Awoo.

Would you split Chaotix?

MetalSkulkBane

Let's pretend for a second that Sonic characters aren't limited to cameos and racing tittles (or let's talk about IDW). Would you prefer more stories with Team Chaotix as a group or solo adventures?

Usually I am all about breaking the routine. Omega and Rouge need their "me" time so badly, rather than being Shadow's sidekicks. But with Chaotix I was always uncertain. Like they need each other to bounce off. Vector works fine solo, but I feel Espio for example is way blander solo (Charmy basically never got a chance to test himself).

Thoughts?

Absolutely not. The characters work best as a trio - after all, their reinterpretation was in Sonic Heroes, a game where 3 protagonists lead a story at the same time. Even Vector just seems awkward on his own which irks me because they always put him on his own in spinoffs. 

If there was ever a Chaotix centered story - god willing - it might be worth exploring the characters as individuals if they ever get split up for any reason. Only to reconvene later, of course. But Charmy, Espio, even Vector leading a solo story? Nah, wouldn't work very well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Vector works fine alone because he's a versatile character, but no, no need to split the Chaotix, they are a fantastic family, I would add Silver to the team honestly, he already does detective work like them a lot, he worked with Espio in Rivals 2, with Vector in TSR, with all 3 in Forces in the resistance. I say do it.

I like them as a group, but Espio is the only one I'd want to see on a solo adventure, especially with how underutilized he's always been. As @FlameStreamsaid, a ninja-focused story would be really interesting.

When necessary.

If the three can stand strong as individuals, it would only make them stronger when they operate as a group. There’s nothing wrong with them splitting up—they were split in moments during ShTH, but that didn’t stop them from being the Chaotix or from coming back together in the end.

Folks need to stop thinking of it as a permanent thing and more as a “when appropriate” thing. It wouldn’t be the end of them as a group—and honestly, if I ever had the chance, I’d actually expand them by returning Mighty and Ray to their group.

As for how I’d do it, I’d play to their strengths. Espio’s a Ninja that specializes in stealth—use him for anything that requires recon and infiltration, making him their equivalent to Rouge the Bat. Vector is their buff leader—honestly, that’s so well rounded that you’d be more hard-pressed finding places where he couldn’t work. Charmy is actually the more difficult one for me to think of as putting in a solo role—he’s one of the smallest characters and can fly, so you could work with him as a scout, but I would actually team Charmy up with another character, maybe Tails or Cream to fly alongside him, or Amy just to annoy her, maybe even work alongside characters like Sonic or Shadow and just go with their flow to see the antics that would produce.

All in all, it’s really a matter of taking what you know about characters and putting them in a situation to see how they’d go through it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I wouldn't mind them trying it. Espio and Charmy really need more moments for themselves as characters imo and a solo Vector story sounds funny.

There's nothing inherently wrong with splitting them up to focus on one or two having their own story, but I don't think there's any rush to do it at this point. The Chaotix are hardly overexposed; when they do show up, they're typically sniffing around the periphery of the story, not at the heart of it. I don't think they've ever been given as much focus as they got in Heroes since then, and that's a game infamously light on story and cutscenes. If they've got an idea in mind they can go for it, but there's still plenty of room to explore them as a team before it'd start to feel like they need to mix things up.

• Thumbs Up 1

The Chaotix are secondary characters, even by the standards of this series. They've never headlined a single game once, usually being the comic relief of the story. I'd argue how effective splitting them up would be considering the reinterpretations were established as primarily a trio, even when compared to Team Sonic or Team Dark, who's individuals members have all had some time in the spotlight to themselves, barring Omega. 

If it were to happen, Vector is the only one who has struck out on his own to an extent. I wouldn't mind seeing it though, maybe establish some motivations separate from each other than just "Get money" 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/15/2021 at 10:14 AM, MetalSkulkBane said:

Let's pretend for a second that Sonic characters aren't limited to cameos and racing tittles (or let's talk about IDW). Would you prefer more stories with Team Chaotix as a group or solo adventures?

Usually I am all about breaking the routine. Omega and Rouge need their "me" time so badly, rather than being Shadow's sidekicks. But with Chaotix I was always uncertain. Like they need each other to bounce off. Vector works fine solo, but I feel Espio for example is way blander solo (Charmy basically never got a chance to test himself).

Thoughts?

^Also the odd DLC here and there. 

I feel like having them and the Babylons split up is not a priority unless we have an anthology of them together, with each getting their own story to explore them.

I prefer them together, they bounce off of each other well, with Charmy as the more child-like fun loving one, Espio as the serious one, and especially Vector as the frontman (I think they shouldn't make his main character trait money but that's tangentially related).

Despite that, though, I think if written strongly enough they can go solo. I remember seeing in a YouTube video how Charmy was actually pretty developed, being a prince of a kingdom and having a whole character arc. I think nowadays they should stick more with his established character, but they could still do something like that, use these characters to expand the lore.

Another thing they could do is just have different character pairings. Charmy and Tails seems like an obvious choice (Both were flying characters in Heroes and they're both on the younger side of the cast) but why not have, say, Espio and Cream, or Vector and Knuckles, etc. I think there's just a lot they can do with these characters. I would like at least one of them to have a playable experience in a non-mobile game sometime, maybe Vector since we haven't seen a lot of him on the gameplay side (outside of Heroes and I guess Chaotix if that counts).

• Thumbs Up 2

I kinda would like that, especially as it would certainly be just for one story. And I feel it could be fun to have them paired with other character, it would be interesting to see other side of them.

All in all, I'm all for them being mostly "Team Chaotix", but I wouldn't mind some different pair-up of character in the saga once in a while.