Awoo.

Sonic 30th predictions

UpCDownCLeftCRightC

15 minutes ago, Soniman said:

OH SHIT ITS TIME LET'S GOOOOOO ITS HAPPENING GET HYPED etc

Yeah no its a nice thought but I ain't holding me breath.

Incedentally I can't even remember a time Sega has ever shadow dropped a reveal without any sort of lead in before like a conference or stream or even direct. They never surprise us like that 

Ironically enough, Sonic Colours was exactly this back in 2010. They uploaded the trailer randomly to YouTube one day, and the press release came a little bit later. I think that the first trailer that did the rounds was the Italian one of all things. American fans were having a bit of a crisis over that stray "u" in "colours".

Colours was announced when S4E1 was only supposed to be a few months away, before it got delayed. SEGA were really positioning S4E1 as the big new game to get Sonic back in the good graces of the fans and critics, whilst Colours was positioned as something much less important and more like it was being churned out for the younger or more causal fanbase. I don't think that SEGA knew their audience at all back then...

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Too Many Rings 1

40 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

I don't think that SEGA knew their audience at all back then...

Some things never change 

• Chuckle 5
  • Absolutely 1

So when nothing happens tomorrow beyond like 5 people's expectations being broken by some random 4chan dude's nonsense, can we go back to wondering when Sonic Rift is going to come out or are we still expecting the Sonic Adventure remake instead? 

1 hour ago, Blue Blood said:

Ironically enough, Sonic Colours was exactly this back in 2010. They uploaded the trailer randomly to YouTube one day, and the press release came a little bit later. I think that the first trailer that did the rounds was the Italian one of all things. American fans were having a bit of a crisis over that stray "u" in "colours".

Colours was announced when S4E1 was only supposed to be a few months away, before it got delayed. SEGA were really positioning S4E1 as the big new game to get Sonic back in the good graces of the fans and critics, whilst Colours was positioned as something much less important and more like it was being churned out for the younger or more causal fanbase. I don't think that SEGA knew their audience at all back then...

The farthest back I can find the announcement trailer for Colors was May 25th, 2010. It may have come out a day or two before that somewhere else, but it came out in late may of that year regardless. I think Generations was the only game that had a teaser trailer released in April, the rest all came out in May or June, iirc. Sonic 4 ep1 and 2 were exceptions to this, I think. Ep2 was announced in January and ep1 was announced in February, correct me if I'm wrong. 

I feel like everyone worried or annoyed that Sega is taking too long to show us stuff have forgotten that the majority of Sonic game announcements happen in May, with a few happening in June. Next to nothing happens in April. Just because Sega revealed nothing for over 3 years doesn't mean their traditional yearly reveal timing has to have changed to compensate. It certainly would have been better if that were the case, but not necessarily expected. I was expecting the big info to come out in May from the start anyway, not earlier.

If we get nothing in May, then ya something is almost definitely fucked.

10 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Some things never change 

Lol 

Well to be fair, they were right about S4E1 performing well with critics and being liked by everyone who thought Sonic only worked in 2D because 2D is inherently better, without a story or different characters and invoked memories of the Classics. It was a short term fix though, cause Colours performed well with all parties and S4E2 eventually tanked and killed the mini-series.

4 minutes ago, McGroose said:

So when nothing happens tomorrow beyond like 5 people's expectations being broken by some random 4chan dude's nonsense, can we go back to wondering when Sonic Rift is going to come out or are we still expecting the Sonic Adventure remake instead? 

The farthest back I can find the announcement trailer for Colors was May 25th, 2010. It may have come out a day or two before that somewhere else, but it came out in late may of that year regardless. I think Generations was the only game that had a teaser trailer released in April, the rest all came out in May, iirc. Sonic 4 ep1 and 2 were exceptions to this, I think. Ep2 was announced in January and ep1 was announced in February, correct me if I'm wrong. 

I feel like everyone worried or annoyed that Sega is taking too long to show us stuff have forgotten that the majority of Sonic game announcements happen in May, with a few happening in June. Next to nothing happens in April. Just because Sega revealed nothing for over 3 years doesn't mean their traditional yearly reveal timing has to have changed to compensate. It certainly would have been better if that were the case, but not necessarily expected. I was expecting the big info to come out in May from the start anyway, not earlier.

If we get nothing in May, then ya something is almost definitely fucked.

Yeah, Colours was a May announcement. When I said it was the Italian trailer shown off first, I mean that's the one that was uploaded to YouTube and got traction before the others. It was a matter of a couple of hours at the most, and seemed more like one department at SEGA clicked "go" slightly ahead of schedule. Sonic games are usually announced in Spring for release at the end of the same year. Discounting the fact that it was teased as Project Sonic 2017 as part of the 25th anniversary party almost a year earlier, even Forces was first unveiled and formally named at SXSW 2018. If there's any new game coming this year, I think that May.it's the most likely month for it to be announced. A remake/remaster such as Colours Ultimate could be announced later than that even if it is releasing this year, just because of the nature of there being very little new to talk about. I'm only guessing though.

Well it’s not exactly something I find interesting, but I suppose Generations will have to do.  It’s at least better than Colors, final boss aside.

Ah yes, remastering a game which includes remastered versions of old stages.

The Sonic way. Living in the past.

At least that would mean we finally get the DLC Generations levels we wanted to have, in a roundabout stupid way.

