Awoo.

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - The Definitive Editions (Leaked) - PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Switch, PC, Mobile Devices

Ryannumber1gamer

12 hours ago, PaddyFancy said:

I like to get it so I can play these games on the go because they could still be fun. I might convince myself to buy this on Switch physically if I find it second-hand somewhere.

I wouldn't get the Switch version if I were you. 

I also heard that the physical edition is just the case with download code inside.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

I wouldn't get the Switch version if I were you. 

I also heard that the physical edition is just the case with download code inside.

I thought that the Switch physical version included a cartridge, but still required an additional download anyway (like the Crash and Spyro trilogies). 

I'm not a GTA fan at all, but I was definitely looking forward to the prospect of getting to play enhanced versions of these classics. Obviously I expected the Switch version to be the worst of the bunch, but seeing how dreadfully awful even the best version of this collection is is a huge let down. 

4 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I thought that the Switch physical version included a cartridge, but still required an additional download anyway (like the Crash and Spyro trilogies). 

It is a cartridge with an additional download, the game case says download required, which is for games that require additional downloads on top of the cart. Meanwhile, games that are just codes in boxes has a different message altogether on it saying no game card included. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Would be a bit pointless to have a separate physical release of the Switch version if the only thing physical is literally just a case.

59 minutes ago, PaddyFancy said:

Would be a bit pointless to have a separate physical release of the Switch version if the only thing physical is literally just a case.

You say that, yet for those that want to pay less BUT want a physical box for their shelves, or if a digital download IS the only way to own the game - The Code in a Box option is a thing that exists for loads of switch games. 

I happen to have one myself - a lesson learnt to be super vigilant when purchasing online and thinking a sale price was too good to be true. 

Originally it would have been nice to have a physical copy, but once again I'll state the only reason now I want a physical copy is so I don't give any money to Rockstar for buying the game digitally, and will also wait til I find a second hand copy. Only issue is if you're required to download the games anyway when putting the Switch cart in, would it matter if it was a second hand copy and that you can only download for instance San Andreas once when its new? Was that a problem with the Switch versions of Crash and Spyro?

22 minutes ago, PaddyFancy said:

Only issue is if you're required to download the games anyway when putting the Switch cart in, would it matter if it was a second hand copy and that you can only download for instance San Andreas once when its new? Was that a problem with the Switch versions of Crash and Spyro?

No, when you put the cartridge into the system, the additional content download is just treated as a patch for the game, so it'll download automatically if it's not already there.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

Crash didn't, but Spyro did for inane reasons, including typical laziness.

• Thumbs Up 1

Serious question, guys. I want to play these games eventually. It just seemed like it was going to be a great way to get back into GTA. GTAVC and SA were games that I spent hours playing when I was younger, but I only ever did the first couple of missions and then downloaded 100% save files to doss around in.

I know that these games have their problems, I know that they're shitty ports. But I'll be getting my PS4 back at some point. Are these games playable enough on that platform? I'm almost certainly not going to get this collection anywhere near full price, because of how expensive it is and how low the quality is. But would it truly be an awful experience, or are the games intact enough to still be playable and enjoyable even if inferior to their original versions? The general QOL improvements, such as better controls for driving and shooting or autosaves, speak volumes to me. Those sorts of small issues make it difficult for me to go back to games that I really enjoyed several years ago. 

If the games don't get patched and fixed up to any significant, would they still be worth buying cheap do you think? 

I'd say get it when it's very cheap.

Since R* removed the originals from every digital store, you can only play them if you already own a copy, or by pirating it. The original games on PC were a drag to set up in modern computers, it barely even worked. It was thanks to the modding community that A LOT of things got fixed and restored. As for the versions that were available on consoles (PS4 and Xbox), they were the same as we have now, terrible ports of the mobile versions, but without the Unreal Engine flare and those QoL changes, so basically, not very worth it either. But then again, they costed 9 bucks or so, not 60.

