Awoo.

Pokémon Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl & Legends: Arceus

Sonictrainer

12 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

The Pokémon Center's Halloween 2021 official art is out

51408229207_a47c34776d_k.jpg

Circle head Pikachu never looks good. Dunno how that's ended up being the brands icon over normal Pikachu. 

• Thumbs Up 1

55 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Are they trying to make it “more clear” it’s a evolution of Pichu or something? 

I doubt it's anything like that. Pikachu's design has progressively changed over the years to have a slimmer body and rounder, more defined head. Gigantamax Pikachu is even designed to look like OG Pikachu. Whilst the games and anime have kind of settled on one design that's been more or less consistent since about Gen 3 to 5, the Pokémon Centre and general branding for the series opted instead for a design with an even smaller body and a big, round head. It's cuter and has a much more defined silhouette.

Cuteness is just the best mass market appeal for Pokémon. Just look at the designs of starter Pokémon as the years have gone by. Big round heads, ting bodies and minimal detailing. It's just the image that they're going for these days.

Pikachu, being the mascot, being progressively more rounded and cuter would of course be subjected to it the most. 

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone's interested, Legends Arceus pre-orders on the Official UK Nintendo Store will automatically be upgraded to include a nice looking steelbook and an Arceus figurine (although those figures are always super tiny and subject to sloppily applied decals for detailing). You can place an order now and you won't be charged until dispatch.

I'm still very much looking forward to PLA, and even BDSP now that some time has passed. I guess that BDSP are still going to be good, simply because DP are such good games regardless. I just hope that there are no shitty modern Pokémon features forced in there, like the automatic EXP share our excessive tutorials. 

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

New trailer for Arceus dropped:

Features some new characters, character customization, and a new Pokémon, Kleavor.

• Thumbs Up 1

Definitely getting some Scyther vibes from Kleavor. Perhaps there's a Hisuian Scyther out there that evolves into this?

Either way, seems like these Noble Pokemon will likely be the big boss fights of the game. Kinda reminds me of Sun and Moon's Totem Pokemon, to an extent.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, NegaMix said:

Definitely getting some Scyther vibes from Kleavor. Perhaps there's a Hisuian Scyther out there that evolves into this?

Yeah, I saw it mentioned somewhere and double-checked the website but it sounds like a Wyrdeer situation where Scyther gets a new form, but the base is likely the same (which makes sense since Scyther are already found in Sinnoh).

• Thumbs Up 1

The new twist for HMs in BDSP is that they're quick-selected from the Pokétch, and call upon specifically wild Pokemon to use them.  In other words, you no longer have to make room for them on your team!  This seems like a good compromise; I'd have preferred it if it called on Pokemon from your team and boxes, so that you can at least pretend it's your Pokemon doing the work, but this seems like a concession to avoid having to model too many different animations for each HM.  The Legends: Arceus model where it seems it's basically PokéRide, but with special Pokemon you own, is probably my favourite interpretation, though.

I've seen some complaints elsewhere about the game using Diamond/Pearl gym designs rather than the superior Platinum gyms, but the pattern has been very obvious for a while now.  ILCA have been commissioned to make Diamond/Pearl remakes, and their decisions will always adhere to Diamond and Pearl, ignoring all subsequent enhancements.

We’ve cooked up something special for you, Trainers—it’s the latest news about the Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Pokémon Shining Pearl games! 

(And Poffins. Lots of Poffins.) 

Noble Pokémon?

The latest trailer for the Pokémon Legends: Arceus game is here! Get the details on these special Pokémon and find out what else you’ll encounter during your journey through the Hisui region!

BD/SP Updated Feature - Amity Square

Spoiler

amity_square.jpg

Amity Square in Hearthome City is a relaxing place where you can spend time with your Pokémon.

• You can play with up to six Pokémon at once.
  • See how much fun your Pokémon are having.
  • Call your Pokémon to you by whistling.
  • Preserve precious memories with your Pokémon in the “Album” on your Nintendo Switch’s HOME menu.

p22_06.jpg

After you’ve visited Amity Square, you’ll be able to walk with one Pokémon at a time in towns and along routes.

