Awoo.

SPECULATION - Sonic's surprising new format of news dump (April 2020)

Red Hot Jack

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

Video games take time and effort and to remake games as big as those were, now would require a lot of time and effort.

Well, yes, but I also think that considering how much SA2 and SA1 have in common in terms of gameplay, and I think with the expectation with the bar set by Crash Bandicoot and Spyro remaking their repsective trilogies for a single release, I can't help but feel like just remaking SA1 by itself would be a little disappointing. I suppose it depends as well if Sega is only going to charge $40 or if they want the full price $60.

If the SA1 remake is true, I do have some expectations. I certainly hope they give more levels and better gameplay to characters like Amy and Epsilon, maybe make Big's fishing just an optional side quest rather than being neccesary for completion, make a decent up to date hub world from Station Square and Mystic Ruins.

I dunno, I can't help but look at the SA1 remake with some cyncism. Here's hoping Sega gives them the time they need, and don't try to rush it out the door.

4 minutes ago, Silvereyes said:

Well, yes, but I also think that considering how much SA2 and SA1 have in common in terms of gameplay, and I think with the expectation with the bar set by Crash Bandicoot and Spyro remaking their repsective trilogies for a single release, I can't help but feel like just remaking SA1 by itself would be a little disappointing. I suppose it depends as well if Sega is only going to charge $40 or if they want the full price $60.

If the SA1 remake is true, I do have some expectations. I certainly hope they give more levels and better gameplay to characters like Amy and Epsilon, maybe make Big's fishing just an optional side quest rather than being neccesary for completion, make a decent up to date hub world from Station Square and Mystic Ruins.

I dunno, I can't help but look at the SA1 remake with some cyncism. Here's hoping Sega gives them the time they need, and don't try to rush it out the door.

sa1 and sa2 actually play mad different in terms of level design and how the characters control and if you were to make the sa1 gameplay onto sa2's level sit would be kind of trash. Especially for me because I think sa2 is a much better game

As for expectations i hope for 1 and 2 they take another pass at the stories, there were expectations in those games then that don't exist now so there is more freedom allowed. Like for example, we know shadow isn't going to day and sa2 isn't gonna be the last sonic game there are things in that game that play into both of those ideas that don't need to exist in the remake. So you know, hope they make fun changes to story stuff

I understand cynicism, why we are here is partially because sega failed so much and kept relying more and more on nostalgia to the point where they are just remaking a thing. I don't modern sega to write the characters in a good way, I don't trust modern sega to get the gameplay correct and to correct issues the gameplay had previously. And I hope they have time and effort yes, but I hope they have someone who knows what they are doing as well

Honestly, if it’s feasible, think I want to see a remake of Adventure. Why? Because in that interview where the headline was, “Iizuka wants to remake Sonic Adventure,” I actually detected passion and enthusiasm in his words. Iizuka seems genuinely fond of his time with Adventure. If he’s confident that he can get the talent necessary to do a SA remake right, and he really thinks he’s up to the task of helming it, then I say go ahead. 

32 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

Honestly, if it’s feasible, think I want to see a remake of Adventure. Why? Because in that interview where the headline was, “Iizuka wants to remake Sonic Adventure,” I actually detected passion and enthusiasm in his words. Iizuka seems genuinely fond of his time with Adventure. If he’s confident that he can get the talent necessary to do a SA remake right, and he really thinks he’s up to the task of helming it, then I say go ahead. 

That is a legit vote for it happening.

49 minutes ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

What do you mean?

You're positive because he seems positive, so it's all around positive.

Wasn't Japan doing a series of such streams? This will probably be part of those Japanese streams that they decided to have this year. I expect another short, some sort of Mania 2, an attempt to pander to Adventure fans, and some bizzare merchandise. Maybe some IDW or mobile game stuff too. Perhaps even a home video release date for the movie, or something really crazy regarding a certain OTHER Sonic Team IP finally getting to represent puzzle games in a certain celebration of gaming...

5 hours ago, Miragnarok said:

Wasn't Japan doing a series of such streams? This will probably be part of those Japanese streams that they decided to have this year.

Yes it's called Sonic Station Live, but this is likely going to be it's own thing as the US account hasn't been advertising those, while they did for this. It would be kind of funny if we got two streams on April 20th though. At the same time I kind of hope it's sooner than that as it would mean a full month delay from the originally planned reveal.