So yeah, I wouldn't get it now if I were you.

Also, keep an eye on this guy's channel:

He will be doing a GTA Definitive Edition video soon.

5 hours ago, Blue Blood said:

I know that these games have their problems, I know that they're shitty ports. But I'll be getting my PS4 back at some point. Are these games playable enough on that platform? I'm almost certainly not going to get this collection anywhere near full price, because of how expensive it is and how low the quality is. But would it truly be an awful experience, or are the games intact enough to still be playable and enjoyable even if inferior to their original versions? The general QOL improvements, such as better controls for driving and shooting or autosaves, speak volumes to me. Those sorts of small issues make it difficult for me to go back to games that I really enjoyed several years ago. 

I honestly feel like it needs to be said - the quality of the games are being severely overblown. That is not to excuse Grove Street Games for the numerous bugs, weird graphical oddities, performance problems and numerous other issues that have been cropping up. Now, I will admit - I got the trilogy as a birthday present, so I didn't have to pay for it, but for my value at least, what I've played of GTA3 has been more than playable, and tbh, it's been better than my original experience with GTA3 from the gameplay and QOL enhancements alone.

Should you get this trilogy now, in the state that it's in, at full price? Probably not, no. But it's very far from unplayable, odd crashes included. The only time it got really annoying for me was doing the paramedic side mission, and that's because the side mission itself has always been garbage since the PS2 days, and the remaster didn't do much to fix it. And frankly, if you are a newcomer, the gameplay changes alone probably still make it the better avenue for you, even if I do think it's worth tracking down the originals if you like the remasters enough.

Now, your performance will depend on console - PS4 is stuck at 30fps in all modes while Pro can go up to 50 in Performance, but for my part, I'm on a PS5, and while there's dips at certain points, it's not been anywhere near unplayable for me, and for most of it, has been around 50-60, even if it should be 60fps.

That said, this isn't a scenario where you have to shell out £55 on a gamble to see if you'll like the remaster or not - you can try for yourself beforehand - San Andreas DE is on Game Pass as is if you have an Xbox, and GTA3 DE will be coming to PS Now next month, so you can always get a subscription for either, try them out, and see if they're passable enough for you.

1 hour ago, Jango said:

Since R* removed the originals from every digital store, you can only play them if you already own a copy, or by pirating it. The original games on PC were a drag to set up in modern computers, it barely even worked. It was thanks to the modding community that A LOT of things got fixed and restored. As for the versions that were available on consoles (PS4 and Xbox), they were the same as we have now, terrible ports of the mobile versions, but without the Unreal Engine flare and those QoL changes, so basically, not very worth it either. But then again, they costed 9 bucks or so, not 60.

No they weren't. They were straight emulations of the PS2 version with the songs that they lost licenses to removed.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

I honestly feel like it needs to be said - the quality of the games are being severely overblown. That is not to excuse Grove Street Games for the numerous bugs, weird graphical oddities, performance problems and numerous other issues that have been cropping up. Now, I will admit - I got the trilogy as a birthday present, so I didn't have to pay for it, but for my value at least, what I've played of GTA3 has been more than playable, and tbh, it's been better than my original experience with GTA3 from the gameplay and QOL enhancements alone.

Should you get this trilogy now, in the state that it's in, at full price? Probably not, no. But it's very far from unplayable, odd crashes included. The only time it got really annoying for me was doing the paramedic side mission, and that's because the side mission itself has always been garbage since the PS2 days, and the remaster didn't do much to fix it. And frankly, if you are a newcomer, the gameplay changes alone probably still make it the better avenue for you, even if I do think it's worth tracking down the originals if you like the remasters enough.

Now, your performance will depend on console - PS4 is stuck at 30fps in all modes while Pro can go up to 50 in Performance, but for my part, I'm on a PS5, and while there's dips at certain points, it's not been anywhere near unplayable for me, and for most of it, has been around 50-60, even if it should be 60fps.