Different Pokémon move and act differently, so try walking together with a variety of partners.

Your Pokémon will react and respond to you in all sorts of ways when you talk to them during your adventure.

BD/SP Updated Feature - Poffins

Spoiler

928_p12_01.jpg

Poffins are snacks that can raise Pokémon’s conditions, such as Coolness or Cuteness. By raising these conditions, you can get higher scores during the Visual Evaluation of Super Contest Shows.

928_p12_03.jpg

A Poffin’s level depends on your cooking skills—the higher the Poffin’s level, the easier it is to raise a Pokémon’s conditions. The trick to good cooking is to stir the pot at just the right speed.

BD/SP Updated Feature - Pokétch

Spoiler

928_p07_04.jpg

The Pokétch is a handy gadget you’ll receive on your journey that’s loaded up with various apps for all sorts of situations.

928_p08_03.jpg

The Pokétch allows you to call on wild Pokémon to help you out. They’ll use hidden moves like Cut to chop down trees that block your way, or Rock Climb to scale steep cliffs. The Hidden Moves app makes it possible for you to go places you could never reach on your own.

Legends: Arceus - Kleavor

Spoiler

pokemon_kleavor.png

928_p06_01.jpg

• Kleavor
  • Category: Axe Pokémon
  • Type: Bug/Rock
  • Height: 5'11"
  • Weight: 196.2 lbs.
  • Evolves from Scyther

Special minerals found in the Hisui region cause Scyther to evolve into this Pokémon. Parts of its body have hardened into stone. The stone parts often get chipped during fierce battles, and Kleavor that have survived many battles will display larger chipping across their bodies. However, the chipping actually makes these stone parts sharper, increasing their slicing power. It is said that the people of Hisui once used pieces of stone that had fallen from Kleavor to craft tools.

Even a casual swing from one of Kleavor’s large, axe-like arms is capable of delivering a devastating blow, dealing massive damage to the hardiest of opponents. Kleavor uses its arms to carve symbols into tree trunks and even chop trees down to mark its territory. If you come across trees with markings made by a sharp blade or a row of trees cut down in a crisscross pattern, it could be the doing of Kleavor.

Legends: Arceus - Alpha Pokémon

Spoiler

928_p12_05.jpg

During your expeditions, you’ll sometimes run into alphas: Pokémon that are larger than normal and have glowing red eyes. Alphas will chase you down and attack you when they notice you. They’re tough opponents, but they’ll become great allies if you manage to catch them. They may even drop rare items if you defeat them in battle.

Legend: Arceus -  Nobles & Wardens

Spoiler

928_p03_01.jpg

There are special Pokémon in the Hisui region that have received a mysterious blessing. Some of these Pokémon, known as nobles, are particularly powerful, while others are said to willingly assist the people of the region. Your encounters with these special Pokémon will be a key part of your story.

928_p03_03.jpg

The people of the Hisui region hold a great respect for these special Pokémon and task wardens to look after them. The wardens protect the special Pokémon by making sure their territories remain safe and by providing offerings of food and water.

928_p09_01.jpg

The mingling of people and Pokémon is still not the norm in the Hisui region. People who live alongside Pokémon are rare, and people who lead their Pokémon in battle are even rarer. However, some people—such as certain wardens—have forged strong bonds with Pokémon and may challenge you to a battle.

Legends: Arceus - Frenzied Noble Pokémon

Spoiler

928_p04_01.jpg928_p04_03.jpg

A strange phenomenon is causing nobles to suddenly fly into a frenzy, making them incredibly difficult to rein in. As part of the Survey Corps, you will be called upon to quell the frenzies of the nobles.

The bodies of frenzied Pokémon grow in size and shine brightly. Simply defeating these Pokémon in a Pokémon battle will not calm them. To quell them, you will have to hit them with balms made using these noble Pokémon’s favorite foods.

It won’t be easy to hit a rampaging noble with balms. They will relentlessly unleash powerful attacks at you. The moment you see an opportunity, hit them with as many balms as you can. Just like with throwing a Poké Ball, aim carefully.

While nobles are formidable opponents, defeating them in battle will cause them to be temporarily dazed, making it easier for you to hit them with more balms and gain the upper hand!

