of doubt that it's going to play out as we want it to (new characters to explore the open world with using new movesets). I have this dread that they're going to be limited in how they can be used or their movesets aren't going to be satisfying.

I'm definitely thinking it'll be a few 2D Cyber-Space stages over, say, free-roaming as Tails and Knuckles and being able to fly over everything, or new combat moves just for them and Amy.

It's a free update for a game that will have been out for a year by that point. If your expecting full new movesets and full access to the open world I would be inclined to tell you that you are probably setting the bar too high. 

Even if it's shortsighted in scope, I wouldn't call it an afterthought either tho. It's just a reward for fans making this the most successful Sonic game since he went 3rd party. 

Shoot, they could drop character skins tomorrow and most of us would gobble it up. They can save the ambition for tackling new characters for the sequel. 

• Thumbs Up 3

The third update is definitely the one to keep eyes on, since that's a new campaign, with new playable characters, and has the most potential time in the oven.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't know what to expect and would be remiss to make any actual guesses either. But yeah, I'd rather set my expectations low. Frontiers is already a complete experience, and it's not any sort of live service or evolving online experience. Free updates aren't going to suddenly transform the breadth of content available. 

What else do you need? When the combat isn't the central focus, I'm not sure I'd want them to have radically-altered movesets (though different animations and names for the same attacks would make sense), and Sonic can already do a lot more than he used to be able to. The air boost with its slow descent is almost like a glide, and if Knuckles can climb any walls, I guarantee it won't be all of them, which already makes for an allegory to Sonic's wallrunning.

So maybe Knuckles has some improvement over the climbing, Tails's flight is a nerfed, better glide-boost, and Amy has...I dunno, her triple jump from Sonic Boom?

I maintain that a significant part of the playerbase wants multiple playable characters not merely for mechanics, but for story context. A character feels like they have a more tangible effect on the story when their feats are something that you, the player, are participating in. So they don't actually need to play much differently. I honestly think that the anger over solo Sonic would be way, way lessened if we'd been getting games with stories featuring multiple playable characters all this time, even if they were mechanically identical to Sonic.

1 hour ago, DaBigJ said:

At most I'm just expecting a bunch of Sonic reskins with one extra ability for each of them in Update 3

That honestly seems ideal if those extra abilities are meaningful to use.

I would go as far as to say that story content is 90% of the reason people want them, and Sega is aware of that, so I wouldn't expect some huge system overhaul.

I really don't expect them to be playable in the open world at all to be honest but we'll see. 

2 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

Oh, word! That was fast.

The only thing that's "fast" is my ability to fall for hoaxes 😞

Just now, ZinogreVolt said:

The only thing that's "fast" is my ability to fall for hoaxes 😞

Tomorrow for sure, then. 🙃

How has it been years since these fake accounts pop up and yet people still don't check the @ before sharing things bring passed off as official news?

First thing, what do they mean by further dlc? Do they mean the roadmap or something else? Confused by that.

Secondly, oh my god they're actually giving the team a bigger budget at last. Why did it take this long tho...

Third, I greatly appreciate the push for future Sonic promotion. It's been a while since I felt that Sonic actually felt like a big brand with a budget, so this push is a good thing. 

• Thumbs Up 2