Awoo.

Should SEGA take a break from making Sonic Games?

Rabbitearsblog

1 hour ago, KingMario05 said:

Source? With them hyping up the game that started all this over stuff like Unleashed or the Adventures, I... wouldn't be so sure about that.

We had a 4 (5 when Rangers releases) year gap with no main series games, which is pretty significant for Sonic

• Thumbs Up 2

On 9/7/2021 at 4:02 PM, Rabbitearsblog said:

The thing is is when will Sonic Team ever get a new creative team?  Does SEGA have to put in new members for the team or will someone at Sonic Team finally quit after so many years?

They don't really have a strong incentive to change anything right now. A lot of people are enjoying the Sonic series as it is. It won't be any time soon unless Rangers is some sort of disaster(and just going by ST's output in the last 10 years it probably won't be.)

So....just relax and enjoy yourself for now. We're in cruise control.

7 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

We had a 4 (5 when Rangers releases) year gap with no main series games, which is pretty significant for Sonic

They've been working on Rangers since late 2018/early 2019. They've been toiling away at it this entire time. It would have already been out by now if not for the pandemic. I can hardly call that a break.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Wraith said:

They don't really have a strong incentive to change anything right now. A lot of people are enjoying the Sonic series as it is. It won't be any time soon unless Rangers is some sort of disaster(and just going by ST's output in the last 10 years it probably won't be.)

So....just relax and enjoy yourself for now. We're in cruise control.

Yeah, I'm trying to enjoy myself, but the incident with Sonic Colors Ultimate and how they released that game unfinished has me a bit concerned about how Sonic Rangers will come out.

2 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Yeah, I'm trying to enjoy myself, but the incident with Sonic Colors Ultimate and how they released that game unfinished has me a bit concerned about how Sonic Rangers will come out.

Colors Ultimate, its development, and its choices has quite literally nothing to do with Rangers besides being a Sonic game. Not made by the same team, doesn't have the same priority to SEGA (a filler remaster vs. the next big game).

That's like saying Paper Mario Sticker Star means Super Mario 3D World would suck.

Even if they did have a relation, if rumors are true, then Rangers would be in actual development for 4 years by 2022. If they are not true, then it still has about over a year in development at least.

Edited by NoKaine

I just wonder why SEGA doesn't seem to be trying hard enough to make the Sonic games come out at least less buggy and halfway decent?  The whole controversy with Sonic Colors Ultimate just has me scratching my head about why they didn't just delayed the game's release to fix the bugs first instead of just going ahead with releasing the game with the bugs in tact.  It would pretty much ruin their reputation in just releasing a half finished game.

Sad thing is, Sonic Colors Ultimate was delayed a year ago, it was meant to be released in 2020 (Hence the hilariously late Sonic movie promotion) the game had 2 years. I wonder how much time you even need for a Wii Port? Depends on the amount of workforce you have and their skill level, I suppose. I get the impression Time wasn't necesairely the problem. I mean, heck, pretty much every single Sonic game since Boom Fire and Ice has gained an extra year of development time, yet most of them are still very meh. Seems Sega's generous with time, but not with anything else and the teams just doesn't have the budget or workforce to get anything done.
Or perhaps a management issue. I mean, look into the Sonic 06 or Rise of Lyric development cycle and you'll notice mismanagement is the primary culprit of everything falling apart. And then I remember that shakey port of Shenmue 1&2 recently that was also surrounded with rumors that there was a lot of in-fighting and uncooperative rivalry going on. I don't know if it's true or not, but the product's end result speaks volumes.

Whatever the case may be, I personally put little faith in extra time being the solution. There seems to be more severe issues going on behind the doors. If the management is terrible, no amount of extra time is going to do any good.

• Thumbs Up 2

Sonic games have always had notoriously troubled development cycles, and this has been true since the second game. Sometimes it works in their favor and we get a genuinely great game despite the issues faced getting there, or we get something extremely tepid. There's really no way of judging until we have the game in our hands. 

1 hour ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Sad thing is, Sonic Colors Ultimate was delayed a year ago, it was meant to be released in 2020 (Hence the hilariously late Sonic movie promotion) the game had 2 years. I wonder how much time you even need for a Wii Port? Depends on the amount of workforce you have and their skill level, I suppose. I get the impression Time wasn't necesairely the problem. I mean, heck, pretty much every single Sonic game since Boom Fire and Ice has gained an extra year of development time, yet most of them are still very meh. Seems Sega's generous with time, but not with anything else and the teams just doesn't have the budget or workforce to get anything done.
Or perhaps a management issue. I mean, look into the Sonic 06 or Rise of Lyric development cycle and you'll notice mismanagement is the primary culprit of everything falling apart. And then I remember that shakey port of Shenmue 1&2 recently that was also surrounded with rumors that there was a lot of in-fighting and uncooperative rivalry going on. I don't know if it's true or not, but the product's end result speaks volumes.

Whatever the case may be, I personally put little faith in extra time being the solution. There seems to be more severe issues going on behind the doors. If the management is terrible, no amount of extra time is going to do any good.

Hmmm...I didn't know that there was behind the scene drama at SEGA.  Might explain why the games haven't been in the best condition for years.  I just hope that the management gets better over there soon.

17 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

A rumor from SOAH city(the place that initially leaked the game) said that SEGA basically played hot potato wrt who was developing it. When it was first delayed in 2020 sega took the project off of whoever the original team was(doesn't say i it was in house or another developer) and gave it to Blind Squirrel, who then had extensive trouble finishing it themselves.

It's a rumor for now but it makes sense to me.

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

A rumor from SOAH city(the place that initially leaked the game) said that SEGA basically played hot potato wrt who was developing it. When it was first delayed in 2020 sega took the project off of whoever the original team was(doesn't say i it was in house or another developer) and gave it to Blind Squirrel, who then had extensive trouble finishing it themselves.

It's a rumor for now but it makes sense to me.

If this is true and this information were to somehow get to the public, I bet a lot of people would be so upset about this.