928_p05_04.jpg

Legends: Arceus - Mai

Spoiler

story_mai.png928_p07_01.jpg

Mai is in charge of caring for a special Wyrdeer that can be found in the Obsidian Fieldlands. She and her partner, Munchlax, grew up together as if they were siblings.

She appears to be Marley's ancestor.

Legends: Arceus - Lian

Spoiler

story_lian.png

928_p07_02.jpg

Lian cares for Kleavor, the lord of the Obsidian Fieldlands. Though young, he has been given the role of warden because he has proven himself to be very talented.

He's an ancestor of Clay.

Legends: Arceus - Iscan

Spoiler

story_iscan.png928_p08_02.jpg

Iscan lives by the sea and cares for a special Basculegion that makes its home in the area. He can be a bit easy to frighten and isn’t too fond of Ghost-type Pokémon.

He is an ancestor for Marlon.

Legends: Arceus - Arezu

Spoiler

story_arezu.png928_p08_01.jpg

Arezu feels a great deal of responsibility as a warden, and because of this, she tends to try to solve problems all by herself. She is tasked with the care of a certain lady Pokémon.

She's an ancestor of Mars.

Legends: Arceus - Celestia Flute

Spoiler

928_p10_01.jpg

During your adventure, you’ll receive a Celestica Flute. You can play the flute to summon special Pokémon that will let you ride them. Riding these Pokémon on land, across water, or even through the skies will help you more freely explore the Hisui region.

928_p10_02.jpg

Wyrdeer has powerful, sturdy legs, and riding it will allow you to gallop across the land at great speed. By having Wyrdeer dash forward, you’ll be able to give yourself an even greater speed boost. You can also have it jump to leap over obstacles.

928_p11_01.jpg

Basculegion will be a powerful ally when it comes to completing your Pokédex, as it can carry you across bodies of water. Basculegion is also able to launch itself from the water’s surface, letting you leap effortlessly over obstacles in your way.

928_p11_04.jpg

Hisuian Braviary will let you soar through the skies, flying with ease across great chasms and expanding the ways you can travel and explore the region. From your vantage point in the air, you’ll have a great view of what kinds of Pokémon and items might be below, which will aid you on your surveys.

Legends: Arceus - Arc Phone

Spoiler

gameplay_phone.jpg928_p16_02.jpg

Early on in your adventure, you’ll receive a device called the Arc Phone. Its distinctive appearance might lead you to suspect it has some connection to the Mythical Pokémon Arceus. This device appears to contain some sort of strange power, and it seems it will help guide you on your journey.

Legends: Arceus - Jubilife Village Shops

Spoiler

928_p13_03.jpg

You can change your outfit and hairstyle in Jubilife Village. At the clothier, you can obtain everyday kimonos as well as fancy suits, hats, and even masks. Get your hair styled and colored at the hairdresser’s. Mix and match your clothes and hairstyle to create just the right look for you.

928_p14_06.jpg

The photography studio is where you can take pictures with your Pokémon. Change the background and the look of the photo. Strike different poses and make different faces. Even the same Pokémon can produce wildly different photos, depending on your creativity.

928_p15_01.jpg

If you used up all your items on a previous excursion, you can replenish your supplies at the general store or make more items via crafting! You can also buy new crafting recipes and materials from the craftworks!

928_p15_04.jpg

You’ll need to catch lots of Pokémon to complete your Pokédex, but you can only take six Pokémon with you at a time in your party. Choose the right Pokémon for each mission before heading out on your surveys, and leave the rest of your Pokémon at the pastures.

Ngl, I was REALLY worried when I heard that HMs are coming back, but I'm at least glad they're utilising Wild Pokemon now instead of needing you to teach them to your Pokemon. Sinnoh was particularly egregious with them in the past if I recall, so this is a plus in my book (even if it's not as visually interesting compared to Sun/Moon or Legends' Ride Pokemon).

Also lol at Bidoof/Bibarel seemingly being called on for most of the HMs. They know their purpose...

