Awoo.

Canon/Continuity

KT7000

Oh the question of canon...

Nowadays I usually cant be bothered to get up from my rocking chair and go to the town square to discuss these things, but when I was a younger man I spent many an hour eagerly trying to understand the canonical mysteries of Sonic.

Basically though, I've always felt that all games take place in one big continuity, with the sole exception of a few titles like Mean Bean Machine that obviously take place in the universe of a different Sonic media product. As for timeline, I always assumed they took place in order of release date, unless this created an obvious contradiction. Honestly, for years I felt that the only true enigma regarding the Sonic game canon was that whole Silver/Blaze/Nega issue with the Sol Dimension on the one hand and the 200 years into the future on the other.

But then of course Sega dropped their two H-bombs, namely the "one human world and one animal world" and the "one classic dimension and one modern dimension". At that point I just threw up my arms and said "You know what, I refuse to even care anymore".

Oh hey, look, Classic Sonic appears in the new Team Sonic racing mobile game, and guess what?

unknown-631.png.970379e10f534531148946f25570abc6.png
Sega changed their mind and he's a younger Sonic again.
Or perhaps there's a younger Sonic Classic Sonic AND a different dimension Classic Sonic, who knows?
Can't wait till they both join modern Sonic as playable characters next game.

Look, 10 years ago I would be all thrilled talking about the official Timeline, but after the past decade of garbage story telling, this is the only timeline that makes sense to me:

Timeline.png.98c9203874c9dee97fb5a39195caf309.png
That's all there is. A cocktail of New-Gimmick-Of-The-Week and Braindead-fanservice.
I'm baffled why Iizuka even comes up with all his convoluted world building concepts when the story in-game is so lazy and thrown together.

• Thumbs Up 3

Think of Trunks' time travels in DRAGON BALL : because of the Time Eater, Classic Sonic (who, in the beginning, is Sonic when he was young) now live in another dimension because the time travel created another timeline!!...

Sonic The Fighters is Sonic 4: Episode 3

The 8th emerald is either a shrunken Master Emerald from Knuckles or a fake emerald from Fang.