That said, this isn't a scenario where you have to shell out £55 on a gamble to see if you'll like the remaster or not - you can try for yourself beforehand - San Andreas DE is on Game Pass as is if you have an Xbox, and GTA3 DE will be coming to PS Now next month, so you can always get a subscription for either, try them out, and see if they're passable enough for you.

No they weren't. They were straight emulations of the PS2 version with the songs that they lost licenses to removed.

My mistake, it was the PS3 version that was a port of the mobile version, which was made by War Drum Studios, now known as Grove Street Games AKA the devs of the Definitive Edition. So basically, @Blue Blood, your second best way to play these games was on PS4 (the first being PC with the mod fixes). The Definitive Edition is actually port of the PS3 port.

• Thumbs Up 1

If you're a newcomer, the better option is still playing the PC versions which never had the control issues that the console versions of Vice City and 3 had in the first place; and plug your DS4/360 controller into your computer if you need to fly a helicopter. Even if you don't want to take the chance with Steam key resellers having keys leftover from before they were delisted, they were sold physical for long after the original console versions went out of print; and you still sometimes see San Andreas in random Wal-Mart PC software bins among the dozens of Sims 3 expansion packs and the like.

• Thumbs Up 2

The best way to play GTA3, Vice City and San Andreas is on PC with the definitive edition project mods(Yes, the fans actually named their versions that way before Rockstar). That being said the PS2 emulations on PS4 are very good versions even if they are missing certain songs.

First patch is now out:

https://support.rockstargames.com/articles/4410898533395/Grand-Theft-Auto-The-Trilogy-The-Definitive-Edition-Title-Update-Notes-1-02-PlayStation-5-PlayStation-4-Xbox-Series-X-S-Xbox-One

Also for those that missed it, Rockstar have confirmed the original PC versions of the trilogy are coming back, and that the remasters will be receiving multiple patches to bring them up to snuff, apparently:

https://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/393o373751k48k/a-note-from-the-rockstar-games-team-re-grand-theft-auto-the-trilogy-th?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=o_social&utm_campaign=gta-trilogy_announcement_update-2021111

Hi everyone,

We want to provide an update regarding the unexpected technical issues that came to light as part of the launch of Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition.

Firstly, we want to sincerely apologize to everyone who has encountered issues playing these games.

The Grand Theft Auto series — and the games that make up this iconic trilogy — are as special to us as we know they are to fans around the world. The updated versions of these classic games did not launch in a state that meets our own standards of quality, or the standards our fans have come to expect.

We have ongoing plans to address the technical issues and to improve each game going forward. With each planned update, the games will reach the level of quality that they deserve to be.

A new Title Update is on the way in the coming days for all versions of Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition that will address a number of issues. We will update everyone as soon as it is live.

In the meantime, it pains us to mention that we are hearing reports of members of the development teams being harassed on social media. We would kindly ask our community to please maintain a respectful and civil discourse around this release as we work through these issues.

While one of the goals of the Definitive Editions was to allow players to enjoy these games on modern platforms for many years to come, we also understand that some of you would still like to have the previous classic versions available for purchase.

We will be adding the classic PC versions of Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, and Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas back to the Rockstar Store shortly as a bundle. Additionally, everyone who has purchased Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition for PC from the Rockstar Store through June 30, 2022, will receive these classic versions in their Rockstar Games Launcher library at no additional cost. We will update everyone as soon as these are back in the Rockstar Store.

Once again, we'd like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding while we work through these updates to ensure these games meet everyone's justifiably high standards.

Sincerely,
Rockstar Games

Bruh, no one's gonna buy that apologize note LMAO. This was completely Rockstar and TakeTwo's fault. I'm just glad they realized how stupid and evil was their decision to remove the original games from the stores and fixed that. As for the Definitive Edition getting fixed, I'm reaaaaaally not holding my breath.