Nice little trailer shadow drop! my opinions:

BD/SP - Liking the QOL updates (despite lack of definitive use of Platinum content I haven't played this generation of games so won't really notice). And Naff Chibi-esque visuals on the over-world aside (moreso the character models than anything else) I am actually looking forward to this one the closer it gets to release. Water looks dang gorgeous though.  

Legends Arceus - The more I see of this title the less appealing this game becomes. It's becoming staggeringly apparent that Legends is less a leap forward for the series and more of a dart-board approach of fumbled ideas for different things to include in the game and see what sticks best.

So far we have a hodge podge of Gamecube-esque visuals (and that's being generous), a weird mish mash of time-period eras that has me confused when this game is supposed to be set (the cowboy stuff and the mobile phone for example... Wasn't this suppose to be like a faux feudal era sort of thing??) ...unless there's some time travel thing I am unaware of.

It's similarly disappointing to see that 'trainers' still don't know how to swim in an open world. I want to like what I'm seeing, but there is so much not to be inspired by that has been done better elsewhere (and by smaller developers in some cases). For what is supposedly the future of the Pokemon Series it feels like Gamefreak actually might only have some of their staff/team working on this as a side project whilst the rest put efforts into a Sw/Sh successor... when honestly I would have felt they'd have been better off putting all their poke-eggs into this basket. Will have to see with this one next year. 

I'd completely missed the "Arc Phone" thing. The fuck is the point of this game being set in the past of they're just going to cop out like that? Yeah, I'm in agreement with you @Son-icka that PLA is looking increasingly like a hodge-podge. The more we see, the more the cracks are showing. It's starting to feel like they're not entirely confident in deviating from the established Pokémon formula and that they don't want to, or aren't capable of, deviating from the series' established tropes. The announcement trailer was rough as fuck, but it felt like they were really trying to start fresh. Now it's clear that that wasn't ever the case. A shame.

I'm still interested in the game, don't get me wrong. But it's definitely not what it was originally cracked up to be. And it's funny to me that BDSP still seems to be going from strength to strength despite being a tile-for-tile remake with a vomit-inducing artstyle.

• Thumbs Up 1

Agreed, it’s been an almost surprising reversal of events for both games. 

I was dubious about Legends from the start - but was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt since it was about a year away from the initial announcement.

The Gen 4 remakes really unimpressed me at the time, so I figured that Legends would be the one to hopefully keep an eye on.

Now I feel much more inclined to purchase BD/SP ironically for an authentic Pokémon experience. I really thought Legends was supposed to be their telegraphing of leaving the baseline series behind to attempt something new… but now I’m not so sure.

Frankly, that Pokémon is one of the largest franchises in the world makes it more bewildering to me that the original developer Gamefreak continue to struggle to create decent looking/working titles. Do their staff just have a lack of development experience with the switch platform, or do they have a their of lack of staff in general for their team? Neither of which make any sense when you consider what they could accomplish. 

Then on the flipside you have companies like Monolith Soft constantly hiring and expediting their team to other Nintendo developers for help with world building, and you end up with game worlds as large and vast as BOTW or the Xenoblade Series.

Actually, The fact that the Xenoblade Chronicles exists on Switch, but then also previously on 3DS and originally Wii makes Arceus Legends look extremely embarrassing in comparison. XC1 is a ten year old game with one of the most gigantic and visually interesting worlds to explore, not to mention hundreds of free roaming monsters to see & battle (on the field maps) and each with their own ecosystems and logical enemy placements.

I know it’s wrong to hold development teams up to other teams standards. But seriously Gamefreak - come the fuck on now. 

Legends reminds me of Sonic 1, in a good way, and in a neutral way: the sense that it most resembles the earliest creation of the game idea.  if i had a switch i am not sure i would buy it without seeing actual playthroughs first! :)       The promotional footage can't really show what it will be like to actually patiently explore the landscape and to experiment however it is possible to do!