19 hours ago, Whatever the WhoCares said:

It was probably the least stressful time of his career compared to now, hence the fondness lol

I mean, when you're in charge of a team that everyone shits on 24/7 while still demanding quality content but giving inconsistent messages about you want from them (sort of), then you'd probably look fondly on the good old days. At this point, I'm surprised Iizuka's hair hasn't started turning grey and falling out from all the stress.

I really do think Iizuka is competent and can lead a team to make good games, he's been with us since Sonic 3, after all. But when you're working with less-than-talented new members on your team while also likely getting fucked over by the heads of Sega and their idiotic decision making, what really can you do? I've always been of the opinion that Iizuka does not deserve most of the blame the games get.  Honestly, at this point, I just wish Sonic would be given to Nintendo or Platinum games or damn near anyone else, with Iizuka and some of the old Sonic Team veterans going wherever Sonic goes. Sega of Japan has always been fucking stupid.

I'm worried about an SA remake because I see one of two things happening. One is that the game is a 1:1 recreation of the original, same coding and all, just new graphics (similar to Halo Anniversary). This will piss people off because they'll just bring up all the original bugs and problems the game has and that the game aged poorly and how more work should have been done with it. The second possibility is that they change quite a few things to make the game more "modern". Then people get pissed off cause it's not a "faithful recreation" or some dumb shit like that.

I suppose Iizuka may be able to pull it off if he aims for a type of middle ground of those two possibilities, but I see that as being quite tricky to do. Good luck, Iizuka.

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, McGroose said:

It was probably the least stressful time of his career compared to now, hence the fondness lol

I mean, when you're in charge of a team that everyone shits on 24/7 while still demanding quality content but giving inconsistent messages about you want from them (sort of), then you'd probably look fondly on the good old days. At this point, I'm surprised Iizuka's hair hasn't started turning grey and falling out from all the stress.

I really do think Iizuka is competent and can lead a team to make good games, he's been with us since Sonic 3, after all. But when you're working with less-than-talented new members on your team while also likely getting fucked over by the heads of Sega and their idiotic decision making, what really can you do? I've always been of the opinion that Iizuka does not deserve most of the blame the games get.  Honestly, at this point, I just wish Sonic would be given to Nintendo or Platinum games or damn near anyone else, with Iizuka and some of the old Sonic Team veterans going wherever Sonic goes. Sega of Japan has always been fucking stupid.

I'm worried about an SA remake because I see one of two things happening. One is that the game is a 1:1 recreation of the original, same coding and all, just new graphics (similar to Halo Anniversary). This will piss people off because they'll just bring up all the original bugs and problems the game has and that the game aged poorly and how more work should have been done with it. The second possibility is that they change quite a few things to make the game more "modern". Then people get pissed off cause it's not a "faithful recreation" or some dumb shit like that.

I suppose Iizuka may be able to pull it off if he aims for a type of middle ground of those two possibilities, but I see that as being quite tricky to do. Good luck, Iizuka.

Your post is one reason I have some doubts about a straight on SA1 remake. You're exactly right IMO, theres really a lot that could go wrong here. Either they get everything 1:1 and all the problems that came with the original are brought to 2021, or they change it so much that it's a totally different game. It's not going to appeal to its target audience and not going to win over the casuals either if it's a shell of an idea they didnt really ask for.

Now I think the next game is going to have some strong Adventure influence no matter what, but it makes more sense IMO to do a totally new title that takes cues from those games. You can avoid so much of the baggage and potential pitfalls this way. And as much as I love SA1 I think I'd prefer a new title anyway, not to mention the fact that we dont ever really see outright remakes of things in this franchise. In all my years of being a fan, SEGA has always seemed to prefer the "try something new" approach, even when it's not necessary and even when it's rehashing old ideas with a new, inferior can of paint.

If it were me, the only way I'd ever slap the adventure badge on anything at this point, is if I already adopted a successful 3D formula and knew the game would be a hit with critics and fans. We are not at that point yet. So I'd rather see some of the better elements come back with fully 3D gameplay, and then work to an eventual full-on fanservice title.

19 hours ago, McGroose said:

Yeah, there’s a lot that could go wrong. But that’s why I put in those “if” qualifiers. 

40 minutes ago, The Famous Sonic said:

Well E3 got cancelled! 

Can't say I'm surprised. I hope they can make a vaccine for Coronavirus sooner rather than later.