But yeah, I doubt it.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

At least that would mean we finally get the DLC Generations levels we wanted to have, in a roundabout stupid way.

But yeah, I doubt it.

That's some pretty wishful thinking, they'd never do that. The only thing I imagine they'd change would be the resolution and framerate, and that'd only be applicable to the console ports. They'll also add additional languages and maybe an unlockable audio dialogue about the development of the game or something, but I see Sega's creativity stopping there.

If you have a PC, Generations remastered would probably make Skyrim Special Edition look like a full remake of Skyrim in comparison. I doubt they'd remaster much of anything beyond the absolute basics. It'll really only be a remaster if you're playing on console because of the resolution and framerate boost. I doubt they'd add any additional graphical enhancements.

Maybe I'm just being cynical, idk

Sonic 1 & 2 getting some form of new port is probably the safest bet you can make at any time,

https://zippospeaks.blogspot.com/2021/04/some-interesting-things-are-going-on.html?m=1

Zippo made a new post on his blog.

In short: it says SEGA Press site was updated behind the scenes with duplicates of some mobile games, for rebranding reasons, and they were put into a directory that is not seen anywhere on the site, it's a new one numbered 179, it's completely new and these mobile games will be there in addition to (probably) whatever is gonna be announced, presumably soon? This is also basically speculation based on this small update but he says the common tag for these rebranded mobile games was "Sonic 30th anniversary".

It doesn't mean much, just that we are slowly moving towards possible news.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Jack-al said:

https://zippospeaks.blogspot.com/2021/04/some-interesting-things-are-going-on.html?m=1

Zippo made a new post on his blog.

In short: it says SEGA Press site was updated behind the scenes with duplicates of some mobile games, for rebranding reasons, and they were put into a directory that is not seen anywhere on the site, it's a new one numbered 179, it's completely new and these mobile games will be there in addition to (probably) whatever is gonna be announced, presumably soon? This is also basically speculation based on this small update but he says the common tag for these rebranded mobile games was "Sonic 30th anniversary".

It doesn't mean much, just that we are slowly moving towards possible news.

Rebranding mobile games, ey? I wonder if they're gearing up to rebrand Sonic Forces Speed Battle (even though they just recently dropped the "Speed Battle" from the name) to relate it to whatever the next upcoming game is. Would be a nice way to refresh the game and extend its life.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Postmodern Sonic said:

Rebranding mobile games, ey? I wonder if they're gearing up to rebrand Sonic Forces Speed Battle (even though they just recently dropped the "Speed Battle" from the name recently) to relate it to whatever the next upcoming game is. Would be a nice way to refresh the game and extend its life.

I hope so. I know a lot of people love that game, I do too, it's the only game where we can race online with a bunch of characters including some obscure ones, They better keep it alive, yeah. I wouldn't be surprised honestly, after the did the tie-in with the movie, they could just turn it into Sonic Dash Racing or something, or connect it to the next game.

18 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Sonic 1 & 2 getting some form of new port is probably the safest bet you can make at any time,

But who wants to play them for the 16 857th time? If they were re-imagined... maybe then..

Younger fans just getting into the series. Older fans who are revisiting the series for the first time in years. Fans who have played the games 16,856 times already and would like their favorite games to be conveniently accessible on modern platforms.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Cosmos Rogue said:

conveniently accessible on modern platforms

They already are so any additional ports will need to have something to justify a purchase.

• Thumbs Up 2

No game for 2021, but it gets announced at E3 in June. Something we haven't seen before, something we wanted but also didn't, a big "Ok, and?" from fans, general neutral response from press. New Sonic voice actor gets revealed at the event or sometime in the following months. Colors remake is also announced at e3, generally doesn't look exciting except for better graphics. A party/racer is unveiled later in the year. That's my safest bet, but even then it might be farfetched for good ol' sega...

I doubt comic book is specialized in video games, so I wouldn't take it seriously. But the leaker's name is "Eclipse" on twitter apparently. Never heard of them. 

It says a remaster and a spin-off on Switch. Plus Zelda remasters (Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask!)

Edit: They said he leaked Diamond/Pearl remakes and their chibi style.

On 4/26/2021 at 12:38 PM, BlueFlare said:

But who wants to play them for the 16 857th time? If they were re-imagined... maybe then..

People buy Skyrim up despite its numerous rereleases. I don't understand those people, either. Then again, as sacrilege as it may be, I'm not particularly impressed by either title.

10 hours ago, Jack-al said:

Edit: They said he leaked Diamond/Pearl remakes and their chibi style.

Well that makes me buy it a little. I'm still going to take it with a grain of salt and also hope the "Spin off" part is a misunderstanding and he meant a new game. 

The remaster is almost certainly Colors Ultimate though.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yes; spin-off could refer to the next 2D game?  (in particular if something about the gameplay is new and different)

14 hours ago, expansivelovestories said:

Yes; spin-off could refer to the next 2D game?  (in particular if something about the gameplay is new and different)

Sonic Boom 3 for Nintendo Switch. Now with more enerbeam!

I wonder what Sonic Rush would be considered these days. Would that qualify as a spin off? I'd love to see a Sonic Rush HD for Switch if it carried the charm of the original game. I just fear we'd end up with something more akin to Sonic 4 but with the boost and Blaze....or Sonic Generations 3DS 🤢