Can't say I'm seeing this reversal of quality others do with the recent trailer. Phone is kinda dumb, but otherwise most of the stuff I've seen didn't get much of a reaction out of me than "pretty cool", like I'm neutral or positive on the new stuff and still I still thinks looked in a tough state well...still does. BDSP has managed to turn things around petty well with each ultimately I'm still looking forward to Arceus more 

9 hours ago, Soniman said:

Can't say I'm seeing this reversal of quality others do with the recent trailer. Phone is kinda dumb, but otherwise most of the stuff I've seen didn't get much of a reaction out of me than "pretty cool", like I'm neutral or positive on the new stuff and still I still thinks looked in a tough state well...still does. BDSP has managed to turn things around petty well with each ultimately I'm still looking forward to Arceus more 

It's not that the quality has been reversed or anything. It's more that it's not looking like such a bold and confident new title anymore, compared to what the original trailer showed us. 

Personally, I think that my excitement for PLA is waning a bit simply because BDSP is arriving in little over a month whilst PLA is still a bit further off. It's logistics, and unless PLA suddenly starts to look absolutely awful or something, then I'll just get more excited for it when it's approaching early next year. A January release is still so strange though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh!  i hadn't considered it directly until now, but, it must be so that there is as much space as possible between its release and BotW 2!!

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

Oh!  i hadn't considered it directly until now, but, it must be so that there is as much space as possible between its release and BotW 2!!

At first glance I was doubtful, but that makes more sense than I was giving credit for; it benefits neither Nintendo nor GameFreak to be releasing both games at around the same time if they have a remotely similar vibe.  I was thinking that a more pertinent reason for the release schedule might be to synergise between the release of two Sinnoh products without having them cannibalise each other.  Possibly throw in BDSP not having originally been planned but subsequently being conceived and farmed out both to provide a more familiar Sinnoh revisit whilst also buying the Legends team more time.

https://www.ign.com/articles/pokemon-legends-map-open-world

Surprised this is a thing at all to be honest as I personally thought it was quite clear that the "open enviornments" would be segmented anyway... like 6 wild areas sown together with loading seams in the middle around the mountain. 

There's nothing wrong with that of course as a lot of games work this way. But that we are still looking at N64 - Gamecube era looking environments in HD that isn't a seamless fully open world once again diminishes enthusiasm for the title.

Per Serebii:

Previews for Pokémon Brilliant Diamond & Shining Pearl have been released through various outlets. Within these there's some new information about the games. First, according to Vooks, the game will now include Auto Save, which can be disabled. According to Vooks and Nintendo World Report, Experience Share is also back and affects all Pokémon, but like Sword & Shield, it cannot be turned off. The mechanics including QoL upgrades shown within past generations have also returned such as showing type effectiveness in battle. TMs are also single use in the game, but there will be opportunities to get more
According to Polygon, you can change the Pokémon in your party with Pokémon in storage at any time.

Permanent Exp. Share is back because adding toggles that were in previous entries is too hard. Though the worst thing is TMs are back to single use, something literally no one asked for and we had moved on from well over a decade ago. Disappointing but it is what it is.

Yuck. Perma-EXP Share is bad enough, but they decided to keep TMs as breakable?! Ugh. At this point, HMs aside, I feel like I'd just be better off finding a copy of Platinum instead...

Listen to that slapping soundtrack 

Takes me back to 2003 with that fresh midi sound.

And no decorating secret bases is like.....why even have the feature then that's literally the main appeal how can you fuck up a simple concept like that?

As opposed to the last news dump that raised my hoped al the news we got this time has been bad, Big oof there 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Absolutely 1

The full video. Holy shit the music is dreadful. Calling bad music MIDIs is cliché and has lost its meaning... But Christ that's exactly what this is. It sounds like something you'd expect to hear in a 1998 Windows game you'd get on a CD in a packet of corn flakes. 

Also fuck the perma EXP share. Fuck that so much. Urgh. 

However, I will say that I don't mind TMs being single use. As long as none of them are one-off items and can instead be obtained infinitely, single use TMs are fine. I like that small bit of strategising that single use TMs mandates. And what I don't like is the ability to change up your team from anywhere. That level of freedom is kind of game breaking. 

I was really coming around to these games despite how much I just can't vibe with the visuals. But nope. They've lost me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't care about exp share but like....just have a toggle and this is a non issue you HAD GAMES WHERE THERE WAS A TOGGLE. Holy shit options are never a bad thing but don't tell that to GF/Nintendo.