Awoo.

Does the Master Emerald hinder Knuckles' potential as a character?

Mountaindewandsprite

1 hour ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

@Titan Mecha SonicI have no idea where you getting your info.

Knuckles guards Master Emerald in IDW

Knuckles guards Master Emerald in last issues of Archie Comics.
Including Mega Drive.

Knuckles guards Master Emerald in Forces tie-in Comics.

Lego games, official description, he's pretty much always guarding Master Emerald... except the actual games.

Sweet Chaos, I'm convinced. Let's go with "Don't ask, don't tell" rule.

I prefer sticking Knuckles to be a Guardian AND keep appearing in games with no explanation, over Sega giving us answer that ruins everything.

And maybe it it for the best. People want Knuckles to appear a lot AND to be Guardian. If we can accept that Eggman never goes to jail, we might as well  accept that Knuckles keeps taking breaks.

Yeah, I think this is best option,

In most of your sources I see comics or tie in comics. I was wondering if Knux being Guardian of the Floating Island is mentioned in-game or in the story modes. 

I have had one answer that he mentions collecting the shards of the Master Emerald in SA2. 

My point is much if the Guardian role of Knux is spelled out in comics, tie-ins, and exposition in written form.  Save again for SA2. So perhaps Sega doesn’t feel obligated to make Knux stuck to his Guardian role because its rarely mentioned in gameplay or in the cutscenes. 

Edit: Watched the scene in SA2 of Knux talking about the Master Emerald to Rogue, but no mention of him being its Guardian on the Floating Island yet. 

Knuckles being the one protecting of the Master Emerald would've been mentioned as early as S3&K manuals, which I remind you was back when dialogue was pretty uncommon in games of that format. Next you have Adventure, where he explicitly questions why/how he was entrusted with his duty before going on a journey to repair it.

In fact, his connection to the Master Emerald is mentioned in pretty much every profile he had after that and sometimes beforehand. The discrepancy has always been how he often shows up in games without his duty either being involved or even mentioned in game.

• Fist Bump 1

15 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Knuckles being the one protecting of the Master Emerald would've been mentioned as early as S3&K manuals, which I remind you was back when dialogue was pretty uncommon in games of that format. Next you have Adventure, where he explicitly questions why/how he was entrusted with his duty before going on a journey to repair it.

In fact, his connection to the Master Emerald is mentioned in pretty much every profile he had after that and sometimes beforehand. The discrepancy has always been how he often shows up in games without his duty either being involved or even mentioned in game.

I am watching all the SA2 cutscenes, and Knux calls it “The Master Emerald” and shatters it in shards to prevent its capture by Eggman. But he doesn’t mention being its Guardian, that’s implied or inferred by his knowing you can shatter it, and there is no mention of Floating Island (yet). 

Edit: Fair point about the earlier games not be dialogue heavy. 

2 hours ago, Titan Mecha Sonic said:

I am watching all the SA2 cutscenes, and Knux calls it “The Master Emerald” and shatters it in shards to prevent its capture by Eggman. But he doesn’t mention being its Guardian, that’s implied or inferred by his knowing you can shatter it, and there is no mention of Floating Island (yet). 

Edit: Fair point about the earlier games not be dialogue heavy. 

Knuckles mentions Angel Island in the recap for Wild Canyon. "Once again, the Master Emerald was stolen from Angel Island." He also mentions being it's protector in the recap for Meteor Herd. "The pieces of the Master Emerald I collected are now floating in space. We should have secured them better in the shuttle cargo bay! It's not an easy job protecting the Master Emerald, you know?"

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Plumbers_Helper said:

Ah, the cutscene movie of SA2 I watched  ommited this. Thanks for sharing.